You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Slower "Age" Advancement
Bottom
Topic Subject:Slower "Age" Advancement
eddieballgame
Mortal
posted 26 October 2015 04:40 PM EDT (US)         
Recently, a group of us have started playing this game in our "lan parties". We have become...hooked, to say the least. Just one aspect, of this wonderful game, did we quite not agree with.

Advancing up the ages seemed to fast for our tastes. With no in-game options to adjust this, we simply decided to edit the "techtreex" file to test our theory on whether or not this would make our games more interesting.

By doubling the costs per age advancement we achieved, in or opinion, a very nice result. We have played numerous games on this setting & like the fact that the "ages" stick around for awhile.

adjustment are as follows:
Classical = 800 food

Heroic = 1600 food 1000 gold

Mythic = 2000 food 2000 gold
AuthorReplies:
flip3570
Mortal
posted 26 October 2015 06:40 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9       
Firstly; I'm very jelly of having friends that like AoM; I was happy when I convinced one friend that it is a good game xD.

But really; I think ur in the ultra-noob stage; in the stage where you never played online. I don't say it's bad, I would love to get back to that stage with my dad, probally never gonna happen. But let's concider I'm a noob-med guy.

Let's get first things first; if you're a noob-med+ guy you'll learn that advancing to mythic without army is THE WORST THING EVER and most I think the ages are fine. If you take this in considiration (I always play oranos) when I'm in classical I build (on land maps)

2 counter barracks - autoque turma
1 normal barrack - autoque murmillo
1 temple - 3 prometheans (to save favor for later usuage)
1 town center - autoque villagers THIS IS PROBALLY THE MOST IMPORTANT

that's a lot? isn't it?, most of the times I don't even get the chance to THINK of heroic; but once I get to 115 population I stop ALL production (expect villagers) and then build 2 town centers (wich is another 200 food, 550 wood and 550 gold) and THEN I start to get resources for heroic; buy with the market me up to mythic and get to the titan age (fast titan oranos ).

But I think you never get from classical to mythic in 5 minuts (wich is 1/7th of a normal 3v3 match (30-40 minuts)) expect if you're doing a fast mythic or fast titan tactic; wich aren't really the most popular strats.

and I prefer short games; they don't take soo much time and especially when you're a hard-working student like me, that hasn't got a lot of time. You'll find out that you've got almost no time to game. So I prefer short games being short games (When a game goes over the 40 minuts mark, without hide & seek things) then it's 99/100 times an EPIC game)

Conclusion: in normal matches people stick with their ages!, so there is no need to change and even tough you get to the next age. It doesn't mean you have the advantage. You still need to get an army!

[This message has been edited by flip3570 (edited 10-26-2015 @ 06:44 PM).]

eddieballgame
Mortal
posted 27 October 2015 01:15 AM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Interesting...post. I laughed a little. I think I get your message, but not completely. Having played many different RTS games since the late 90's, I hadn't thought of myself as a noob, when posting this; nor my friends, who I have also shared numerous online/lan games with. Actually, it was our vast experience that lead us to try this particular variation of this fine game.
My post was just to share an idea, that "we" liked. Besides, this variant to slow down "ageing" or research, as another example, is quite common in many games; to include the RTS genre.
moonshadow222
Mortal
posted 27 October 2015 12:58 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
It depends a lot on how you guys play. if you attack each other early, you will see that age advancement is not slow at all.

But if all goes peacefully, yes, then you can advance pretty fast.

However, by playing just against the moderate AI (without cheese or passive AIs), you will find that you need to build quite a bit of an army in classical and heroic age, and mythic usually comes by the 10th minute mark, in the best case scenario.

Unless of course, you rush through the ages, but that means you can't take full advantage of getting to mythic so fast cause you need to do the stuff you were supposed to do in earlier ages (make villies, upgrades, units, etc).
eddieballgame
Mortal
posted 27 October 2015 02:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
I should point out, we play on very large maps...even bigger than the original large. I agree, on smaller maps, with aggressive players, there would be little time to advance on the original settings.

I will add, if lag is a problem for some, on very large maps...simply adjust the graphic settings. I play on a laptop with zero issues & our lan parties also experience zero issues.

[This message has been edited by eddieballgame (edited 10-27-2015 @ 02:54 PM).]

Eurotool
Hero
posted 27 October 2015 02:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
Good concept, never thought about this. Large maps allow players to boom harder though, by preventing early rushes on economy. Sounds like great games to play with friends nonetheless.

This reminds me of a reddit post where a person enjoyed building "attractive cities" all over the map, mentionning phoenix eggs were good decorations... every playstyle can be fun!

flip3570
Mortal
posted 28 October 2015 07:06 AM EDT (US)     6 / 9       
It could be interesting tough as a mode in EE.

[This message has been edited by flip3570 (edited 10-28-2015 @ 07:10 AM).]

yucko
Mortal
posted 29 October 2015 11:22 AM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
I really like this idea eddie. Seems like it would be real fun to play.

Only issues i see are:
Antlantian archaic age would be real strong because they can build TCs and out boom anyone.

800 food might be hard to come by on low hunt land maps because of lack of archaic age farms for non egypt players.

Would be fun nontheless. I remember once making a edit map where classic age was disabled. Fun strats i did against my brother were using Ra's Tank villagers to rush down his TC and getting all armoury upgrades on ulfs as Thor and killing everything.
eddieballgame
Mortal
posted 29 October 2015 01:18 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
After more games, have changed Classical advancement requirement to 500 food. The AI really struggles when it is too high, we notice.

Agreed, Yucko...even for us humans it tended to be a bit much. Also lowered the Heroic to 1500 food, just because. We are, however, finding the adjustments to be to our liking.
yucko
Mortal
posted 02 November 2015 09:59 AM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
Seems like fun, you should upload a recorded game of you guys playing this.

Saw this in download central. link here if anyone else is interested. I might break this out this mod next lan party I have.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames