You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Armistice God-power
Bottom
Topic Subject:Armistice God-power
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 01:40 AM EDT (US)         

Quoted from The AoMH God-powers page:

Armistice
Civilization : Unknown
Effect : Stops all fighting on the map for one minute, giving time for defensive buildup or allied help.

I find that God-power quite disturbing... it seems to ruin the surprise of any surprise attack.
Imagine that: a player, who is relatively weaker economically but has good tactics, launches a strike on the enemy's unprotected base. Then the other player press the Armistice, and has all the time in the world () to get his forces to the base. That GP just doesn't sound appropriate for a RTS game, IMO, unless it's a really expensive one.

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect
AuthorReplies:
Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 16 January 2002 02:03 AM EDT (US)     1 / 24       
Depending on what Age you get it in, it could be quite useful. (delaying a rush until you finish your Age upgrade or armour upgrade and pump a few more units or get a tower up) If it's late game though, and you are behind on econ, it won't help you too much imo.

You only get one use with it, so it will be interesting to try and pick a good time.

Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 02:19 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24       
Of-course it wouldn't help me if I have a sucky econ in late game. But if I'll have a strong econ but I'm not prepared for an "Armageddon" battle, it might be too useful, IMO.

The Last Knight
Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 02:29 AM EDT (US)     3 / 24       

Quote:

Effect : Stops all fighting on the map for one minute...

Perhaps it stops all fighting on the *visible* map only, since ES said that god powers can only be cast within the player's line of sight.

vladimir87
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 07:51 AM EDT (US)     4 / 24       
Good morning,

i said this in another post as well, but this could actually be better for the enemy in some cases, or for that matter the attacker...

-First, I doubt units just will not be able to move for obvious reasons, villas will have to move, units will have to be gathered in order to counterattack and so on...

This means that either one of two things happens... The two sides ally, or the units are not allowed to attack. (no attack stance trigger)... If this is so... here is what might happen...

The enemy, or attacker (it could be you attacking someone else), could use the god power, and send the calv over to the economy, sne dthe minotaurs next to the tc, and could station his infantry around the barracks. When teh armistice is finished, the calv rip up all the villagers, the TC falls, and units cant be built since there are no buildings left... uhoh

First_Timothy
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 08:52 AM EDT (US)     5 / 24       
Talk about a backfire, how about this scenario: You rush into anenemy town with a surprise attack and to scout out the town defenses. The player panics and calls an armistice. You use your tunnel god power to place a portal from the center of his town to a spot just outside your city walls and use it to send a bunch of reinforcements. He is powerless to stop your builders, heroes or whatever builds the tunnel, because he cannot fight them. Now his town is doomed, all because he used his god power. Ouch! Of course, this assumes that you can build and/or use another god power during an armisitice, the latter of which you probably cannot do.

»»─ First_Timothy ─> 1 Timothy 1:5 <─ The goal is love. ─««
shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 16 January 2002 09:58 AM EDT (US)     6 / 24       
OR this scenario:

you rush into your enemy's city, he panicks and calls an armistance, you lay back for a minute, when the armistance is over you create a tunnel back to your home base move all your units to the tunnel, and poof.

you lost nothing and the enemy ruined his god power

assuming your enemy cant make use of YOUR tunnel

*edit* whoops, i just realized you will have wasted your GP also

anyways a bit OT but i hope that the tunnel can only have 2 exits/entrances, so that it could go both ways.
and that you could pick up one side of the tunnel and place it somewhere else, that would rule!

but probably wont happen

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.

[This message has been edited by Smileyshelper (edited 01-16-2002 @ 10:02 AM).]

rEarranged
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 02:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24       
I find that this god power wouldn't be fun. I'd probably be fun to newbies who get ammused by little things, but think about it.

You just built a good army and you want to attack your opponent while he has a weakness (maybe a broken wall section or another enemy just attacked him and killed most of his army), but as he sees your army approach your town and about to come charging in, he casts this GP and all is lost. Not fun, but annoying.

Another situation: your getting rocked on the field and you need to quickly build up an army or your probably dead. You build an army of cheap soldiers and your ready to fight off the enemy, but guess what? Your enemy cats this new GP on you and, while he has the time, he stations all of his military units around your base, making sure he puts most of his stronger units by your army clump. You know what happens next.

This is not fun for the defender nor the offenser. I suggest getting rid of this or changing it around in some way...

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 03:03 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24       
It is rather simple, its called strategy and tatics.

You are loosing a battle badly and you need at least 1 minute to build up small reinforcements to supply your loosing battle...which then you can turn the battle around and win! Of course in this time the enemy could send in more reinforcements.

I don't think it will be annoying...why? Because it will only be used one time and it only has a time duration of 1 minute. Also in reference to the second situation in the last post...it is his strategy. But you could also build up quickly and counter his strong army. Or cast a Meteor shower and weaken him severly. ES is giving us all this GP as weapons of our arsenal. It is our choice to use them at our disposal. I see these god powers not as mindless casting but as a strategic weapon. Even ES_Swinger said that God Powers now are more strategic. After all, although real time, its still a strategy game.

[This message has been edited by Imperialarc (edited 01-16-2002 @ 03:05 PM).]

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 03:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24       
Oh, also I can see how it can become annoying for a few minutes. Saying since allies will use it in sequence, frustrating the offender alliance. Although, while they try to annoy you, you build up an even bigger army and when its all over, armageddon begins.
rEarranged
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 03:16 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24       

Quote:

Because it will only be used one time and it only has a time duration of 1 minute.

If you play a few games a days, many a week, it can get annoying and 1 minute is long. Have you ever fought a battle and thaught that more time passed then really did? Same thing will happen here.

Quote:

Or cast a Meteor shower and weaken him severly.

Is favor still in the game? If so, the guy is weakened -- near death -- he probably wouldn't have enough faith to cast a Meteor Shower or any other effective GP.

rEarranged
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 03:17 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24       

Quote:

and when its all over, armageddon begins.

...and so does the lag...

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 03:30 PM EDT (US)     12 / 24       
Well if you are being productive then time flies away.

Quote:

Is favor still in the game? If so, the guy is weakened -- near death -- he probably wouldn't have enough faith to cast a Meteor Shower or any other effective GP.

Ok, you got me. If a player is on the brink of loosing then I would imagine it being difficult to become a power in one minute and gain enough favor to cast a god power(assuming this hasn't changed since many things have changed in the game). Although I am still convinced that Armistice won't be as annoying as you think it will be. Obviously, we must play it in order to find out.

[This message has been edited by Imperialarc (edited 01-16-2002 @ 03:34 PM).]

Bronze_Giant 7
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 03:52 PM EDT (US)     13 / 24       
Or this scenario: player calls artismic once yer units r frozen use shifting sands and hope that u get a good area like the enemy base so once the GP wears off you can kill him

OR...

The enemy uses artismic on u and u can use portal right in the enemy town and hope for da best

OR...

The enemy uses Artismic on you all u have to do is when the enemy comes to your town to kill u call apon da gods for tornado then after that if there's units left use meteor.

Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 16 January 2002 04:08 PM EDT (US)     14 / 24       
Take this Scenario for instance:

Your enemy is casting armistice, and it's firing in 30 seconds. You have the "portal" GP, but his ally is shooting meteor shower at you!! (Yikes!)

Dooms day? No siree, Bob!! You remain calm and cool, and you open a portal right at where the meteorites crash, and transport them to...right back into your enemy main town center, temples, and to his ally's town also....(Muahahaha)

That's like using the reflector shield on Medusa (I wonder if there is a "shield" god power )

shelper
HG Alumnus
posted 17 January 2002 10:26 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24       
i believe the armistance stops all fighting in the map, including GP's

but dont quote me on that

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
Real
Mortal
posted 17 January 2002 12:30 PM EDT (US)     16 / 24       
I didn't read all of this thread but:

Why don't you like it?

It won't be for every civ, only for one of the 3 cultures, there for one of the three civs and there for one of the minor deities(or?) so it won't hapen that often, and if it happens it also would be fun!

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
rEarranged
Mortal
posted 17 January 2002 02:38 PM EDT (US)     17 / 24       
Fun? ...Read the rest of the posts...
Real
Mortal
posted 18 January 2002 05:53 AM EDT (US)     18 / 24       
The only thing against it is that it is maybe a bit too long.

But imagine the cool graphics and you'd have one minute of time too admit them without having to control your army.

Well, but I'm very sure that the god power will be fun when ES don't cut it untill the release and if it is no fun then I'm very sure they'll cut or change it untill release.

We even don't know how it works, so why worry?

open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 18 January 2002 07:08 AM EDT (US)     19 / 24       

Quote:

i believe the armistance stops all fighting in the map, including GP's

I think the same way.

The fact we can only use one GP for each age makes that GP less effective, but still... I have the feeling I'm not gonna like it.... but who knows?

The Last Knight
shelper
HG Alumnus
posted 18 January 2002 07:21 AM EDT (US)     20 / 24       
i dont think ill hate it all that much

besides, you can do a lot more in 1 minute than you think

Real
Mortal
posted 18 January 2002 07:27 AM EDT (US)     21 / 24       
@L_K: What? Only one GP every age?

I didn't read this in the article.

I read that you get a GP at the begining of each age, not that you can only use this one!

shelper
HG Alumnus
posted 18 January 2002 07:32 AM EDT (US)     22 / 24       
no, im pretty sure they confirmed that its accumalative (sp?)

Real
Mortal
posted 18 January 2002 08:35 AM EDT (US)     23 / 24       
Well, a minute, I'm rereading these part of the text.

Zu Beginn jeder Epoche erhalten Sie eine solche "Extrawaffe", die jederzeit eingesetzt werden kann. Allerdings lassen sich maximal vier Stück horten
endquote

I translate it:

At the begining of each age you recieve such an extra weapon which you can use everytime.But you can't collect more than four.

Jotun
Mortal
posted 18 January 2002 05:31 PM EDT (US)     24 / 24       
Four things.

The first - while you can't attack them, they can't attack you either.

The second - Nowhere does it say that the armistice freezes all you units. It just says that you can't attack. So, during the one minute that you can't attack them, you can still build up your army or move your units into a better position.

The third - The game is about strategy. What do you do when you can't beat someone with a certain strategy? You use another strategy. So (if you're like me) either don't play with anyone that has that GP, or either form a new strategy to beat it. Such as sending in only part of your army, so you can panic the other player into using armistice. Then that part gets slaughtered, but you don't care, because you have the rest of your army waiting to ambush the rest of the other pathetic army.

The fourth - I'm thinking that anyone that uses the armistice GP is either A) a pathetic econ. player, or B) a person who hides behind their walls. Either way, they will probably not have much of an army that can fight back anyway.

The fifth - (I know. I can't count) How long is a minute really. From the time you started reading this to right now, it has been about a minute. That wasn't so bad now, was it?

They sended us away to theez big buldeengs all dey And fur wut They sez that it is so we can get taughted I says Iv lernd enuf
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames