You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.76 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Man I stink at AOM
Bottom
Topic Subject:Man I stink at AOM
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Hedrought
Mortal
posted 23 September 2008 07:04 PM EDT (US)         
Okay so I decide to play 3v3 on the map where your allies are really close to eachother. (Forget what it is called)
For my Allies I set a defender and an attacker.

For my enemies I set default, attacker and defender.
I was playing Zeus.

I diden't do too terrible but I was kind of behind, and I was barely able to fend of a pretty big wave of the enemy troops.
One thing I noticed though was that all teams had loads of villagers and farms everywhere, Multiple barracks. And a good army.
My army was fair, not as good as the CPU's but again not too bad. Although I had about 10 villagers.

Can someone teach me some defending and attacking strategies for Greek favoruing players?

PS: My real life backround is Norse

Life is but an illusion of particles and energy.
AuthorReplies:
igotskillz
Mortal
posted 04 October 2008 09:10 PM EDT (US)     61 / 76       
my spanish teacher does. hes german.

"If I was in somebodies sig I would kill a kitty....... A lol kitty....." -Keron Cyst
Hades Mythodea By igotskillz
DOWNLOAD MY AWESOME TAUNTZ!
Arus_II
Mortal
posted 05 October 2008 05:00 AM EDT (US)     62 / 76       
my spanish teacher does. hes german.
An english german who teaches spanish?
marcus owns all
Mortal
posted 06 October 2008 00:08 AM EDT (US)     63 / 76       
1stly, start playing eggy.
2ndly, if u don't then just mass economy until u have about 50-60 vills.
3rdly, as soon as u hit heroic take as many settlements as u can and pump vills out of all of them simnultaneously.
4thly, read "Zhaz's Newbie guide" and other guides on this site b4 posting any more threads
5thly, start playing eggy.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 06 October 2008 05:02 AM EDT (US)     64 / 76       
Yeah I usually put my market in my allies base.
Big mistake, because then you end up trading with your own TC, losing the bonus for trading with your ally's TC.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
Arus_II
Mortal
posted 06 October 2008 01:11 PM EDT (US)     65 / 76       
1stly, start playing eggy.
Erm.. sorry, but why Egyptian? A FH is very difficult to learn for a newb, greek is easier
muforseti
Mortal
posted 06 October 2008 01:13 PM EDT (US)     66 / 76       
eggy is up so dont play them!!!!
Jo93
Mortal
posted 06 October 2008 03:13 PM EDT (US)     67 / 76       
I agree, I am sort of ne to this game since I hadm't played in so long before a couple of weeks ago or so and I started playing greek which I found relatively simple and straightforward. I could easily advance to classical in a time which was not tooo too bad and then make a few little raiding parties and attack his economy whilst continuing to strengthen my econ so I could reach heroic, capture the settlements and build some seige so I could actually attack my opponents base properly.

Now I have decided to start playing Isis, however, and I am finding it quite a bit harder work. I am finding the FH significantly more tricky to pull off, even though the results are supposedly greater once I have mastered it and I can defeat the enemy in Heroic due to all Isis's advantages. The parts I find most annoying are the painfully slow build rate (I never know whether to commit more villies or the Pharoh because that will damage my econ) and the INSANELY difficult scouting. Often I will start a game and kill chickens or gather berries because I don't realise there is a really fat heard of animals right outside my LOS... and I also never know what parts of the map to explore first with my priest and when or where to build obelisks...

So stay as greek if you like them and want an easier time..

also PLEASE stop playing the AI and play some 1v1 rated.. you will improve SOOOO much quicker; don't worry about your rating, just play and learn something from every game you lose (you will probably lose most of them for quite a while. I am still losing most of mine FYI)

Returned to AoM after about 4 years
Strictly vanilla player... only..
Major_Rackham
Banned
posted 06 October 2008 06:54 PM EDT (US)     68 / 76       
Well, most of the old guides on this site are outdated but it is still good to read them, but only to get the concept.

Second, buy Titans, so much easier and will have way more good recs.

Third, play zeus to start out, way easy, I could get to at last 1610 within my first 2-3 weeks of playing by just playing as him. Perfectly straighforward. I would say the hardest civ is probably norse, as they require the most skill. I think they are the most fun though, imo.

Fourth, don't listen to marcus until he knows what he is talking about and is a bit better.
Arus_II
Mortal
posted 07 October 2008 01:04 AM EDT (US)     69 / 76       
Third, play zeus to start out, way easy, I could get to at last 1610 within my first 2-3 weeks of playing by just playing as him.
well.. its not SO easy, atm I am playing him and I am climbing to 1600 with Athena rush/ centaur strangle, but its not fast.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 07 October 2008 03:46 AM EDT (US)     70 / 76       
Honestly, I believe that Greek are harder to play than Norse. The buildup and unit system of Greek is pretty "traditional" and therefore easy to understand, but if you want to be good with them they are not easy. They especially have a difficult econ to micro, with the regular need to replace granaries/storehouses at cost and manually move your vills to another resource. Norse can be automated in this respect once you define a hotkey for the "Guard" command and use it on your ox carts. You can then just waypoint your dwarves over multiple gold mines, and the cart will follow them on automatic as they move to a new mine on their own when the old one is done. The cart will not always deploy optimally this way, but it is way better than having no drop site.

Eggy and Greek can do the same by pre-ordering a storehouse at the new gold mine using waypoints, but only Greek has to pay the corresponding resources in advance, so this is not always viable.

And for the forests, how often does it happen to a Greek that his last storehouse is miles from his wood cutters who have dug deep into the forest without him remembering to give them a new storehouse? An ox cart on guard mode will never allow the distance to his wood cutters to grow too large.

Norse is quite different and requires getting used to, but then you have an easier econ micro and a more efficient econ in general, because of dwarves and the generally closer distance of carts to vills. This allows you to focus more on the really important tasks.

So I recommend beginning with Greek to get a basic grasp of the game and then changing to another race to build up the first real skill. Atl is an inviting beginner race.

Major_Rackham
Banned
posted 07 October 2008 05:38 PM EDT (US)     71 / 76       
I suppose if you think of it that way (in theory) you are write, but in my experience (experiece) greek is easier. This may be true for only me but I would still have to say that greek is much easier, but that is my opinion. I would definitely not (as you said and I probably switched to too early) start out with greek.
Hedrought
Mortal
posted 13 October 2008 00:36 AM EDT (US)     72 / 76       
Wait what do you mean about me trading with my town center instead of my allies?

Life is but an illusion of particles and energy.
Arus_II
Mortal
posted 13 October 2008 00:51 AM EDT (US)     73 / 76       
Wait what do you mean about me trading with my town center instead of my allies?
no, you have to trade with your allies (if you have one), or else with your TC what is furthest away.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 13 October 2008 04:23 AM EDT (US)     74 / 76       
Hedrought, you said that you put your market in your ally's base. This means that it is close to his TC(s) and probably far away from yours, meaning that you will probably start trading with your own home TC.

However, you get a 50% bonus on trading income if you trade with an allied TC rather than one of your own, so you better place your market in your own base (or, even better, at the map edge most distant from your ally's TC) and then order your caravans to trade with the TC of your ally.

Dudis
Mortal
posted 13 October 2008 04:28 AM EDT (US)     75 / 76       
I have no idea whetther to play isis, ra or greek

"Quotes are nothing but inspiration for the uninspired"
72% of people agree with me when I say 28% of people disagree with me.
"I'll remove the clit at the end" - Rotaretilbo
" I just snapped off my penis thinking it was a nk" - BeezleBub
"Im a transexual STFU" - Briguy
Chlorhydris
Banned
posted 13 October 2008 08:01 AM EDT (US)     76 / 76       
I learnt on greek, it took me a few weeks to beat a hard computer, however I switched to playing Ra when I went online, I think the greeks are easier to learn with.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames