You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » I am always 1 step behind in settlers.
Bottom
Topic Subject:I am always 1 step behind in settlers.
hang881
Mortal
posted 15 February 2010 12:29 PM EDT (US)         
Hi, i play 3v3 settlers quite often on the 1st AOM and i usually fall really behind in the game. This is what i usually do approx.:

APPROX. TIME/Minutes (Zeus)
0.00-Game starts,
0.05-Load villages and ulfsarks into the transport boat and head off.
0.40-Find a suitable settlement
1.40-Complete building TC
1.50-4 Vills on wood rest on Gold, Ulfsark starts building Docks and Temple. Training most Vills as can (Non-stop). Sending them on a ratio of 2 Gold:3 Wood
3.20-Finish building D. and T.
3.21-Training most Fishing boats as can. Ulfsark builds wall.
3.50-Stop training Vills,
4.30-Advance to Classical, Resource Gathering Upgrades
5.45-Advanced to Classical, Naval attack on my fishing boats, Start building 2 Military Accademys with 1 or 2 Vill(s).
5.50-Send all Fishing Boats back to give in the Food
6.30-All Fishing boats and Front Dock Destoyed, Finish building Accademy, Train Hoplites.
8.00- About 8 Hoplites trained and then....

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Then basically my whole Town gets trashed by a lot of units. I would be grateful if anyone can help me out on this it is really annoying. That usually happens and i have to build a new TC then... You get the idea.

Many Thanks.

SCREW MICROSOFT for shutting down Esemble Studios!
AuthorReplies:
Sam_Ham
Mortal
posted 15 February 2010 01:24 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
tell tales of evil bad wolves.
Because if there is nothing to fear,
they might think for themselves.
L33TSkillz
Mortal
posted 15 February 2010 01:28 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
make army+navy sooner.
THYMOLE
Mortal
posted 15 February 2010 06:57 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
Sounds like you're managing your resources poorly

I'm guessing you have too much wood and not enough food and gold

you don't need to manually send ships back to get food, and if you only have one dock you're probably jamming some together

don't play settlers, play sup
Peter Fallon
Mortal
(id: Xzyiothe)
posted 15 February 2010 07:20 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
You're one step behind by playing settlers.

☭ Long live the Turk ☭
"Xzy is the worst parts of kman and legion combined, only with proper spelling so you know he's smart enough to act otherwise if he wasn't such an idiot." - theferret
"Xzy is like all of the terrible Guardian contributors rolled into one person. Proof that you can genetically engineer a humanoid abomination." - Fiindil
Mr Martel
Mortal
posted 15 February 2010 08:02 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
To quote God Ham:
Well as you can see no-one here likes settlers so I think it's best if you leave. Arguing for settlers here is much like trying to tame a Tsunami with a frying pan.
Hammerhands
Mortal
posted 15 February 2010 11:09 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
Towers do an incredible amount of bonus damage to boats. But if they don't have crenelations they may not be able to hit a moving one. Try putting a pair of them next to your dock. If you find a bay, build there, dock in the bay, towers guarding it. It's historical strategy; Bays are easily defended.
Husker
Mortal
posted 16 February 2010 06:40 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
Well as zeus you only need 1-3 villagers on gold, 3 if you are gonna navy asap, or 1/none if you are gonna boom a bit for a fh or whatever.

With greek or eggy you need to advance asap because they rely heavily on food, and can't fall back on dwarves to keep tc busy and get a good advance time.

^ That means build a temple right away while building tc. Sometimes use 2 vils to help navy rush.

-To help in land battles make cavalry, 99% of the players only do a hypaspists/peltast combo so a few cavalry units really help.

But why bash this kid for settlers?

If you guys want to draw attention to yourselves and flame settlers, go make a new topic or something. This kid needs help playing the game, not wise-ass comments or brown nosing. Besides, hes only playing the game which is 70% of AoM right now?

Not the victory but the action;
Not the goal but the game;
In the deed the glory

[This message has been edited by Husker (edited 02-16-2010 @ 06:40 PM).]

AoL_Iron_maiden
Mortal
posted 16 February 2010 07:18 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
watch settlers recs xD

if there is such a thing LOL
hang881
Mortal
posted 17 February 2010 11:52 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
Thanks Husker, i took your advice and advanced ASAP, this gave me an advantage over those which can't train Triemes because they're in the Archaic so i just trashed their TC before they even got Classical. I'm actually starting to improve now. Thanks :P

SCREW MICROSOFT for shutting down Esemble Studios!
Husker
Mortal
posted 17 February 2010 06:10 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
No problem, feel free to post other questions if you got any.

In the deed the glory
rideofthevalkyri
Mortal
posted 17 February 2010 06:24 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
hi, all your questions should be answered by this settlers guide i wrote a while back. http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,28223,0,20

it will teach u how to rush etc

but tbh the most important thing to learn is to just make a constant amount of fishing boats and vils.

try going to islands and getting 30-35 boats by like 6 minute flat or if your Egyptian 40-45 boats by 6 min flat.

also find out which hot key is the idle villager one. use this when the game screen is loading, so when it does load first thing u see are you're vils. then once half you're vils are in the boat, set the boat away from the shore so it will have speed just as your last vils get in.

believe me this will give u a good extra 1-3 second head start so you can have first choice of spots XD

hang mate there are some really good settler players out there, a quarter of which i probably taught in some way. don't be afraid to ask them "hey how did you do that, can u give me some tips?" and if they are standoffish just say scuba sent you and would really appreciate if you helped me.

oh hi husker nice to see you are still playing. but u should try 4 gold for Greek no matter what. pulling off a 540 fh with 4 on gold is just so much easier.

[This message has been edited by rideofthevalkyri (edited 02-17-2010 @ 09:21 PM).]

Husker
Mortal
posted 18 February 2010 02:30 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
Not 4 on gold right away, you are wasting time.

If you are gonna fh-

Get the wood first with all vils, then switch vils to gold. Then you will have lots of food to spam mino's and will be able to get 5-5:20 herioc. Stronger eco than the 4 on gold + you get all eco upgrades.

In the deed the glory
AoL_Iron_maiden
Mortal
posted 18 February 2010 05:51 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
haha, a settlers guide LOL!!!

thats so cool man!

give him some settlers recs too xD

(i dunno why but settlers recs just cracks me up xD)
Husker
Mortal
posted 18 February 2010 07:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
I didn't know there were settlers recs, unless like a youtube video or something?

In the deed the glory
AoL_Iron_maiden
Mortal
posted 19 February 2010 07:35 PM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
are there settlers recs?
i dont know if it records them

it would just be funny, cuz on agesanc you got thousands of sup recs, and all the
experts post their bull shit games, blablabla, then you
got people who are weird and liek to watch other people play aom who download games and
learn from them and all that junk hahaha

it would just be funny for settlers players to put so much emphasis on recorded games as sup players do

now that i spent so long explaining it, it's lost a bit of it's humor to me

nice husky wusky, nice
rideofthevalkyri
Mortal
posted 19 February 2010 09:57 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
husker we talking about FAIR_SETTLERS3VS3 righ. because i guess on a map where u get 1k gold its possible, but on normal map that wouldn't work or would be stupid. and if this does work on normal map you won't be afraid to post bo

btw iron people who are good at settler from what i can remember, didn't like to use fraps or whatever to record their games, because they didn't want people finding out their bo

[This message has been edited by rideofthevalkyri (edited 02-19-2010 @ 10:02 PM).]

Husker
Mortal
posted 19 February 2010 10:11 PM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
Except it is possible cuz I've done it before? Of course on the normal map....

And I wouldn't care if someone watched my recs, who knows maybe they learn something. Would just make the competition better, which means better players and better games.

I don't use BO's but the outline is simple, take top fish get 30 fish ships at 4 min mark, + more spamming out from island with 1 dock, and switch 6-7 vils on gold and gg? Fastest was 5 20 with handaxe and pickaxe before advance and the rest after I started advancing. So IF you really wanted to rush, you could forgo eco ups.....

In the deed the glory

[This message has been edited by Husker (edited 02-19-2010 @ 10:20 PM).]

rideofthevalkyri
Mortal
posted 19 February 2010 10:27 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
ah so you have to switch vils lol. so when u reach heroic at 5 20 u have 7 vils gold and how many on wood? I'm guessing 7-8 wood? from what I'm hearing your trying to do something similar to AoK_pred's 5 10 cept slower. trust me my 5:40 is way better. perfect balance between eco and time = op uw rush
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames