You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.48 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Are we essentially back to square one in playing?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Are we essentially back to square one in playing?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
JackalRat
HG Alumnus
(id: BrandNewCar)
posted 30 March 2002 05:18 PM EDT (US)         
What I mean by this is when AoM comes out will be all be back to the beginning, The ES staff say the civilisations are very different from the play of AoK and even the Greeks who are supposed to be nearest to AoK play will have significant differences in play mean that we will won't have a set way to play, so all the Aok experts will have to relearn everything giving the rooks (me) a chance to compete with them? I wonder how long it will be until we have build orders and a attack which is used by a lot of people in the rated rooms on the MSN Zone. Interested on peoples thoughts and will what we know about AoK be effectively worth nothing? .
AuthorReplies:
Immhotep
Mortal
posted 31 March 2002 07:47 PM EDT (US)     31 / 48       
What is your rating if you're not a bad player, Blacknight?
alLan Mandragoran
Mortal
posted 31 March 2002 08:03 PM EDT (US)     32 / 48       
I have been beat by somone that hasn't used any hotkeys before . I had never played Dark Age DM (in EE) before and all he made were Persian Calvary and Stone throwers, really cheap. I played him again , 1v1 and rocked him getting 761 speed using about 400 hotkeys

The seals that hold back the night shall weaken,
and in the heart of winter shall winter's heart be born
amid the wailings of lamentations and gnashing of teeth, for winter's heart shall ride a black horse,
and the name if it is Death
-from the Karaethon Cycle The Prophecies of the Dragon

IR_Evil
Mortal
posted 31 March 2002 08:33 PM EDT (US)     33 / 48       
the only hotkeys i use are H and C to make villagers, and im definitely not a newbie

[This message has been edited by IR_Evil (edited 03-31-2002 @ 08:38 PM).]

ES_DeathShrimp
Immortal
posted 01 April 2002 07:19 PM EDT (US)     34 / 48       
In my experience (and I think it's safe to say I've seen more games of AOM than anyone) players who were good at AOK are also good at AOM. It isn't that your skills can immediately translate over, because as you point out, differnt mythologies play in different ways, but the skills that allowed players to get good at AOK should still allow them to get good at AOM: the ability to multitask, to make quick decisions, to analyze a situation with a quick glance, remembering all the numbers, etc.

What is improved in AOM, I think, is that the best players are not always the ones with best economy. Having a good economy is still really useful, but you can't leverage it into the kind of wacky strategies we saw in AOK where someone could replace their 100 Skirmishers infinitely. Claiming and holding terrain is more important in AOM, but buildings are comparatively weaker than they were in AOK. In addition, powerful units like the MUs make you want to pay attention a little more on the battlefield. Some of the good players of AOK (but not the truly great ones) would throw their armies at an opponent and go back to micromanaging their economy. The God Powers can also really turn a battle around. Even if you are getting crushed, you always have a few GPs in your back pocket. Even if they don't turn the game around for you, it is a nice finger in the eye of the guy that has you on the run.

Interesting post.

Coldline
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 09:50 PM EDT (US)     35 / 48       

Quoted from DeathShrimp:

What is improved in AOM, I think, is that the best players are not always the ones with best economy.

Amen!! the economy was fun in aok, but it was too important. like DS said, you could just throw your army at your opponent and go back and manage your economy for the next wave, what fun is that? a rts game needs more of the s, strategy. i like the direction aom is taking. keep up the awesome work ES!!

JackalRat
HG Alumnus
posted 02 April 2002 00:42 AM EDT (US)     36 / 48       
Thanks Deathshrimp!, so it looks like if things are looking bleak MU's might be able to get yourself out of a sticky situation.
Socrates
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 04:16 AM EDT (US)     37 / 48       

Quote:

and will what we know about AoK be effectively worth nothing?

Certainly not. Yes, you'll need to learn how to play AoM, but there are certain game playing skills that do not contain themselves to individual titles. You'll carry these over into AoM.

JackalRat
HG Alumnus
posted 02 April 2002 05:03 AM EDT (US)     38 / 48       

Quote:

but there are certain game playing skills that do not contain themselves to individual titles. You'll carry these over into AoM.

What happens if you don't have them in Aok? That sums me up at my aok playing ability, hehe .

Socrates
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 06:43 AM EDT (US)     39 / 48       
Then you'll have to get down and practice like the rest of us did, back in the day!
SandyMan
Immortal
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 02 April 2002 01:30 PM EDT (US)     40 / 48       
If you were good at AoK because you memorized build orders and counter-unit strategies, instead of thinking for yourself, then you will do poorly at AoM until you manage to memorize a new build order.

However, even after managing to commit some strategy to rote memory, you still may suck at AoM, comparatively speaking, because there are so many more ways to respond creatively to a rigidly-thinking foe.

And, unlike AoK, where you can pretty much rely on an enemy trying to counter your knights with pikemen every time, the possibilities are far more varied in AoK. You have to watch for opportunities and keep your mind open.

I think it's a lot more fun than AoK, myself. Furthermore, when my son makes me play AoK against him, I notice I'm doing worse and worse at AoK because I keep trying to use AoM's simpler & better UI features and that doesn't work so good. Kind of like trying to go back to AoE and planting all your farms around your town center, then realizing you can't walk over your farms in AoE.

JackalRat
HG Alumnus
posted 02 April 2002 01:34 PM EDT (US)     41 / 48       
I see what you mean Sandyman, its never easy to go back to old games when you are constantly surrounded by a new up and coming game and so many of the features of the new game are much better than previously .
Alexander
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 02:51 PM EDT (US)     42 / 48       
JackalRat
HG Alumnus
posted 02 April 2002 03:29 PM EDT (US)     43 / 48       
Who was the game against? .
Alexander
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 04:09 PM EDT (US)     44 / 48       
CGB_HERO

You don't suck hehe.

JackalRat
HG Alumnus
posted 02 April 2002 04:22 PM EDT (US)     45 / 48       
I would if I played now hehe , try searching under id WX_Asheng if your after more of my games. I knew I should have uploaded my victory on ga vs NoX_Adam i'm hitting myself not for doing it before ah well . Thats enough off topicness in this thread for now
Zakthegreat
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 04:24 PM EDT (US)     46 / 48       
BNC check your E-mail plz

at asheng61@hotmail.com
plz reply by e-mail not forum THX

0 0 0
1st place in Norse Mythology Quiz (BrandNewCar's)(the hardest one of the 3)
Owner of 3D Studio Max
Loyal to Ensemble Studios
I am Loki
U.S.A., AOM, ES, HG RULE!!!!
JackalRat
HG Alumnus
posted 02 April 2002 04:32 PM EDT (US)     47 / 48       
* has replied * You have to wonder how OT a topic can get
IR_Evil
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 08:29 PM EDT (US)     48 / 48       
So Imhotep if that guy sucks for only using 3 hotkeys how bad am I if I only even know 2? H and C.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames