Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Voice Chat
Bottom
Topic Subject:Voice Chat
Stone_Giant
Mortal
posted 19 January 2002 06:11 PM EDT (US)         
If there is one aspect of online multiplayer that needs a lot of improvement, without question, it has to be the use of voice chat in games.

Sure there are programs out there like Roger Wilco (Its kind of like a "Walky-Talky that lets you set up voice chat for any game) that do a great job and actually do "work." But its much easier if the voice-chat was built in, as you can't just join a random game and start chatting, and the software can be a little frustrating to use at times .

So what's the point of this post? To get voice-chat into AoM!

Hearing an explanation from me doesn't do it justice, to really "feel" it, you need to experience it for yourself. This was my first game using Roger Wilco on AoK:

The map was Arabia, 3v3, Defend the wonder. I'm on the defense team. Once the headphones were on it was a totally new experience. I heard everything from what the guys had for lunch that day to where each of us should go. Someone said, "We need some archers by those walls." Then someone answered, "Got it, I'll send some." It really took a life of it's own. Just as the game was about the heat up, one of the guys says, "Alright men, this is it!". Then all hell broke loose…"THEY'RE RUSHING LEFT!!! WATCH THE TREBUCHETS!!!! I NEED SOME HELP OVER HERE!!! QUICK GUARD THE WONDER!!! KNIGHTS LEFT SIDE!!!!" It truly was war, and to hear your team-mates calling for assistance and calling out enemy attacking points made the whole experience that much more compelling. IMO, voice chat adds a second layer to the games, and being able to move and co-ordinate at the same time rather than stop, type and carry on, has an absolutely awesome advantage to it.

My ideas for voice chat? Screw my ideas, Valve are much better at doing this than me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How Valve used voice chat in Half-Life:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was really quite easy, in the config screen; there is an option for "Use Voice Communication." After you assign a key, that's it. Now whenever you hit that key, you're able to talk in the game. After you hit the key to start talking, a small nametag appears on the right-hand side of your team-mates screen. That way you know who is talking at all times.

They actually dimmed the outside noises during conversation. So when you're in the midst of battle, instead of swords clashing going off and not your team-mates, that sound is toned down a bit so you can actually hear your friends. Another cool feature was that you had the ability to mute talkative players. Nothing is as worse as some idiot during a game screaming down the server, so what do you do? Simple. The player can bring up a Voice Properties dialog box where they can click on a player and mute them for the rest of the game. So, you can literally shut him up.

Also, they used a great low-bandwith codec, which doesn't lag on a 56k, but still sounds pretty damn clear

------------------------------

But don't take my word for it folks; you can try it out for yourselves! Head on over to the Roger Wilco website and get a few friends together for a game of AoK, you won't regret it .

Oh - ES, if yere feeling lazy, Roger Wilco is actually advertising there voice-chat technology to game developers (Current slogan is "20 minutes, no bull") Check it out!

Note: Sorry if this post advertises Roger Wilco too much.....it wasn't supposed to

Stone_Giant

[This message has been edited by Stone_Giant (edited 01-20-2002 @ 05:03 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
AzN
Forumer
(id: AznKnightmare)
posted 19 January 2002 06:20 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19       
Hehe.. actually, it could be good for the game. I use Roger Wilco soemtimes for FPS team games, and it helps alot. But the problem is that its one hard thing to get a person who has a voice com. Its even harder to get a room full of people with voice com, since most computers these days dont come with mircophones.

Angel AzN | News Editor Lead EH, HeavenGames LLC
"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" -Admiral Farragut, Civil War Battle of Mobile Bay
HeavenGamesEmpires Heaven | 3DMark05 Score3DMark03 Score | WearYELLOW
vladimir87
Mortal
posted 19 January 2002 06:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 19       
This sort of reminds me of paintballing...

I have never used voice chat so I wouldn't know, but your right, there is a certain thrill in the, how can i say it, fellowship, in speaking to the person?

In paintballing, you say to your pals, come on you guys capture the ridge Ill take the left, you get center and cover me! NOW MOVE MOVE MOVE!

Its the atmosphere that makes the combat more exciting. the comradery (spelling)! Thats what makes tribes over the net not as exciting as Goldeneye with your friends at your house...
I can imagine it,

DUDE GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE!! THERE WHUPPING ME APART WITH METEORS!! oh man, counter attack his econ and hey i need defense on the left. WHAT THE HECK! WHERE ARE MY FARMS!! OMG im painting unlock the gates man, now! oh man not minotaurs! theres no way these guys are 1620s!

great post, and GREAT idea for aom

[This message has been edited by vladimir87 (edited 01-19-2002 @ 06:31 PM).]

IV1066
Mortal
posted 19 January 2002 07:52 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19       
When I'd play AoK with my friends, we'd use our skiing radios to talk during the game, it was great to talk but it was annoying to have to use a radio. I totally agree, ES should have built in voice communication.
Stone_Giant
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 05:17 AM EDT (US)     4 / 19       

Quoted from Azn:

that its one hard thing to get a person who has a voice com.

And that’s exactly why companies ship voice chat software built into their games .

Quoted from Azn:

since most computers these days don’t come with microphones.

True, but its not that big a deal as you can get a good enough microphone for $5 these days .

Stone_Giant

[This message has been edited by Stone_Giant (edited 01-20-2002 @ 10:25 AM).]

SoR_Anarchy
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 02:28 PM EDT (US)     5 / 19       
Voice Chat in AoM = Solid

God Bless America.

I am the state.

David
HG Alumnus
posted 20 January 2002 03:06 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19       
Great idea!
pokethejohn
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 03:30 PM EDT (US)     7 / 19       
That would be aweosme, I would love to be able to do that rather then having to type stupid messages on aom...

Personal site- www.stellar-sky.net/immix -not active at the moment.
AOM site I help run- www.age-of-myth.com -check out the new layout.
Age site I post news for- www.aoe2.com -back up and running

thawky
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 04:32 PM EDT (US)     8 / 19       
Well, MS is coming out with online suport for XBox this summer, complete with full voice chat. Perhpas they could integrate a modified version of this for Windows with ES and AOM. Something like this would be a great idea.

thawky
I'm heaven sent...don't you dare forget.

My tongue's the only muscle on my body that works harder than my heart.

Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 04:42 PM EDT (US)     9 / 19       
My friends and I used to use the Microsoft messenger to chat during games, but it lagged the game so much that we stopped using it. If MS can make a less laggy voice chat software, it would be awesome for AoM.
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 04:46 PM EDT (US)     10 / 19       
Voice Chat would kick major Arse! Only probablem is if it would slow down connection speed.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
thawky
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 06:08 PM EDT (US)     11 / 19       
Voice doesn't necesarily slow down connection speed. The actual transmission of data is easy...it's getting the programs to link up easily that is difficult. The more OOS they go, the more lag you get with one game trying to catch up to the other really. So by making the program take up the last bandwith possible, it'd work. The actual voice sening thing isn't that bandiwth-takingupthing. I think...

thawky
I'm heaven sent...don't you dare forget.

My tongue's the only muscle on my body that works harder than my heart.

Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 03:30 AM EDT (US)     12 / 19       
Voice transmitting does take a fair bit of bandwidth if it's done in any decent quality. For those that have a good connection and know that there is usually spare bandwidth between them they can run some kind of voice chat software outside a game, if they for instance want to use it to enhance teamplay. Adding the feature into the game will inevitably lead to lots of people trying to use it without understanding the requirements. The "server free" networking approach that ES uses for these games are a bit extra bandwidth sensitive.

Instead I would very much like to see a well developed voice menu with useful phrases that once can pick from a list. The messages are then both displayed as text and presented as speech. Kind of like a matured taunt feature but with real team mode gameplay value.

PseudoKnight
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 06:28 AM EDT (US)     13 / 19       
Despite that it uses much bandwidth, I think this is a very good idea for the future of RTS. In Half-Life, not everyone has a microphone, but it's still VERY useful to those that do and brings the game strategy alive. Also, some servers do not allow voice chat in their games due to the heavy use of their bandwidth to do so. If it's implemented into AOM, I'm sure there would be a option to turn it off. (and possibly low and high quality settings)

.: Webmaster of the great StrategyEmpire.
.: Administrator and Moderator of the friendly SE forums.
.: Slave of the infamous E1 clan.
.: Friend to the friendless forumer.
.: etc.
Sir_Deraj
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 09:38 AM EDT (US)     14 / 19       
Man that would be a great idea.I can just imagine how much better the game would get especially when you are playing with your friends or clan members.I dont have a mike but if AOM came out with this I would gladly go out and buy a decent one for this purpose alone.Great idea!

I came
I saw
I conquered
PROUD MEMBER OF THE LONELY KNIGHTS CLAN
shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 22 January 2002 12:26 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19       
than another issue.

should the voice chats also be saved in the recorded games?

it would make them quite a lot bigger, and since my computer knowledge is limited i dont know if the game would slow down when everything said is beeing saved on everybody's computer

techies?

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
SoR_Anarchy
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 10:52 PM EDT (US)     16 / 19       

Quote:

If it causes lag, no. If it doesn't, sure.

God Bless America.

I am the state.

Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 23 January 2002 01:22 AM EDT (US)     17 / 19       
That would mean HUGE file sizes for recorded games methinks.
PseudoKnight
Mortal
posted 23 January 2002 08:03 AM EDT (US)     18 / 19       
No, it would not be saved in a recorded game. It would be silly to do so.

.: Webmaster of the great StrategyEmpire.
.: Administrator and Moderator of the friendly SE forums.
.: Slave of the infamous E1 clan.
.: Friend to the friendless forumer.
.: etc.
Stone_Giant
Mortal
posted 23 January 2002 01:16 PM EDT (US)     19 / 19       

Quote:

Its impossible to do I'm afraid . And on a low band codec, 5minutes of talk time = 1mb

I'm not sure about bandwith requirements in game , but, I do know that I can chat and play counter-strike with a 200 ping on my 56k

Stone_Giant

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames