You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » AoM vs AoE II
Bottom
Topic Subject:AoM vs AoE II
flip3570
Mortal
posted 16 October 2015 10:32 AM EDT (US)         
So, I'm like a bit unsure if I should switch from AoM to AoE II, these are my reasons why I would like to switch, please say, when I'm incorrect and please add things to it.

1. Meta-game
So, in AoM my favorite civ is the atlanteans, one problem; there are only THREE metagames that aren't horrible (standard oranos, krush and fast titan).

2. Micro
In AoE II there's a lot more micro for example hills

3. It's a bigger game
speaks for itselfe, more players = more fun

4. defences
in AoM, it's just almost IMPOSSIBLE to defend, your towers won't help. one mythic unit and ur dead and you can even teleport, earthquake or just fly OVER your freaking defences and in AoE 2 you can try to build castles in the castle age, if you do it. Nobody is gonna pass it until the imperial (or mass rams)

5. no settlements
I hate settlements, if one assoholic ally B*tch just steals ur settlement, or you lose it. Ur done, while in AoE 2 you can build them everywhere you would like ;P

these are just 4 things I really miss in AoM (#3 doesn't really matter). Please say that I'm not right or why I'm actually right

please forgive me for being so active on the forum xD

[This message has been edited by flip3570 (edited 10-16-2015 @ 10:33 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 17 October 2015 09:49 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
1 You're forgetting Zeus strategies
2 No, in AoM there is more micro because you have more unit types. AoM does also have a hill bonus although it's slightly less practical, hills need to be much higher and it only counts for ranged objects: http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,29660,,10
3 True for more players, but I believe the amount of players doesn't determine how fun the game is for the player in question, everyone's opinion is different
4 True
5 True

I fooled around with AoE2 alot back in the day, but literally the only thing preventing me from playing seriously is the lack of autoqueue. When you've been relying on it for so long it can be scary to play without it.

And be as active as you want, we love new faces

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.

[This message has been edited by CeaseDaFire (edited 10-23-2015 @ 11:00 AM).]

coolphoton1234
Mortal
posted 17 October 2015 10:58 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
has anyone ever tried making tier 2 or 3 defenses or place able settlement mods?

"Cain to command. Full barrage, danger close, immediate effect. Don't argue, just do it!"
flip3570
Mortal
posted 17 October 2015 11:34 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
1 You're forgetting Zeus strategies
2 AoM has a hill bonus although slightly less practical, hills need to be much higher and it only counts for ranged objects: http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,29660,,10
3 True for more players, but I believe the amount of players doesn't determine how fun the game is for the player in question, everyone's opinion is different
4 True
5 True

I fooled around with AoE2 alot back in the day, but literally the only thing preventing me from playing seriously is the lack of autoqueue. When you've been relying on it for so long it can be scary to play without it.

And be as active as you want, we love new faces
By the time I read this, I switched from the krush to standard oranos, I'm having the time of my life ;p
yucko
Mortal
posted 19 October 2015 02:08 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
I'm a AoM guy to the core but AoE2 is tons of fun too. I think AoE2 is a better balanced game. (don't burn me at the stake for saying this on an AoM forum)

In AoM, top Tier gods always come on top. It's an up hill battle for those who don't play as Zeus, Isis or Oranos. In AoE2 there use to be huge discrepancies like in AoM, however, they have been balancing the Civs with all the patches and expansions. I'm exited to see the god balancing they are going to do with the new AoM expansion. I pray to mother Gaia every night that she will get boosted some how.

Maps can really be unbalanced. Same goes for AoE2, however if the settlements are unfair then its really hard to come out on top with a population difference. I really like AoE2's idea where you can build as many tcs as you want, where ever you want. Makes it more fair and less reliant on a fair map. Also being able to reach peak population with houses helps a lot too.

Lack of no gold units in AoM is another issue. Gold Starving is much more effective in AoM, expecially if done before a player hits heroic and doesn't have a market. I almost feel like markets should be built in Classic but can only use buying/selling resources.

AoM focuses more on map control and favors early aggression due to all of this. I'm too much of a defensive/boomer style player and get my butt kicked too often.
AgnisAls
Mortal
posted 23 October 2015 07:49 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
1. Meta-game
So, in AoM my favorite civ is the atlanteans, one problem; there are only THREE metagames that aren't horrible (standard oranos, krush and fast titan).
I don't agree with this one. How about Zeus's strategies. Besides I've seen many effective ways of playing Oranos, not just a standard one.
2. Micro
In AoE II there's a lot more micro for example hills
This is partially true. I think micro in AoM starts to play a major role in extremly high level games. In AoEII it's common to see noobs+ microing their way into battle.
3. It's a bigger game
speaks for itselfe, more players = more fun
Absolutely true
4. defences
in AoM, it's just almost IMPOSSIBLE to defend, your towers won't help. one mythic unit and ur dead and you can even teleport, earthquake or just fly OVER your freaking defences and in AoE 2 you can try to build castles in the castle age, if you do it. Nobody is gonna pass it until the imperial (or mass rams)
Agree. In AoM when you get to a "defensive stance" you know the game is lost. In AoEII it's quite common to se an expert player make a come back (by that I mean being in a terrible position but win the game at the end just by pure skill and perfect dessicion making). In AoM I think I've never seen anyone make a comeback.
5. no settlements
I hate settlements, if one assoholic ally B*tch just steals ur settlement, or you lose it. Ur done, while in AoE 2 you can build them everywhere you would like ;P
True.

I based my opinion on many hours of my life I spend watching professional AoEII and AoM games.

Edit: Forgot to mention a very important subject! Trash units, in AoM there are no military units that cost no gold. So gold starving is almost the only basic strategy, even if it's denying gold mines (by taking map control, raids, etc) or denying trade. In most AoM games, the loser resigns because of lack of gold.

[This message has been edited by AgnisAls (edited 10-23-2015 @ 07:57 AM).]

flip3570
Mortal
posted 23 October 2015 09:12 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
True, but I'm back to AoM like instantly after playing one game of AoE II on voobly and that was because of..... chatty people. Like REALLY, I chat EVERY game in AoM, even in 1v1 rated!, but in that game, they said: stop chatting; play; else u will die. It was freaking BORING.....

and there are trash units: mythical units :P
RTSR
Mortal
posted 02 November 2015 09:54 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
@Yucko have you seen the boost they gave to Gaia in Voobly's Balance Patch? iirc 30% off on heroes!! and to play rated you have to have the balance patch so, formerly one of the biggest weakness of Gaia was the creation of heroes but not anymore XD
yucko
Mortal
posted 02 November 2015 10:02 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
@Yucko have you seen the boost they gave to Gaia in Voobly's Balance Patch? iirc 30% off on heroes!! and to play rated you have to have the balance patch so, formerly one of the biggest weakness of Gaia was the creation of heroes but not anymore XD
Wow didn't know! guess that's what I get for playing AoM:EE. I'll look into it, thanks!
flip3570
Mortal
posted 02 November 2015 01:55 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
It's probally an unoffical balance pack - just tested it, gaia's heroes are still just as expensive as oranosus
RTSR
Mortal
posted 02 November 2015 02:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
@Yucko it's called Voobly Balance Patch 1.02, they are already in 1.03 which also holds all previous versions. Yeah i think they done it beautifully in balancing Gaia.
XLightningStormL
Mortal
(id: TheBronyKing11)
posted 10 November 2015 08:26 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
imo Age of Kings and AoM are the best Age of games

I kinda wish they kept the Human tech and unit lines advanced like Age of Kings.

And Game speeds, and all the fancy game modes like regicide, wonder race etc

A lot of Age of Kings and AoEROR inspired stuff made it into: Improvement Mod, although don't expect slow games, although that will be an optional mutator in v1.2.

ImpMod also breaks the meta a lot, you'll see yourself switching from trash armies in the classical/heroic to gold and food heavy Phalangites and Baskilon Guards in the Mythic, along with a focus on broadening the Human tech and unit lines abeit. Hades becomes viable (and soon Gaia and Kronos will as well in v1.2) and Set's archer boost is finally useful with the Archer unit, along with a special Chaos attack for priests instead of that terrible animal conversion ability.

ImpMod also has a wider focus on Strategy and Micromanagement with Shock Cavalry (and Shock Infantry for Norse) and Cavalry Archers for all (Cavalry archers are technically unique to the atlanteans) so you can charge, run off then charge again. The addition of raider units to pesker enemy supply lines, etc.

Defense has been buffed up massively in V1.2, walls have 3000 hp just without stone walls, towers are yet still to be buffed up more, and the addition of Fire Towers for the Greeks to change their towers to. Arrowslits from AoAK has been added as well, to help towers, and other small things such as boosted building HP.

Lack of Gold isn't an issue, as trashies have been re-added, such as Light Cavalry, Clubmen for greeks, raider units etc

Raiding is more useful imo, especially for norse they get Arson (which is available to all civs and their infantry) and Pillage which makes cavalry have a small bonus vs Buildings.

Settlements haven't been changed though, although you can train slaves which gather quicker than villies, and 10 architects that can train eco and special buildings like taverns (which will be able to train mercs in v1.2 and acts as a defensive building)

Lead Designer and Producer of Age of Mythology's biggest mod compilation: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11038

[This message has been edited by Steelion69 (edited 11-10-2015 @ 08:40 PM).]

dolly_cat
Inactive
posted 15 November 2015 00:54 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
In my opinion, the fun in playing AoM relies in strategy plans for economy and attacks. It is much more exciting when you see that your empire is growing well because you used a good plan. Or when you see that the enemy attacks with a larger force than yours, but you can immediately call a group of raiders from the other corner of the map to crush the enemy army.

The fun of AoM relies only in stratrgy and, to be honest, I think it is not a game for noobs, or for those who search for more techs, units or a better graphics...

[This message has been edited by dolly_cat (edited 11-15-2015 @ 01:00 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames