You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Stop the flush/trush/drush/grush/smush/???? stratagies
Bottom
Topic Subject:Stop the flush/trush/drush/grush/smush/???? stratagies
rs_fabolous
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 02:22 PM EDT (US)         
I am sorry to all of you who hate me for saying this but I, as well as many others I'm sure, would like to see more elements entered into the game that allow players to do more to defend against all the gay fuedal/dark age rush stratagies people have been using in AOK.

Seriously, it takes so much out of the game. Many of you, I'm sure, live for those strats and they have, therefore, become much too prevalent in online games. It's gotten to the point that every game, with 1700+ players, is a rush game... rush or be rushed and die.

I've played over 1,000 games of AOK and am 1800+ on more than 1 name but my experience is that games with people doing fuedal age rushes just ruin it for me. What do you guys think?

AuthorReplies:
Coldline
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 02:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21       
Yea, i agree, aok:tc is all about rushing. there is little other strategy that is used. but ES is doing extensive playtesting to make sure that doesn't happen. sure there will be rushing still but it won't be like it is now on the zone (or a few months ago i should say). its a shame that only half the game gets played.
JackalRat
HG Alumnus
(id: BrandNewCar)
posted 03 April 2002 02:44 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21       
A tip, recently until my zone became corrupted but that's another story...

Try Green Arabia 1v1 go Mongols or a other old fast castle civ.. when you go to hunt boars build the house in line between two areas of forest that way you can wall with houses all the way literally I've done this before and whiped a player clean rated, if its not easy to wall your map then maybe it shouldn't be done.. but Ga is good for easy walling fast castling and boom+ knight+ monk + rams .
Try it, I also recommend playing team games of Islands.. 4v4 in Medieval Siege.. Island games are the best for overall skill I think as there are so many strategies open to you.

petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 03:09 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21       

Quote:

A tip, recently until my zone became corrupted but that's another story...

heh, something really should be done about that cr@P, everytime i play rated there are so many drop kickers that i leave after a few games. MY last atempt to play rated i got 5 incomplete in less than 15 games, and i never dropped.

mighij2
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 04:23 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21       
well currently i'm thinking about the greeks Vs vikings matchup
cause when greeks choose zeus and then athena they can field some minos(thnx to their easy and double favor)
and because most fighting starts in the 2nd age the vikings won't have ant heroes yet(when the minos come) and they are also a very inf intensive and the minos seems desinged for killing infantry and cav is most likly available from the 3d age so i wonder how vikings will deal with that
offcourse some of these thoughts are based on AOE en all the others but i'm maybe overestimating minos although they seem pretty sturdy in the movies
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 09:23 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21       
I'm not a big fan of rushing but to become a good player you need to addapt. If you don't like it just play fortress or BF. I'm not offending anyone, I'm just posting my opinions. I'm sure there's a lot of people who don't like rushing and I also agree that we loose most cool aspects of the game playing only the first ages.
I don't really like playing in rated rooms because I always loose to guys who memorised build orders and hotkeys better than I do.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 10:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21       

Quote:

A source very very deep within a certain company has revealed the overall gameplay paradigm for a certain game of interest for this site. You won't find this info anywhere else and for this point in the game's development, it is very groundbreaking. Well... wait no longer... here it is straight from the secret source (cough Swinger...):

"We all figured out from the AOK and AOK:TC experience that all of the players out there just fell in love with playing a thousand arabia games in a row and seeing feudal warfare in all of them. All of those skirmishers and archers, those being the only really useful units in the game, really captivated the hearts of all those players out there and we've definitely taken notice. So much in fact that we've tried our hardest to eclipse that and we think everyone will be extremely pleased! I can't tell you everything... but just imagine every game and it starts out the same way, this is even in the first age, and you get to use the same unit and its use will determine the outcome of most of the game, making all of those other units and powers meaningless! Monotonous gameplay, baby, that's where it's at!"

Woah... now that is some interesting stuff there folks. The X reporting to you on 4/1/02.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 03 April 2002 11:10 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21       

Quoted from mighij2:

well currently i'm thinking about the greeks Vs vikings matchup cause when greeks choose zeus and then athena they can field some minos(thnx to their easy and double favor)
and because most fighting starts in the 2nd age the vikings won't have ant heroes yet(when the minos come) and they are also a very inf intensive and the minos seems desinged for killing infantry and cav is most likly available from the 3d age so i wonder how vikings will deal with that
offcourse some of these thoughts are based on AOE en all the others but i'm maybe overestimating minos although they seem pretty sturdy in the movies

vikings rnt in AOM...if u didnt know

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:12 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21       
Well, he implies the Norse culture.
c r e e z y
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:14 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21       
ahhhh ok i c

SandyMan
Immortal
(id: ES_Sandyman)
posted 04 April 2002 01:28 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21       
Definition of a rush: someone attacking me before I'm ready.
Ozymandias_2001
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 03:09 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21       
I agree completely. Meanwhile play KoTH or 3v3+ games in AoC whiole you wait for the game to come out.

"Look on my works ye mighty, and despair" Inscription on the statue of Ozymandias
"Ireland is one country. Any other concepcion ignores the facts of history and geography" An Taoiseach Sen Lemass
"Tiocfaidh r l!!"
Kumar Shah
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 03:51 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21       

Removing the above said startegies will remove the room for competition...

If you are intrested in non-rush games such games are played..play DM...host 3v3 no rush till castle games and many would come. But then there are also DM rushes...

Whatever defenses are included...ways would be found to rush....catch the player off-guard that is.

What you gonna have...to stop a rush except have no units for first 2 ages or give cheap and extremely powerful towers.

Towers - without Murder Holes?? Archers at their bottoms can fire and can be taken down easily with some villies.

no Units - thats not possible.

I too didn't use to like the rush earlier...but If u gonna play u gotta learn it and do it. Do it a few times and you will like it.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
Jotun
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 07:26 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21       
Seeing that the cultures are very different from each other, this should not be a problem.

If you are playing Egyptian vs. Egyptian, it will probably be almost impossible to rush, as the Egyptians are defensively minded.

On the other side of the spectrum, you have the Norse. The fun will probably lie in rushing.

They sended us away to theez big buldeengs all dey And fur wut They sez that it is so we can get taughted I says Iv lernd enuf
AzN
Forumer
(id: AznKnightmare)
posted 04 April 2002 08:03 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21       
Someone will always invent some ttype of rush no matter how hard the developers try to stop them. So I think ES should not concentrate to stop the rush, instead make it harder but more effective. This includes unit balance and counter bonuses.

Angel AzN | News Editor Lead EH, HeavenGames LLC
"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" -Admiral Farragut, Civil War Battle of Mobile Bay
HeavenGames Empires Heaven | 3DMark05 Score 3DMark03 Score | WearYELLOW
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 05 April 2002 02:27 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21       

Quote:

Definition of a rush: someone attacking me before I'm ready.

Hehe.

In other words, read: You cannot remove rushing from RTS games.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
izzy
Mortal
(id: Ballista_Turtle)
posted 05 April 2002 03:43 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21       
There's an easy way of countering a rush, just build military units as soon as possible.

~Izzy|HG Angel |Since August 2000~
~INTL|HeavenGames~
<('.')>
Jus
Mortal
posted 05 April 2002 04:50 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21       
Rushing will always be in a RTS game. There's no way to remove it because in a game there will always be a faster and a slower player.
Questionaire
Mortal
posted 05 April 2002 05:00 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21       
TAUNT: "Ah, being rushed!"

Im' Here & there & everywhere...

[This message has been edited by Captain_Aneurism (edited 13-13-1645 @ 00:88 RZ)]
[This message has been edited by No one in particular (edited 19-19-3152@ 25:61 MP)]
[This message has been edited by a bored invidual (edited 00-00-566 BC @ 11:11 LX)]
vladimir87
Mortal
posted 05 April 2002 07:41 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21       
Your trying to get rid of rushing? Come on, rushing is practically all the action there is in the first ages!!!

Wihout rushing, what will you do in hte first ages? More economy focus?!?!?

I want UNPREDICTABILITY in the rushing too, so every new game is different. I think you are dissapointed that every game was the same, people rushing the same way and doing the same thing. Now, "rush or be rushed". Dont say this is a bad thing, because personally I think it is easier to boom and defend against a rush than to successfully cripple your opponent with one. It takes the battle away from your base, which is exactly where it should be.

I agree wth you though that games were predctable, but I think rushing should be as big or a bigger part of the game...

-Vladimir87

black_beserker
Mortal
posted 05 April 2002 02:37 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21       
Wow it has been ages since i posted on this forum!

I don't really think anyone wants to get rid of rushing in Aom. It is a very important aspect of the game, and a very legitament strategy. However, it should not be the only strategy. Defensive, lategame civilizations (egyptians) should still be viable choices. In Aoc, very few people played any of the defensive, civs that became powerful in the imperial age, like the koreans and saracens, in normal random map games. They simply couldn't keep up with the faster civs and never got to take advantage of their late game bonuses. Strong, fully upgraded, imperial age units weren't even factors in most games. I really hope Aom isn't like this. Rushing and defending until a little later in game should be equally viable strategies.

c r e e z y
Mortal
posted 05 April 2002 03:58 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21       
welcome back

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames