You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.69 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Filling in the gaps, an AoMH forumers project you can contribute to
Bottom
Topic Subject:Filling in the gaps, an AoMH forumers project you can contribute to
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 06:58 AM EDT (US)         

After the gamespot showcase and the recent ES Zeus details page, we have a bit more bearing on how the game works. Every deity, major and minor, has a Myth unit attached to them. It's even possible that some have two Myth units, perhaps. [Though I admit, I doubt it.] But so far, we have a lot of gaps in things. So here I've put together a compilation of ideas to try and - you guessed it - fill in the gaps.

There are 12 minor deities per culture, plus the 9 base gods. So that makes for at least 45 Myth Units, unless of course I have made one my characteristic gross misunderstandings. Below are my ideas for the connection between gods and their myth units, and a few suggestion for what myth units might as yet be unrevealed. What I want to do is get opinions from everyone on this, so we can create a user-made knowledge base of realistic predictions about the game. And we can probably see over time whether some of these predictions are accurate with the gamespot showcases. [Few and far between as they are.]

Try and ignore my bad table layout.

Feel free to make additions as you wish - although I will be away between the 26th and 2nd, so I may not be able to update your suggestion during this time!.

Norse units

Mythological Unit Deity
Reasoning
Raven Odin
Odin had two Ravens, Hugin and Munin who would fly around the nine worlds each day to gather information for Odin.
Valkyrie Odin/Freya

Valkyries gathered the valiant slain for Odin, to feast with him in valhalla Freya would split half the dead warriors from a battle with Odin

Gullinbursti Frey
Frey's chariot was pulled by two great boars, one of which was Gullinbursti
Troll ?
No idea
Mountain Giant ?
Giants hated the Aesir [the gods]...so it's kind of hard to see how they relate
Fire Giant Loki? Surt?
Loki was half fire-giant, Surt was ruler of Muspellheim [technically not one of the Aesir, but arguably a god nonetheless]
Frost Giant Heimdall? Skadi?
Heimdall was charged with guarding bifrost - the bridge to Asgard - from the frost giants. Skadi represented the destruction of winter
Kraken Aegir?
Aegir = god of the sea
Undead Warrior ?
No bloody idea
Deer-man-thingy ?
I have a strong suspicion this guy was cut
Possible additions
Ulfr Frigg
Nidhogg Thor?
Fenris Wolf Tyr
Tyr was the only god brave enough to tend the wolf
Elf Frey
Frey ruled over Alvenheim, the domain of the light elves
Garm Hel
Garm = Hel's hound
The Midgard Serpent Hel?

Greek Units
Mythological Unit
Deity
Reasoning
Pegasus
Zeus
Pegasus is also widely known to of carried Zeus' thunderbolts.
Manticore

Apollo

Gamespot showcase confirms

Collosus
Hephaestus
Hephaestus was a lame god whose skills were as a craftsman and smith...and the collosus was in fact a great statue. Possible?
Medusa
Hera
Gamespot showcase confirms [Although I really don't see the relation between Hera and Medusa...]
Minotaur
Athena
Gamespot showcase confirms
Cyclops
?
The CGM article said the Cyclops was available early. Not very helpful though.
Hydra
Demeter?
Centaur
Dionysus
Centaurs worshipped the god of wine
Chimera
Persephone?
Griffin
Artemis
Wild animals were the domain of Artemis
Nemean Lion
?
Possible additions
Cerberus
Hades
Hades ruled the underworld...cerberus guarded the way to the underworld
Satyr
Pan
Pan was a Satyr, or something...forget what
Sphinx
?
Probably won't be included to prevent confusion with the better known Egyptian ansrosphinx
Basilisk
?
Probably too similiar in its unique abilities to the Medusa to be included
Scylla
Poseidon?
Sea monster with 6 mouths...or heads...or something
Siren/Harpy
Aphrodite?

Egyptian Units
Phoenix
Ra
Phoenix is associated with the sun, which is associated with Ra
Scarab
Sekhmet
Ra showcase confirms.
Anubite
Anubis
Well DUH.
Apep
Set?
Set = evil guy. More likely that Apep is with a minor deity associated with Ra, though.
Wadjet
Ptah
Ra showcase confirms
Sphinx
Bast?
Cat/Lion goddess
Mummy
Thoth
Thoth was the god of learning who first knew the process of mummification, and taught it to Isis
Scorpion (Serfet)
Osris
The serfet is an Egyptian creature with the head of a hawk, the body of a lion, and wings. It was the keeper of Osiris' body parts.
Roc
Maat?
Winged deity
Giant Turtle
Hapi?
Associated with the Nile, ebb and tide of flood waters, and turtles
Avenger
Horus
Horus was known as 'the avenger', and also appeared with a falcon's head.
Possible additions
Sand Giant/Golem
Neith?
?
I'm not really well versed at Egyptian Mythology, so ideas would be welcome...

Finally, please share any ideas you have for as yet unrevealed MU's!

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 03-27-2002 @ 08:00 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 24 February 2002 07:08 AM EDT (US)     1 / 69       
good post

Quote:

Hephaestus was a lame god whose skills were as a craftsman and smith...and the collosus was in fact a great statue. Possible

wasnt the collosus an early equivalent of a robot?

either way it would make sense

again, good post, very informative

perhaps stickied for newer players?

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
Psychic Ostrich
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 07:09 AM EDT (US)     2 / 69       
I see nothing wrong with your logic, seeing As I know nearly nothing about mythology.

I want Gullibursti in, hes cool.

*meditates*

SNIPPETS OF A CAFE CHAT:
Hey hi, damn, where is my... ...fridge, y'now, its been playing... ...with his nailclippers! I didnt know what to... ...weed, cos' i'm not a gardner, unlike Old... ...cushion, now it was... ...a bit soggy, with all his diarrhoea... ...experience with the theoretical side of... ...cats, oh they are doing... ...dancing with his best friend! now I would like to... ...grasp by the hilt you see? Anyway better be... ...going to lose his socks, silly... ...frog. Cya'...
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 07:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 69       
I'll post some links to the Myth sites I use, that way maybe people can find things I didn't, if they're interested.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 12:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 69       
Nice table. I wish I could use HTML.

Also there is that as of yet unidentified "fire-breathing unit."

"It may come as a shock to you . . . You can have fun and be serious all at the same time."

[This message has been edited by Clarissimus (edited 02-24-2002 @ 12:35 PM).]

David
HG Alumnus
posted 24 February 2002 12:52 PM EDT (US)     5 / 69       
Kraken = Poseidon, No?
Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 01:12 PM EDT (US)     6 / 69       
No, the Kraken was a sea monster. Posiedon was one of the main gods.

"It may come as a shock to you . . . You can have fun and be serious all at the same time."
ThePhoenix
posted 24 February 2002 01:13 PM EDT (US)     7 / 69       
Kraken is kinda like a giant squid...

[The Phoenix - I have returned]
Andy, stop it. You're finding faults in their arguements, and that is completely unacceptable! - Electric_Koolaid, while debating with Christians
Yes but you're a nutter. - Mark, pointing out why normal standards don't apply to Phoenix
Winner of Rajah of the Sands' To[sic] Conceited For Any Other Awards Then This One
Death greets me warm, now I will just say goodbye...
lief ericson
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 04:19 PM EDT (US)     8 / 69       
How come regular forummers can't use HTML but the Mods can?

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
Age_of_Monkies
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 04:34 PM EDT (US)     9 / 69       
The Kraken belongs to Poseidon and it doesn't look like a giant squid...Have you guys ever played Zeus: Master of Olympus? The game is very accurate on Greek mythology. Also there is an old movie about, I think Theseus, and he is on a quest to save the Princess Andromeda from the Kraken and uses Medusa's head to turn the Kraken to stone. (This is the story line of the campaign, my opinion only...) I'll try to find a picture of a Kraken.

This is a picture of the startup screen from Zeus.

[This message has been edited by Age_of_Monkies (edited 02-24-2002 @ 04:39 PM).]

shelper
HG Alumnus
posted 24 February 2002 04:40 PM EDT (US)     10 / 69       

Quote:

How come regular forummers can't use HTML but the Mods can

to stop immature forumers from making every post in a huuuuuge font

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
Lord_Spud
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 04:42 PM EDT (US)     11 / 69       
I think it'd be neat if they incorporated the Sirens into the game. The sirens could sing, and captivate the attention of a certain unit or multiple units, for a certain amount of time. Kinda like the Norse Frost Giant, who freezes the units so that other units can waste em while they are lame.

Lord Of The Rings
AOE ROR AOK AOC AOM
Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rolling Stones, RUSH

IV1066
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 06:05 PM EDT (US)     12 / 69       

Quote:

Also there is an old movie about, I think Theseus, and he is on a quest to save the Princess Andromeda from the Kraken and uses Medusa's head to turn the Kraken to stone.

It was Perseus, but that movie is horribly inaccurate. Perseus didn't ride Pegasus (he does in the movie), there was no Kraken in Greek mythology (there is a monster squid Kraken in Norse mythology). I fear that ES has given a Kraken to the Greeks and this confusion will continue, argh.

However, if the Greeks get the turtle, I'd bet on it being Aphrodite's MU since she's associated with turtles.

Call me Hal, ok?
SoR_Anarchy
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 06:09 PM EDT (US)     13 / 69       
Solid post tsd! One of the best i've ever seen in this forum.

God Bless America.

I am the state.

lief ericson
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 07:27 PM EDT (US)     14 / 69       
Greeks do get the turtle. I've seen it swimming along with many a Greek ship.

Quote:

to stop immature forumers from making every post in a huuuuuge font

Well the Mods might be giving up their power to use HTML but they won't be losing their power to ban people. Just say in the forum rules, "Excesive and meaningless use of the HTML size tags will result in a ban."

SEXITUP.
Acting-President of AoMH
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 07:28 PM EDT (US)     15 / 69       
Some myth links:

Encyclopaedia of Norse Mythology - Short and sweet

Gods, heroes and myths gateway - I used this site for pretty much everything relating to Egyptian Mythology

Greek Mythology.com

Encyclopaedia Mythica - Covers mostly only greek mythology, but touches on the other two as well

TheShdwDwn
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 25 February 2002 08:19 AM EDT (US)     16 / 69       
As for html, it's not just to prevent immature usage, it's to a) prevent the possibilities of damage to the site [quoting Zen there] and b) prevent use of things like flash, etc; since HG do their best to make the forums fast and quick loading even for people on dialup connections.

Also I changed Serket...I've come to the conclusion that Serket is probably the scorpion unit we've seen in several screenshots.

TheShdwDwn
The Fenris Wolf
Banned
posted 25 February 2002 10:26 AM EDT (US)     17 / 69       
Can't wait till friday, wenn the RA showcase comes out!

I'm sure we're gonna see a PHOENIX!!!

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 25 February 2002 06:49 PM EDT (US)     18 / 69       
I am, too. I really want to stick a picture of one of those on the units page, just ES haven't given us a pic yet.

TheShdwDwn

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 02-25-2002 @ 06:49 PM).]

Age_of_Monkies
Mortal
posted 25 February 2002 06:56 PM EDT (US)     19 / 69       
IV1066 did you study mythology in Language Arts? Every book I've read said that Posiedon had a monster called a Kraken who destroyed the city Argos. We even had a test over this. Maybe you should recheck your sources?
Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 25 February 2002 06:57 PM EDT (US)     20 / 69       
TSD, we also know from the Gamespot preview that Hermes is a possible choice for a second age god and that "Face of a Gorgon" upgrades the Medusa to the Medusa Matriarch.

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 25 February 2002 06:58 PM EDT (US)     21 / 69       
I'll have to go update the Zeus page then...

TheShdwDwn
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 25 February 2002 10:16 PM EDT (US)     22 / 69       
My idea for the Eggyes:

Scarab - Khepri - Creator God. Hes a scarab that rolls the solar disk through the sky.

Mummy - Thoth - Toth didn't teach Osiris mumification... He only invented it. Osiris was mumified by Anubis but I've never read anything about him learning it...
Maybe the mummy isn't a regular Myth unit like the others... I still thing they're a effect of a pharaoh or a priest magic spell to raise dead units. Or maybe he's the pharaoh who died and came back because of a spell from a priest or something... It was said that the pharaoh could be replaced really quickly and that there was a way to get 2 at the same time.

Scorpion - Serket - wich you already said.

Sphinx - Ra - I read somewhere that the sphinx was believed to be the reincarnation of Ra on earth.

I agree with all the same.
PS: am i the only one in the forums who likes Egyptian mythology??

BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 25 February 2002 10:17 PM EDT (US)     23 / 69       
sorry...
in the end it was supposed to read "i agree with all the rest"

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 25 February 2002 10:27 PM EDT (US)     24 / 69       
I personally am a fan of Norse mythology, though each of the ones covered by AoM is very rich and interesting. I'll add your ideas now BR...

TheShdwDwn
teutonicknight
Mortal
posted 25 February 2002 11:21 PM EDT (US)     25 / 69       
Wow! Good post! Very useful.

Copyright 2000-2002 teutonicknight LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 26 February 2002 01:51 AM EDT (US)     26 / 69       
Great post TSD .

I can contribute with 1 :

Quote:

The Cyclopes were gigantic one eyed monsters. There were three of them representing thunder, lighting, and the lighting bolt. They are named Brontes, Steropes, and Arges. They were born to Gaea and Uranus. They were also the first smiths. When Cronus came to power he imprisoned the Cyclopes in Tartarus. The were released by Zeus and fought with him against the Titans. As a reward for their release the Cyclopes gave Zeus his weapons of lighting and thunder. They continued as his workers at Mount Olympus forging his thunerbolts

- Greek MU creatures

It strongly suggests that Cyclopses will be the MUs for Zeus!

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 02-26-2002 @ 01:55 AM).]

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 26 February 2002 07:48 AM EDT (US)     27 / 69       
I'm actually fairly certain that Zeus's MU is Pegasus...since he carried Zeus' thunderbolts, plus it's a scout unit, most useful early on.

If you look at those MU's we know of already though, the associations, historically aren't strong. So some creative thinkign could produce other links for minor deities and MU's.

Possible Greek minor deities:
-Hermes (Associations: Horses, Birds...centaurs maybe?)
-Artemis (Associations: Hunting, deer, wilderness)
-Ares (Associations: War. Heh. Not helpful.)
-Hestia (Associations: Um, I forget)
-Demeter (Associations: Crops, trade, the underworld)
-Dionysus (Associations: Wine, the underworld, bringing the dead to life)
-Triton (Associations: The sea)

TheShdwDwn
lief ericson
Mortal
posted 26 February 2002 08:46 AM EDT (US)     28 / 69       
TheShadowDawn, I think what he ment was that the cyclops will be the MU of a god that Zues can pick.

SEXITUP.
Acting-President of AoMH
The Fenris Wolf
Banned
posted 26 February 2002 09:20 AM EDT (US)     29 / 69       
I have made this suggestion before, and i will make it again

A greek god named PAN:

"The great god Pan was celebrated as the author and director of the sacred dances which he is supposed to have instituted to symbolize the circumambulations of the heavenly bodies. Pan was a composite creature, the upper partwith the exception of his hornsbeing human, and the lower part in the form of a goat. Pan is the prototype of natural energy and, while undoubtedly a phallic deity, should not be confused with Priapus. The pipes of Pan signify the natural harmony of the spheres, and the god himself is a symbol of Saturn because this planet is enthroned in Capricorn, whose emblem is a goat. The Egyptians were initiated into the Mysteries of Pan, who was regarded as a phase of Jupiter, the Demirugus. Pan represented the impregnating power of the sun and was the chief of a horde of rustic deities, panes, fauns, and satyrs. He also signified the controlling spirit of the lower worlds. The Christians fabricated a story to the effect that at the time of the birth of Christ the oracles were silenced after giving utterance to one last cry, "Great Pan is dead!"

His GP would be PANic, meaning all enemy units would panic and scatter and flee , maybe even starting to attack eachother.

I don't know what his MU would be?

shelper
HG Alumnus
posted 26 February 2002 09:33 AM EDT (US)     30 / 69       

Quote:

I'm actually fairly certain that Zeus's MU is Pegasus...since he carried Zeus' thunderbolts, plus it's a scout unit, most useful early on

meaning other greek civs will have other scout units?

hmm i wonder which....

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames