You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Dealing with stubborn AoT players
Bottom
Topic Subject:Dealing with stubborn AoT players
yoma
Banned
posted 24 August 2007 01:03 AM EDT (US)         
I play with my friend every once in a while, and he is downright horrible.
Nicehorus said he was 1550, but he is ~1600.

I can't help this kid, I tell him never to farm once you hit the classical when there are still hunts around, and he says, "No, I won't do that, Farming is more reliable"

I am thinking "WTF!!!!!!!!"

I told him hunts are way faster than farms and he doesn't listen, he still replies "Farms are more reliable, because they dont dissapear."

MORE WTF!

I was playing and i was raiding and attacking and he points to the map and shows his army. It was like 10 hops and a cent at ~10:00.

I play with his little brother all the time, he actually listens to me and is ~1660.

So, i want to know, How do you think that i can help the stubborn get better, when he doesn't listen??

NOTE: I have pointed out i am ~1700 and he is a full 100 points lower.
AuthorReplies:
WNxWylde1
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 01:13 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Try to talk calmy to him, show him some proof, give him examples, and demonstrate

And if that doesnt work, rub it in about his lil bro.
VB_WhiplashJC
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 01:16 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
just beat the crap out of him time and time again til he realises that your way might be better.

www.vbclan.net - Aussie/Kiwi AoT and AoE3 clan
yoma
Banned
posted 24 August 2007 01:26 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
Try to talk calmy to him, show him some proof, give him examples, and demonstrate
argh, he asks so condescending in real life, its hard to teach him in the game.

lol, did this, he said "I'll ignore that comment"
just beat the crap out of him time and time again til he realises that your way might be better.
can't. He says "NO MORE 1v1, I don't want to get beat anymore"

Ya see?
He knows that he is worse than me, but isn't willing to get better, and it is at my expense (in 2v2)
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 02:49 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
I will refrain from putting up the question whether such an arrogant person is a desirable friend to have.

Yoma, I think the problem is your eagerness to teach him. It apparently hurts his self-esteem. There is no guaranteed solution for this (especially as I do not know your friend), but IMHO your best chance is to simply refuse to team up with him. Tell him that you are sorry and it is nothing personal, but playing with him as an ally is just too frustrating and no fun because he simply plays so weak.

Right now, upholding his ego is obviously more important for him than improving in the game. You will only stiffen this stance if you attack his ego by confronting him with the superior performance of his little brother. Instead, show respect for his stance. Let him know that it is okay for you if he wants to play the game this way, but unfortunately you two can no longer play in the same team under those circumstances, because it is just too frustrating for you, so the game would no longer be fun for you. This way you explain that it is not him who has a problem, it is you. This will relieve pressure from his apparently-hurt ego and he will ask himself the question whether he really wants no longer to play with you, or whether it might be desirable to hone his skills and improve. When he reaches this point, do not make the mistake of instantly overrunning him again with your ideas what he should change (no matter how right you may be). Instead, suggest that he should play some rated 1v1 against random internet opponents, as this is the best school there is for AoM. If he says that he prefers 2v2, tell him that you are sorry, but it won't be fun for you as it is right now, so you will not do it. You will, however, be glad to team up with him once he reaches an ESO rating of, say, 1660 (or whatever you deem necessary). If for some reason he manages to get that rating without changing his build, then he must be able to compensate by being a breathtaking raider or something, which would also suffice to be an overall decent ally.

Playing 1v1 in the internet will be a frustrating experience for him because he will get his ass handed to him on a plate with his farming policy. He will likely end up asking you what he can do about it - or he may simply complain about op gods and civs. Either way, again do not be too eager with your suggestions. Instead, tell him that the best way of learning is to watch and analyze replays in which he lost, and that you two can do it together. When you do so, compare the builds of him and his opponent. Make him aware that his opponent hunts and gets immediate hunting dogs, and make him aware how much more resources his opponent ends up having. Tell him: "Look, your opponent has like 300 more food as early as 5:00! No surprise that he beats you! Perhaps you should work on your build order." If the truth has not yet dawned to him until then, he may ask you exactly what he could change. Then will be the right time to tell him that hunting might be the way to go.

With this approach, you cautiously lead your friend to the truth without forcing him into a blocking stance by hurting his ego with the statement that even his little bro plays better than he does.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
Black_Oni
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 04:10 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
i can see where he's comin from cuz i like farming better but i still hunt its just that farming is usually in the middle of ur city and with hunting u have to go out of ur city to get to it but just tell him to do a 1v1 u put say 5 villies on hunt and he puts like 5-10 villies on farming and see who has the most foon in 10 mins or so

My first Kronos games I played on ESO Mid 2007.
Kronos(me) vs Possy~1600 to 1621 - Failed Raid Good Titan Recovery
Kronos(me) vs Kronos~1621 to 1636 - Very Awesome Successful Krush
Kronos(me) vs Loki~1636 to 1652 - Failed Krush Great Recovery
Member Since - 04-16-2007
Main ESO Names - RmC_Avatar, neva_wins, Norrin Radd
Devil_Exile
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 04:28 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
Well just don't play with him. If he doesn't listen, why aks him to play in the first place? When I get a partner who doesn't listen to what I say, I don't stickybeak. I just leave the fool alone, then when he asks for help...you know what comes next
a_game_a_win
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 12:04 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
farming=less micro. thats why he likes it.
WNxWylde1
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 07:20 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
amen.

With the exception of creating new farms, and assigning villagers.

That really pisses me off.

P.S. How many vils is he using to farm with?

pps.

lol, did this, he said "I'll ignore that comment"
what a *****

lol

[This message has been edited by WNxWylde1 (edited 08-24-2007 @ 07:22 PM).]

Ironclaw77
Mortal
posted 24 August 2007 10:14 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Wylde1, easy on the enter button their...
Could've been a much shorter post...

Direct him to this site.

-Ironclaw77

I R O N C L A W 7 7
Everything that shines ain't always
gonna be gold.
NiceHorus
Mortal
posted 25 August 2007 06:32 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
In my case is just stop playing with him.

Not everybody really want to get better. For example me, I am not just tired of getting better so that's why all people have seen me using those 15++ and 15-- accounts and wandering around, doing neither rated games nor real advanced matches.
Black_Oni
Mortal
posted 25 August 2007 09:53 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
dont just stop playing with him, cuz hes not very good especially if hes ur friend

My first Kronos games I played on ESO Mid 2007.
Kronos(me) vs Possy~1600 to 1621 - Failed Raid Good Titan Recovery
Kronos(me) vs Kronos~1621 to 1636 - Very Awesome Successful Krush
Kronos(me) vs Loki~1636 to 1652 - Failed Krush Great Recovery
Member Since - 04-16-2007
Main ESO Names - RmC_Avatar, neva_wins, Norrin Radd
Superusername
Mortal
posted 25 August 2007 03:13 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
Just play a different game with him like warrock or halo
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to: