You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.51 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » War Elephants
Bottom
Topic Subject:War Elephants
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 02:42 PM EDT (US)         

Quoted from the forums, long ago:

Games with elephants are better than games without elephants

War-elephants were among some of the most beloved units in the Age series. It's great to see them back, with a rider and a box (aka "tower").
Some thoughts about them:
- it seems like the rider "spanks" the elephant with his stick to make them move and attack:

- they have no tusks, so their attack will probably be trampling the enemy.

- Finishing move: It will be cool seeing them picking an enemy human-unit with their trunk and throwing him away .

- In the previous Age game, the war Elephant was the largest and strongest land unit. In AoM, on the other hand, they have larger and probably stronger competitors: MUs such as giants, hydras, etc. I wonder how will the elephant deal with them...
And will they still have their "juggernaut" reputation?

- In AoE/RoR, the Egyptians had war-elephants. Did the Egyptians actually used WEs in their history/mythology?

- I wonder whether they have a trample damage.

- With all the expensive&powerful MUs in the game, I hope the priests/monks will be ballanced the way they won't convert WEs in few secs and make them inefficient. (personally, I hope there will be no convertions in the game)

- Will we see Elephant Archers in the game?

- Notice the difference between the elephants in the screenshot, and the elephants in the ES site (the one in the top of the post). Their armour looks different: one have bronze armour, the other has brown armour. The box look different also.
An upgrade? Art change?

What do you think?

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect

[This message has been edited by Last_Knight (edited 04-01-2002 @ 02:57 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 01 April 2002 02:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 51       
i thought only MU's had finishing moves?

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 02:48 PM EDT (US)     2 / 51       
Maybe there's also a deal for units that weight more than 4 tons .

The Last Knight
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 03:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 51       
... Just noticed the differences between the elephants in the 2 pictures I posted. Added to the topic post...

The Last Knight
shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 01 April 2002 03:01 PM EDT (US)     4 / 51       

Quote:

Maybe there's also a deal for units that weight more than 4 tons

like the pharaoh?

*rimshot*

pharaoh: hey...

[This message has been edited by Smileyshelper (edited 04-01-2002 @ 03:02 PM).]

Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 03:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 51       
lol

The Last Knight
Cyclops
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 03:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 51       
One thing baffles me will the elephant himself attack or will the guy riding him attack.

Whoever reads what I said above should disregard whatever I said, because I probably don't know what im talking about.
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 04:07 PM EDT (US)     7 / 51       
Cyclops: probably the elephant will attack. The man holds a tiny wooden stick, while riding a 6 tons beast.

If there will be elephant archers, the archer on the elephant's back will attack, although the elephant may help them when they're attacked from hand-to-hand.

The Last Knight
Cyclops
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 04:18 PM EDT (US)     8 / 51       
Last knight, i dont think they will make an elephant archer for reasons.

1. Elephants are slow and wouldn't be a good hit and run unit.

2. If the elephant rider could shoot arrows and the elephant couls fight it would be unbalanced because of a unit that has 2 moves.

3. And they would be to expensive.

But other wise id really like to see and elephant archers.

Whoever reads what I said above should disregard whatever I said, because I probably don't know what im talking about.
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 04:26 PM EDT (US)     9 / 51       
Cyclops: ever seen an elephant-archer in action in AoE1 or EE?
It's not that fearsome or unballanced, but it's a useful unit.

The main problem is: it's kinda boring seeing the huge elephant doing nothing while the tiny archer does all the fighting .
But ele-archers can still be neat .

The Last Knight

[This message has been edited by Last_Knight (edited 04-01-2002 @ 04:29 PM).]

Cyclops
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 04:30 PM EDT (US)     10 / 51       
No, why is that good in action, is there an elephant archer in aoe1.

Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 04:34 PM EDT (US)     11 / 51       

Yup, there's a EA in AoE1. The entire game wasn't ballanced, so don't expect the EA in AoE1 to be perfectly ballanced .

The Last Knight
Cyclops
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 04:39 PM EDT (US)     12 / 51       
Oh i was thinking about aoe2, i really like the idea. But still i dont think that aom will put in a elephant archer.

U know what would be funny to see, a civ devoted all to elephants. 4 example elephant chariot, elephant scout, elephant swordsmen.

Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 04:41 PM EDT (US)     13 / 51       
lol, it'd be funny... maybe in the Nepal expansion .
Another elephant archer image: here

The Last Knight

[This message has been edited by Last_Knight (edited 04-01-2002 @ 04:42 PM).]

Antonious_Andronikos
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 04:47 PM EDT (US)     14 / 51       
Hello Everyone,

I just have a comment about ES's favorite stereotypes:

(1) I want anyone in ES to point out to me ONE reference of Egyptian armies using either elephants or camels....Just One; I am not asking for too much!

(2) As far as I know, there is no mention of camels or elephants in Egyptian mythology. Camels were restricted to use in trade. I haven't heard or read about any Egyptian armies charging with their mighty camels into battles. As far as elephants are concerned, Egyptians came in contact with them as they continued to expand their empire southward into Nubia, Sudan and parts of Ethiopia. How the heck they were able to domesticate them and put them in their armies, I don't have a freaking clue...apparently, ES does.

[This message has been edited by Antonious_Andronikos (edited 04-01-2002 @ 04:59 PM).]

IR_Evil
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 04:52 PM EDT (US)     15 / 51       
Do u really care? Eles and camels r cool and add diversity to the game. When was the last time u ever heard of the Egyptians calling down meteor showers or summoning mighty birdmen to help them.
Cyclops
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 04:57 PM EDT (US)     16 / 51       
PLEAZE STOP YELLING AT ME. Well to answer your question i really dont care if ancient egypt used elephants or camels in battle, but it does look damn cool to see a guy on an elephant kick an infranty swordsmens @$$.

Well im sure ES has some brilliant explanation about this.

Antonious_Andronikos
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 04:57 PM EDT (US)     17 / 51       
Elephants would be used best with either a Mespotamian civ or an Indian civ. I think that would fit them more. I am not upset at all. --And as far as historical inaccuracies are concerned, nothing would ever beat giving the Byzantines mosques in AOK.
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 05:05 PM EDT (US)     18 / 51       
Although I don't have a problem having them in the game despite a historical inaccuracy, it's interesting to know if it actually has a historical basis.

Quote:

And as far as historical inaccuracies are concerned, nothing would ever beat giving the Byzantines mosques in AOK

Aztec trebs, X-bows and 2 handed swordsmen .

The Last Knight
Cyclops
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 06:33 PM EDT (US)     19 / 51       
Last knights right, not everything in AOM is historically accurate. It is called age of mythology for a reason, key word mythology. Because non of the MU's ever existed, and it would just be to plain to see only horses as cavalry. Even if elephants and camels werent used in ancient times, it still looks cool.

lief ericson
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 06:43 PM EDT (US)     20 / 51       
Here's some inacuaracies for you:
  • The Huns in real history barely made it into the Dark Ages, but not the Feudal, Castle or Imperial ages.

• The Mongols couldn't build castles.

• As far as I know, the Franks didn't have knights

• There was no word in any ancient language that even resembled "Wololo".

• The Greeks(I'm pretty sure) were the only civ to use fire tiremes.

• The list goes on...

Drat! The damned Eggies got the Elephants! I guess this means no Persian X-Pack civ.

Woulda been a good Persian unit...

Oh yah, and LK, there won't be any converting in the game according to the Gamespot Ra Showcase.

SEXITUP.
    Former Leader of the FPH Clan
    Acting-President of AoMH

[This message has been edited by Lief Ericson (edited 04-01-2002 @ 06:45 PM).]

• Stone_Giant
    Mortal
    posted 01 April 2002 06:44 PM EDT (US)     21 / 51       
    It doesn't look very aggressive to me....

It may not even be a war unit

Stone_Giant

ES_DeathShrimp
    Immortal
    posted 01 April 2002 06:57 PM EDT (US)     22 / 51       
    While we are not too concerned with violating history if it makes the game more fun (and elephants always count as more fun in my book), the Egyptians did indeed use elephants in warfare. Go do an Internet search for the Ptolomies, who ruled Egypt during Roman times (ca. 200 BC). Egypt, in fact, was the first region to use African elephants in combat. Until that point the Mediterranean imported Indian elephants.

Elephants were not all that uncommon in ancient warfare. They were generally more useful against armies that had never encountered them before. All of the sources are pretty consistent about the fact that elephants were scared of pigs, so pigs were often brought into battle as the "elephant counter". They don't mention mice.

lief ericson
    Mortal
    posted 01 April 2002 07:11 PM EDT (US)     23 / 51       
    So the Elephants counter will be a pig?

SEXITUP.
    Former Leader of the FPH Clan
    Acting-President of AoMH
    Coldline
    Mortal
    posted 01 April 2002 07:22 PM EDT (US)     24 / 51       

Pigs were brought to war as an elephant counter? thats such an interesting little factoid. i wonder why elephants are scared of pigs...you thik there might be a game mechanic like that? altho i wouldn't want my precious elephant armies to be defeated by a bunch of pigs (Hmmmm will the war elephants be turned into pigs with that GP too? or will all the people turn into pigs and scare off the elephants?)

personally, i'm ecstatic that theres elephants in aom, it wouldn't be an es game without the 'phants

Lord_Spud
    Mortal
    posted 01 April 2002 07:22 PM EDT (US)     25 / 51       
    No French Knights? You gotta be kidding....French knights are renowned in stories....French kkknnniigggghhuutttss were a rather common thing, it's just that france was rather poor(100 years war) and couldn't afford too many....

Lord Of The Rings
    AOE ROR AOK AOC AOM
    Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rolling Stones, RUSH

c r e e z y
    Mortal
    (id: Hairy Scary Man)
    posted 01 April 2002 08:16 PM EDT (US)     26 / 51       

Quoted from ES_DeathShrimp:

They don't mention mice.

actually in real life elephants rnt afraid of mice...well thats what i read sumwhere

AgeofMe
    Mortal
    posted 01 April 2002 08:48 PM EDT (US)     27 / 51       

Quote:

so the elephants counter will be a pig?

What do you think they have Gullinbursti charging in for in the new screenie?

You know that newbie you played who insisted
    on Black Forest? Who dragged you out on a 6 hour
    long game without once attacking?
    Hi
    Proud member of the FPH clan.
    Proud Winner of Dare's first funny sig award.
    c r e e z y
    Mortal
    (id: Hairy Scary Man)
    posted 01 April 2002 08:53 PM EDT (US)     28 / 51       
    to eat the infantry?

TheShadowDawn
    Mortal
    posted 01 April 2002 10:08 PM EDT (US)     29 / 51       

Quote:

All of the sources are pretty consistent about the fact that elephants were scared of pigs, so pigs were often brought into battle as the "elephant counter"

Interesting.

TheShdwDwn
    If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
    EgyptianGod
    Mortal
    posted 01 April 2002 10:34 PM EDT (US)     30 / 51       
    Ok as far as camels go the Egyptians did use them but usually only for supply carrying because they are stronger and have better stamina than horses. They were very uncommon because horses were faster, more common and, more comfortable, although Bactrian camels(2 humps) look comfortable they are from asia, the one hump would get umcomfortable quick.
    And Franks not having knights thats just crazy, they invented them.

Trying is the first step towards failure- Homer Simpson

Keep in mind that Christianity and the other active religions today are mythologies- Bruce Shelley

[This message has been edited by EgyptianGod (edited 04-01-2002 @ 10:36 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames