You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Chieroballista
Bottom
Topic Subject:Chieroballista
BlackSun88
Banned
posted 22 August 2007 04:16 PM EDT (US)         
In what scenarios is it legit to make cheiroballista?

I always find them to be slow and not worth it.

I use them in atty wars and against infantry heavy civ but I'm not sure what is the time to sart making them as they tend to rape the economy.
AuthorReplies:
maggioli
Mortal
posted 22 August 2007 04:57 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
Hmm, how about against Loki (or a norse rush) because of their low pierce armor? If you are Gaia (cheap wood) or Kronos (cheap siege, I believe it includes the cheiros) you can afford a couple of those to help your towers? Of course, you will still want to have the standard Murm/Turma and maybe a couple of Katas?

Also if Eggy classical fights (common against Atties it seems?) this unit does not really have a counter other than myth units (maybe flanking with spearmen, but still not that good). Also, if they are bringing tons of hops (Zeus) than you may need a few of these...
Farrel
Banned
posted 22 August 2007 04:57 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
Use them if your initial 4:00/4:30 is owned, and you are pushed back to your base. Massed cheiros behind buildings are very tough to get rid of. You shouldnt stop all turma production ever, as they are your only classical raider.

Mix a few in during late classical, say having 1-2 crax aq turm/cheiro isntead of straight turm, esp vs norse/atty or god forbid a classical-fighting Egyptian.

Best inf counters are fanatics, and arcus are a better bet heroic onwards tbh.
pcgamer7070
Mortal
posted 22 August 2007 05:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
dont build chero in the beginning of the game because they are to expensive. build them when you have a strong eco.
TTK_GeneralNoob
Mortal
posted 22 August 2007 05:28 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
Here's a recent thread:
http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,25341,,all

Worth a read even if it doesn't 100% answer ur question.

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
-Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
-Vagabond Tom.

[This message has been edited by TTK_GeneralNoob (edited 08-22-2007 @ 05:40 PM).]

Shanks13
Rogue Agent
posted 22 August 2007 05:30 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
Build them later when you actually see real battles beginning and your economy is hopefully established while theirs is not (due to your raiding). I find that unless you micro well and have several other unit types as guards, cherios will be murdered by infantry with ease. If the cherios stay away from infantry, they can win.

Ubermode
Banned
posted 22 August 2007 07:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
i consider anybody who makes cheiroballista a noob, because it means they are turtling and that i probably wont beat them before they manage to get a titan out.
yoma
Banned
posted 23 August 2007 00:15 AM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
i consider anybody who makes cheiroballista a noob, because it means they are turtling and that i probably wont beat them before they manage to get a titan out.
lol, ur supposed to never give thir economy a moments' peace, while your economy is booming.

then you pull out a titan and own them.
NiceHorus
Mortal
posted 23 August 2007 12:04 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
Well precisely speaking I think that in atty wars the first one turn on cherios is usually the one wins.

Still, it depends on your economic. There are very little things could really harm them if you mix them with Katas and turmas.

Cherios is the last thing I ever want to face in battle as eggy, though I know how to counter them.
Caboose_Nor
Mortal
posted 23 August 2007 12:45 PM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
Do attys use katas vs other attys though? I didn't think they did..
NiceHorus
Mortal
posted 23 August 2007 01:04 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
Sry my fault.

I mean vs. other race especially vs. Eggy elephant spammers, and with myself being one of elephant spammers I can tell that is a rape combination vs. elephants.

Atty vs. Atty especially kronos vs. kronos, the one shift on cherios first usually wins.

I didn't say that, irnoob did.
yoma
Banned
posted 24 August 2007 02:07 AM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
why though???
like i said, it is one thing to know that... but it is another to know why,
Cheddar Chap
Mortal
(id: The Cheese Man)
posted 24 August 2007 03:05 AM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
So, basically you are saying that you think people who beat you... Are worse at the game?

█▄ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀
I too always thought "blog" would sound less silly as the years went by.
Mozzarella Man Cheddar Chap, Brie Bloke, Gorgonzola Guy, Feta Fellow, Wensleydale Warrior, Edam Emperor, Parmesan Priest,
Munster Mate, Asiago Associate, Provolone Player, Havarti Hunk, Romano Rabbi, Swiss Soldier, Limburger Lass, Gouda Gentleman
VB_WhiplashJC
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 03:32 AM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
no hard counters (katas dont count)

www.vbclan.net - Aussie/Kiwi AoT and AoE3 clan
NiceHorus
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 05:18 AM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
Generally speaking, cherios are good for:

(1)Stupidly Long range (20)
(2)High pierce armor (50% as start)
(3)Ridicilious bonus damage against every single infantry, including destroyers ( 5X damage vs destroyers!!!)
(4)Good vs. Buildings for some strange reason.

There is a counter for eggy in heroic, a wierd counter, and probably the only real counter of cherios in the whole game. That is why eggy can own atty badly when executed well.

An experienced eggy player can usually make the atty player of the same level go insane, while he sits and sees the enemy units struggle. Same applies to when Oranos vs. zeus, zeus player will struggle badly most of time.

Other than eggy, you probably have to use either massive cavalaries with full pierce and mix anti-infantry to break through, or massive myth units, which would cost a lot and vulunerable to any atty heroes.

BTW, cherios will always be automatically positioned at the back of formation. So when you chase them, they will be exposed. Villagers on them, it is a viable solution as villagers get a small bonus on them, while they get nothing vs. villagers.

This is a weak counter vs. cherios for all races other than eggy, surely eggy can do it as well but they get better times to fight cherios.

Regards.

[This message has been edited by NiceHorus (edited 08-24-2007 @ 05:26 AM).]

Holy Diver
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 05:58 AM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
20's a pretty standard range. Most archers I've sene tend to have about 20. Stupidly long range is upgrades siege ships : )

"Well blow my Gjallarhornid! It's Skeggi Battlehands!"
NiceHorus
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 06:54 AM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
You only get that 30 ranged ship in Myth...FTW...And on water FTW...

But u get Cherios in Classical...

How many units you can get in Classical even heroic with 20 range and reasonably movement and attack vs. units? FTW...
maggioli
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 10:16 AM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
Hmm, regarding countering cheiros as eggy... NiceHorus, are you thinking of siege (eggy heroic towers)? That would be a weird counter but I think I read somewhere that cheiros are weak against siege (so maybe the norse can counter them with their siege as well?) Or am I just imagining stuff :-) ?
Shanks13
Rogue Agent
posted 24 August 2007 04:04 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
Cherio's range is fine, their accuracy isn't great anyways.

High pierce armor isn't a big problem. You shouldn't be using archers on the cherios anyways. Any hack unit/building will beat a cherio due to it's low(!) health, assuming that the building can attack and the unit isn't some far off ulfsark that has to run around a stand of trees to start whacking at the thing.

Sucks against buildings. Takes way too long to take down even a house.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames