You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Question about TC's
Bottom
Topic Subject:Question about TC's
_King_Ean
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 09:04 AM EDT (US)         
I noticed in the buildings section on the info page said that TC's can only be made on the settlements and not anywhere on the map. I was wondering when there was confirmation of this because I usually look at all the previews and interviews but I don't remember seeing this.
AuthorReplies:
shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 03 April 2002 09:14 AM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
i believe it was said somewhere on the forums

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 09:30 AM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Ah see that little gem of info is AoMH exclusive from Thunder's infiltration of ES. You can find his account of his visit here.

Quote:

...having expanded my town after finding another settlement, which are those areas where you can build TCs.

Quote:

...jumped into Swinger's Underworld Passage, and was transported to the enemy side of the map where he had saved me a settlement area to build a new Town Center.

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
_King_Ean
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 10:47 AM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Thanks TSD, I have already read Thunder's article, and those quotes are somewhat ambiguous as they state that a settlement is *a* place to build another town center rather than the *only* place to build a TC. If you can build a new TC only on a settlement does that also mean that if your original TC is destroyed you must find a settlement to build a new one or can you build one wherever you want like in the other age games.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:01 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
Your original TC is built on a settlement. This was confirmed elsewhere. So to further reason, why do you start with a a settlement if all they do is increase pop?

Also we heard on default settings if you capture every settlement, you win...and if you've captured every settlement, your opponent can't [working on the theory that TC's are settlement only] build a TC and thus can't sustain a real econ. The reasoning for this was to prevent roaching, just hiding off in the corner to annoy the enemy.

Whereas if settlements were just 'nice' then it would be theoretically possible to win - minus that victory setting - with no settlements under your control. I mean sure, you might have less pop cap, but you could still win. So why make it instant victory by default if you don't have any settlements? That's just unfair.

And I think Thunder intentionally made them ambiguous, so the ES marketing wouldn't come and hunt him down. But we're too clever for him, aren't we?

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:25 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Now I see it, Thunder is secretly working as an advisor in the US foreign affairs department. That must be it.

The final say on the settlement solution will sure be intresting to read eventually. I would be positive to the anti-roaching effect, because it also means that it will be more beneficial to attack the main center of the enemy and for him to defend it. Instead of just going "yeah, attack that lump of wood instead of my dozen barracks churning out your doom, ha ha...". Adding some type of objectives other than "kill all" usually helps to make a game more interesting.

Then maybe there can be two types of "town centers", if we should call them that. This type of settlements that boosts pop cap, and freely placeable town centers that does not, but still allows for producing villagers and act as a gather point.

[This message has been edited by Kaziglu Bey (edited 04-03-2002 @ 11:32 AM).]

lief ericson
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:29 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
I hope they have TC's near all the gold sites.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:33 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
I have this mental image that settlements are going to be placed like your first TC is...in the middle of a big clearing sort of thing.

I hope not though.

TheShædøwDåwn
WhoAskedU
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:55 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
no, all the settlements are surrounded by thirty wolves, bears, ect... lol

actually here is an idea (that is ALSO diffrent from the AoK style) that this is how settlements and TCs should work:

Capitals can be built IN the 1st (or second) age, and are expensive...about about 50% more then a AoK TC...and cost some favor. However, to prevent Capital rushing during the 1st age (while still keeping your original Capital), is to make them ONLY be built on settlements. The Capitals produce villagers at regular speed and CAN attack with arrows.

Now, during the 3rd age, you can research a new building that is like a "cheaper" capital (a little bit cheaper then an AoK TC). This cheaper capitol builds villagers slower, and cannot attack. THIS building, of course, would be called the Town Center.

At my signal unleash HELL.
God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
•••winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"•••
•••••••Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!•••••••
People just complain about other people's Signatures because
they aren't smart enough to make their own.
Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 10:09 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
Will booming really be possible now that you can only build on settlements?
Socrates
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:47 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10       

Quote:

Will booming really be possible now that you can only build on settlements?

I'm thinking yes, though it won't be as neccessary and have such a high focus. ES is trying to take some emphasis of the economy race, I believe.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames