You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.72 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Night and Day
Bottom
Topic Subject:Night and Day
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
AoM God
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 06:30 PM EDT (US)         
"... night and day will be available in the scenario editor only..." - Bruce Shelley

I sure hope that we can change to night in regular scenarios. I think it would be cool to fight battles at night. God powers and myth units glowing at night and fire-lit arrows and catapolts flying in the air. These are just a few ideas that would make the game that much more spectacular to look at. Even building your city at sun set or sun rise (or whatever time you want) would be interesting to, it would give your city a whole new look.

AoM God

AuthorReplies:
robdude11
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 11:00 AM EDT (US)     61 / 72       

Quoted from AoM God:

I read something in an article that said that attacking at night was better since the buildings and people have less of a radius to see. There are many other ways this can effect the gameplay and make it more fun.

ES, read this!

yes, i agree with you on that, you could do many different things so that day/night affect gameplay. u could make villagers work slower (drowsy), or units not attack to their fullest potential. night raids could be possible of the fog of war or the radius that ppl can see was decreased. if u had torches set up, then maybe your radius would increase. but, i don't think ES would put all this in AoM. maybe the expansion or AoE III...

...I wonder if our debate would make the CURRENT NEWS of AoMH...hehe...

[This message has been edited by robdude11 (edited 01-30-2002 @ 11:09 AM).]

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 12:35 PM EDT (US)     62 / 72       
Not only would LOS be diminished, but thoughts also consisted of archers having less range and accuracy, or the Norse get bonuses for attacking at night. Stuff like that.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 06:17 PM EDT (US)     63 / 72       
What's this about some sort of time bar deal thing? It sounds cool. Can someone please explain it to me?
IV1066
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 06:24 PM EDT (US)     64 / 72       
In the E3 AoM videos the day/night was controlled by a little slider bar, so the top would be day, the bottom night, and as the bar slid between it transitioned through dusk/dawn (depending on whether you're going up or down). It was a tool to show off graphics and won't be in RM, presumably.
Immhotep
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 07:15 PM EDT (US)     65 / 72       
Hey Kong_kk and robbdude, no offense, but stop BS'ing and scaring people with nonsensical programming language .

3D engines are not like 2d engines, where each image has a fixed frame. That's how 3D engines allow you to zoom in and out smoothly, where 2d cannot! The same thing goes with the lightings: you don't need to do a new art for every single level of lighting .

There are many possible reasons as to why ES put the night/day for the scenario editor only (presumably):

- not enough time/money $$$
- leave the good stuffs for the xpack (more $ale$)
- it might be in the multiplayer, but ES don't want to "spill the beans", just yet

[This message has been edited by Immhotep (edited 01-30-2002 @ 07:18 PM).]

Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 09:07 PM EDT (US)     66 / 72       
dd made it sound as if es was just being lazy and that they would be able to code in transitions in 10 min. that is not realistic. there would be some art required. shaders and such would be needed and also new sky textures.
Immhotep
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 09:18 PM EDT (US)     67 / 72       

Quoted from Kong_kk:

dd made it sound as if es was just being lazy and that they would be able to code in transitions in 10 min. that is not realistic

Of course not! Even a multiplayer scenario in AOK takes weeks to design. But that's not the point. The point is I don't think DD ever tried to say that making the night/day effect takes 10 min. You're just hyping it up (along with the other theories of yours)!! DD was pointing out that, with how much has been finished with night/day effect till this point in development, implementing it to the multiplayer is not a question about "can" or "cannot"; it's about whether ES want to or not (for whatever reasons).

...and remember, this feature is already in the game. It's not something we've just come up with, and ask ES to implement it. It has already been made.

robdude11
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 10:30 PM EDT (US)     68 / 72       

Quoted from Immhotep:

implementing it to the multiplayer is not a question about "can" or "cannot"; it's about whether ES want to or not (for whatever reasons).

i think ES may not want to implement the night/day transitions and options into RM, DM, and MP because they want to leave it for the campaign and user-created scenarios.

Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 30 January 2002 11:29 PM EDT (US)     69 / 72       
Well okay. He didn't say it would take 10 min, he said it would be easy as pie .

Anyway, I did overhype it. I apologize.

About the transitions anyways, I don't think ES has actually implemented day/night transitions while you're in the middle of playing the game. I think right now the time of day is set b4 the map loads and then that's the way it stays for the duration of the scenario/game.

Why ES isn't implementing this feature into RM/DM is beyond me. Maybe it's a tedious process or something. Who knows. I sure hope that they do give you the option to choose though so it's not just limited to scenarios. As for real time transitions (That's what we were arguing about). That would be sweet.

AoM God
Mortal
posted 31 January 2002 01:13 AM EDT (US)     70 / 72       
I agree with kong_kk. There is nothing wrong with night and day, its just beautiful to look at. Its better to have cause just plain day can get boring to look at after a while. Compared to night and day and dusk and so on, things look different and really good. Know what I mean?

AoM God

robdude11
Mortal
posted 31 January 2002 12:28 PM EDT (US)     71 / 72       
it'd be really cool to see some of the god powers (lightning, meteor showers) at night.
Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 31 January 2002 09:58 PM EDT (US)     72 / 72       
A poll over at the pAOE forums went up about this topic. I encourage anyone that wants the day/night thing to be changed to vote in it. Maybe ES will reconsider when they see it. You can find the poll here
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames