You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Special abilities/spells
Bottom
Topic Subject:Special abilities/spells
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 19 January 2002 04:08 PM EDT (US)         
We know GPs will be in used maybe 4 times in a game maximum, and heroes can't cast them.

So far, I know 3 types of special abilities:
1. Starcraft-like special abilities: a "minor god-power" that is cast by a unit and cost it only energy.
For example: Pharaoh has a limited amount of energy, and he can use it to make a cobra snake out of his stick and attack the enemies. Then the energy will regenerate over time.

2. Medusa-like special ability: the unit has X% chance to cast a spell, and make the oppenent unit turn to stone, be cursed, run away....
That "special ability" is probably common in AoM, and I guess many MUs have a different type of "special attack". It's also common in HoMM3.

3. self-use special ability: units who can cloak, get a time limitied extra shield/attack power, etc. for energy or hit-points. in other words: a special power that work on the units themselves, for some sort of price.
For example: the Norse berskerker will have a "swallow illusions mashroom" ability, and if he takes it he can fight really strongly for X seconds, but he loses hit-points (health) while swallowing the mashroom; Or a certain unit that can fly, but loses energy while flying and has to land to regenerate it.

So... do you want special abilities to be in the game? If so, which types do you want to be in AoM and which you'd prefer not to see in the game?
Do you have more suggestions for special-abilities?

edit: examples added

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect

[This message has been edited by Last_Knight (edited 01-19-2002 @ 04:28 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
rEarranged
Mortal
posted 19 January 2002 04:14 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
Your thread is alittle confusing, but if your saying what I think your saying, yes I would like MUs to be able to summon opon weaker MU like units that will last for short periods of time.

But who would summon opon these things?

I guess the Egyptian Scorpianmen can be one. It can grow babies on its back and, when their ready, they hatch and are under your command.

Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 19 January 2002 04:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
Good idea, rEarranged
the lil' scorpion babies are gonna be cute :-)

I opened a general discussion about all sorts of special-abilities units can have, and whether they'll work for AoM or not.

The Last Knight
Bronze_Giant 7
Mortal
posted 19 January 2002 04:32 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Maybe the Valkyrie could have suttin like since it put souls in the heaven place that the norse belived in maybe fer like a spell it could be not a final attack but a spell where a bunch of spirits could come outta nowhere and kill units it could be used when the Valkyrie is near death Picture this: 4 Minotaurs and some archers are attackin 1 Valkyrie the valkyrie is near death (only has 20-15 hp left) she then takes her shield and protects herself so instead on 10 hp being taken away 3 hp would be taken away then she would begin a chant and a bunch of spirits come along and when the Valkyrie is killed they kill the units if some of the units run away the spirits will ignore them. then the spirits will pick up the dead body of the Valkyrie and carry her up to the heavens while the only thing of the Valkyrie is left is someof her blood her shield and her spear or sword.
InsaneCow
Mortal
posted 19 January 2002 04:37 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
Well, the mummy has to have some sort of special ability tied in, cause a pile of old weak bones that costs 50 favor is not going to be very helpful.

Maybe some sort of life draining special ability, but I still think it should be able to take off one of its legs and wack people across the screen with it. If this is added to AOM, the ancient mummies will only need to work on their putting.

I lost in the AOE3H FRR
Support Gay Pride!
Michael Jackson is innocent!
G-Dubs is the greatest president evah!
mikey
Mortal
posted 19 January 2002 11:51 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
I wont to curse people!!! Scare the hell out of them so that they faint, brown their pants or run away!! This could work well with the Norse, using a druid type unit to scare enemies with curses.

The first casualty in war is the truth.

Alcohol is the cause and solution of all lifes problems. - Homer Simpson

History is always written by the victors

Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 04:47 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
Awesome ideas, Last Knight! Sound like a lot of fun .

1. Starcraft-like special abilities: a "minor god-power" that is cast by a unit and cost it only energy.
For example: Pharaoh has a limited amount of energy, and he can use it to make a cobra snake out of his stick and attack the enemies. Then the energy will regenerate over time.

This is cool! It works like the mana, which recharges over time in a bar that looks something such as this: |=========|. It would make the heroes a lot more useful and an important part of an army, instead of just give him the paper-scissor-hammer bonus vs Myth units (which doesn't have much depth, in my opinion). This ability shouldn't be called minor GP's, because it would mislead and scare people into thinking about the fact that a unit can call unlimited amount of GP's a matter of few minutes . Great idea; it will make the game very fun to play!

3. self-use special ability: units who can cloak, get a time limitied extra shield/attack power, etc. for energy or hit-points. in other words: a special power that work on the units themselves, for some sort of price.

Perhaps this will be in the campaigns, but not in the multiplayer, since it's RPG-ish if you know what I mean. On the same note, I heard they already have something similar...I think it's called 'artifact' - sacred items such as body parts of, alledgely, the gods - hehe, the "bone" part sounds eerie to me .
-------

So inconclusion, the "Starcraft-like special abilities" (or rechargable mana) is a really awesome idea, and would make the game a lot of fun to play, if ES put it into AOM. Great ideas LK

Stormboy
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 04:58 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
Please, no spells, no mana, no spellcasters!
It's a mythology game, people, not a fantasy game.
Next thing you know, people will be asking for orcs and elves.
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 05:31 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
Stormboy: Special abilities aren't necessarily belong to the fantasy genre. They stand for the things Mythological heroes/creatures did, and were hard to do and needed lots of energy.

I gave the medusas' special ability as an example, and it's already used in AoM, and fits the mythological story; and many claim that soldiers using illusions-mashrooms to improve their fighting abilities was realistic.

The Last Knight
Stormboy
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 05:50 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
LK, I have no problem with the examples that you gave. They're all founded in existing mythology. It's just that when you start talking about "spells", it's very easy to slide down that slippery slope towards fantasy. Just look at some of the replies you got. I've got nothing against fantasy, it's a fine genre in it's own right. But it's got nothing to do with AoM.
SoR_Anarchy
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 11:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
I hope there's not spells in the game. If i want spells i'll play wc3.

God Bless America.

I am the state.

Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 11:58 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
Guys...it's just a name . Some people call them "god powers", and some people call them "spells". The main idea is what they do, how they work, and how it will make the game more fun to play.

Many god powers in AOM are already in many, many fantasy games ...god powers such as:

• portal - in fantasy games, sometines they call it teleporting. I don't know what it will be called in AoM, but just because ES put "god power" label after its name, it won't change what it is - it only changes how players will view them .

• Armistice - in one of my Playstation, fantasy games, this special power is called tangling. It stops and freezes units. No difference at all - the only difference is their names .

• Meteor Shower - this power is one of the most popular spells in fantasy games . You can't miss it if you have played a fantasy game before.

... and the list goes on . So guys, relax with the names, because it's Last Knight's ideas that are important - not necessarily the names of the ideas. (Although using fantastic terms can mislead people to think otherwise )

• Last_Knight
    Mortal
    posted 21 January 2002 03:45 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
    Thanks, Alexandergreat

OK, forget about the word "spells", call it just "special abilities" if that word bothers you.

The Last Knight

[This message has been edited by Last_Knight (edited 01-21-2002 @ 03:47 AM).]

Bronze_Giant 7
    Mortal
    posted 21 January 2002 09:36 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
    Another couple could be:

Valkyrie: Since i heard somewhere that Valkyries also road ravens maybe there could be an icon next to his picture when you select him and when you click on it a raven will come outta the sky pick the Valkyrie up and you can control where the raven goes and to drop off the Valkyrie. Also: Since the Valkyrie would help train children to be warriors when dey were older maybe the Valkyrie could have a couple of soldiers with the name: Valkyrie's Student. It could have a little attack like 4-5 and only 50-60 HP. They would fight with her and protect her once she dies they'll turn into normal Norse soldiers. And last but not least: the Valkyrie could like have spirits that would follow her around usually spirits who are soldiers and they do nuttin but maybe... umm... oh foret about the spirit idea. well the other two would be when you select her you select an icon also for da first one you have to have full HP fer it 2 work.

Priest: 1 thing Skeleton warriors all the warriors that are gead but have skeletons will come to life and have double the HP they orriganally had and when they dies they'll fall apart.

Bronze giant: They'll remove their armor and use it to crush people until the bronze giant dies.

Mountain Giant: Starts jumpin screamin at da top o lungs also poundin his club against da ground lookin like a mad man until one of the things he pounds near is a boulder the boulder will fly through da air and crush people. also will make some units die if they get too close

THE STONG, THE CUNNING, THE: BRONZE GIANT!!! the smart forumer cause when da stampede is comin he doesnt defend other forumers he runs up a tree.
    Kaziglu Bey
    Mortal
    posted 22 January 2002 03:53 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
    I for one am only mildly amused by anything that requires me to pick a unit, press a button and choose a target for effect. I prefer if a game would have me doing other kinds of micromanaging on the battlefield, rather than remembering wich one of my "wizards" has enough mana left to cast one of his handful of spells. It's just a crude example but I don't think that much of anything in the line of it adds to the fun of battle tactics. It's already been done in well over a dozen games since Warcraft 2 and already then I got bored of bloodlusting my ogres with 20 mouseclicks before a battle. That was probably an extreme, but it catches the core of the problem quite well.
    Bronze_Giant 7
    Mortal
    posted 22 January 2002 03:17 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
    How about since i heard somewhere that a hydra has a breath that smells so bad the person dies well how bout that for a speciat ability

THE STONG, THE CUNNING, THE: BRONZE GIANT!!! the smart forumer cause when da stampede is comin he doesnt defend other forumers he runs up a tree.
    InsaneCow
    Mortal
    posted 22 January 2002 06:56 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
    Hydras have poisoinous blood, I know, but I never heard of poisonous breath.

I lost in the AOE3H FRR
    Support Gay Pride!
    Michael Jackson is innocent!
    G-Dubs is the greatest president evah!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames