You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Interesting thought...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Interesting thought...
Napoleon_the_XV
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 07:30 PM EDT (US)         
I just thought of something. What's to stop a player from turtling and building a large of MU's? Sure, you would say they can't turtle because of the gp's, but now that's not true. The god powers can't really hold them back since they're only used once each. They player can just rebuild their walls. This would go against ES's plan of a shorter game and fast-paced gameplay, so it's a (maybe major) issue.

History is a set of lies agreed upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names. - John F. Kennedy
After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one. - Cato the Elder
AuthorReplies:
c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 01 April 2002 08:20 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
whats wrong with turtling??...r u sayin turtles rnt cool??...cuz they r and u know it...the turtle beat the hare...well tortoise same thing...turtlin is ok...other players could rush with an army after the GP or vice versa...right?...then it could b short...i guess

WhoAskedU
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 08:41 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
you also got to remember that MUs cost more then just one slot of the population limit, Mountain Giants might take up 5 pop (just a "guess") and a 200 pop game (assuming you build an average "AoK" amount of villagers of 90) means you could only "a-mass" 22 Mount Giants...dont forget about favor though, we dont know how much favor they cost (maybe 20, maybe 100), and we also dont know how long it takes to gain favor...so it would not only take a long time to mass those mountain giants but you would also only be able to mass up 22...and dont forget about them costing food, wood, and gold too...

At my signal unleash HELL.
God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
•••winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"•••
•••••••Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!•••••••
People just complain about other people's Signatures because
they aren't smart enough to make their own.
c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 01 April 2002 08:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       

Quoted from WhoAskedU:

assuming you build an average "AoK" amount of villagers of 90

whoa...i only build like 30/35...is that a bad thing??

Enrique Orduno
Banned
posted 01 April 2002 09:00 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
What stopped someone from turtling in Aok ?

A rush or a full-scale attack...more than enough...

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 09:17 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       

Quote:

whoa...i only build like 30/35...is that a bad thing??

Yes. Thats kinda pathetic

70-90 for me. Depends on the map and stuff. And if i have lots of resouces, i may kill a few off for military units. But lots of villagers are good.

Unless you play with a lower pop limit, i think we're talking about 200 pop limit.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 09:25 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
I think there's a lot to discourage turtling, personally. But on the other end of the scale I'm sure that casual gamers will be able to turtle happily as well, if not very practically.

Settlements for one. If you don't expand aggressively, your opponent is going to be able to build more units, a larger economy and will in short beat the crap out of you.

Relics. Some relics may disadvantage you and you'll want to make your enemy pay in blood for getting them, or you may want them yourself. Plus you need to go get the relics to start off with.

And finally, more ways to knock down defenses. 'Nuff said.

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
Napoleon_the_XV
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 02:24 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Well, it was just a concern. Thanks for putting my fears to rest.

History is a set of lies agreed upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names. - John F. Kennedy
After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one. - Cato the Elder
Socrates
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 03:12 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12       

Quote:

What stopped someone from turtling in Aok ?
A rush or a full-scale attack...more than enough...

Words of wisdom. Turtling is just a tactic (and a rather poor one at that). Take him before he can buid up or lay seige to him. I've done both many times.

SandyMan
Immortal
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 02 April 2002 01:47 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
nothing "prevents" you from turtling in AoM, just as nothing prevents you from turtling in AoK. I suspect you are thinking that someone that built up a huge army of MUs would be invincible.

Well, there might be some truth to that (I'd hate to fight a force of 30 Medusas), but in AoK, if you had a whole giant army of fully-upgraded Byzantine cataphracts, you were pretty tough to stop. They were cost-effective against infantry, archers, and nearly a match for paladins -- sprinkle a few of the cheapo Byzantine heavy camels in among the cataphracts and even the paladins have to cave.

So why weren't huge armies of fully-upgraded Byzantine cataphracts a major feature of AoK's Imperial Ages? Hmm?

Bryan_Adams
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 04:25 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       

Quote:

So why weren't huge armies of fully-upgraded Byzantine cataphracts a major feature of AoK's Imperial Ages? Hmm?

Could it be that they cost a fortune to be fully-upgraded, and the cataphracts themsevles cost also another fortune?
Also, they're slower to be built since you can only make so many castles, whereas cheaper counter units (pike line) can be made much faster in cheapo barracks .

DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 02 April 2002 04:59 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Its not like massing Paladins, they cost more, take up more population, and probabaly take a while to create (well..in this case, summon)

They aren't quite invincible, as said before, you'll be lucky to mass 20 of them, at the most 50. You have your GPs to use against masses of them, and if someone turtles, you also have time to turtle along and mass troops and MUs.

If someone is turtling building MUs, make human units and a few MUs and atack them when they don't have tons of them yet..since they probably take a while to summon like I said before.

DK
XCrash_Fish
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 09:22 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
Turtling happens just as rushes, no one likes either, and some people discourage both. I think that it is impossible to prevent people from turtling, and sometimes a turtling partner can save the day, if he/she isnt a little greedy snoach. IMO, if you want to tutle, go to Maryland University.... !Yay Terrapins!

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames