You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » What are the best hotkeys?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What are the best hotkeys?
buppy
Mortal
(id: pubby8)
posted 20 February 2010 11:11 PM EDT (US)         
What are the most usefull hotkeys to use? I have mapped things such as garrison and creating unit groups, but that's about it.

What to use?
AuthorReplies:
Mr Martel
Mortal
posted 20 February 2010 11:45 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
I messed around with a garrison hotkey for months with Mythic Freak but something never worked with it (I think it was in both the user.con and the gamex.con or something so there was interference). I basically just use alt + right click now which works just fine.

Ok, that aside: I use hotkeys for just about everything. Every building has a hotkey. Every unit has a hotkey (I use A for the first unit in every buildings, S for the second, D for the third, F for the fourth, and Z and X for odd units [like siege in a Greek fortress], and I have MUs mapped out to that same standard hotkey configuration as well. Aside from that, only Markets have caravans on X (because my hotkey for a Market is also X) and vills, dwarves, and ox carts are mapped as v, b, and x respectively (not 100% sure on ox cart, might be c, once you get used to them, u just know them in your mind, but not really know what they are 11).

Also, I have stances set for hotkeys too as this saves a lot of tedious work that I'd rather not do manually.

Age up, some godpowers, and autoqueue also have a hotkey as i cba to click that green button every time for that 11
AoL_Iron_maiden
Mortal
posted 20 February 2010 11:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
imo the default hotkeys are the best
then number buildings with 2-5 or 6 or however many u want

you can't reach all the keys, like its hard to reach 'u' for ulfsark

but i think if you have too many hotkeys you're trying to push, it might be too many and you might start pushing

the wrong ones

also if you have too many, it would take a longer time to get used to playing naturally with them :P
HailToTheOboe
Bitten by a radioactive ostrich
posted 20 February 2010 11:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
By default the buildings are a single letter to build and ctrl+letter to select, so I flipped those for all buildings except drop sites, farms, walls, and towers. Because I select buildings more often than I build them.

I set idle vill to space, idle military to tab, idle scout to ~, and train units with QWER (in order across screen) similar to Marty.
That way I can have my left hand sitting on the keyboard and get to all those keys that I use the most.

Plus I've got a few custom ones for things like guard, patrol, GPs.
HailToTheViper
Mortal
posted 21 February 2010 00:16 AM EDT (US)     4 / 20       
i just use the defualt ones. Most letters for building, cntrl +letter to select, sometimes the grouping numbers for raiding parties.

Roc....rock :P
Chimaira
Mortal
posted 21 February 2010 00:43 AM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
Mine is similar to Oboe's with space for idle villagers, and ASDF for military units.
Eddy_Current
Mortal
posted 21 February 2010 08:49 AM EDT (US)     6 / 20       
Pubby, I'm pretty sure your best hotkeys must be something like shift+c, shift+v.

Sorry for offtopic, but how do you report oosers (like pubby8) on this forum? I've 2 recs + screenshots
Mr Martel
Mortal
posted 21 February 2010 10:37 AM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
pwnt, and I believe you mean Shift + F2 Geeft
buppy
Mortal
posted 21 February 2010 02:23 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20       
Pubby, I'm pretty sure your best hotkeys must be something like shift+c, shift+v.

Sorry for offtopic, but how do you report oosers (like pubby8) on this forum? I've 2 recs + screenshots
When the game started and you said you were a 1600 smruf and gave me an 11 or something, I tried to save. When you didn't save and killed me, I OOS'd. Anyway, I got you in another rated game after this, and of course same thing happens. You wouldn't save, saying that if I OOS'd this game that you would report me or something. I OOS'd. Of course, you decided to spam me the next 2 games rated games I played with something like "STUPID OOS NOOB GO **** YOURSELF" causing me to resign in both and make my rating go down to 1500.

Anyway, OOS doesn't hurt your rating. Smurfing doesn't hurt your rating, but it does hurt everyone you had to step on to get back up to your pro spot. You can tell me that I oos'd you because I was losing, but then again, I feel no shame in exploiting the system when you do too. I just want to point out that I only OOS against people who ADMIT they are hackers or smurfs. If you want to smurf and spam me down to 1500, then I might as well OOS to keep you from having such pleasures as pwning noobs.

Sorry I took 1 minute out of your life to restart your game.
Mr Martel
Mortal
posted 21 February 2010 02:37 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
I actually agree with you but I believe HeavenGames does not. However, we have another forumer here that is allowed to stay under practically the same conditions so best of luck bud.
Mythic_Freak
Mortal
posted 21 February 2010 04:19 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20       
- ASDFG: units
- (mostly) default keys for building stuff
- QWERT: find barracks/archery/stable/fort/temple
- ZXCV: find TC/granary/mining/lumber
- HJKL: find dock/armory/market/tower
- ctrl-[default key] for searching any building I missed
- space: idle eco
- control-space: idle vills
- alt-space: idle fish
- shift-space: idle caravan
- punctuations: other idle stuff (military, scout, herdables, flying)
- backspace: stop selected units
- [: transform to ulf/gate
- tab: AQ
- y: advance
- i: timeshift
- o: eject
- alt-QWER: line, box, mixed, spread formation
- alt-ASD: agressive/defesive/passive stance
- alt-select: easy military drag select

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? - Einstein, A.
Master XS - AoM Code Reference - Trigger Loader - Trigger Requests - Chess

Wow, I never thought that I would actually know something before nottud did... it's actually not all that satisfying ~ Steak

[This message has been edited by Mythic_Freak (edited 02-21-2010 @ 04:21 PM).]

Mr Martel
Mortal
posted 21 February 2010 05:35 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
Oh, forgot to mention I use Mouse3 for idle vills.

I can't seem to get my wall to gate hotkey to work =\
Husker
Mortal
posted 21 February 2010 09:50 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20       
Pubby if you care so much about your rating, just find a friend. Ask him to make a smurf account and then give you points till you are back to your previous level before you got smurfed.

Obviously it sounds like Eddy_Current was being a d-bag about it, but don't OOS. :/ You don't want that to follow you, just look at the KpN's...

My advice on the hotkeys is that, no offense to you, but at the 1600 level I think you could be focusing on more important things than specific hotkeys.

Obviously ones like period and comma are very useful for idle vils and military. But honestly I think that is all you need at your point in the game. That is all I use for hotkeys, and I can get 17+ easily and play around the 1700-1750 level.

This is just my advice, and could be totally wrong if you are one of those Korean guys that can 100 things at once. I find that hotkeys can help, but this is how I see it:

hotkeys < micro < Military Army < Economy

I just think that you are doing too much too early. Maybe its just me, but trying to remember more than 5 hotkeys makes my head spin, 11. And like I said earlier, hotkeys are not necessary to play well. When you pull them off correctly you can compliment your game nicely, yet it can be a detriment to your play if you pull it off badly.

Not the victory but the action;
Not the goal but the game;
In the deed the glory

[This message has been edited by Husker (edited 02-21-2010 @ 09:53 PM).]

HailToTheOboe
Bitten by a radioactive ostrich
posted 22 February 2010 08:29 AM EDT (US)     13 / 20       
When you pull them off correctly you can compliment your game nicely, yet it can be a detriment to your play if you pull it off badly.
Yeah, I leave the training wheels on my bike too, so I never fall.
Husker
Mortal
posted 22 February 2010 09:23 AM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
Meh, you're just mad USA beat Canada : D

But sowhat if I drive 5 mph on the interstate?? lol

Another hotkey combo is H + V. Good for keeping tc busy, but it takes you back to look at tc. :/

In the deed the glory

[This message has been edited by Husker (edited 02-22-2010 @ 01:45 PM).]

buppy
Mortal
posted 22 February 2010 04:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20       
Ask him to make a smurf account and then give you points till you are back to your previous level before you got smurfed.
Isn't that worse then just OOS'ing and tieing the game? I mean I would actually call that cheating.

Anyway I unmapped all the find and build commands. I don't use them. I now have q,w (un)garrison, e empower, r repair, 1234567 ETC trains units, ` and tab creates group 1.
Husker
Mortal
posted 22 February 2010 05:27 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
You would call point trading cheating, but not OOS? Granted neither is respectable.

But think about it, you complain about a smurf at 1600 level. What if the kid joined a new clan with a certain rate requirement so he had to play rated from 1600 up?

Would you rather play him and lose your points?

Or that the guy get points from a friend, so you would not have to play against someone not at your rating?

In the deed the glory
buppy
Mortal
posted 22 February 2010 05:34 PM EDT (US)     17 / 20       
It's pretty obvious to tell someone in a new clan then a plain old smurf. It's also obvious if they flat-out tell you they're a smurf. It's even more obvious when their account goes inactive 2 days later.
Husker
Mortal
posted 22 February 2010 06:14 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
Well, smurfing is a part of the game so you just got to deal with it and move on.

You can't a judge though, and administer the way you see fit. If I get map hacked or resign hacked, guess what? Sucks to be me. But does this give me the right to say, "He hacked me, so I can hack him." No, because then it would set of a chain of mass hacking to get so-and-so back.

You are playing by the policy of an eye for an eye. Unfortunately for you, it's outdated by a couple hundred years. :P

Just improve and own him next time, and then see how many times he tries to smurf you.

In the deed the glory
AoL_Iron_maiden
Mortal
posted 22 February 2010 07:55 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20       
oos is cheating

you're known as a cheater now

if you know how to oos, and everyone knows that you know how, how the hell
do you expect to get a game and improve man?

best solution: forget how to oos. getting smurfed a few times isn't as
bad as killing your reputation, cuz that will ruin the game for you
VB_WhiplashJC
Mortal
posted 22 February 2010 09:54 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20       
Grow some balls and take the loss, maybe even have a look at the rec and you might learn something.

Good riddance.

www.vbclan.net - Aussie/Kiwi AoT and AoE3 clan
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames