You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.29 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Even *Smarter* VILLAGERS for AoM!! (A must-read, especially for ES guys!)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Even *Smarter* VILLAGERS for AoM!! (A must-read, especially for ES guys!)
Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 01:11 AM EDT (US)         
The villagers in AoK: The conquerors were made to be “smarter” than the one in Age of Kings, so wall building resource gathering were simpler and easier. When building walls, they spread out so it is built faster and more efficient. When it comes to resource gathering, the villagers automatically begin gathering nearby resources after they built a mill, mining camp, etc. We all know this. We also know that this solved many unnecessary micromanagements and improved the game control tremendously…for the average gamers, as well as experienced ones.

With the many great improvements in economic managements in AoK: TC, one might wonder if there is any room left for more improvements in this area for AoM? (Someone might ask, “What?! It can still be improved? Are you kidding me?”) My answer is, “It can!” (Please read on, and I will explain how it can be improved and in what ways)

Have you ever watched recorded games of intermediate players? Have you ever watched recorded games played by experts? Or have you ever watched recorded games played by world champions? If you have, great! (If you haven’t, that’s ok )

I have watched many recorded games of rookies (mine, when I first started 3 years ago), intermediates, many experts (at MFO), and of world champions (Microsoft Tournament). The similarity between the experts and world champions is that they all can memorize the so-called “build order”. (Hit town center, 3 vil on sheep, 2 on berries, etc.). The difference (very interesting) between experts and world champions is that…after a while into the game, when battles erupt causing chaos and there are no build order to memorize, the world champions are better than the experts at (listen to this) maintaining their resources at a balance. They are able to shift back-and-forth among different resources more efficiently and accordingly. They never have excess of woodchoppers or miners, or whatever. If they have some extra wood and short on food, they’d take just enough woodchoppers and put them on farms, and vice versa. Expert players can also do this, but not as efficient and balanced as the world champions.

Ok… the World Champions are better than expert players, because they can adapt and adjust better, and they can shift from gathering one resource to the next more efficiently. So what?!

Hehe, let me tell you “so what”: if villagers can be made so that a player can shift from gathering one resource to the next easier and more efficiently, not only will it improve a player’s game, it will also make the econ part of the game much, much easier to learn and control, especially for the beginners and non-hardcore gamers.

Ok… this sounds very good in theory, but in practice, *how* do you make it so that shifting from gathering one resource to the next easier in AOM (so that it will reduce the unnecessary micromanagements, but not the fun ones)?

The answer is…(*drum rolls*): RESOURCE GATHERING AI STANCES! These include:

• Gather Food – villager will drop off current resource (if is not food) and switch to gathering food at the nearest drop-off location. (berries, sheep, hunt, or farm, etc. This is just the basic idea. It should be fine tuned more, becase gathering food is a little more complicated than chopping wood or mining gold, since there are many different forms of food involved.)
  • Chop Wood – villager will drop off current resource and switch to chopping wood at the nearest location. (You have 10 extra gold miners and would like 3 of them to switch to food, and 7 of them to go chop some wood? No problem! Just click the button! )
  • Mine Gold – villagers selected will switch to mining gold.

The default stance would be “normal” and the villager would behave just like in AoK: TC. If a villager is on the Chop Wood stance, and you tell it to stop, the stance would change back to the default stance.

(The AI stances could look something like this.)

(The current number of villagers on each type of resources can be displayed on a bar like this. Thanks to First Timothy for this wonderful suggestion!)

EXAMPLE

(you have 15 farmers, 20 lumberjacks, and 10 miners, and you are running low on food. You now want to take five miners and switch them to gathering food – instead of micromanaging each one, all you have to do is just select five miners and hit the gather food interface! So quick and easy )

Imagine how much unnecessary micromanagement and time this simple feature can save you, especially if you have a lot of villagers and at the same time you have to manage your army in battle!! Thx for reading! I hope ES guys read this and make this possible for AoM . If you guys have any idea relating to simpler econ management, feel free to put it here!

(Related topic: Improving trade for multiplayer)

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 01-18-2002 @ 03:05 PM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    Last_Knight
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 01:28 AM EDT (US)     1 / 29       
    Sound sool. Nice icon graphics .

The food is a problematic resource, because "food gathering sites" (aka berries) are found only in the beginning of the game, so when you click "gather food", they will eather get a risky hunting, kill your sheep (which get fatter in AoM, you might want them to live a bit longer), builfing farms (farms shouldn't be built everywhere in the map, the player should choose a strategic place)...

The Last Knight
    Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect
    Partizan
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 03:17 AM EDT (US)     2 / 29       
    This is an excelent idea!

In my opinion this would shorten the gap between skill levels of players on zone........this could be a good thing (longer battles, easier to beat off rushes etc> ) but a negative part would be that it would allow more players to reach this expert level of skill easier and not live up to the mind challenging games like we have seen ain AOK:TC. After all experiance and devotion to the game is what decides who wins the battle in the Age series of games.

"Remember man that thou art dust;
    and unto dust thou shalt return"

vladimir87
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 07:45 AM EDT (US)     3 / 29       
    Shortening the difference in ability between players is not the goal... We are not trying to make experts no better then rooks. We are not trying to make the economy easy to understand for everyone. We are not trying to make a perfect economy something reachable...

I believe that these ideas are ok as personally it does not take much time to point and click a vill to another resource. I think it could be done in AOM.

However, it is important that economy does not become incredibly easy. As Stone_Giant said a while back, the combat side of things does not have much depth. Also, I believe that there is a limit to generalship and units countering other units. If the economy is lessened as well, what is left? Do not make the economy simple ES, thanks...

-Vladimir87

TheShadowDawn
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 07:52 AM EDT (US)     4 / 29       
    Very interesting idea. I can't say it would be as refined as player controlled resource balancing, but it would still be an innovative addition the game.

TheShædøwDåwn
    If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
    First_Timothy
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 09:15 AM EDT (US)     5 / 29       
    Nice idea, but I think I would prefer a different interface for the concept. It should work by percentages instead. If you have programmed the AI you will know what I mean. The percentages are set by slider bars or on a pop-up of some kind. I don't have the slick graphics but something like this:

Villager Balance:
    |--Food 25%---+--Wood 25%---+--Gold 25%---+--Build 25%--|

The plus signs(+) would be sliders, and you could use them to set the villager balance. If you change the balance, it is adjusted the next time a villager is created or checks in at a gather site. If you move Wood to 20% and Gold to 30%, then the next time a lumberjack drops off some wood he will walk to a gold mine instead of a tree. This would continue until the selected balance was reached. Perhaps some option buttons could be provided for food gathering:

New Food Gatherers Go To:
    0 Farms 0 Shore Fish 0 Hunting 0 Berries

You would be required to place empty farms or designate farm sites where new farms should be built. Actally, I think I noticed multiple farmers on the same farm in the AusGamer videos, so this may not be necessary.

»»─ First_Timothy ─> 1 Timothy 1:5 <─ The goal is love. ─««
    TheShadowDawn
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 09:48 AM EDT (US)     6 / 29       
    Why not just put autopilot in while we're at it.

TheShædøwDåwn
    If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
    martin
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 11:07 AM EDT (US)     7 / 29       
    Even better, hire someone to play the game for you!

this has had to be the worst idea I've ever heard in this forums...and seriously, there's been a lot of bad ideas

Sorry, It's just my opinion...u put a lot of effort into your idea but I really, really, dislike it. No heart feelings

Former Leader and co-Founder of the FPH Clan

Now I just troll boards. ^_^

pokethejohn
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 11:35 AM EDT (US)     8 / 29       
    Yeah, that sounds cool.

Personal site- www.stellar-sky.net/immix -not active at the moment.
    AOM site I help run- www.age-of-myth.com -check out the new layout.
    Age site I post news for- www.aoe2.com -back up and running

WhoAskedU
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 11:50 AM EDT (US)     9 / 29       
    That is a great idea, but i have an even better idea... now i dont have "pictures" but ill use one of your pictures to get my point across...

Now in this picture right by the curser it says:

Farmers: 15
    LumberJacks: 20
    Miners: 10

now for the Greeks it would include "Worshipers: "

now say you got a lot of wood, but need farmers... all you would do is right click the one saying "LumberJacks: 20" to subtract one of the wood choppers...now another icon will appear that says "Idle Villagers: 1"
    now to put that idle villager to Farms, you would Left click "Farmers: 15". the "Idle Villagers: 1" will disappear and Farmers would say "Farmers: 16"

Now as soon as you do this one of the Woodchoppers will go and drop off his wood and (he would do "A" first, and if they cant do "A" they'll look for "B" and so on...):
    A) Start farming on an abandon farm.
    B) If you have enough wood to build a farm, go to "C)" if not, continue chopping wood, a notice will come up saying "Not enough wood to build farm".
    C) Find the nearest "lot" of land to a Town Center and build a Farm there.
    D) Find the nearest "Lot" of land to a Granary and build a farm there.

i think this would be a lot easier then yours. (no offense)

and for those of you who will wonder why i havent been on for over a month. About a month ago I fried my motherboard, which made it where i couldnt use my computer. For Christmas i got a new computer, however most of the parts they had to backorder. Which meant even after Christmas we could not get online. Infact right now i still cant get online (we havent hooked up our modum (sp?)). Right now i am at school. My home computer should be online within the next few days.

At my signal unleash HELL.
    God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
    •••winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"•••
    •••••••Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!•••••••
    People just complain about other people's Signatures because
    they aren't smart enough to make their own.
    ES_DeathShrimp
    Immortal
    posted 16 January 2002 12:00 PM EDT (US)     10 / 29       
    Do you think this might be one of those instances of the game trying to be too smart and trying to read your mind? Giving the player that kind of high level control seems like it could lead to frustration. When I task my Villagers to "mine gold", how far will they go to a new gold mine? Will they build a new dropsite? What if there is a Wolf near the Gold? What about gathering Food? Doesn't that usually involve farming in the late game? Would they build new Farms? Would they hunt dangerous animals?

One of the nice things about tasking your Villagers yourself is you know where you are sending them and what you are tasking them on. If you send them to a Gold Mine that is across the map, through enemy Towers, and next to a big pack of Wolves, you have only yourself (not the AI) to blame.

Two things we are trying to improve in AOM, however, are less of a prescribed build order, and less need for economic micromanagement in the late game when everyone is usually fighting.

Alexandergreat3
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 03:30 PM EDT (US)     11 / 29       
    Thx for reading and your comments/criticisms guys .

First, I'd like to respond to DS's question:

Do you think this might be one of those instances of the game trying to be too smart and trying to read your mind? Giving the player that kind of high level control seems like it could lead to frustration. When I task my Villagers to "mine gold", how far will they go to a new gold mine?

DS, when a player task the villager to "mine gold", I think it's best (for now) to have the vil mine at the nearest pre-built site, within the perimeter of...let's say 15 tile. Basically something such as:

(defrule
    (true)
    =>
    (set-strategic-number sn-gold-dropsite-distance 15)
    (disable-self)
    )

(defrule
    (true)
    =>
    (set-strategic-number sn-maximum-gold-drop-distance 15)
    (disable-self)
    )

As more play testing takes place, the number definitely can be move up and down to find the best medium. Quite possibly more complicated and smarter behavior can be programed to make it even better. If this can work for gold mining, it can surely be worked out for the other resources as well.

Lastly, I would like to respond to the criticism from a few fellow forumers () that econ management might be made too easy this way, and that it would take away the "microing" skill of the experts. (And to the criticism that if the game will be too simple to control, why don't just make "auto pilot"? ):

I remember when it was first revealed that in the Conquerors Xpansion, the villagers would be smarter with automatic resource gathering after they built buildings, etc., and at that time, almost everyone at MFO (particularly the good players) criticized the innovation. They said that it would take away the strong point of the expert, which is micromanaging each unit. When the Conquerors came out, what happened? Did they still criticized that innovation? They did the opposite: they applauded it (ironic isn't it!? ). Frankly, I was one of the skeptic, myself...but not after that . I'm sure many of us here were one of the non-believers, too . (Btw, has anyone here tried playing AoK again? If you haven't, try it! You will see the difference in villie control between AoK and AoK: TC )

There is a fine line between making the game easier to control, and making an "auto pilot".

An auto piloting is when you sit back and watch all the resources being gathered and balanced out for you, and you don't have to do a single thing. That's auto pilot .

A feature that would allow simpler game controls for the players is purely machanical! It's like a hotkey! Does it require a player to control it? Yes it does! Can a player just sit back without doing anything and expect this feature to gather food for him (and make him an expert)? Heck no!

Hotkeys make things simpler...do you call it an auto pilot feature?

martin
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 04:24 PM EDT (US)     12 / 29       

Quote:

DS, when a player task the villager to "mine gold", I think it's best (for now) to have the vil mine at the nearest pre-built site, within the perimeter of...let's say 15 tile.

So you're that lazy huh? can't you just move them yourself? IT'S 15 TILES FOR HIPPO'S SAKE!!!...g's...lazy ppl all around.

Former Leader and co-Founder of the FPH Clan

Now I just troll boards. ^_^

Immhotep
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 05:18 PM EDT (US)     13 / 29       

Quoted from Martin:

So you're that lazy huh? can't you just move them yourself? IT'S 15 TILES FOR HIPPO'S SAKE!!!...g's...lazy ppl all around.

I agree with ya Martin. I think Alex is a lazy bumb who lives in a trailer, sits on his couch all days, eats potatoes, and play computer games (j/k )

Seriously, like many people here, I think your ideas are great! Love to see it in AOM! But then Deathshrimp doesn't seem 2 like it though . That would be sux...

LongSiege
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 05:34 PM EDT (US)     14 / 29       
    I think your idea is great, although I think I do see a couple of catchs....

I would like to add on to how you could make villagers "Smarter"

1/ I think villagers should hunt in packs that only eat one animal at a time! For example if a group of villagers finishes up on one sheep they shouldn't disperse and kill other sheep individually one per villager. They group should all stay together and kill one more sheep.

2/ Automatic garrisoning villagers? say a villager is attacked, it should automatically look for somewhere to garrison instead of continuing work..

3/ Idle villagers should flare and blink on the mini map...

4/ There should be an option to set a limit on how many villagers you want on wood, food, ect. that way you won't stockpile to much of one resource and you won't be wasting your population in the late game...

Some of these aren't suggestions on how to forsay "make your villagers smarter" but suggestions on how to make micromanaging your villagers easier..

http://aom.rtsgamer.com
    AoM VIP Alpha Tester
    Ultima_Knight
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 07:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 29       
    I also found it very annoying when an enemy spearman (or some enemy unit, even a villager), attacked one of my villagers, who would step away for a minute and then try and go back, only to be chopped again. I think that it would help to have villager stances. (similar to military unit stances) especially when I'm the Spanish. Because A) i want my villagers to run back to the Town Center (i ring the town bell), but it's a tiny attack, wouldn't it B) be nice to have your villager retaliate when attacked? When a unit like a spearman or Light Cavalry comes to do a small villager raid, both are weak against infantry, and villies are basically militia, so why not have your villagers stick up for themselves rather than have to slow your economy down, wait for all you villagers to garrison while your town takes a small attack while your military moves over to take out the tiny raiding party?

-Ultima_Knight

how is this for a quote
    AirworthyBruteo2000
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 08:24 PM EDT (US)     16 / 29       
    Vills could have a memory system or something, say you get a villager to build a barracks for example, but there isn't enough wood, the villager shall chop wood until there is enough wood and then returns to the building to complete it.

This is of course something i just came up with, and could be refined.

Another idea is for the top status panels, another icon similar to diplomancy etc. could be implemtented for certain strategy's making gameplay certainly quicker and faster: Say u have just reached castle, but you don't have enough resources to build a proper wall that you would like to build. Click the defensive wall icon in the strategy icon and then lay where your wall shall be, then select the villager's you want to build the wall so when the resources are at the target, the selected villager's shall stop their task (if any) drop-off their resources (if any) and move off to build the wall. ETC ETC

Of course these are badly implemtented and design but are ideas all the same that can be developed...

New Works:The Tantte War inc. The Hero Reynald and his trusty dog and horse with a little romance (under production)
    Future Thought's:LOTR

AirworthyBruteo2000 Thanks you
    AirworthyBruteo2000@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by AirworthyBruteo2000 (edited 01-16-2002 @ 08:25 PM).]

IV1066
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 08:55 PM EDT (US)     17 / 29       

Quote:

1/ I think villagers should hunt in packs that only eat one animal at a time! For example if a group of villagers finishes up on one sheep they shouldn't disperse and kill other sheep individually one per villager. They group should all stay together and kill one more sheep.

That would be great! I hate how you have to keep sheep seperate from each other or else them stupid villies will go on a rampage and you loose food to rotting.

2coasts
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2002 10:50 PM EDT (US)     18 / 29       
    how about a 'military mode' where the ai moniters what resources are running low and automatically assigns more villagers to get that resource. You would not be allowed to tell your villagers where or what to gather, the ai would have complete control. you could only make them build things.

this would bee something like all techs, or DM, where everyone would have to use it at once, an option. it would allow for the player to focus more on the military, they would howeverstill need to guard the villagers to protect their economy.

Immhotep
    Mortal
    posted 17 January 2002 00:24 AM EDT (US)     19 / 29       

Quoted from 2coassts:

how about a 'military mode' where the ai moniters what resources are running low and automatically assigns more villagers to get that resource. You would not be allowed to tell your villagers where or what to gather, the ai would have complete control. you could only make them build things.

2coasts, now that would be like auto pilot . That would take away the fun of econ. I hope u r making a bad joke, otherwise I disagree with that idea and I think it's kinda insane don't ya think?

Seqenenre Tao
    posted 17 January 2002 11:52 AM EDT (US)     20 / 29       
    The problem with your idea is the Food task AI button thing. I mean you press that button, and what should they (vills) do? Go to a fish tile, berries, deer, boar/elephant, or farm?

~}Kataastaas, Kagalang-galang ng Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan{~
    (The High, Honorable Society of the Sons of the People)
    Mabuhay ang Maharlika!

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/wellletsseehere.jpg
    2coasts
    Mortal
    posted 17 January 2002 04:48 PM EDT (US)     21 / 29       
    immhotep, i was only suggesting it as a gameplay mode, like dm. right now there are very few scenerios, exept dm, that people play.

i dont know what makes this idea any more radical that dm...

[edit]
    oh i forgot to mention, because its all that i play, that this would only be in death match...

[This message has been edited by 2coasts (edited 01-17-2002 @ 04:49 PM).]

Alexandergreat3
    Mortal
    posted 17 January 2002 07:23 PM EDT (US)     22 / 29       
    I've just added a couple of things, including First Timothy's villager-population bar, to help a player monitor his work force.

Thanks everyone for your inputs! Thanks to First Timothy for this great idea!

zam zap
    Mortal
    posted 17 January 2002 08:38 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29       
    I hope they put it in, but if they dont there is always mods to put it in. (may take a lot of work)

P.S. and yes mods can change the interface

ZAM WILL ZAPATH!!

ThorsHammer_
    Mortal
    posted 18 January 2002 09:24 AM EDT (US)     24 / 29       
    Well 'micromanagement' isnt necessicarily such a bad thing. Sure it gets annoying after awhile, but thats why they had re-queing of farms for the Conqs. If its so tedious for you, you should just stick to DeathMatch, because gathering recources and building things where you want, etc... is all part of the game!

Im not trying to flame you here, its just that the closer you get to auto-civilians, the less fun the first 2 ages will be. You just make some villagers at your tc, sit back and let em work, then watch some tv, come back, and click on advance to next age. Where the heck is the fun in that?

cow_gone_mad
    Mortal
    posted 18 January 2002 09:57 AM EDT (US)     25 / 29       
    um it won't really help
    i'm just lurking and didn't read most replys

but here's my command to it

AIs are weak. By example when u build a mine villagers spread out on the resources, and turn quite inefficient
    it would be better if they didn't and just went to next to mines

the list can go on and on ...

and these commands won't help very much to make bad players better, cause the still gap between people using them and "experts" who can micro their stuff and train it will be bigger

mooooooooooooo

Ex-Preacher of the "CHAOTIC FUN". It ain't dead. Punk never died either.
    From a country in "OLD Europe" and in line with Cuba and Libya!
    Consequence: Is sun tanned. Drinks rum. Smokes Cigars. Is Polygam.
    *loves RUMSFELD* Late Night Shows can concern themself with Politics now.
    I hate NO ONE (Exception: my arch-enemy and angel Winston, whom I wish death each time i see his name), everything else is joking.
    And Immortal of the Mageslair: http://www.mageslair.net
    First_Timothy
    Mortal
    posted 18 January 2002 10:58 AM EDT (US)     26 / 29       
    Thorshammer is right about the villager management being critical in the early ages of an Age Series game as we know them. Of course it is critical in the later ages too, but so is combat. So, I think what people are looking for is a way to maintain what they have established in the way of an economy when they go off to war. I do think that your ability to develop an economy should be a factor in the gameplay, but not necessarily an ongoing chore for the entire game. I believe Alexandergreat3 is just wondering what could/will be done in AOM to improve the situation. And judging by the response, I think he has hit a nerve. Consider the following:

Multiple gatherpoints for villagers - We all know that the TC allows one gatherpoint for all villies made or ungarrisoned there. I propose that this should remain true in AOM for the TC, but that once you build various storage buildings you will be able to set gatherpoints for the type of villie that deposits resources there. For example, build a lumber mill and you can now set a gatherpoint for lumberjacks to work. Build a mill and you can now set three gatherpoints, one for farmers to plant and work around, one for shore fishing and one for hunters. Build a mining camp and you can set a gatherpoint on a prefered gold pile. This way, the player still has to decide where the buildings are built and where the work is done, but the tedium of the managing is reduced. It also means that the early moments of the game are still controlled by micromanaging your villies, which I agree is important and even fun. This is really no different than the "send villies back to work" button, but it has other advantages as follows.

Villager Balance Controls - As I have already posted, but reconsidered a bit, villager balance controls could be added that would control where new villies and villies who dump off resources at a storage site will go next. The controls might look like this:

Villager Balance
    -----None--Low--Med--High
    Food |----------------+-|
    Wood |-----------+------|
    Gold |-----------+------|
    Build|-+----------------|

Food Balance
    -----None--Low--Med--High
    Farm |-----------+------|
    Fish |-+----------------|
    Hunt |-----------+------|
    Berry|------+-----------|

The AI would look at the various balance priorities on the sliders, shown above, each time a villie is created or drops off resources. It then determines what his task will be based on how many villies are currently on each task. If it is food, it also determines what type. The villie is then sent off to do the work at the appropriate gatherpoint (see above).

Worker Management Technology - This could all be made into a technology that doesn't work until you research it and isn't available until the second age. This would definitely keep the micromanagement of villagers essential to the first age, but unobtrusive in the later ages.

»»─ First_Timothy ─> 1 Timothy 1:5 <─ The goal is love. ─««
    Immhotep
    Mortal
    posted 19 January 2002 02:21 AM EDT (US)     27 / 29       
    I hate to see practical and well thought out ideas like these get tossed away by ES. (hey! maybe ES just wants to surprise us...nah, wishful thinking again ) Or maybe in AOM u don't need these features, cuz resources gather will be more like EE where they last one heck of a long time and u don't need that much vil? In the weekly SS u don't see too many vils do u. hehe this has gotta b it. laters...
    Mortal
    posted 20 January 2002 04:29 AM EDT (US)     28 / 29       
    "Shortening the difference in ability between players is not the goal... We are not trying to make experts no better then rooks."

The only skills that would be diminsihed in importance are those that fit under the category of "mouse clicking skills". There were great iprovements made in the AI of AOK in relation to AOE. This did not result in a decrease in strategic depth, what it do was to make AOK less of a "mouse clicking contest" than AOE was. Now we are free to concentrate more on strategy and less on frantically fumbling around with the mouse, tediously executing conceptually simple tasks. Personally, I am lazy when it comes to developing the ability to get a certain thing accomplished in X amount of time because I mundanely memorized a sequence of mouse movements and clickings and can tediously execute them faster than my oponent can. I just don't see that as an immersive, strategical aspect of the game. I see the development of the neccessary "mouse clicking skills" as a neccessary, though mundane and tedious, part of the game.

In short, I am in favor of any AI and user-interface enhancements that reduce the amount of strategically simple, yet time-intensive, micro-management.

[This message has been edited by Newbie (edited 01-20-2002 @ 04:32 AM).]

Sir_Deraj
    Mortal
    posted 20 January 2002 10:04 PM EDT (US)     29 / 29       
    I too dont like the idea.Managing 5 vills to get food isnt to bad and I agree with what someone said earlier about what would happen later in the game.I didnt know that the sheep got fatter in AOM thats an interesting twist and a good idea.

I came
    I saw
    I conquered
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE LONELY KNIGHTS CLAN
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames