You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Is AOM going to turn into Battle Realms?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is AOM going to turn into Battle Realms?
Psychic Ostrich
Mortal
posted 23 January 2002 06:31 AM EDT (US)         
Everyone is talking about shield stances when you press a button, and once people were talking about different "routes" fighting units can go through to become other units, or something like that. I dont personally want Aom to be lots of micro management except the "kill that priest, hes converting my elephant" kind, I mean telling your units who to attack because they are not the priority (do you really want you champions killing that archer, when that onargar is dismantalling your spearmen a tile away?"

I'm not against that, but as soon as people start going "and if you press this button" I start thinking of Battle Realms.

For anyone who has not played it, it is a great game set in a chinese/japanese/fantasy/magic kind of thing. Its got a viriety of units, but a population limit of maximum 40-50 (I cant remember). It makes up for this by giving units more abilities. Eg: Archers naturally stand back in battle, shooting at the enemy, but can whack enemies up close with his bow. Also units that are "infantry" sometimes have ranged attack as well,Eg: the dragon warrior can shoot a magic blast at the enemy, but only if he has to, he prefers to fight with his sword. You can be more flexible with your arrangement, maybe you want to put your Dragon warriors behind, because your enemies army is weak to magic? Do you want to sneak your archers into their rice field on there own? It can mean that different units in your army can have many different roles, Fan Geisha behind can heal your units, but put them in front and you have got a stronger front line.
I like this flexibility, but I dont want aom to be too much like that. Archers behind, infantry in front, simplicity itself but no more boring in battle if you want distrction.

Another thing, all this "press this button" stuff is exactly what Battle Realms is about, Units can be given Battle Gear, which is a skill or weapon the unit can use when you want it to. A button apears under the unis picture, which you can press to activate it. These can range from a one hit glass sword that kills an opponent in one shot, but hurts the unit that uses it, a force field which protects the unit for a lengh of time but slowly drains stamina (running drains stamina too), or fire arrows that can set a building on fire. There are tons of them, all for different units. But it means that you spend your time switching them on or off all battle, "switch on fire arrows Now! to get those wolves, oh damn my dragon warriors sheild has run out...."

Great!, but Its not Aom style, If they want large epic battles then pressing units buttons is not the way to go, If you are constantly looking at unit stats, then you cant have any fun seeing your enemies die. Theve got it to work in Battle realms, sacrificing more units, But Aom is about big epic battles with Mus trashing the place with their human friends.Oh, and cool GP's to make the battle cooler.

There, I have had a ramble, feel free to ignore it. I could go on for longer, but Ive got to have breakfast.

SNIPPETS OF A CAFE CHAT:
Hey hi, damn, where is my... ...fridge, y'now, its been playing... ...with his nailclippers! I didnt know what to... ...weed, cos' i'm not a gardner, unlike Old... ...cushion, now it was... ...a bit soggy, with all his diarrhoea... ...experience with the theoretical side of... ...cats, oh they are doing... ...dancing with his best friend! now I would like to... ...grasp by the hilt you see? Anyway better be... ...going to lose his socks, silly... ...frog. Cya'...
AuthorReplies:
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 23 January 2002 06:38 AM EDT (US)     1 / 15       
No, it is not.

Period.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
pomliam
Mortal
posted 23 January 2002 07:13 AM EDT (US)     2 / 15       
its not going to tturn to battle realms, the things you mentioned are just ideas or things that could maybe be goo if added.

K.

PseudoKnight
Mortal
posted 23 January 2002 08:01 AM EDT (US)     3 / 15       
I think this posts just reminds people that some features don't fit with ES's gameplay style, and they should recognize that before getting too caught up in the idea.

It also shows that there are sacrfices in these types of games. If you want one 'thing', you might have to sacrifice this 'thing' on the other end; etc. In Battle Realms, they had more features and detail per unit which turned into less units in battles not only for home computers to handle the game's graphics, but it would be difficult for somebody to manage too many features (stances, stamina, morale, formations, battlegear, horses, mana, etc.) for all their units.

.: Webmaster of the great StrategyEmpire.
.: Administrator and Moderator of the friendly SE forums.
.: Slave of the infamous E1 clan.
.: Friend to the friendless forumer.
.: etc.
Stone_Giant
Mortal
posted 23 January 2002 01:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15       

Quoted from TheShadowDawn:

No, it is not.

Period.

Well Said

Stone_Giant

Elite War Master
Mortal
posted 23 January 2002 01:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15       
AoM will not have a gameplay like Battle Realms. Still BR's gameplay is something new and difficult to master. I love Battle Realms and if you want to make your waiting for WC3 or AoM shorter buy the game. I greatly recommend it
Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 23 January 2002 02:05 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15       
I'd recommend getting something other than BR.
Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 23 January 2002 05:43 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15       
I agree.

"It may come as a shock to you . . . You can have fun and be serious all at the same time."
Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 23 January 2002 09:22 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15       
Battle Realms sounds like the bad parts of Warcraft 3.
Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 23 January 2002 09:42 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15       
I actually liked Battle Realms. Its just not many people played online, as long as I seen. Unfortuantly my AGP slot died some how, must have burned out. So using my brother's old laptop, no games for me for a bit.
PseudoKnight
Mortal
posted 24 January 2002 00:20 AM EDT (US)     10 / 15       
It's a VERY good game, but replayability is sadly limited.
Seqenenre Tao
posted 24 January 2002 01:24 AM EDT (US)     11 / 15       
Think of the AOE/AOK series then add a touch of War Craft II, Black & White, Settlers III, and a whole new set of gameplay created by ES. That is what AOM is like.

~}Kataastaas, Kagalang-galang ng Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan{~
(The High, Honorable Society of the Sons of the People)
Mabuhay ang Maharlika!

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/wellletsseehere.jpg
ThorsHammer_
Mortal
posted 24 January 2002 08:31 AM EDT (US)     12 / 15       
Battle Realms = Ugh...
JKA_Yarra
Mortal
posted 24 January 2002 07:00 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15       
Nah, I think Battle Realms is good. And im currently enjoying it. but the multiplayer isnt as big as the AoE Series is. Sadly.

All I can say is its a change from the AoK style. I liked it, some people my not. Tho I like the AoE series better

"Real skill comes without effort" - Li Mu Bai

The Legendary Clan: JKA
Go here, have fun, buy a Rottweiler: JustAsk

BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 24 January 2002 09:06 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15       
i have my hopes that ES won't let AoM be too different from their previous games...

i know what you mean when you started this topic man...
not that i disrespect anyone's ideas.. its just that some people get caught up in the excitement of having a RTS game with mythology stuff and forget its will be an RTS... i've read everything in here: from people who want little bells on trees to know where the enemy is coming and hidden holes on the ground for the enemy to fall to characters from Lord of the Rings on Aom (again - not disrespecting anyone's ideas...)

i think that micro management will be ok as long as it goes on as it was in AoK... u already have tons of MUs that will require lots of thought to be used and countered, God powers that will give us lots o' nightmares. lets not worry with enemy traps and hidden nets on shores...

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 25 January 2002 00:14 AM EDT (US)     15 / 15       
I loved battle realms, but it didn't have the depth and replayability that I have from opinions of AoE and AoK come to assume will show in AoM. Battle realms was a game designed to please all those aesthetic things, rolling rocks down hills, putting people on horses and seeing them in towers. But for real, tangible gameplay, it was very simplistic; much like what I recall of Warcraft 2.

Warcraft 3 is a game I am avidly looking forward to, since it promises far increased depth and a reasonable multiplayer; completely different in that regard from its predecessors. I don't expect Warcraft 3 will be ultimately like Battle Realms.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames