You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » "Conversions" - what ES_Death_Shrimp said...
Bottom
Topic Subject:"Conversions" - what ES_Death_Shrimp said...
RF_Gandalf
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 09:38 AM EDT (US)         
In his recent posting on this forum, Greg Street aka ES_Death_Shrimp stated that:

"Don't get be wrong--we could have solved all of these problems, given enough time. However, there are more exciting features we would rather have spent our time on, like God Powers and supporting 50 units on a screen in a 3D engine. You can't take a game as huge as AOK and bolt all of AOM's features on top of it. You end up with a titantic mess. Something has to give, and conversion seemed like an easy candidate.

...but we didn't delete the code, because we needed it for something else. "

After thinking of this and remembering some features of AOK, I believe that he was referring to the idea of a "Boarding Galley". In AOKTC, there was a unit available only through using the #const number feature in a random map script called the "ABGAL" - short for Armored Boarding GALley. This was described by DS as 'the monk of the seas' after a scripter named MrED used this feature in a random map script called Sea Haven. There were some shortcomings in its use - as long as a player kept moving his ship, an ABGAL could not convert it. ES thought the feature was not good so it was not included in the game other than as above.

Now, we know from looking at some of the screenshots and from discussion here that the idea of boarding enemy ships seems real in AOM, so I strongly believe that this "conversion code" that Greg Street was referring to was converting enemy ships by boarding them and taking them over. Obviously this will work differently than in AOK with the ABGAL but the idea is similar, and what better programming than to use the idea of conversion. There will likely be some military action involving units on the boats from what we have heard.

Here is a link to the discussion of the ABGAL on the MFO Random Script forum from January 30, 2001: http://www.rtscentral.com/readPosting.asp?PostingId=258137 (Note that many of the graphics links in MrED's post are broken due to a change in the file library system at MFO since then)

If you want to find and try the rms script for AOK:TC 'Sea Haven' by MrED to try the ABGAL you will have to click on the link that is the title 'Sea Haven' in Mr Ed's original post available via the link above.

Let me know what you think of this!!

[This message has been edited by RF_Gandalf (edited 05-10-2002 @ 09:46 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Bernardo
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 09:41 AM EDT (US)     1 / 24       
I agree on converting enemy ships by boarding them, what I dislike is the use of priests to convert units.

Bernardo
c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 10 May 2002 09:44 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24       
boardin ships would b dumb this isnt Age of Pirates

shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 10 May 2002 09:47 AM EDT (US)     3 / 24       
would like boarding ships.
twould bring a little excitement to naval combat

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
RF_Gandalf
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 10:02 AM EDT (US)     4 / 24       
In the pre-cannon era, combat on the seas WAS frequently done by boarding other ships and engaging in hand-to-hand combat while any archers on board tried to also join in. Yes, there were ramming ships and yes, there were occasional instances of fire ships (blazing ships cast loose into enemy fleets, not the AOK:TC 'greek fire' type of ships).

I think the idea of garrisoning troops on ships to increase strength and use in boarding is interesting. Would love to see it work!

c r e e z y
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 10:04 AM EDT (US)     5 / 24       
i dont think thatd work...would the ship b able to hold a mountain giant? a fire giant? a hydra?...u could only really use RUs and thatd b kinda borin...i think the boardin ships isnt really a good idea and like said b4...there is no concept of conversion in AOM

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 10:12 AM EDT (US)     6 / 24       
Well we already know that there's a melee attack ship that uses the artwork of a Greek warship boarding type, so Gandalf's idea makes sense.

Plus I liked those little boarding ship things, I used them in a custom scenario once. (Not that I ever did anything wth it...all my scenarios were crap.)

Although, when DS mentioned the code being used for something else, I would have thought it referred to the Mummy, since we know it 'touches' enemy units in order to turn them into 'controllable minions'.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
AFK_Tick
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 10:15 AM EDT (US)     7 / 24       
I thought I read a description of a mummy somewhere that said it would allow temporary conversion - you'd control enemy units for a little while, then lose control.

Does that ring a bell with anyone? Did I imagine it?

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 10:18 AM EDT (US)     8 / 24       
I seem to recall something I read implying minions would actually die after a short period of time, but however it works, Mummies utilise conversion...

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
Dagobert
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 04:14 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24       
Hey Tick

I think the Mummy has this effect : it doesn't really use conversion as priests and monks of former age games did, it actually transforms his victims in some undead under it's control for a limited time. I guess that the undead just return to dust after that time.

la guerre comme la guerre
Stone_Giant
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 05:05 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24       
Boarding ships sounds pretty interesting if you ask me...

Stone_Giant

Cataphract887
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 06:03 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24       
anything that hurts gameplay is blindfolded and shot-Deathshrimp

aprrantly,boarding galleys in aok wasnt fun,and i didnt find it fun either when i tried(boarding galleys are hidden units-cant just place them in the editor)

The_Avenger772
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 07:49 PM EDT (US)     12 / 24       
yay! someone who agrees with me on boarding ships! (RF_Gandalf)... oh wait everyone hates it

I've posted to Deathshrimp and Tribal_warrior (making a new game) about the idea, and while it's hard to do it and not have micromanagement, it'l be cool.

also, look in TSD's thread "Banishing myth units" , there I explain why the conversion programming code might be used for banishing of Egyption priests/pharaohs.

c r e e z y
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 07:51 PM EDT (US)     13 / 24       
do u wanna tell us what else u did today or talk bout conversions?

The_Avenger772
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 07:58 PM EDT (US)     14 / 24       
hey, the thread IS realted to conversion.. maybe that's why the topic starts with that word. every day I go over the forums posting whenever I have something to say, and after the militia post flood now everyone's talking about conversions.
Zlaz
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 08:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 24       
Boarding ships would be awesome. I don't know what the problem is with them. Thats how they did it a lot of times. They would ram each other and fight. Sea battles an extension of land ones except you bring the land with you. I do agree about the MUs though some would be ok, like a minotaur, but I would see a problem with a fire giant on a wooden ship.
HalfAwake
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 08:37 PM EDT (US)     16 / 24       
Shouldn't this thread be called "boarding galleys"?
Stone_Giant
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 08:40 PM EDT (US)     17 / 24       

Quoted from ES_Deathshrimp:

Ramming ships -- Don't work well in an AOE-type engine. Ramming ships need to ram a target and then either stop attacking or back up to ram again (otherwise you get the curious boat humping thing going on). Incidentally, this is why cavalry in our games don't use lances -- they look retarded poking that weapon in and out of a motionless target.

Stone_Giant

HalfAwake
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 09:44 PM EDT (US)     18 / 24       
I have to say to ES_DS that some heros did use lances in AoK and it did look retarded. Lances were used by knights and such in a joust-style charge; after hitting the target (usually on horseback, & with a lance w/ denser wood than at a tournament, thus being much more dangerous), the knight would drop the lance (as either it had broken in two or was now wedged in someone's chest), take out his sword, and duke it out AoK style.
The_Avenger772
Mortal
posted 10 May 2002 11:42 PM EDT (US)     19 / 24       
DID they, Halfawake, or do u mean they SHOULD have?

if they didn't it's probably because of PC requirement... too much detail. i never saw lances. if the thing is already in, call me an idiot.

"Ramming ships -- Don't work well in an AOE-type engine. Ramming ships need to ram a target and then either stop attacking or back up to ram again (otherwise you get the curious boat humping thing going on). Incidentally, this is why cavalry in our games don't use lances -- they look retarded poking that weapon in and out of a motionless target."

lol

RF_Gandalf
Mortal
posted 14 May 2002 11:12 AM EDT (US)     20 / 24       
Back to idea of "Boarding Galley"

In recent forum discussion the thoughts about garrisonning troops on ships was helpful.

Perhaps only the boarding galley gets garrisonned troops.

vladimir87
Mortal
posted 14 May 2002 05:02 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24       
Yes avenger there were lance-wielding heroes in AOK...

Many many calvary heroes, used the lances, and I think one of the mostnotable examples was Joan of Arc on horse. (Wait I might be getting something confused)

The point is the same, that the boat ramming/lance would "retarded"...

-Vladimir87

Conversion was interesting. It was very annoying and I hardly ever did it in AOK. However, I noticed many players were curiously fearful of a faith charged monks... When the chant began, entire platoons of units I found, would be sacraficed to take down that one monk... It was interesting...

The_Avenger772
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 02:05 AM EDT (US)     22 / 24       
yeah, lances or whatever, they will look weird...

hey, what about rams? They looked so stupid, you have thigns that look like houses on wheels surrounding a burning castle, humping away

vladimir87
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 10:04 AM EDT (US)     23 / 24       
How could no one think of it? (Oh wait now I will really look bad if I have forgotten some obvious fact)

Quote:

...but we didn't delete the code, because we needed it for something else. "

Boarding ships? Naw... THey wont include it most likely

Mummy? Maybe, I am really not sure...

Medusas?

Well I think that is the answer there. OBviously it will tkae time to turn to stone, or else it would be cheap. Even it it would take time to "recharge" after an attack, it woul be very unfair to have my expensive hydra just taken out instantly by a medusa...

What are medusas? They are monks attacking an enemy with heresy IMO...

-Vladimir87

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 10:31 AM EDT (US)     24 / 24       
I was under the impression that the medusa will turn units into stone at random.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames