You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » A few questions/suggestions
Bottom
Topic Subject:A few questions/suggestions
DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 03 April 2002 03:58 PM EDT (US)         
I've been wondering about a few things.

1. The ai. I think maybe 2 or 3 different AIs should be included. The standard one just didn't seem enough for good scenarios. I know you can download them, but you include the standard one, a defensive one, and an offensive ai?

2. The terrain. In AoK, archers could easily shoot enemies behind big rocks, over walls, uphill, downhill, etc. Will it be easier for your troops to actually be able to take cover behind these? It doesn't seem realistic that archers could shoot perfects over walls and hit the enemey...they shouldn't ever really be able to see them.

3. Line of sight. Will everything in a unit's area be visible like in AoK? It doesn't seem like your units should be able to see whats happening over an enemy wall, or behind large buildings. Maybe there can be an option to allow this.

4. If #2 is correct, and units could take cover...maybe villagers or something could dig small ditches for the units to hide in. Nothing hard about it, just make it like they're building a building, except there becomes something that looks like a hole.

DK
AuthorReplies:
combat_chuck
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 04:05 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
I think they should have diifferet AI's for death match and random map. I think they should observe players playing for real and have the AI kind of like that. The computer shouldn't be biulding walls first thing in a death match. The computer should relise that it can biuld up a big army when it has a lot of resourses and it should attack horse with pikemen...ect.,ect,ect.

I also think that archers should not be able to hurt some things at all like walls and rams...I think the textures was the biggest fualt about the terrain in AOK.

"Being populare is lame"-FIF
DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 03 April 2002 09:22 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
Thats too...

DK
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 09:30 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
I totally disagree with all you said execep for the ai thing. no offence.

Imagine you have a large wall and there's infantry enemy units that are hitting it. you would just have to wait for them to take it down or would you just delete the wall and let them in? Leave the game as it is.
This kind of stuff is great for games like comandos and deperados but it would take too mush out of RTSs.

Socrates
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 09:45 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16       

Quote:

1. The ai. I think maybe 2 or 3 different AIs should be included. The standard one just didn't seem enough for good scenarios. I know you can download them, but you include the standard one, a defensive one, and an offensive ai?

Sounds good, but I'm hoping that ES has a better soultion. An AI that responds differently and appropriatly in different situations would be better.

Quote:

2. The terrain. In AoK, archers could easily shoot enemies behind big rocks, over walls, uphill, downhill, etc. Will it be easier for your troops to actually be able to take cover behind these?

I'm a fan of realism, but enough is enough. This just wouldn't be fun.

Quote:

It doesn't seem realistic that archers could shoot perfects over walls and hit the enemey...they shouldn't ever really be able to see them.

EE had that feature and it worked rather well. I still prefer being able to hit units behind walls.

Quote:

3. Line of sight. Will everything in a unit's area be visible like in AoK? It doesn't seem like your units should be able to see whats happening over an enemy wall, or behind large buildings. Maybe there can be an option to allow this.

You could half line of sight behind enemy walls, but with all these flying units, is it really going to matter?

Quote:

4. If #2 is correct, and units could take cover...maybe villagers or something could dig small ditches for the units to hide in. Nothing hard about it, just make it like they're building a building, except there becomes something that looks like a hole.

An interesting idea, but it sounds like it belongs in Stronghold, not AoM.

Bernardo
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 09:46 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Pw_DarkKnight Brazilianrider's right, leae that aspects (Walls) as the game is, ok?

Look, I don't like the idea of holes personally I think it makes game real no fun.

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
"Anything that interferes with gameplay will be taken out and shot" - Deathshrimp

AI maybe could use more variation, but I'm sure Mike Kidd is doing a great job with it.

As for line of sight being obscured by walls and archers not being able to fire over things, that really interferes with fundamentals of gameplay, to my mind.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 03 April 2002 11:35 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
i agree w/ 1 2 3...not 4...it doesnt seem "agey"...for 2/3 i think thatd b hard to do mayb...i like it how it is...id wanna play the changes and b able to change back if they were bad

Bernardo
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:52 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
IMAGINE NOT BEING ABLE TO SHOOT OVER BUILDINGS OR TREES ETC.?

I think that would be horrible and totally unfun.

Socrates
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 11:56 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16       

Quote:

IMAGINE NOT BEING ABLE TO SHOOT OVER BUILDINGS OR TREES ETC.?
I think that would be horrible and totally unfun.

Ever play EE?

Bernardo
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 00:05 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
No, I've never played EE, really not interested.

Socrates, little question:

What do you have against me?

Real
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 09:51 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
In this thread you spoke also about shooting arrows over walls eh?

Well, first I also thought it isn't good, but now look, there aren't people on the walls which could shoot at attackers , so they must shoot over it.

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
Real
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 09:52 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
eDiT: nOtHiNg

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!

[This message has been edited by Real (edited 04-04-2002 @ 09:53 AM).]

Socrates
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 09:59 AM EDT (US)     13 / 16       

Quote:

What do you have against me?

Err, nothing. I was just asking because in EE you cannot shoot units behind walls. I prefer being able to, but this feature wasn't horrible and totally unfun.

Bernardo
Mortal
posted 04 April 2002 12:42 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
Well I said asked you that because you often quote what I say nd make a question about it, sorry.

Well it could be unfun to me if I could not shoot over walls.

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 05 April 2002 03:45 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16       

Quote:

Ever play EE?

Parabolic ranged units could still fire over walls, any ranged unit could fire over a wall if at an elevation of one tile or more above the wall itself, and any units could fire past forests and cliffs.

The only non parabolic units in EE were gun inf, gun cav, tanks, AT's and combat cybers. The other units...archers, cannons, artillery etc were all parabolic.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
izzy
Mortal
(id: Ballista_Turtle)
posted 05 April 2002 03:54 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
*sigh*

People can't choose between realism and fun, huh?

~Izzy|HG Angel |Since August 2000~
~INTL|HeavenGames~
<('.')>
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames