You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.58 replies, Closed
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » don't you think AOM looks a little cheesy?
Bottom
Topic Subject:don't you think AOM looks a little cheesy?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Albino Punker
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 09:21 PM EDT (US)         
I think AOM looks pretty stupid, the giants and minotaurs look so retarded. the 3-d engine looks a lot worse than the 2d as well. but there's not much more they can do in terms of realism. so they made it 3d and created stupid looking fantasy creatures. if your going to use imaginary or "mythological" beings, at least make them look half-decent. Like warcraft III looks like. the minotaurs look like guys wearing masks, and the giants are just enlarged versions of regular solders. I know these are early stages of the game, but I hope this improves, greatly.
AuthorReplies:
Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:09 PM EDT (US)     31 / 58       
Very well said...XCrash_Fish.
DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 02 April 2002 10:10 PM EDT (US)     32 / 58       
X_Crash is always right

DK
redcoat219
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:14 PM EDT (US)     33 / 58       
cause im always tellin him what to say behind curtains.. isnt that right x crash
robdude11
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:15 PM EDT (US)     34 / 58       
if u want to see the game in action, you can watch the movies (if you have a fairly decent connection), u can find them on this site or www.gamespot.com , or ensemblestudios.com. w3 and aom have different graphics. first, w3 is zoomed in way furthur than aom, and it is intended for small scale battles, however, aom is for large scale battles with many units fighting at once. i don't think the 3d engine looks worse than the 2d, because, well, its 3d! .

Quote:

giants are just enlarged versions of regular solders

isn't that what a giant is?

Quoted from dictionary:

giant= n. mythical being of superhuman size, very tall person

[This message has been edited by robdude11 (edited 04-02-2002 @ 10:16 PM).]

Albino Punker
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:18 PM EDT (US)     35 / 58       
I'll have to correct myself a little.
after looking at AOMs new screenshots, it looks a lot cooler, the beetles, dragons, chimeras, pheonixes, and snake things are pretty cool. I still think the giants are out of place though they are just too childish for my tastes. also some of the smaller characters are blocky and hard to distunguish. but the scenery is amazing and the buildings are very detailed. i still think AOK's 2d sprites and animations are the best you can get for a RTS game. you just can't get the same detail with 3d as you get with 2d.
DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 02 April 2002 10:18 PM EDT (US)     36 / 58       
Rob, you're right on. I was thinking the same think. And really, they don't look simply like enlarged soldiers.

DK
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:20 PM EDT (US)     37 / 58       
lol this guy reminds me of that Anubis 18 something... We'll be sure to find him here in two weeks posting stuff like "this game rules all". lol

XCrash_Fish
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:24 PM EDT (US)     38 / 58       
I am right?.... wait a minute, I thought I was drinking water, that new brand called akdov!!!

Im not supposed to be right, im just making sure we all stay calm and civil (trying to reduce closed posts).

*takes another sip*...to better foruming

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.
Gagylpus
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:27 PM EDT (US)     39 / 58       
If you don't like AoM get out of here.
*pulls out gandr*
*blasts door open*
*aims at Albino*

Note to all who are not dedicated LOTR fans:
A gandr is a staff, particularly one with magical properties. It is seen in the name Gandralfv, from which comes Gandalf.

Gagylpus
I don't have a signature. Signatures are for mortals. Or very insecure immortals like those freaking Greek gods.

[This message has been edited by Gagylpus (edited 04-02-2002 @ 10:30 PM).]

c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 02 April 2002 10:39 PM EDT (US)     40 / 58       
lets close this b4 every1 kills Albino Punker ...i hereby conclude that this thread serves no real purpose in my life or any1 elses for that matter

Trade Mark
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:46 PM EDT (US)     41 / 58       
Albino dude...which planet are you from?

Albino Punker
Forumer

For lack of a better signature I have put this on
My Home Page [ Version 2.0 is being made ]
'Why is it that whenever I post the thread goes dead?' - Wise man
Played AoK since 2000, and I'm still crap at it.
XCrash_Fish
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:47 PM EDT (US)     42 / 58       
All in favor of HSM's preposal say AYE!

AYE!

On second thought, I dont want to see a closed post, but I think that people should be a little kinder to AP and give him the respect he deserves, and yes, he deserves a little respect for speaking his mind.

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.

[This message has been edited by XCrash_Fish (edited 04-02-2002 @ 10:50 PM).]

Bernardo
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:49 PM EDT (US)     43 / 58       
But then you wouldn't be in favor of HSM, since you're continuing..... What the hell....... AYE!
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:59 PM EDT (US)     44 / 58       
anyone here remember cookydog ? Or was that his name, or was it spelled different?

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
Frost_Giant
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 11:04 PM EDT (US)     45 / 58       
First of all, Giants are not childish...For example the Frost Giant temporarily freezes units so you othe units can kill them easier. Fire Giants can hurl fire balls at their enemies or engage them in hand-to-hand combt. Mountain Giants can pick up trees to use and clubs and is the most powerful MU in the game.

Second of all there are many good links to previews, movies, screenies of AOM on the AOMH homepage.

Thank you...that's all I have to say. I ran out of breath

I think Stone_Giant would agree with me, also I like white american cheese!

Proud templar of the FPH clan
Now, you must all agree with me, or I'm going to kill you. Got it?-TSD

The Road goes ever on and on. Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet.And whither then? I cannot say.

[This message has been edited by Frost_Giant (edited 04-02-2002 @ 11:10 PM).]

IV1066
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 00:21 AM EDT (US)     46 / 58       

Quote:

If you don't like AoM get out of here.

No, no, STAY!! Just be intelligent in your criticisms. ie, "the giants and minotaurs look so retarded" is unintelligent. Commenting that their not at the right scale, or something along those lines, is a good thing. What's the point of a forum if it's a bunch of people clapping each other on the back and agreeing?

btw, I'm too lazy to read this whole thread... so if what I say doesn't mesh with it... oh well.

Call me Hal, ok?
GNon
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 00:31 AM EDT (US)     47 / 58       
Albino Punker, just to point out. If you come into a AOM forum usually there are supporters of AOM here. The few that do not like it and have made a fuss have disapeared for a long while... (new ones sprout up but disapear after awhile).

So if you make a anti AOM post you usually don't get support here. If you made your comment in W3 you would get some support then it might be as lopsided as our opinion is here. So you could try a third party forum (Empire Earth? ). Then you would just get yelled at for making a off topic post.

Thanks for you correction though, now you've made a statement that i can understand, not just a what would seem as a crack shot remark to "anger" ppl off. IMHO, I like 3d engines better. But you know most 2d graphics come from stils of 3d scenes or characters.

Another note check this screen for the next 'Myst' game which is going to a 3d engine http://mudpieobsession.yoll.net/images/gallery/official2.jpg errr goto the link below and check the gallery
More info here http://www.mudpieobsession.77th.com/

redcoat: diffenatally wendslydale

Zone: GNon42 ESO: GNon
AOM MPT Tester VIP \\\\ !TEAL! ////
"Beware of the Shadows, they move when you're not looking."
" See. "
c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 03 April 2002 00:45 AM EDT (US)     48 / 58       

Quoted from ME:

lets close this b4 every1 kills Albino Punker ...i hereby conclude that this thread serves no real purpose in my life or any1 elses for that matter

Quoted from XCrash_Fish:

All in favor of HSM's preposal say AYE!

AYE

every1 say AYE in ur post

izzy
Mortal
(id: Ballista_Turtle)
posted 03 April 2002 00:56 AM EDT (US)     49 / 58       
I'd have to say WC3's graphics are pretty good, but their pretty sharp and unrealistic compared to AOM's. The trees are magnificent, and the natural disaster effects are tremendous!

I don't know how old of screenshots your looking at, or if you just need a pair of new glasses, but the graphics are good in my book.

~Izzy|HG Angel |Since August 2000~
~INTL|HeavenGames~
<('.')>
Psychic Ostrich
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 05:44 AM EDT (US)     50 / 58       
Wait a sec... errr, Ive got It! its chedder isnt it, c'mon, you can tell me, chedder, has to be...

The mountain giant is a bit dumb, have to agree.

Nearly everyone here is incredibly biased (Me included) clear thinking independant people like you eventually get used to it, or go insane.

SNIPPETS OF A CAFE CHAT:
Hey hi, damn, where is my... ...fridge, y'now, its been playing... ...with his nailclippers! I didnt know what to... ...weed, cos' i'm not a gardner, unlike Old... ...cushion, now it was... ...a bit soggy, with all his diarrhoea... ...experience with the theoretical side of... ...cats, oh they are doing... ...dancing with his best friend! now I would like to... ...grasp by the hilt you see? Anyway better be... ...going to lose his socks, silly... ...frog. Cya'...
Socrates
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 05:53 AM EDT (US)     51 / 58       
Some of the E3 era screenshots look a bit 'cartoony,' but other than that I don't know what you're talking about. I guess it's down to opinion.
Real
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 06:29 AM EDT (US)     52 / 58       
What on earth are you doing in this forum?

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
Socrates
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 06:39 AM EDT (US)     53 / 58       
He would appear to be posting.
shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 03 April 2002 07:43 AM EDT (US)     54 / 58       
*doesnt like any kind of cheese*

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
Real
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 08:03 AM EDT (US)     55 / 58       
edti: *nothing*

open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!

[This message has been edited by Real (edited 04-03-2002 @ 08:04 AM).]

shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 03 April 2002 08:06 AM EDT (US)     56 / 58       
you even spelled edit wrong

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
Real
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 08:12 AM EDT (US)     57 / 58       

lol

Don't say anything, I've a gun!

Zen
Ghost
(id: Angel Zen)
posted 03 April 2002 08:33 AM EDT (US)     58 / 58       
Trolling attempt... closing thread.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames