You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Some Test Results- Ranged MU
Bottom
Topic Subject:Some Test Results- Ranged MU
Marclo40
Mortal
posted 25 July 2009 01:42 PM EDT (US)         
I was wondering if adding a couple of ranged myth units to an attacking army would make much of a difference, so I decided to do some testing

Test 1:
28 hoplites + 2 MU vs. 30 hoplites

Test 2:
10 hoplites, 10 hippikons, 8 toxotes + 2 MU vs. 10 hoplites, 10 hippikons, 10 toxotes

I chose classical greek units because they are the most basic units in the game

units tested: Wadjet, Centaur, Troll, Hammartroll, Satyr, Manticore, Petsuchos, Gemino Satyr, Medusa, Mummy, Fire Giant, Lampades

special care was taken and markers were used to ensure the units were perfectly lined up on both sides, the land was leveled and default formation was used. results were recorded in # of survivors

eg: #Hops, #Hips, #Tox survived

Test 1:

no MU- 4 enemy

Wadjet- 14
Centaur- 18
Troll- 13
HammarTroll- 16
Satyr- 13
Manticore- 16
Petsuchos- 17
Gemino Satyr- 15
Medusa- 14
Mummy- 17
Fire Giant- 20
Lampades- 12

As you can see, adding a couple ranged myth units can really make a difference, you really however want to stick to FG, Cents, Pets and mummies if facing infantry

Test 2:

No mu- 9enemy tox

Wadjet- 0,0,5
Centaur- 0,0,7
Troll- 0,0,7
HammarTroll- 0,0,6
Manticore- 0,0,7
Petsuchos- 4,1,8
Satyr- 0,0,4
Gemino Satyr- 0,0,8
Medusa- 1,0,8
Mummy- 5,3,8
Fire giant- 5,1,8
Lampades- 0,0,8

well, after seeing this result I would say that Pets, FG and Mummies are pretty closely matched, but for the price, I say the Pets win.
and about the atlantean stuff, there not bad, there HORRIBLE!
didn't Es play test this kind of stuff?

I hope you are more informed on the ranged MU of the game now
AuthorReplies:
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 25 July 2009 02:44 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9       

Flame Response

You are yet another beginner who believes he can lecture a player community that has existed for 8 years about the basic value of a couple units, and that believes that he understands the game better than its manufacturer after having played it for a couple days/weeks. You better assume some modesty in the future. That will prevent you from making such a fool out of yourself again.

Descriptive Response

It is a basic concept of this game that MU > non-hero human units as a rule of thumb. It is only a logical consequence that an army with MU > an army with neither MU nor heroes. Generally, you have a rock/paper/scissors game of the form MU > non-hero human unit > hero > MU. (Note that there are exceptions to this rule, like there are exceptions to almost all rules in AoM.)

Also, you fail to take pop or resource cost into consideration, setting 1 MU equal to 1 hoplite even though most MU cost multiple the resources and pop cost. This makes your "test" even more ridiculous.

The test result of your "Test 2" is not really understandable. Just a list of random numbers with no apparent meaning.

And as for Atlantean MU, you fail to notice that they are not only weaker than the others (in average), but also cost less resources. The races are different, which includes that they have different strengths and weaknesses. Welcome to AoM.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
henk14
Mortal
posted 25 July 2009 02:48 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
With this test you've only tested the attack of MU. You haven't considered speed, hitpoints, armor, price and age of availability. Also you had not added heroes. Offcourse MU>>human units, but heroes kill MU fast, so MU are way less effective than you show in this test.

I'm not exactly sure what this test proves, offcourse adding 2 MU to your army is not a bad thing. But I really can't figure out what you ment to point out.

/-\ () |\/||-| Rules!
Respect the Moderators Authority.
ABallIsDropped
Mortal
posted 25 July 2009 03:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
there not bad, there HORRIBLE!
they're*

one of the funniest threads i've seen in a while
HailToTheOboe
Bitten by a radioactive ostrich
posted 25 July 2009 03:09 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
But I really can't figure out what you ment to point out.
The ever-elusive fact that adding 2 fire giants to your army is stronger than adding 2 wadjets.

I, for one, am grateful for this illuminating discovery.
Nirwanda
Mortal
posted 25 July 2009 03:22 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
I don't know about you guys, but I will certainly start training ranged myth units after reading this thread.

Thank you, Marclo40, for opening my eyes to an aspect of the game I have been blind to as of yet.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Gandalf - JRR Tolkein. The Fellowship of the Ring
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 25 July 2009 07:51 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9       
LOL. The only thing that I keep wondering is whether this whole thread is just a flame bait.

Marclo40
Mortal
posted 25 July 2009 08:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
this isn't flamebait
The test was just to see which one was the most efficient support unit, in terms of fighting ability.
I agree when you argue that I must take other factors into consideration, but if that's the case- Pets win lol

I just thought I should share my results for people who are interested
henk14
Mortal
posted 26 July 2009 05:40 AM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
I agree when you argue that I must take other factors into consideration, but if that's the case- Pets win lol
Pets are good, but I'm not sure if you can call 'em the best. They're very slow... but yes, good attack and relatively cheap compared to other heroic myth units.

/-\ () |\/||-| Rules!
Respect the Moderators Authority.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 26 July 2009 07:01 AM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
Pets have awesome range and firepower, imbalanced actually IMHO, but what makes them really good is the combination with a roc. Rocless pets are pretty easy to take out with heroes due to their slow speed.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames