You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.28 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » MU vs standard army
Bottom
Topic Subject:MU vs standard army
mighij2
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 10:41 AM EDT (US)         
i got a Question about the proportion of the #MU's and the #of a original army's

so basicly will we see a regiment of Mu's with a few human regiments as support

or will we just see 1titan and a handfull of smaller MU's
with a human army as base

AuthorReplies:
Evil Dragon
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 10:44 AM EDT (US)     1 / 28       
According to what most people at ES are saying MU's will be hard to mass due to the favor cap, so you most likely see a handful of MU's with a large army of normal units.

(Although I'm sure someone will figure a way to mass them and kill everyone once the game's been out a while)

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works,
which God prepared in advance for us to do. -Ephesians 2:10
Past member of the orginal "Off-Topic Trio"!
Proud owner of an AoM alpha VIP!
Drummers Rock!

FPH | AoM Fropco

[This message has been edited by Evil Dragon (edited 04-03-2002 @ 10:45 AM).]

petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 10:46 AM EDT (US)     2 / 28       
the number of myth units you use is based on your strategy, if your archer rushing than youd probably not use ant myth units, but if your trying to counter archers then your army might be half anubites.

On average though my guess based on what ive heared is that an average myth unit will be equivelent to 3-4 normal units.

The favor cap does not affect the number of myth units you can build, since most good player would try to never have more than 50 favor on hand (its most efficient to spend resources as soon as you ge them). All the cap really does is affect how quickly you can get myth units, since you cant horde 500 and then spend it all in 10 seconds, you have to bve costantly gathering it, and using it.

[This message has been edited by petard_rusher (edited 04-03-2002 @ 10:51 AM).]

Bernardo
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:09 AM EDT (US)     3 / 28       
As it has been told to us, MUs are cosidered mostly a support units instead of the mass of your army. It's said Mus will be taken as more population than regular ones.

And MUs are weak to heroes so.....

Cyclops
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:26 AM EDT (US)     4 / 28       
Mu's arent really weak to hero's its just that heroes will be the strongest unit thats not an MU, that will be able to counter MU's
Bernardo
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 12:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 28       
That makes MUs weaker to Heroes, if they work as counter.....

Well, MUs are not all in game, and can't replave regular army.

Cyclops
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 12:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 28       
If you want to put it that way then yes they are weaker to MU's

Whoever reads what I said above should disregard whatever I said, because I probably don't know what im talking about.
Paulcool_me1
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 09:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 28       
It will be easier to mass produce myth units if you worship Zeus because his favor is capped at 200 instead of 100.

Proud Supporter of AoE, AoK, and AoM.
"Anything that hurts gameplay will be blindfolded and shot." - Greg "DeathShrimp" Street
The alpha's have arrived, congrats to all.
AoMC Staff
AoM alpha VIP
TheBlackKnight
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 09:11 PM EDT (US)     8 / 28       
MUs won't be possible to mass because:

A - they will not cost like 10 favor (think 50 or more).

B - they will take more than one pop slots.

C - favor won't gather as quick as the other resources.

D - they are not supposed to. one thing ES leaves as clear as water is that MUs are for support and not for doing all the fighting. They will be sure to participate in battles, only not in large numbers. you can send 2 minotaurs to your enemy town or you can keep one to support your defences. I'm sure ES will figure out a balanced way to make them both rare and a part of all games.

Bernardo
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 09:57 PM EDT (US)     9 / 28       
Yes MUs are supposed not to be ammassed I think you ccan't have over 20 MUs.
tHe fReAk
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 01:23 AM EDT (US)     10 / 28       
You can get more than 20 MU's, given enough time and that they are weaker MU's (i.e. anubites).

Swinger massed ~40 anubites, and was able to do so since 1) he totally out classed his opponents (a.k.a. Thunder) and 2) had all the time in the world to build them.

tHe fReAk

"It would be very irresponsible of me to give you my thoughts as you are clearly incapable of handling the ones you already have." - Wulfhere
"There's too many people in this thread who should have been shot in the face a long time ago." - The Outlaw Torn
Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 04 April 2002 03:42 AM EDT (US)     11 / 28       
Ummm, he didn't have 40...I think 30 would be exagerating a little too. The reason he was able to train so many was because his town was secure, he was only being raided by me (in a 2v2 game) and I was being hit by his partner. He was also Egyptian, meaning that his favor income was steady and he had all or nearly all of the monuments built. (the partner I was playing with was a player who even I beat up in a previous game)

So, given completely off the wall skill levels (n00b vs an Xpert) you may see quite a few of the cheaper MUs. (regular units will still dominate for much of the game) If teams are semi-equal, regular units dominate.

Massing MUs is difficult because 1) favor takes time to gather and you have that rez cap 2) pop limit, MUs can take up multiple pop slots

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 04-04-2002 @ 03:45 AM).]

Real
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 06:10 AM EDT (US)     12 / 28       
Then I guess anubites only take one.
1) 'cause he'd that much of 'em
2) 'cause they look weak and lil as humans

Well, so normally there aren't that much, and sometimes it'd also be fun if there're that much weak ones, as long as it doesn't happen often.

And I think you wouldn't be able to have 30 Minotaurs ie.
They somehow look like 2 pop.

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
mighij2
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 11:47 AM EDT (US)     13 / 28       
now but i'm taking about 5minos
togeter with some soldiers
those minos should be able to take care off 15-20 men if you micro them and with a bit support of the soldiers and a archer of 4
Real
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 11:53 AM EDT (US)     14 / 28       
Minos= Minotaurs?!

In the Zeus showcazzzzz* they said u can make 3 or 4 of them in a normal game.

*Disclamer:The author (Real) is very exited because of the tomorrow coming Thor showcase and can not calm down himself.

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 12:07 PM EDT (US)     15 / 28       
maybe its just me , but the idea MUs taking more than 1 pop slot seems incrediable stupid. I mean if an MU takes 4 pop slots, but can only kill 4 regular unis, than its alot easier just to get the regular units, making MUs take up more than 1 pop slot just means that in long games they will not be very usefull. Unless of course an MU that is equivilent to say 5 regular units takes less than 5 pop slots, but if this is not the case than MUs will not be used often.
Bernardo
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 12:38 PM EDT (US)     16 / 28       
Well, but as Thunder said: "30 MUs could be too little exagereted", so I think 20 or 25 could be logical quatities of MUs.
SandyMan
Immortal
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 04 April 2002 01:41 PM EDT (US)     17 / 28       
Yeah, 20-25 could be a reasonable number IF your enemies don't come attack you throughout the whole game AND you are one of the top players of AoM up against a total noob. Which is, you all may recall, the situation that occurred in that game of Thunder's.

I once saw a game of AoM in which a player built about 30 trebs as his whole army and used them to fight and defeat enemy armies. But I wouldn't recommend it as a common tactic.

[This message has been edited by ES_Sandyman (edited 04-04-2002 @ 01:42 PM).]

Bernardo
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 01:52 PM EDT (US)     18 / 28       
At least we agree on something Sandyman, well, if someone attacked me with 30 trebuchtes in AOK, I'll then send 40-80 Paladins to kill the trebuchets.
Cyclops
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 01:59 PM EDT (US)     19 / 28       
Theres trebs in AOM, SWEET, But which civ will have them.

Whoever reads what I said above should disregard whatever I said, because I probably don't know what im talking about.
Bernardo
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 02:35 PM EDT (US)     20 / 28       
In my opinion all, or if not Greeks, look, Egyptians have Siege Towers, Norse too, Greeks too, Egyptians have catapults, Greeks too. So maybe trebs would be able to all or at least Egyptians and Greeks.
redcoat219
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 02:37 PM EDT (US)     21 / 28       
cyclops there is no trebs in aom sandy was just giving a example of trebs in aok saying u wouldnt make a whole army out of them normaly just like in aom u wouldnt normaly have a whole army of anubites
Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 03:37 PM EDT (US)     22 / 28       
actually redcoat he said AoM...maybe its a type or the Norse have trebs.... I say the former but the latter is a possibility!

[This message has been edited by Imperialarc (edited 04-04-2002 @ 03:38 PM).]

petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 05:26 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28       
im 98% sure he meant to say AOK, since trebs werent invented till over a thousand years after most of these mythologies died out.
redcoat219
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 05:30 PM EDT (US)     24 / 28       
there is no trebs in aom one of the ES people already told us
Bernardo
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 05:39 PM EDT (US)     25 / 28       
Better for me I hate trebs.
LongBow
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 05:47 PM EDT (US)     26 / 28       
Hmm..I have never before heard that MUs took more than one pop slot. Makes sense though.

TVB_LongBow/VinegaryFlea
"I hat longbow"--Stark_Zero
TVB CLAN
"Because you're the voice of reason, and plus I figured you'd like the blinking light on top."--_parlous_provost
Please note that LongBow and Associates Condones, Practices and will train people to flame. It also helps promote any drug use that could possibly be amusing, Russian roulette and Gambling
Bernardo
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 07:04 PM EDT (US)     27 / 28       
Sometimes is good to read units' section.
Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 07:15 PM EDT (US)     28 / 28       
Redcoat, I just remembered that..thanks for jogging my memory.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames