You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoM war story ... sort of ...
posted 27 March 2002 01:46 PM EDT (US)   
This morning I playtested AoM. To help in fine-tuning balance issues, apparently playtesters have been required to all use the same culture (but not the same civ) in a given multiplayer game. Paul Jaquays, myself, David Cherry, and Don Gagen sat down to play a 2 vs. 2 and Deathshrimp told us that today everyone had to be Norse. We divvied up the teams designers vs. artists (i.e., me & Paul vs. Dave & Don). None of us are what I’d call an expert player. Probably me & Dave were the best, but we are definitely second string players (no offense Dave).

Gloriously, we designers won (I played Odin and Paul was Loki I think -- Dave & Don were Odin and Thor, not necessarily ion that order). The reason I bothered to post this was because one of the major reasons behind my victory was that (I think) Don has not been playing the Norse much lately, so that he was unfamiliar with them. This slowed him considerably and also made it harder to build an appropriate anti-Sandy army. Thus, I was able to cut through him considerably faster than normal, and even Dave’s timely assistance to Don didn’t save the day. Don did run away and rebuild, but again, his unfamiliarity with the Norse hurt him again. So he wasn’t really able to rebuild properly

I found this pretty heartening, because it indicated that, unlike AoK, the strategies for the various cultures are already so different that it takes a bit of time to adapt. Which indicates, to me, that the final game will have a far wider variety of options than AoK; i.e., if you are playing Odin vs. Ra, your strategic options are different than if you are playing Odin vs. Zeus.

Replies:
posted 27 March 2002 01:53 PM EDT (US)     1 / 30  
Thanks for the story! Not much of a war story, but it does give some good strategical insight. The further and further this game is progressing in development, the mare and more I realize how much strategy this game will require. Good job!

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.
posted 27 March 2002 02:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 30  
Well I'm not supposed to talk about the game's details. Hope it was useful/interesting anyway.

I will add the fact that the Mountain Giant I trained 3/4 of the way into the game sat idle for his entire lifespan because I stupidly didn't go back to the town, see him, and send him out. I also had a bunch of idle villagers for the same reason -- kept wondering why my gold supply was so low. So AoM still lets me be as boneheaded as usual.

[This message has been edited by ES_Sandyman (edited 03-27-2002 @ 02:07 PM).]

posted 27 March 2002 02:12 PM EDT (US)     3 / 30  
lol

i like that little thing about AOM, it helps us get an idea about the game. thx Sandy

0 0 0
1st place in Norse Mythology Quiz (BrandNewCar's)(the hardest one of the 3)
Owner of 3D Studio Max
Loyal to Ensemble Studios
I am Loki
U.S.A., AOM, ES, HG RULE!!!!
posted 27 March 2002 02:40 PM EDT (US)     4 / 30  
Glad to hear there will be differences in each culture. Can't wait for more movies or info on anything.

Even if you can give us some type of war story every 2 weeks or something could YA?

6 months is too long!!

posted 27 March 2002 02:50 PM EDT (US)     5 / 30  
i always have idel vills its like a bad habbit
posted 27 March 2002 02:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 30  
*sigh* just another foreshadowing of the mistakes I will make every game

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.
posted 27 March 2002 02:56 PM EDT (US)     7 / 30  
Thanks for sharing Sandy!
posted 27 March 2002 03:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 30  
Well... change the cut through faster than normal to +20 time as fast and you'll have me .
posted 27 March 2002 03:47 PM EDT (US)     9 / 30  
UNPREDICTIBILITY! yay!

Thanks sandy...

-Vladimir87

posted 27 March 2002 04:30 PM EDT (US)     10 / 30  
Thank you, Sandy! *begins bowing down to Sandy *

29th Greatest AoMH Forumer ever, former (and proud) FPH Templar
Winner of CC_Straight_Og's "Most Humorous Reply" award (though I still have no idea why ).
Winner of AgeofMe's "The Site Jerk" title (and I do have an idea why )
"Character is destiny." -Heraclitus
Official Mascot of the Age of Mythology Heaven forums!
posted 27 March 2002 05:00 PM EDT (US)     11 / 30  
WOW, thanxxxs

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
posted 27 March 2002 05:03 PM EDT (US)     12 / 30  
Odin gets the Mountain Giant...

I love how the Norse will play so diffrent then the eggy's or the Greeks that someone who plays the greeks more will have to get use to the Norse before they actually get good!

At my signal unleash HELL.
God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
•••winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"•••
•••••••Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!•••••••
People just complain about other people's Signatures because
they aren't smart enough to make their own.
posted 27 March 2002 05:23 PM EDT (US)     13 / 30  
We would all be extremely grateful if you could list the all the minor deities, all the god powers, all the mythological units and what Ensemble are currently planning to put in for the Norse civilization. Thank you for your trouble.
posted 27 March 2002 06:08 PM EDT (US)     14 / 30  
Haha! Sandy told us that Odin gets the Mountain Gaint. Kinda strange though, since I thought the giants were the gods worst enemies.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
posted 27 March 2002 06:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 30  
That doesn't mean that Odin automatically "gets" the Mountain Giant, it just means that one of the sub-dieties that Odin has access to does. I bet that sub-diety can be accessed by Thor or Loki, as well.
posted 27 March 2002 06:32 PM EDT (US)     16 / 30  
That's what I meant

SEXITUP.
Acting-President of AoMH
posted 27 March 2002 07:29 PM EDT (US)     17 / 30  
I usually don't have idle villagers, and AoM makes it easy to identify your "idles", but the fighting in this one was especially intense since I was almost always in Don's town or fighting to get into Dave's. So I didn't pay proper attention. I guess that kind of thing is what makes me a "C" player.

Odin may NOTget the Mountain Giant. Remember balancing is still going on, and certainly something as specific as who gets what unit is subject to change.

Note that even if you try to stick to Greek (which is the most like old AoK style stuff), you will find yourself getting into trouble if you go up against non-Greek opponents, doing things you aren't ready for. Plus even the Greeks are not all THAT similar to AoK.

posted 27 March 2002 08:16 PM EDT (US)     18 / 30  
I am Jealous . Good info though

http://aom.rtsgamer.com
AoM VIP Alpha Tester
posted 27 March 2002 08:28 PM EDT (US)     19 / 30  
Great story Sandy. It makes Ogre feel more excited about playing Age of Mythology. He sees to much of the same over and over again, as far as strategies go. It should be fresh and exciting from what it sounds, like Ogre didin't already guess that

Ogre's like to talk in third person
-- Through The Ages --
-- http://www.throughtheages.com --
-- Ogre's Network --
-- http://www.ogresnet.com --
posted 28 March 2002 06:10 AM EDT (US)     20 / 30  
Haha! Sandy told us that Odin gets the Mountain Gaint
endquote

LOL, yeah, I first didn't realize this.

Odin may NOTget the Mountain Giant. Remember balancing is still going on, and certainly something as specific as who gets what unit is subject to change.
endquote

Yeah, I'd also say such things now if I was you.

open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
posted 28 March 2002 12:55 PM EDT (US)     21 / 30  
Well at least you still don't know anything REAL about the mountain giant.
posted 28 March 2002 02:22 PM EDT (US)     22 / 30  
And what about the Computer Games's preview?

posted 28 March 2002 06:33 PM EDT (US)     23 / 30  
Sandy's Answer:

Real:And what about the Computer Games's preview?

Sandy:Er...um..could you plz not tell the guys about this? I don't wanna end up like those Gamespot guys yall hanged a while back! Plz?

Hehe! j/k

SEXITUP.
Acting-President of AoMH
posted 28 March 2002 07:14 PM EDT (US)     24 / 30  
Cool story, thanks sandy.

God Bless America.

I am the state.

posted 28 March 2002 11:08 PM EDT (US)     25 / 30  
*gasp* ES made a spelling error!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARNT GODS JK lol

but you did misspell somethine3r

The seals that hold back the night shall weaken,
and in the heart of winter shall winter's heart be born
amid the wailings of lamentations and gnashing of teeth, for winter's heart shall ride a black horse,
and the name if it is Death
-from the Karaethon Cycle The Prophecies of the Dragon

posted 29 March 2002 00:35 AM EDT (US)     26 / 30  
Hey since you can´t tell us details what about the colors you guys picked? Are they also subject to change?

Now seriously.... I am happy to hear news like this that implies that the game will demand more and more strategy instead of more micromanaging, somehow tearing appart from the StarCraft-like games. Maybe this is because the first game I really got hocked up was Civ and Civ II. But I guess there´s also the bad side of the story. It looks like AOM will have more inbalances issues than the previous Age games because of the huge new features implemented. This might demand from ES a bigger and a more constant support in terms of new patches.

posted 29 March 2002 00:48 AM EDT (US)     27 / 30  
me thinks Sandy was just looking for an excuse to brag

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
posted 29 March 2002 12:09 PM EDT (US)     28 / 30  
My color was blue. Paul J. was red.

I am proud to brag about winning that game, especially considering that the average skill of the other team was higher than the average skill of my team. We played better than normal and managed to win. Yee ha. Shouldn't I be happy with such a result?

I don't mind you guys finding out things about the Mountain Giant or whatever in previews at Gamespy or wherever. Just not through me.

posted 29 March 2002 12:35 PM EDT (US)     29 / 30  
Do u see guys? He's just no more arguments!

posted 29 March 2002 01:55 PM EDT (US)     30 / 30  
Hum... if the artist´s team had better skills and the designer´s team won, does this mean designers are smarter than artists?
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » AoM war story ... sort of ...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames