You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 3 civs
posted 21 February 2002 05:27 PM EDT (US)   
Hi I am new to the AoM forum...

Browsing threw these pages it surprised me how only three civs will be implemented in the game...
The more the merrier right?

Ya ya there probably will be an expansion, but still I find 3 too little I wouldn't mind a 4th

ps: at least it's cool to see that they didn't have that "many"(=few) gaia-animals.

Replies:
posted 21 February 2002 05:36 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15  
Actually, there is more like 72 different civs and there is 3 cultures. Think of cultures as art sets.
posted 21 February 2002 05:45 PM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
yes, but of the "72" are almost identical to 2 or 3 others.

Example:

Zeus->Apollo->Athena->hera
Zeus->Apollo->Ares>hera
Zeus->Apollo->Aphrodite->hera

these 3 are all onlt different by 1 minor god, im not sure if these gods are the right ones, but you get my point, these configurations are very similar.

posted 21 February 2002 06:45 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
Quality over Quantity.

Thats all I say.

posted 21 February 2002 06:57 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
Age of Mythology has 3 cultures, but within each culture are innumerable factions. You choose before the game starts your primary god to worship; this is essentially much like choosing a civilisation, since that god gives you bonuses. Each time you advance an age, you can choose from one of two minor deities which will give you more bonuses, and access to new mythological units and technologies.

All in all, you can have up to 72 different choices for which gods you play. Every one of these choices would have different bonuses and tech trees.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
posted 21 February 2002 07:28 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15  
The three different pantheons also play much more differently than the civs in AOK did.

You won't believe how many animals we have. We may not use all of them on standard random maps, but there are still lots in there for scenarios.

posted 21 February 2002 07:55 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15  
"Quality over Quantity"
I will have to aggree on that one though...

"72 different choices for which gods you play. Every one of these choices would have different bonuses and tech trees"

Yeah but i get the feeling those wouldn't differ significantly(then again I could be wrong).

"We may not use all of them on standard random maps, but there are still lots in there for scenarios."

Yes I noticed that there probably would be lesser "objects" available in the Random Maps. I was kind of wondering why that decision was made. For example I was looking forward to having the game swith between night and day, yet I understood that this wouldn't make it either in the Random Map. A comment about that was made earlier on; something about not knowing weather the fans would like it or not. Which also was followed by a smart remark; about an option that would enable u to choose.

posted 22 February 2002 00:58 AM EDT (US)     7 / 15  
You won't believe how many animals we have. We may not use all of them on standard random maps, but there are still lots in there for scenarios.

What does this have to do with civs?

oh yes and whatever ES does with civs will be fine with me

posted 22 February 2002 01:12 AM EDT (US)     8 / 15  
"Actually, there is more like 72 different civs and there is 3 cultures."

Thats wrong because there are 3 'cultures(Greek,Norse,Egyptian) but there are 3 CIVILIZATIONS per culture thus making it 9 civilizations.Having a different diety doesent make you a different civilization,it just gives you different MUs.I know I am right because I checked this out last night through PlanetAoe.com

posted 22 February 2002 02:06 AM EDT (US)     9 / 15  
dude: check the last line of the orginal post, he mentions something about animals

Fokker: it's an exangeration, or a perspective; based on the Minor diety choices you are given as you 'age;' it's not just MU's (check below, based on the Gamespot showcase)

Evil: Simliar by how? they all start with 'A'? (I'm picking up a 'dislike' of this, so if that's not your intent ignore this)

They may do many different things. For instence each choice determens if you get a certain GP or not, a certain MU or not, and a certain bonus to something or not. Thats 3 possiblites to choosing a Minor diety over the other. (Fokker: 6 minor dieties per one major diety (9 major), the combinations come out to 72)

They only way i see a similar choice is if you are going for 'all infantry bonuses'... there the only simularity is that they help infantry...

... sorry for the Rant...

Zone: GNon42 ESO: GNon
AOM MPT Tester VIP \\\\ !TEAL! ////
"Beware of the Shadows, they move when you're not looking."
" See. "

[This message has been edited by GNon (edited 02-22-2002 @ 02:12 AM).]

posted 22 February 2002 07:46 AM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
Hmmmm..... if now they would change it to 4 civs...I really don't know if I'd like it.

It's ok so, and these three civs and their differencies are great, and I'm sure there'll be an x-pack!

Hmmm...how about a RMS which is always at night?
dunno why I wrote it here

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
posted 22 February 2002 07:52 AM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
The whole 3 cultures thing seems to be the subject of gross misinterpretation here.

Quote:

Thats wrong because there are 3 'cultures(Greek,Norse,Egyptian) but there are 3 CIVILIZATIONS per culture thus making it 9 civilizations.Having a different diety doesent make you a different civilization,it just gives you different MUs.I know I am right because I checked this out last night through PlanetAoe.com

Deities afford tech tree elements, MU's, god powers and bonuses. Not just MU's. There are 36 minor deities, plus the 9 major deities.

More detail if you want it.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
posted 22 February 2002 05:39 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15  
Wait...
You arent following me.Say there is a Greek civilization and they are athenian(example) and lets say they are playing another civilization that are also athenians.Then the first team chooses a different diety then the second team.Does that make team number one a different civilization then team number two??NO!If they choose a different diety all they get that is different is the tech trees,MUs etc but that doesent make them a completely different civilization.3 Cultures,9 Civilizations.There are 72 different combinations but not civilizations.Only 9 civilizations.And I noticed the title of this post '3 civs'
and I thought that the person who started it must not know his/her facts very well.
posted 23 February 2002 04:42 AM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
And you aren't following him: The minor dieties give you also bonuses, and bonuses make civs.

open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
posted 25 February 2002 02:00 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15  
There are 9 civilizations. That is the easiest way to think about it. When you start the game, you pick from 1 of 9.

When we talk about how there are 3 cultures or pantheons, people just get confused, but the way it works is that 3 of the civs are Greek, 3 are Egyptian, and 3 are Norse. Being Greek implies a certain play style and units available, but picking Poseidon over Zeus does the same thing at a finer level. In AOK, Persians, Saracens, Byzantine and Turks all shared an art set. It works the same way in AOM, except that civs that share an art set also share the way they gather Favor, scout, counter certain strategies, etc.

There are 9 civilizations, and each one can choose between 2 different second, 2 different third and 2 different fourth ages. Those choices determine which God Power, Myth Unit and Myth Improvements are available to you.

posted 25 February 2002 02:11 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15  
There are 9 civilizations, and each one can choose between 2 different second, 2 different third and 2 different fourth ages
endquote

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » 3 civs
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames