You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.33 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » The GP in new ss
Bottom
Topic Subject:The GP in new ss
Zakthegreat
Mortal
posted 06 May 2002 04:28 PM EDT (US)         
In the newest screenshot, that is not just snow falling because of the scn editor, but it is the snow storm GP (the one that I said was in the Norse flyover, but no one believed me that is was in the fly over, or that it even existed). For all you that don't know what it does it is a GP that stop all unit creating and maybe even the movement of units in an area, so it is a way to gain time for attacking your enemy.

P.S. do you like my sig :-)

0 0 0
1st place in Norse Mythology Quiz (BrandNewCar's)(the hardest one of the 3)
Owner of 3D Studio Max
Loyal to Ensemble Studios
I am Loki
U.S.A., AOM, ES, HG RULE!!!!

[This message has been edited by Zakthegreat (edited 05-06-2002 @ 04:30 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 06 May 2002 06:59 PM EDT (US)     1 / 33       
I also think that an enemy is using the gp allowing them to control the animals...theyre attacking with wolves.

DK
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 06 May 2002 11:58 PM EDT (US)     2 / 33       
One of the reasons the 3D engine was used was to get weather effects. I doubt they will be producing snow effects like that just for a GP...as I said a while ago in the discussion about the Norse flyover video, the chances are the weather effect might have been triggered as a god power because at that stage of development, it was easier to do...

I'll be very surprised if AoM doesn't have weather effects that can be triggered in the scen editor.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
Zakthegreat
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 05:15 AM EDT (US)     3 / 33       
Sorry for arguing TDS, but ES them self said there would be a snow storm (i think it is the one called "Frost") GP. THERE IS A SNOW STORM (FROST) GP, IT IS NOT JUST A SCN TRIGGER!!!!!!!

you can find the frost GP on the ES Thor page.

0 0 0
Owner of 3D Studio Max
I am Loki

[This message has been edited by Zakthegreat (edited 05-07-2002 @ 05:23 AM).]

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 05:41 AM EDT (US)     4 / 33       
The Frost GP freezes enemy units in place in exactly the same way as the Frost Giant's attack...there wasn't any mention of a snow storm.

Besides, I don't see any frozen units in that screenshot. You can see what frozen units look like now in this screenshot from the Poseidon showcase.

All I'm saying is that snow does not mean a GP.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 05-07-2002 @ 06:05 AM).]

Zakthegreat
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 09:57 AM EDT (US)     5 / 33       
ok i was wrong about the frost GP, but why, if it is just a trigger, is there snow gathering up in piles around the buildings (and acording to the Norse fly over i just love going back to that the same thing is going on, and at the speed it was in the norse fly over it would cover the whole building in no time), you would think that was because of a GP that effects the buildings.

0 0 0
Owner of 3D Studio Max
I am Loki
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 10:09 AM EDT (US)     6 / 33       
I'd say it's not affecting the buildings at all and is just eye candy that's been added seperately to make it look cool.

TheShdwDwn
The Pizza Guy
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 10:12 AM EDT (US)     7 / 33       
That is definitely the snow storm GP in the Noese flyover movie. Lasts for 60 seconds, shows who cast it and where. Although I never knew what it did.

The Pizza Guy
My job is to stuff your guts with pizza
ESO Name: ThePizzaGuy

"A nerd is someone who wouldnt go to a party cause hes too busy studying. A geek is someone who would go to a party but would get several wedgies. Which are you?" - My 7 year old bro

The Pizza Guy
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 10:14 AM EDT (US)     8 / 33       
And that screenshot looked the same as the movie. It cant be just for eye-candy.

The Pizza Guy
My job is to stuff your guts with pizza
ESO Name: ThePizzaGuy

"A nerd is someone who wouldnt go to a party cause hes too busy studying. A geek is someone who would go to a party but would get several wedgies. Which are you?" - My 7 year old bro

petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 11:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 33       
I think there may actually be 2 GPs here, we already knowabout the snowstorm which makes building unable to produce for acertain length of time. But the other GP seems to be something which spaws player controlable wolves.
pdwxyz
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 11:19 AM EDT (US)     10 / 33       
sounds good to me
Zakthegreat
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 11:31 AM EDT (US)     11 / 33       
I think this will be a long fight between me and TDS about the GP, we will know when the Beta (it should be coming out soon ) or the game itself comes out who was wright.
No offence TDS, but that last argumentative was not very good , as some of my class mates would say "BUSTED" j/k. I still think my idea of GP and it being a snow storm . Well we will see soon i hope.

0 0 0
Owner of 3D Studio Max
I am Loki

[This message has been edited by Zakthegreat (edited 05-07-2002 @ 11:34 AM).]

Zakthegreat
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 05:00 PM EDT (US)     12 / 33       
now that is funney, just as we where talking about the frost GP they show it in a new movie .

so that is waht the frost GP looks like cool.

0 0 0
Owner of 3D Studio Max
I am Loki
Goldfinger
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 08:19 PM EDT (US)     13 / 33       
"I also think that an enemy is using the gp allowing them to control the animals...theyre attacking with wolves."

the wolves are DEFINATELY put in for eye candy! This is not an ingame screenshot! They put them in to make it look "cool".

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 10:45 PM EDT (US)     14 / 33       

Quote:

No offence TDS, but that last argumentative was not very good , as some of my class mates would say "BUSTED" j/k. I still think my idea of GP and it being a snow storm . Well we will see soon i hope.

So you're saying ES aren't going to put any eye candy in AoM at all.

Yes, that makes sense. After all, that's what they've been priding the 3D engine on.

TheShdwDwn
Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 07 May 2002 10:59 PM EDT (US)     15 / 33       
It is hard to say....I say its the snow storm GP but could be eye candy. But again, its mainly the important buildings...like the towers, TC, etc...that seem to be covered. Just like in the Norse flyover may I add...

As for the wolves, that could possibly be that god power we heard about where you can send packs of wolves into a town and let them murder.

[This message has been edited by Imperialarc (edited 05-07-2002 @ 11:01 PM).]

Zakthegreat
Mortal
posted 08 May 2002 02:59 AM EDT (US)     16 / 33       

Quote:

So you're saying ES aren't going to put any eye candy in AoM at all.

no not at all i know they will put in eye candy but i just think the snow is a GP.

0 0 0
Owner of 3D Studio Max
I am Loki
Head Cheese
Mortal
posted 08 May 2002 06:03 AM EDT (US)     17 / 33       
The SS was made in scenario editor, that is the only reason for the wolves. I don't think that you could get that many wolves concentrated in one spot, and if it was a wolf summoning GP I'd want more wolves than that! All the SS's so far (except the Loki interface one) have been from the editor, apparently because the graphics are better.

I also think that it would be hard to come up with an effect for a snowstorm GP that makes sense. The snow is definately eye candy, I remember someone from ES saying that the game would have weather effects included; such as e.g. snow.

"Sometimes I really think people ought to have to pass a proper exam before they're allowed to be parents. Not just the practical, I mean." - Susan Sto Helit
"It's not fair to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."
Zakthegreat
Mortal
posted 08 May 2002 10:14 AM EDT (US)     18 / 33       

Quote:

The snow is definately eye candy

just remember you cant say "definately" about thing in AOM yet, they might be changed or they might not be what you are "definate" about.

0 0 0
Owner of 3D Studio Max
I am Loki
Dagobert
Mortal
posted 08 May 2002 10:45 AM EDT (US)     19 / 33       
I may repeat what many have said before : the snow storm is a GP, it is visible in the norse flyby (written on the screen when the (blue) player use it).

But...

1) I'm not sure if it's effects are well known (besides putting the pizza guy late for an hour and eat your pizza cold). The suggestion that it stops the creation of units for a while is cool though...

2) It's not in any showcase, so we don't know if it is there to stay.

la guerre comme la guerre
Hell
Mortal
posted 08 May 2002 11:10 AM EDT (US)     20 / 33       
Yes, now I've seen it in action again, I believe it's a GP too.

And it is ... Thor's GP. Why? Well, because in the AVI see a X Norse Culture in the Archaic age (look at the top: one GP and there stands Archaic Age).

Now, we know Odin has the Great Hunt and Loki has something red. This leaves Thor. The connection between Thor and snow is not clear. Ull, his son, was a snow-god. But Thor??? His only weather-domain concerned thunder.

Ull was also a hunting and winter god, so he's quite a male Skadi. I'd doubt that he'd be implemented. He could have the Walking Woods GP, since the taxus-tree was dedicated to him. You never know.

Hel, Lady of Darkenss
She's the Bottomless Pit,
The never-ending struggle to release that which is now denied.
She's the keeper of all that is hidden, secluded and forbidden,
The mistress of the locked door.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 08 May 2002 11:15 AM EDT (US)     21 / 33       
You only need to look at the existing GP's and who they match up to to see that the nature of a GP generally doesn't have anything to do with the god. Hera has the Lightning storm for instance. Hermes with Ceasefire. Poseidon with Animal magnet. Etc.

I don't see any mythological basis for any of those GP's.

TheShdwDwn
Hell
Mortal
posted 08 May 2002 11:18 AM EDT (US)     22 / 33       
Ok, I've found the connection between Thor and snow/ice:

Thor used his hammer Mjolnir to break the ice/snow and by that he made it possible for spring to arrive on earth.

But why bring snow, when he actually got rid of it??? Gameplay > Realism. I know. I was just wondering.

Hel, Lady of Darkenss
She's the Bottomless Pit,
The never-ending struggle to release that which is now denied.
She's the keeper of all that is hidden, secluded and forbidden,
The mistress of the locked door.
Zakthegreat
Mortal
posted 08 May 2002 02:07 PM EDT (US)     23 / 33       
this is to Dagobert

All of us that think it is a GP know that , but thoes other people like TSD that say it is not just wont think other wise, so we just gota wait fot the beta of the game to know .

0 0 0
Owner of 3D Studio Max
I am Loki
Stone_Giant
Mortal
posted 08 May 2002 02:37 PM EDT (US)     24 / 33       
Snowstorm = The Norse equivalent to locusts?

Stone_Giant

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 02:17 AM EDT (US)     25 / 33       
(Top) Sorry Zak, turns out you were right.

I was looking at the Norse Flyover video just before and I noticed something else this time. Not only do you get the light change and snow coming down, but at the 33 second mark, you can see snow drifts appear next to the fortress, the exact same thing that's happened in the screen. So evidently it is a GP and evidently still is in.

I'm sure other people may have noticed this, but no one pointed it out to me damnit.

TheShdwDwn

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 05-17-2002 @ 02:21 AM).]

petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 08:30 AM EDT (US)     26 / 33       

Quote:

I'm sure other people may have noticed this, but no one pointed it out to me damnit.

Yeah, only like 20 times...

[This message has been edited by petard_rusher (edited 05-17-2002 @ 08:31 AM).]

jefflam
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 08:55 AM EDT (US)     27 / 33       
I'm pretty sure its civ is Thor. As the movie name I got is something like GS_THOR03

Thor is there..coinceidence? GS...gamespot? Dunno..

Joking leads to anger.
Anger leads to hate.
Hate leads to suffering.
I'm Joking.
l3litZer0

Dagobert
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 10:07 AM EDT (US)     28 / 33       
Great, TSD looked back at the Norse flyby and found out about this GP.

Is there anything else to discuss??

How about the effect of the GP, some nice suggestions have been made, but is there anything confirmed so far??

la guerre comme la guerre
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 12:04 PM EDT (US)     29 / 33       

Quote:

Yeah, only like 20 times...

Yeah, the text saying 'snowstorm', not any correlation to the screenshot.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure its civ is Thor. As the movie name I got is something like GS_THOR03
Thor is there..coinceidence? GS...gamespot? Dunno..

That's a different video...the GP in that video is Frost, which belongs to Skadi. The video in question (norse flyover) is on the ES site downloads page.

TheShdwDwn
Zakthegreat
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 03:19 PM EDT (US)     30 / 33       
i am happy we did not have to wait till the game came out to settle this, i do not know what to say to you TDS (i was going to say dont feel bad, but that would make me look like an a** hole) i think you TDS know what i want to say.
I will not rub it in that i was right.
I must admit that was fun arguing with you .

0 0 0
Owner of 3D Studio Max
I am Loki
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 04:14 PM EDT (US)     31 / 33       
maybe there are two seperate GPs???
One is a snow storm
one is a freeze thing.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
jefflam
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 09:36 PM EDT (US)     32 / 33       
Oops, my mistake! Yeah I also have the Norse Flyover video. And yeah, the snowstorm was activated first then ice piles start to appear.

-Skies darkened
-Snow drop heavily
-Snow piles (or bergs..) appear randomly(should be?)

Joking leads to anger.
Anger leads to hate.
Hate leads to suffering.
I'm Joking.
l3litZer0

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 09:38 PM EDT (US)     33 / 33       
They don't appear randomly, they appear around buildings...

TheShdwDwn
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames