You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Got any tips so I can win..?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Got any tips so I can win..?
Campaigner
Mortal
posted 12 February 2010 05:02 PM EDT (US)         
Playing against my friend who is NOT a seasoned gamer (doesn't use hotkeys so much and insists on wanting the map revealed....) and he wants a moderate A.I on his side....but the problem is he's getting better and I can't attack since I just get attacked by him or the A.I....and I have never lost when he have an Easy A.I as ally.

Gave him the builder A.I as ally but I still bite the dust...damn Egyptians and their free towerupgrade....

I need scouting tips. I don't scout enough but it's hard to do in this game since the LOS is so friggin small! And the Norse are the worst I've ever seen in terms of scouting....got no way to scout like the other races do....(and I'm Nordic so I like them )

Tried giving the moderate A.I different personalities but protector and Builder is too much...can't penetrate their defenses....and when I do, my friend attacks me....urgh....

I also always got a serious lack of food since I'm afraid to get out of my base since I can't afford to lose the workers.....I also float quite alot of resources but I'm working on that....got 10 games for you to look at....the first 5 or so I win. The rest is a bit mixed.

Just had a game against him with his A.I ally on Easy. Won again ofcourse ^^

Here's some replays of our games: Download Campaigner vs Lubomir.7z from FileFactory.com

Sun goes up, sun goes down, i always win! Logical actions in a logical world.
AuthorReplies:
BlackenedJack
Mortal
posted 12 February 2010 05:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
Lack of food -> Farm? Just wondering why you dont you make a strat that allows you to keep up in food production via farming. Just age relatively fast and get the farm ups.

As far as scouting goes I cannot help you much. My only advice is set waypoints (Shift + Click) so you can let your ulfsark do his job and you dont have to micro him unless you need a house.

Lastly, if your friends ally is a defensive A.I why dont you build up, race your friend to mythic*, and fw/rag him and his ally. There are many good Norse stratedgies besides this one, including the infamous Loki Rush, that will make short work of your friends base.

*You said he was Eggy, so if he hits Heroic you will be in for a difficult game.

J♣ + A♠ = Me
Chimaira
Mortal
posted 12 February 2010 05:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Norse has the second best scouting in the game.

Why are you complaining about scouting when you have the map revealed?
buppy
Mortal
(id: pubby8)
posted 12 February 2010 05:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Watching...

Game 1:
You should put the first 2 citizens to food. You had some gaps between training because you didn't have enough food. Don't get husbandry with atty unless you're on a map like oasis.

You also wasted tons of units. Don't send murmillo in against turma. They have barely any pierce armor. Hell, don't even get murmillo when he is massing turma and not cavalry.

You heroized too many soldiers. Only do it when you have to have to fight myth (you only need like 2) and otherwise spend favor on myth units.

Finally, you didn't use gaia forest. You should cast it in the beginning because you chop faster from gaia trees. I don't see a point in saving it.

Game 7:
You went to wood too fast again. Get like 6 villies on food at the start. You had like 4 idles villies for over a minute. You advanced a minute too late. You should have cast ceasefire when you were getting your ass whoped around 9:00. You also wasted tons of res+pop by building your houses as a wall. Why did you stop training villies? You had like 20 and stopped for most of the game. Put them on auto-queue so they don't stop training.

Don't let your archers be attacked directly by infantry. You should send in hoplites to act as meatshield.

Also, 3 villies on gold is NOT enough. Gold is the most used resource.

Gonna cut it off at 30:00
Games lasting too long
Campaigner
Mortal
posted 12 February 2010 07:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
BlackenedJack

The A.I was Egyptians. He never plays them and never will.
I thought I needed to rush and cripple one of'em instead of turtling til Mythig Age. Don't know what fw/rag stands for. I'll try look it up here.

I've tried to rush with Loki but for some reason I never manage too....I should build the temple and longhouse near the enemies base but should I choose Heimdal then so I can smash down his buildings? Though Forseti seems vital for Loki due to Hall of Thanes.

Chimaira

I mean active scouting. I need to see as much of the map as possible all the time but the Norse are the only race I don't see a way to do that with. It's the fog of war that's the problem and the Norse are the worst for keepting tabs on the enemy AFAIK. Sure, Lokis Spy power can be superb and his eyes in the forest upgrade is nice but the other races can have permanent scouting at most places.

Greek have pegasus.
Egyptians have obelisks and lighthouse.
Atlanteans have Oracles and possibly the flying mythunits.
Norse have....Ulfsark in the beginning and fast cavalry.

I've been thinking of building small walls everywhere and hope that the LOS upgrades are enough.

pubby8

Turma got 5% hackarmor and Murmillo are quite fast. Turmas got poor damage against non-archers and Murmillos have good hackdamage so it seems they are costeffective vs Turmas if the Turmas aren't micromanaged.

I forgot about the gaiatrees being faster to gather.

I should have asked what you thought about specific games since I don't really remember all of them....

Thanks for your help people =)

Sun goes up, sun goes down, i always win! Logical actions in a logical world.
buppy
Mortal
posted 12 February 2010 09:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Murmillo deal around 11 damage to turma.
Turma deal around 4 damage to murmillo.

Murmillo do counter turma quite well, my mistake.
buppy
Mortal
posted 14 February 2010 02:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
Watched Rec 9:

I play ra 100% so:

*Be in classy at around 6:00
*Hunt is better then berries/chicken
*Don't get husbandry so early
*You don't get more villies by empowering TC
*Pharoah gets you 25% more res when he empowers dropsites. BETTER USE OF HIM THEN GETTING SHITTY RELICS
*10 mercs is too many to attack 5 guys.
*Don't stop villie production after classical.
*If you have 2 TC's but not full pop you might as well train villies from each of them
sdw12umdjc
Mortal
posted 14 February 2010 02:50 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
If you are playing as Loki then I'd suggest going Forsetti and raiding with HoT Hersir. Retreat myth that are spawned until you have 3-4 and then attack strong against the AI. Spam walls around your home base.

Confucious says, "Man who jump through screen door likely to strain himself."
AoL_Iron_maiden
Mortal
posted 15 February 2010 02:03 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
here is a suggestion for you man

choose 1 god, (since you like norse, go thor or loki)
-become around 17+ with that god alone
-find a guide on one of those gods to help you out
-if you're thor, you use 2 ulfs on most maps to scout during archaic age
-as norse it's VITAL to go outside your base and hunt as much as possible

also, do u play aom or titans?
HailToTheOboe
Bitten by a radioactive ostrich
posted 15 February 2010 02:18 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
I've been thinking of building small walls everywhere and hope that the LOS upgrades are enough.
Early on while scouting, you can place your house at a gold mine / TC / hunting spot that you think you want to keep an eye on.

Take advantage of your infantry build, don't just build wall connectors for LOS (you can do that too, I'll often chink a hunt location) but build real walls in any choke point you can around the map to restrict enemy movement, and give you advance warning every time he does move.

Keeping an ulf or raider roving the map is never a bad idea. Leaving 1 or 2 raiders on the most likely spot where your enemy will expand (2nd gold mine for example).

Often you don't need to actually SEE your enemy's units to know where they'll be. Just put yourself in his shoes and think. If you've scouted the area once to reveal the TCs, gold mines, and hunt, you can very often guess where he'll be gathering, and where he'll be expanding (and when he'll be expanding).

[This message has been edited by HailToTheOboe (edited 02-15-2010 @ 02:25 PM).]

AoL_Iron_maiden
Mortal
posted 15 February 2010 05:59 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
for hunt, you can click on the units not in your line of site
and see if they are being hunted or not
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames