Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Fish
Bottom
Topic Subject:Fish
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 03:16 AM EDT (US)         
Do you guys think fish should become individual animated creatures like the rest of the animals or at least moving schools? I say a combination. I think small fish should be handled the same way they are now, except the schools should move. Also, villagers should be able to catch fish, at least at a much slower rate, in almost any ptach of water whether there is a visible school of fish or not. I think big fish should be individual objects that move around and interact with the rest of the game.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if this is the way it's going to work? I haven't read up on AOM for a while now.

[This message has been edited by Newbie (edited 01-20-2002 @ 03:23 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 03:47 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
One of the screenshots showed fish schools. I imagine they work the same way they do in EE - that is, you can see fish circing under the water, but they are still locked in position.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
IV1066
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 10:48 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
It would be rather cool to see sea-cows, whales, sharks, and other large sea animals swim about as independent animals... we've already seen whales in AoM. Fishing ships could hunt such animals, and the animals could probably fight back too. But fish should be in static schools like in AoK, imo.
Real
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 11:02 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
But there aren't sea cows in the area where AoM playes, are there?

But, yeah, you're right!

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!

[This message has been edited by Real (edited 01-20-2002 @ 11:03 AM).]

InsaneCow
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 01:08 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
I wish manatees would be in AOM... They are so cut and cuddly... But unfortnately, Real is right and they don't live near Europe or Africa.

I lost in the AOE3H FRR
Support Gay Pride!
Michael Jackson is innocent!
G-Dubs is the greatest president evah!
shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 20 January 2002 01:30 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
its all about the 'dillos!

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 01:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
I don't see why a school of fish slowly couldn't migrate as a whole. Also, they should randomly regenerate.

How about this idea? You could create a fish trap. Then, the fish could be hauled to another bosy of water and transplanted. You could farm them.

IV1066
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 03:08 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       

Quote:

I don't see why a school of fish slowly couldn't migrate as a whole.

Assuming the fish start equally distributed, and they migrate randomly, migration would have no gameplay effect as the fish wouldn't change in concentration. It'd just be an annoyance to have to micro your fishing boats.

Quote:

Also, they should randomly regenerate.

They shouldn't randomly regenerate, but schools of fish could grow larger (just like land animals growing larger). It'd make it so that if you're careful, and you leave a litle bit of food in a school of fish, it could regrow and you wouldn't exhaust sea-food.

Quote:

How about this idea? You could create a fish trap. Then, the fish could be hauled to another bosy of water and transplanted. You could farm them.

It's simpler to just have fish-traps the way they are now. So instead of moving fish from place to place, you just build the trap in the body of water you'd've transplanted them too. I hope ES makes fish-farms a viable alternative to farming in AoM, it'd make for more sea-combat.

aoe2bug
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 04:16 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Maybe fishies+stuff could move, but VERY slowly
like only if theres alot of action around them or somat.
and not if your catching them (hey they're gettin food, why would they leave) so it wouldnt be annoying. the big fishies should move, but like elephants in aoe, they'd come to you if you attacked them, so if one wondered into your harbor, you could have towers attack (and fishing ships) and it wouldnt just leave b4 you got it, then you'd have one huge pot'o'food (maybe your ships would drag it upto the shore so it wouldnt be in your way on the water)

I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.
You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 07:00 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
As far as migrating schools of fish, how about the ability to have villagers throw food out at a patch of water to lure them in.
Sir_Deraj
Mortal
posted 20 January 2002 09:44 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
I agree as mentioned before that fishing should be treating more like a farms so controlling the water would actually mean something.Big fishes such as whales and sharks should be able to move independently around the map however not that fast and sharks should be able to attack units if they fall into deep water if ES uses some of the ideas mention in an navy thread were its possible for units to fall into deep water.Small groups of fishes could move however if would take ES a bunch of time to think how villies will be able to fish and alot of other things like fish traps.It would be cool but as far as small groups of fishes go I would say leaving the same way they are is fine with me however big units should ve able to move and be hunted.

I came
I saw
I conquered
PROUD MEMBER OF THE LONELY KNIGHTS CLAN
Foe_Hammer
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 01:40 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
you should be able to go whaling..that would be cool..jst think how great it would be to see the guy harpoon the whale and it fights back and stuff

I come from under the hill , and under the hill and over the hills my paths have led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen. I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the stinging fly.I was chosen for the lucky number.
I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them alive again from the water. I came from the end of a bag, but no bag went over me. I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames