You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.32 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Extra attention to realism?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Extra attention to realism?
AoM God
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 04:20 PM EDT (US)         
During the 2001 summer I read some articles about AoM that stated that AoM was going to have things like foot steps in the sand and snow, seeing breath when in a cold environment and villagers whiping there brows from the sweat caused by heat. In the summer of 2001 screenshots, most of these details were seen (footsteps in snow and sand). In the recent SS I haven't seen any of these. ES, I was wondering if this extra attention to realism will be added in the final version. I really hope it is cause Im sure it would look awesome. Please answer.

AoM God

AuthorReplies:
thawky
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 04:34 PM EDT (US)     1 / 32       
My guess is they've taken those out now to start getting the gameplay right without having to worry about anything else.

thawky
I'm heaven sent...don't you dare forget.

My tongue's the only muscle on my body that works harder than my heart.

Napoleon_the_XV
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 05:55 PM EDT (US)     2 / 32       
I just thought of something: how would the temperature be determined? Simply by terrain? Like this:

Desert-hot-sweating
Snow-cold-shivering
Grass-??-??

History is a set of lies agreed upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names. - John F. Kennedy
After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one. - Cato the Elder
IV1066
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 06:47 PM EDT (US)     3 / 32       

Quote:

just thought of something: how would the temperature be determined? Simply by terrain?

I can't think of a better way. Unless those little effects were creating problems detrimental to game play I assume ES is keeping them... they look awesome.

Bronze_Giant 7
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 07:48 PM EDT (US)     4 / 32       
Foot prints are still in. They didnt take it away. Maybe the foot prints disapeered cause remember the foot prints disapeer over time.

THE STONG, THE CUNNING, THE: BRONZE GIANT!!! the smart forumer cause when da stampede is comin he doesnt defend other forumers he runs up a tree.
Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 03:14 AM EDT (US)     5 / 32       
Realism has as good as nothing to do with it. It looks cool, that's why such things are there. Small details like this could quite likely be added or taken away quite late in the process.
PseudoKnight
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 06:19 AM EDT (US)     6 / 32       
It's not necessary and would only bog down our computers, but these would be awesome as a high-quality setting in the options menu.

As for sweating because of the heat, ES would merely have a 'brow-wiping' animation for villagers on the desert terrain when they're idle. Simple as that.

.: Webmaster of the great StrategyEmpire.
.: Administrator and Moderator of the friendly SE forums.
.: Slave of the infamous E1 clan.
.: Friend to the friendless forumer.
.: etc.
Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 22 January 2002 12:20 PM EDT (US)     7 / 32       
Anyone who's made it to the Village level in Return to Castle Wolfenstien knows how attention to detail can suck you into a game. A sweet movie introducing that level shows soldiers patroling on a snowy night, complete with seeing their breath as they exhale. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't part of RM games, but for in-game movies that would be really cool.
Sir_Deraj
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 01:28 PM EDT (US)     8 / 32       
TI wouldnt be the end of the world if they didnt throw in those extra effects. But I think foot prints are a must and seeing the peoples breath would be great and add to the realism of the game.I bet ES will have at least 1 of these features in the game.

I came
I saw
I conquered
PROUD MEMBER OF THE LONELY KNIGHTS CLAN
pokethejohn
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 01:32 PM EDT (US)     9 / 32       
I think they should have it so that the dead bodies etc stay on the ground longer.

And not dissepear right after the thing dies..

Personal site- www.stellar-sky.net/immix -not active at the moment.
AOM site I help run- www.age-of-myth.com -check out the new layout.
Age site I post news for- www.aoe2.com -back up and running

vladimir87
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 02:45 PM EDT (US)     10 / 32       
ground after a few seconds... Maybe this is realistic in AOK when 5 years flew by every 10 seconds, but in a day by day game, no way!

Hey, why not just keep the guys on the ground in a day by day game... I mean, its just tribute to your glorious army... I am not the guy who like, prints screenshots in my games, but still, when my anubites raze the last of my bloodied form, I would love o see his slaughtered army lined up outside his base... Yay, I would zoom all the way in on my fallen foes...

This might cause lag in a really long game, when there are tons of casualties. I think it would be neat just the same, especially in blood scenarios. Now that would get messy...

Or at least dig teh graves for the units! :P

-Vladimir87

LongSiege
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 03:38 PM EDT (US)     11 / 32       
When I think realism in AOM I think of the water. ES sure did a great job on thewater graphics. The waves go in and out just like they would in real life.

Other things they could do to add realism to the game could be...

1/ swaying trees and farms..

2/ the migration and birth of animals

3/ lots of blood and like someone said before, bodies that stay on the ground for a long period of time.

4/ Maybe each civ sould have their own language...

5/ each unit sound have various movments or animations instead of just one repetitive one...

just my thoughts...

http://aom.rtsgamer.com
AoM VIP Alpha Tester
shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 22 January 2002 03:44 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32       

Quote:

/ lots of blood

we still want to keep this thing so that kids can buy it

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
AoM God
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 04:31 PM EDT (US)     13 / 32       
I think all of these are great ideas and I even heard of a few of those in articles (swaying trees). But the best idea would be if they were included in an option, because for people with slower computers (such as myself) these extra things would slow things down. But for those who have awesome computers (hopefully Ill get one before AoM comes out) they can enjoy it!
I love the idea of dead bodies staying on the ground, that would look awesome! But I really want to hear what ES thinks or has to say about this......hint hint

* GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WITH YOUR EXAMS!

AoM God

pokethejohn
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 05:02 PM EDT (US)     14 / 32       
I always love the look of a fallen army.

And another thing. I said this before in another topic, but when someone attacks a building, it would be cool for it not to catch on fire. If a normal thing attacks it, have it slowly fall apart. But if something with a fire attack attacks it, then have it catch on fire.

It was kinda weird to have a swords man attack a house and have it catch on fire.

LongSiege
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 07:08 PM EDT (US)     15 / 32       
I like your idea with the buildings. Another idea with damaged buildings could be that they lose effectiveness... For example a building that usually produces a certain unit in 30 seconds has taken 50% damage. Now that building should lose effectivness and produce that same unit 50% longer. So that unit that originally took 30 seconds to complete in a perfectly untouched building now creates that unit in 1 minute.

get what I mean? that way its worth while to repair your buildings...

AoM VIP Alpha Tester

[This message has been edited by LongSiege (edited 01-22-2002 @ 07:09 PM).]

Bronze_Giant 7
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 09:24 PM EDT (US)     16 / 32       
I've said dis TOO many times the trees sway in da wind!

THE STONG, THE CUNNING, THE: BRONZE GIANT!!! the smart forumer cause when da stampede is comin he doesnt defend other forumers he runs up a tree.
pokethejohn
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 10:00 PM EDT (US)     17 / 32       
Yeah, and so do the farms..i think..

pokethejohn
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 10:03 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32       
I dont know if this is already in the game.

But when ships let people off on land.... Do the ships accutally pull up on land.. Or is it like aok where they just get close to the land and the people just suddenly appear?

AoM God
Mortal
posted 24 January 2002 05:19 PM EDT (US)     19 / 32       
I hope ES can answer a few of these questons

AoM God

Real
Mortal
posted 25 January 2002 05:04 AM EDT (US)     20 / 32       
They can, but they won't!

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!

[This message has been edited by Real (edited 01-25-2002 @ 05:05 AM).]

LongSiege
Mortal
posted 25 January 2002 09:49 AM EDT (US)     21 / 32       

Quote:

They can, but they won't

and no we aren't trying to use reverse cycology (sp?)

AoM VIP Alpha Tester
Samir_4
Banned
posted 26 January 2002 04:59 PM EDT (US)     22 / 32       
I wonder if it the birds will have a nest
Or or.uh or if the Chickens will lay eggs

Hope so

pokethejohn
Mortal
posted 26 January 2002 05:31 PM EDT (US)     23 / 32       
HAHA

Real
Mortal
posted 27 January 2002 12:57 PM EDT (US)     24 / 32       
I hope birds will land sometimes.

open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
Samir_4
Banned
posted 27 January 2002 07:50 PM EDT (US)     25 / 32       

Quote:

I hope birds will land sometimes

Oh me toooo and we can watch them play soccer, run, swim etc. oh yeah its gona be fun

[This message has been edited by Samir_4 (edited 01-27-2002 @ 07:50 PM).]

AoM God
Mortal
posted 27 January 2002 09:31 PM EDT (US)     26 / 32       
Ya samir! Soccer rules! But back to topic, I really hope footsteps stay on the ground for a bit (only on snow and sand, not grass). And the bodies and blood should remain on the gorund for a few minutes too. I know kids will be playing, but things like blood and extra details like this can be made into an option so that people with slow computers can simply turn it off, but for those with fast computers they can enjoy the realism!

AoM God

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:53 PM EDT (US)     27 / 32       
I feel, (similar to what Thunda said) that it would be best in cinimatics. You would hardly notice it in a regular game, and if you did it wouldn't contribute much, (little itty tiny breath smoke, aliitle much i'd say). But in cinimatics, where you may be face to face with a unit, it adds alot.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
AoM God
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 00:46 AM EDT (US)     28 / 32       
Ya I agree i just mentioned the breaths and that stuff cause it was in the article I read. In game cinimatics , Im all for it there as well.

AoM God

Immhotep
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 02:01 AM EDT (US)     29 / 32       
From the SS so far, I don't think AOM will have any trouble with realism, although it could be made even mor realistic.

From the chat with Bruce Shelly, it was mentioned that weather effects won't be in AOM. Now that really disappointed me, and pro'ly lots of ppl out there. But I thought we saw snow in the Norse Flyover AVI? Could it be just a god power effect?

Real
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 05:55 AM EDT (US)     30 / 32       
There just won't be random eye candy weather effects I think, but every weather effect which is there (rain, snow, wind etc) will be there as a GP I think.

I also think that this is even better, because it would be dumb if random snow for example, would make your units slower, ' cause it wouldn't be there for every player.

So, if these effects are GP's they can effect gameplay 'cause they're an attack, so they become more realistic.

But I've an idea for eye candy weather effects which can be realistic (affecting gameplay) and randomly:

If it wouldn't snow at a randomly choosen place on the map ('cause then it would become unfair) but on the whole map.

Then every player's units would be slower etc and not only the units of one player.

So it would be fair, interesting and eye candy.

That would really be cool I think!

And what do u think?

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 01:32 PM EDT (US)     31 / 32       
If weather is put in AoM, then it shouldn't effect gameplay, unless it was from a GP. Random snow may be nice, but it should effect gameplay for fairness. I think ES will feel the same way about snowing all over the map as they do Night and Day..... why have it. It wouldn't seem to be that fun.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 09:51 PM EDT (US)     32 / 32       
in the norse flyover video the snow is a GP called upon by player one. you can see it on the right corner when it starts...
and Bruce said in the Australian movies that GP such as raining would affect the whole map...
but i don't think there will be random rains or snowstorms...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames