You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Do you like how in AOK there were outlineswhen a unit was behind suttin or AOM how its a outline filled in?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Do you like how in AOK there were outlineswhen a unit was behind suttin or AOM how its a outline filled in?
Bronze_Giant 7
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 07:55 PM EDT (US)         
I remember how in AOK i was being crushed then i have 1 cavilear left so i hide behind a tree until the person left he could never find me cause of the outline and he had a villager right in front o me and he still NEVER found me so yes i like how AOM is filled in. tell me which you like better.

THE STONG, THE CUNNING, THE: BRONZE GIANT!!! the smart forumer cause when da stampede is comin he doesnt defend other forumers he runs up a tree.
AuthorReplies:
IV1066
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 08:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
I like having a solid color and not an outline, I just think white is the wrong color. It should be the player color, that way you know who the soldier belongs too, and it won't blend in with snow.
InsaneCow
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 08:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
Well, if you have a bunch of units behind a building, I think it will be harder to see which one is which with the outline filled in, so I vote for the outline that is not filled in. But I have not played AOM with it filled in, so I don't know if it really makes a big difference or not.

I lost in the AOE3H FRR
Support Gay Pride!
Michael Jackson is innocent!
G-Dubs is the greatest president evah!
Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 08:03 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
Why didn't he find you? That's a little silly. I think that particular person was just a little unobservant or something. If he had a villager right next to you your cavalier would have shown up on the mini-map as a colored dot. (Also why didn't he run spies?!?)

It didn't take long to figure out the outlines either. They didn't show up much and when they did I could always tell exactly what kind of the unit they were because the unit shapes themselves were so distinctive.

That being said, I really don't care whether it's outlined or filled in, just as long as it's not totally hidden.

"It may come as a shock to you . . . You can have fun and be serious all at the same time."
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 08:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
it could be the player color. That was a gaia unit there.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 08:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
Solid outline is ok with players' units, but I don't like it for gaia units, because it takes away the beauty of the trees when too many gaia units stand behind them. Imagine a giant Giraffe standing next to a small oak tree .

players units = solid outline
gaia units = hollow outline

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 01-21-2002 @ 08:32 PM).]

GNon
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 08:46 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
like Alexander Great3's idea...

I think we've seen the outline on one of the E3 movies, i remeber somethin having a red outline

Note: It's the second E3 movie that shows villies glowing red behind the fallen tree

Zone: GNon42 ESO: GNon
AOM MPT Tester VIP \\\\ !TEAL! ////
"Beware of the Shadows, they move when you're not looking."
" See. "
Bronze_Giant 7
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 09:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
Hmmm... it's another lecture that is really short... giaia: white behind trees
red soldier: Red behind trees
green soldier: Green behind trees
blue soldier: Blue behind trees
its also filled in not a line ok!!!

THE STONG, THE CUNNING, THE: BRONZE GIANT!!! the smart forumer cause when da stampede is comin he doesnt defend other forumers he runs up a tree.
vladimir87
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 09:05 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
Hey everyone,

Well, just thought I would mention, in a dm, you can't get spies. In regicide, well in regicide it wouldn't matter. I would not like solid color, it would be confusing and would blend with everything. Alsoif it were solid think, it would be like erasing the landscape or building in front right?

Am I the only one visualizing this? The farthest back trees would just be a white abstract blob! Definately go with just the outline, preferably of whoever's unit it is.

There ya go,

Vladimir87

SoR_Anarchy
Mortal
posted 21 January 2002 10:47 PM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
I think the solid outline is Solid.

God Bless America.

I am the state.

GNon
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 00:03 AM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
vladimir: it's not erasing just filling in with your color

Zone: GNon42 ESO: GNon
AOM MPT Tester VIP \\\\ !TEAL! ////
"Beware of the Shadows, they move when you're not looking."
" See. "
Zen
Ghost
(id: Angel Zen)
posted 22 January 2002 00:07 AM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
IMO, having a solid outline makes it easier to identify where "hidden" units are

Zen
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 00:21 AM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
I dunno if it's technically possible using those AoK lines with the 3D engine.

However, both ways are better than nothing, and better than EE's idea (making the whole building transparent when a unit walks behind it).

Did you notice that when a small part of the animal was hidden the white "outline" wasn't shown, and only when most of the animal was hidden the lines were shown?

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect
pomliam
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 00:48 AM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
I agree with IV1066, solid outline but the player coulor and maybe white for gaia units such as animals.
vladimir87
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 07:50 AM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
I realise that Gnon, but the points the same, I don't want the base of my castle to look like a big white blob of taloses :P

-Vladimir87

Ava BanAna
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 08:13 AM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
IMO having solid outlines behind items really takes from the "realism" of the experience. Whie ones would really spoil it.

Shadow outlines are fine for me.

"We came, we saw, we got all our trebs stuck behind a wall due to pathing problems.........."
Real
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 08:48 AM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
Outlines, doesn't matter if in player colour or not, but outlines, look at the newest shot, tha full white antilope looks silly!

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
ThorsHammer_
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 09:13 AM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
I think that a solid outline is better. Even though it takes up more space, a solid outline will be easier to distinguish things that are overlapping each other.

Like just the other day, in an AoK game, I had a stone mine walled off in a square, with a castle and a tower to protect the miners from archers. The tower was behind the castle, so the tower was all a big ol' line behind the castle, and I couldnt even click on the darn thing, so when the expected army of archers waltzed over and started shooting the miners, I tried to put a couple in the tower to give it extra firepower (the castles was already maxed out), but I couldnt seem to select the tower, and I just had to stick em in the castle.

So, with a solid outline, (with some extra programming on ES' part) I hopefully will be able to select things when they are overlapped by something else.

LongSiege
Mortal
posted 22 January 2002 07:16 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
maybe there will be an optionin whic you can change between an outline and a solid figure...?

http://aom.rtsgamer.com
AoM VIP Alpha Tester
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames