You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.25 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » I do NOT like the new changes! :(
Bottom
Topic Subject:I do NOT like the new changes! :(
Yamato
Mortal
posted 14 January 2002 06:52 PM EDT (US)         
http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,2603,1,10

-I was totally for the 3 ages instead of 4. I wonder why they changed it?
-I think the one God power per age sucks. This just makes it even more of a race to the last age. It is just like an upgrade now. If they had done it right I would have preferred to see it balanced such that although there was no LIMIT to God powers, it would only be practical/useful to do maybe 1 or 2 a game.
-I loved the idea of only heroes being able to do a God power. It made sense, and I liked the gameplay factor that you could protect against God powers by defending against heroes. Now they could come from anywhere at any time which is lame. Why should just any shmuck villager be able to call down a God power?

H, C, C, H, C, C, H, C, C, H, C, C

[This message has been edited by Yamato (edited 01-14-2002 @ 06:58 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 14 January 2002 07:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 25       
1.) Less ages means less chance for your enemy to get a profound advantage over you.

2.) Greater incentive to get to the next age could to some extent discourage rushing, or discourage rushing from hitting as early.

3.) What if your hero got killed? What if your opponent had a hero and you didn't? Just being able to use the powers to start off with makes more sense.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
Foe_Hammer
Mortal
posted 14 January 2002 07:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 25       
i too dislike the idea of the hero no longer being the one to cast the god power..now it will be so much easier to throw godpowers from a distance without consiquence

I come from under the hill , and under the hill and over the hills my paths have led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen. I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the stinging fly.I was chosen for the lucky number.
I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them alive again from the water. I came from the end of a bag, but no bag went over me. I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider

Bronze_Giant 7
Mortal
posted 14 January 2002 08:50 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25       
This will give u a change of heart Picture this: You: Yawn! oh look cyclops are attackin the town im soo scared hmmm... lets see ive only used the meteor shows 20 times i guess i could use it again. That would make the game boring think about it yer only a couple of minutes in da game and you win cause u used the GPs like 20 times on the enemy then the game would be the least sellin game ever and say the enemy player keeps on usin god powers over and over and over and over again how would that be fair to you or the other players god powers are spossed to enhance the game not make it 300x easier!!! and who cares if the heroes arent the ones who call apon the gods, i like the fact that now, the heroes will act as a anti-MU cause if normal units take to long to kill an MU you can always get a hero tell me would you rather have no anti-MU or a anti-MU?
Jus
Mortal
posted 14 January 2002 08:59 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25       
I too disagree with the 1 gor power per age thing bacause wouldn't it make the less powerful god powers redundant(if i had to choose only 1 each age i would surely choose the most damaging ones)? I feel it would be better under the favour system as it would not be possible to overuse as you have to share that resource which has a limit with myth units too.
ES_Swinger
Mortal
posted 14 January 2002 09:21 PM EDT (US)     5 / 25       
Have faith in us guys, believe me, the game is shaping up wonderfully. Having the hero cast the god powers was really not fun to be honest, it just wasn't working out well at all. Having the god powers work this way is VERY strategic, having to decide when to cast them and where.

-Swinger

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 14 January 2002 09:29 PM EDT (US)     6 / 25       
Heh, this concept has an inverse temptation to it but in this case....It may sound good on paper but it does not do well in action. Since Swinger replied and trying to ensure us that everything will be ok, then I have faith.

Always be prepared to be dissappointed when following a game development. But be delighted when it is released....at least I hope this is the case.

Immhotep
Mortal
posted 14 January 2002 10:01 PM EDT (US)     7 / 25       

Quoted from TheShadowDawn:

Greater incentive to get to the next age could to some extent discourage rushing, or discourage rushing from hitting as early.

Greater incentive to get to the next age *does not* discourage rushing! It will infact encourage it even more! Have you ever heard of Feudal Rushing in AoK and AoC? The main reason why expert players rush as quick as they can to Feudal age because they can rush .

MurphGuitar
Mortal
(id: Sir William of Pork)
posted 15 January 2002 03:55 PM EDT (US)     8 / 25       
I love the changes. From the very first time I played the AOK demo I enjoyed advancing to a new age and having new buildings, units and techs to make/train/research. The more ages the better I says. And don't you remember one of the first ever AOM movies, some hero goes into this fray just to cast a god power? What if there's archers in that group? The hero might not live long enough to get to the spot you wanted the god power to happen, and even if he did, he wouldn't survive after the god power. So great, give up a schmuck villager. I think that says something awesome about the gods in the game that they'll listen to anyone who needs help and not just some big shot hero.

And god power per age, well, they had to limit it somehow or that's all that would happen in the game. I think it would be more fun to play AOM with 4 god powers per game than only 1 or 2 as Yamato suggested.

Defy me at your peril
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 15 January 2002 03:59 PM EDT (US)     9 / 25       
I liked the 3-ages idea also, but I believe ES know how to ballance the game better than me, so I trust they'll give us an excellent game ... and the best thing is... more ages = more structures

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect
pokethejohn
Mortal
posted 15 January 2002 04:24 PM EDT (US)     10 / 25       
ES brought us wonderful games before. And there the ones playing ti right now. We have no idea how these changes affect game play. Im pretty sure ES knows what there doing.

Personal site- www.stellar-sky.net/immix -not active at the moment.
AOM site I help run- www.age-of-myth.com -check out the new layout.
Age site I post news for- www.aoe2.com -back up and running

rEarranged
Mortal
posted 15 January 2002 08:41 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25       
I havn't liked any of the changes taking place since December...
ES_DeathShrimp
Immortal
posted 16 January 2002 12:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25       

Quote:

-I was totally for the 3 ages instead of 4. I wonder why they changed it?

DS: Advancing in age became so cool in the game that we wanted to do it more than twice.

Quote:

-I think the one God power per age sucks. This just makes it even more of a race to the last age. It is just like an upgrade now. If they had done it right I would have preferred to see it balanced such that although there was no LIMIT to God powers, it would only be practical/useful to do maybe 1 or 2 a game.

DS: You are thinking from an AOK perspective, where going up in age was strictly better and always a no-brainer. It is more fun to see lots of God Powers in a game, but know that you won't lose just because Jimmy economic player is hiding behind his walls lobbing Meteor after Meteor at you.

Quote:

-I loved the idea of only heroes being able to do a God power. It made sense, and I liked the gameplay factor that you could protect against God powers by defending against heroes. Now they could come from anywhere at any time which is lame. Why should just any shmuck villager be able to call down a God power?

DS: I don't know what Villagers have to do with God Powers. When you think about mythology, do you think about Heracles or Odysseus or Sigurd calling down Meteors? Except in Egyptian mythology, heroes were typically guys with weapons out on the front lines cleaving giants and minotaurs. Although we usually focus on counters for every strategy, God Powers are a lot more fun knowing that they will always be effective, but will never end the game when used against you. Think of them like wild cards -- they're great, but you better save them for when you really need them.

kiasersosa
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 03:01 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25       
But how is it fun to have a g-d powered called against you. Lets say you have a great navy that you spend most of the game building ready to engage the enemy. All of a sudden a hurrican (using EE but apply a parrellel) comes and sweeps your navy away. You loose the sea and therefore the game.

in EE atleast if you are in deep waters you can avoid huricanes and if you kill the profit first you are also saved.

Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 16 January 2002 03:16 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25       
Losing a whole navy? I think it's safe to say that there won't be a god power that is that insanely out of whack.

It may well come as a relief to have a god power used against you. If you're raiding an enemy and they have to use it to defend their town, you don't have to worry about it anymore. Could be especially cool if you have some more units waiting in the wings.

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 01-16-2002 @ 03:19 PM).]

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 03:16 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25       
After he casts it, build another navy. It will no longer be a threat.
1ArCHeR1
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 06:46 PM EDT (US)     16 / 25       
*Thinks for a sec* *comes up with US revolution tactic in AOM*

Send in an army of regular units such as infantry, etc. It seems like you're overwhelming them, so they use a god power. That's when you come in with your army of cavalry, seige, and myth units and wipe him out.

"You can get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun, than you can with just a kind word." -The Coolest New Yorker (Robert DeNiro)
<A><R>
teutonicknight
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 07:46 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25       
Another solution to not killing yourself with godpowers is to place your units/ships/ buildings far away from each other, then a metor strikes of hurricanes won't be so damaging.

Copyright 2000-2002 teutonicknight LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Ultima_Knight
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 07:57 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25       
4 ages = better. I like the variations in architecture, epsecially in the editor. + more God powers per game.

Unfortunately, I would also say inf response to DS's "Jimmy Economic" comment, that it is good, but wouldn't holing yourself up make you a prime target for godly smitings?
One blow might knock this type of player out.

I'm sure you people will know what to do, though.

(There ARE triggers in the editor to make god powers occur, right?)

Heroes only... interesting, but you can't re-create heroes, can you? I think any villager "praying" for help from a god to cast a lightning bolt on an army advancing towards your TC (or whatever building it is) is extremely useful, especially when your heroe's off conquesting.

As for defending against god powers:

Since when can a bunch of soldiers and "schmuck villagers" take on the will of a god?

-Ultima_Knight

how is this for a quote

[This message has been edited by Ultima_Knight (edited 01-16-2002 @ 07:59 PM).]

rEarranged
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 08:08 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25       
Why don't we have alittle fun and make it 5 ages...
teutonicknight
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 08:09 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25       
I agree. 4 ages= better
Real
Mortal
posted 17 January 2002 12:10 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25       
But then again it sounds like the game will be lasting longer.Not a fast game, or is going through the ages now easier?

I liked the 3-ages idea because it was something new, AoE= 4 ages, AoK/C= 4 ages, and now also AoM= 4 ages, but it'll be good I think.

The more difference of architecture (sp?) is a very big + of course!

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 17 January 2002 08:14 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25       
I like the news about the god powers very much. They are in but can in no way be exploited to wreck the game. The limit makes it okay to take away the requirement of having the hero nearby. Now you can try to trick the enemy into using an offensive god power at the wrong moment, and if I get it right you might also need to choose between using an economic or an attacking god power as you go along. But as it seems there are many details around these things that are still subject to adustment.

About the ages we will just have to see how it works in the end. More is necessarily neither better or worse. But given that the first age is supposed to be much more playable than in the earlier games then perhaps the fourth age is an indication that there is even more units and upgrades in there. Perhaps it came out naturally as the mythical units started to fit into the game all the more during development.

Now all that I could ever worry about is how many Anubites one could possibly churn out one you set ones mind to it.

Foe_Hammer
Mortal
posted 17 January 2002 08:16 PM EDT (US)     23 / 25       
if they screw up there is always Warcraft 3....but i trust the guys they have not failed me yet

I come from under the hill , and under the hill and over the hills my paths have led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen. I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the stinging fly.I was chosen for the lucky number.
I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them alive again from the water. I came from the end of a bag, but no bag went over me. I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider

zam zap
Mortal
posted 17 January 2002 08:54 PM EDT (US)     24 / 25       
FOE HAMMER where do you live in New Jersey?

ZAM WILL ZAPATH!!

ThorsHammer_
Mortal
posted 18 January 2002 09:15 AM EDT (US)     25 / 25       
Well about the ages, think back too Aok. Adding the 4th age in AOM, pretty much gives you another age too have fun with the game, before everyone goes crazy-crazy with the "imp" age and building up all the military units you can afford, and hope you win.

Also, I am pretty sure we dont know half of the information regarding gp's either. Have we played the game? Have we actually seen how a gp affects the course of the game? I dont know about you feller's, but I sure havent.

P.S. A hurricane wont wipe out your navy. I think it will just make you run away for a few minutes while the hurricane runs it's course, and gives the defender a chance to build up some towers and ships on his sea border to defend against you. And if you just try and head back to your Docks to rebuild, seemingly making the defender's use of a gp a waste, he can then send over some ground troops, or maybe even some sea vessels to knock on you. Then again, who knows.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames