You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.30 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Special Villager Units!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Special Villager Units!
robdude11
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 01:50 PM EDT (US)         
Bruce Shelley said that the Norse have a special villager unit (the dwarf), which can harvest resources much faster!!! I wonder what other civs may have. I think the egyptians should have slaves that build buildings much faster (after all, they built the pyramids), and greeks, well i not sure what they may have. what do u ppl think?
AuthorReplies:
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 01:55 PM EDT (US)     1 / 30       
Hey, welcome to the forums!

Sorry to disappoint you, but we knew about the drarves thing for months...
I think only Norse have a "special worker", but I might be wrong.

... and slaves... they weren't better workers, just a lot cheaper...

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect
robdude11
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 02:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 30       
Well, I've been visiting AoM for a while, but i just signed up for the forums today. i guess i missed the news about the dwarves. alright, so maybe egyptian villagers could cost less? but it would be really cool if the villagers were all different and had different abilites, kinda like starcraft, xcept in that game only the names were different.
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 02:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 30       
I also like Starcraft's way of making the civs different one from another, though of-course, SC is less limited by realism than AoM .

A screenshot with drarves. (far right side, in the middle, mining gold)

The Last Knight
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 03:27 PM EDT (US)     4 / 30       
Actually... the egyptians didn't use laves...
it has been proved that every msingle guy that worked in the pyramids was payed for his work... so no slaves....
Real
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 03:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 30       
Bruce said that only the norse have special villagers right now.

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
IvIoneY
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 03:47 PM EDT (US)     6 / 30       
in that ss, on th left where u see the farms... (i dono if someone has spotted this, probably but i dont know) are those tree farms??? like you can grow trees to chop down?
pokethejohn
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 04:11 PM EDT (US)     7 / 30       
lol, i doubt it..but hey what do know. I think its just an expired farm....

Personal site- www.stellar-sky.net/immix -not active at the moment.
AOM site I help run- www.age-of-myth.com -check out the new layout.
Age site I post news for- www.aoe2.com -back up and running

Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 04:14 PM EDT (US)     8 / 30       
IvIoneY: if you mean the screenshot I sent, these are farms, but I think their graphics were change since that screenshot was released.

The Last Knight
robdude11
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 06:17 PM EDT (US)     9 / 30       
About the tree farm, remember the SS's around Christmas? how there was a cart pulling some trees, and 3 trees were on the ground. Well, maybe there are no tree farms, but carts can pull trees from the wilderness. this could cut back on the time it takes to cut the trees with normal villagers. however, they may have just put the trees there because of the christmas theme. just an idea. a very wild idea.
Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 06:43 PM EDT (US)     10 / 30       

Quoted from robdude11:

Bruce Shelley said that the Norse have a special villager unit (the dwarf), which can harvest resources much faster!!! I wonder what other civs may have. I think the egyptians should have slaves that build buildings much faster (after all, they built the pyramids)

Very good idea ! That's a good and realistic bonus. As for the Greeks, I think (from observing the screenshots) that the Greeks will definitely have some type of water bonus...perhaps fishing? Seems very reasonable to me.

*crosses fingers and hopes ES makes human fishing more valuable in AOM*

robdude11
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 06:52 PM EDT (US)     11 / 30       

Quoted from Alexandergreat3:

As for the Greeks, I think (from observing the screenshots) that the Greeks will definitely have some type of water bonus...perhaps fishing?

hmmm... i never thought of that, but it would work. i was maybe thinking of their theatre and entertainment, but i don't think that could be incorporated into the game. maybe you could sacrifice villagers for bonuses, like greeks once did in theatres... but then again, that would require maybe too much micromanagement

Cybercat
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 07:42 PM EDT (US)     12 / 30       
I thought they said in the "Bruce Shelly" chat that the dwarf can mine gold faster?
vladimir87
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 07:52 PM EDT (US)     13 / 30       
1. The dwarves can only mine gold faster, (good dm culture?)

2. The farms in the official ES screenshot are exhausted! The vills arent working, and they look like they did in the locust shot!

3. quote- ... and slaves... they weren't better workers, just a lot cheaper...
endquote/ Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

4. Why do you think the greek sget a fishing bonus? Because we see them fishing? We know thats not true, as bruce said they hadnt thought of any bonuses for the other civs (though I bet they will get some eventually)

5. Tree farms? Naw... Tree carrying carts you saw in the joke holiday screenies? Naw. I dont think monkeys ride gators either, and I dont think a giant christmas tree is in the game... Maybe im wrong, but... i dont think so

Just my thoughts...

-Vladimir87

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 07:55 PM EDT (US)     14 / 30       
Yes, the Norse Dwarves in AoM mine gold faster.
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 08:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 30       
About the greek bonus thing:

Maybe Poseidon civ will get the bonus you want...

About the Slave thing:

Bad idea... they want to differenciate cultures... thats why i think only the norse will have a unique villager... Thats also why egyptian get priests and other civs don't...
Hey, you can always convert villies and call them slaves...

robdude11
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:21 PM EDT (US)     16 / 30       
does anyone know if military units will now be male and female? just like villagers in AoK?
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:24 PM EDT (US)     17 / 30       
they will probably be all male, since very few women faught in the military.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
robdude11
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:26 PM EDT (US)     18 / 30       
ok
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:38 PM EDT (US)     19 / 30       
np

There might be some female MUs tho

Real
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 05:48 AM EDT (US)     20 / 30       
Yeah, the Medusa for example.

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 30 January 2002 06:00 AM EDT (US)     21 / 30       

Quote:

1. The dwarves can only mine gold faster, (good dm culture?)

i believe he also said they were better builders! yay go norse!

Quote:

the Medusa for example

and probably the valkyries to

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 01:36 PM EDT (US)     22 / 30       
i thought the dwarves mined gold fast?

Jzwark
Mortal
posted 31 January 2002 01:00 PM EDT (US)     23 / 30       
I am positive that the Egyptians didn't build the pyramids with their slaves. Even though the pyramids were their largest construction feats, they didn't use slaves to build them because they were the sacred tombs and spiritual resting places of their GOD-kings, their pharoahs. Using FOREIGN slaves (like Israelites) to build the pyramids for their EGYPTIAN pharoahs would be heresy to them. So they never did that. Thus, your analogy is false, and so I don't think the Egyptians should get slaves, after all, every ancient civilization used slaves.
robdude11
Mortal
posted 31 January 2002 01:12 PM EDT (US)     24 / 30       
alright, so maybe the egyptians didn't use slaves to build the PYRAMIDS, but they still had slaves. these slaves were freed after the plagues (i forget how many there were) and the killing of the first newborn in every household. this is all explained in Exodus, the second book of the Old Testament. i still think the egyptians should get some type of building bonus, but maybe the villagers shouldn't be called slaves. but, they should get a building bonus since the egyptians did build the Great Pyramids, which still today are marvelled as a great feat.

[This message has been edited by robdude11 (edited 01-31-2002 @ 01:13 PM).]

LongBow
Mortal
posted 31 January 2002 01:17 PM EDT (US)     25 / 30       
Norse Dwarves mine gold faster and build buildings faster. This will allow the Norse to get on their feet faster than other civilizations and be able to send out the raiding parties that are critical to Norse tactics. If this culture cannot, get resources early and kill some enemy units, to get favor, I would doubt that they would be able to win the game. In this way, the dwarves are a perfect complement to the culture.

TVB_LongBow/VinegaryFlea
"I hat longbow"--Stark_Zero
TVB CLAN
"Because you're the voice of reason, and plus I figured you'd like the blinking light on top."--_parlous_provost
Please note that LongBow and Associates Condones, Practices and will train people to flame. It also helps promote any drug use that could possibly be amusing, Russian roulette and Gambling
David
HG Alumnus
posted 01 February 2002 04:04 AM EDT (US)     26 / 30       
With a bit of luck we should be seeing more info about the dwarves soon...Archangel said "after the holidays", and those are long gone, so...

Whatever, it's worth waiting on, I promise!

Sir_Deraj
Mortal
posted 01 February 2002 01:27 PM EDT (US)     27 / 30       
Teh egytians did have slaves.The Isrealites were the slaves and constructed the pyramids.

I came
I saw
I conquered
PROUD MEMBER OF THE LONELY KNIGHTS CLAN
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 01 February 2002 02:31 PM EDT (US)     28 / 30       

Quote:

There is some controversy whether there was slavery at all in ancient Egypt. The differences of opinion stem mostly from how slavery is defined. Theory and practice of Egyptian slavery were, as far as we can ascertain, very different from that of Greece, Rome or the southern states of the USA and more in line with the kind of slavery practiced in the rest of Africa.

http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/timelines/topics/slavery.htm

1) The Israelites didn't build the Pyramids (!), so all that "Egyptians didn't use slaves because of the Pyramids" is meaningless. according to the bible they built granary-cities (Pitom & Raamses). Archeological findings approve there actually were such cities.

2) The ancient Egyptian moral laws and religion were very different than the moral laws we know, so the fact the Pyramids were sacred doesn't mean slaves didn't build them. (we still don't know what was the main use of the Pyramids: religious, tomb or Astronomical research, or all of them)
Pharaohs were sometimes burried with their workers(/slaves) and that's not really moral in modern terms. Besides, the 2nd Temple of Jerusalem itself was built by foreign workers (probably not slaves), what didn't make it less holly.

3) Many archeologist claim that the Pyramids weren't built by slaves, but by professional workers, because of archeological findings near the Pyramids, that show there was a whole economical system designed for the Pyramids workers.

The Last Knight
Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 01 February 2002 09:26 PM EDT (US)     29 / 30       
You are correct. Slaves didn't build the pyramids. Normal workers did. They did it because they thought the only way they would be able to go on to the afterlife or something like that was to build a pyramid so their leader could go to the afterlife.
IV1066
Mortal
posted 01 February 2002 09:38 PM EDT (US)     30 / 30       

Quote:

They did it because they thought the only way they would be able to go on to the afterlife or something like that was to build a pyramid so their leader could go to the afterlife.

Also, it was a job while the Nile was inundated and there was nothing to farm. In any case, the Egpytians don't deserve slaves as a special villie unit any more that the Greeks or Norse would. Besides, based on the example of dwarves, it seems that a special villie would be mythological, not mundane like a slave.

Call me Hal, ok?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames