You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Early Scouting
Bottom
Topic Subject:Early Scouting
Engiskhan
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 12:50 PM EDT (US)         
This is one of the topics that I'm really curious about. We know that all Greek Gods get Pegasus right? It appears from ES's site that these may be available in the first age. I'm just wondering how this will affect the dynamics of the game. I'm assuming that all Egyptian gods will get the Pheonix and all Norse will get those falcons. It's pretty obvious that these will cost favor so I'm assuming that one strategy will be to get favor as quickly as possible just for the scout. Can anyone shed any light on this?
1. When are these available?
2. Expensive?
AuthorReplies:
petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 01:40 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
the pheonix is almost definitely not a first age MU becasue it has military value. I believe its been said that the pharoh has some special scouting abilities that have not been released yet, but take the place of an early scout.
vladimir87
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 02:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
Uh, a few problems with your reasoning engiskhan...

The norse do not start with any scout, and the "falcon" is not a unit. I think you are thinking of the "raven" unit which is available later...

The Egyptions start with the pharoah who can scout, but they do not start with a phoenix...

The greeks get huge scouting bonuses early on we already know... In addition to the pegasus scout, they can get good calvary scouts... Poseidon gets the water scout as well

-Vladimir87

Stone Giant put a post about scouting up recently, I would check it out

Engiskhan
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 02:29 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
No reasoning in my post Vlad, just questions. You're right, I made a mistake about the falcon, it's a raven I was thinking of. But I'm thinking that this could be like the pegasus in that it's available early in the game for the norse. I don't know if they've released any info about this at all. I'm just thinking that each race will get it's own way of scouting very well early on. Maybe the pharoah can just magically see portions of the map once in awhile? I dunno.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 02:55 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
Re the original question: Pegasus can't be built until you a) have a temple and b) have favor. I expect that most people won't want to gather favor until the first direct combat myth units come into play (Age 2) unless the Pegasus is very attractive. Possibly myth units are harder to get early on as well, if a second age MU is going to be viable in the fourth age.

Two other points to note is that Hermes has an upgrade that decreases price on Pegasus while increasing durability/LOS. People may hold off building a Pegasus until this upgrade is gotten.

Other point to note is Zeus starts with some favor, one of his bonuses. I bet that the major reasoning for this is to allow Zeus to build a Pegasus without having to send villagers to gather favor.

I also share the opinion that the Norse Raven and Egyptian Phoenix could be parallels to the Pegasus with the Greek gods.

Quote:

the pheonix is almost definitely not a first age MU becasue it has military value.

? How?

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 03:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
because we've heard that it it can fight. And if only ranged units can kill a flying usit than there would be nothing in the first age to kill it (unless there are 1st age ranged units). But still, can you image a peonix being killed be a skirmisher?, that would jsut look stupid.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 03:33 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
Um, we have heard where?

This is the first I've heard of it.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
jduderocks
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 04:44 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18       

Uh I think it was in one of the aus gamer vids wasn't it?
dont count on it though

It looks like it could have a flamethrower attack but what would be good is as it flaps its wings fire rains down where it just was this would add balance as it wouldnt be able to just sit there attacking a helpless building and could cause problems if you get it to close to your own town

Norse do get other flying units too the Dragon for one I believe it may be an equivalent to the chimera?

XCrash_Fish
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 04:47 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
I agree with TSD, I keep hearing all this nonsense about Pheonix attack, but Ive never heard ES speak of such a beast, where do you hear that Phoenix attack.

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 04:52 PM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
Ausgamers video Bruce Shelley just says "Here goes a Phoenix" and something similar the second time, unless there's something further along.

TheShdwDwn
XCrash_Fish
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 05:41 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
that doesnt really say "oh look, the phoenix is toasting those little Ulfsarks!" but I guess we will learn more about the Phoenix sometime soon.

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.
vladimir87
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 06:16 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18       

Quote:

No reasoning in my post Vlad

Whoops... Well you know what I mean ...

As for the phoenix, where do i get the fact that the phoenix is a flying petard? Isn't this what they said it would be, or am I going crazy lol. I was positive they said something like that. When was it though?

-Vladimir87

Quote:

I'm assuming that all Egyptian gods will get the Pheonix and all Norse will get those falcons

Wait engiskhan, isn't that... somewhat a bit or reasoning? Perhaps assumptions... I guess there is a difference...

pdwxyz
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 10:41 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
here's my thought on the phoenix thing: I think they have some sort of attack b/c in a screenshot there was a mass of them (I forget which one) there is no reason to have a mass of scouts, lest they have some sort of attack ability. Of course, it could just be eyecandy.
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 15 May 2002 10:50 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
I don't think the Phoenix will have any attack. It'll be just a flying scout unit.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 16 May 2002 08:43 AM EDT (US)     14 / 18       

Quote:

here's my thought on the phoenix thing: I think they have some sort of attack b/c in a screenshot there was a mass of them (I forget which one) there is no reason to have a mass of scouts, lest they have some sort of attack ability. Of course, it could just be eyecandy.

There was two Phoenixes in the 'Egypt moves north' screen, and that's the only screen they've appeared in. But Pegasus has appeared in half the Greek screens released, and we know it can't attack. The Raven certainly seems unlikely to be able to attack, so when you have two scout only MU's, it makes sense that there would be one for each culture, I think.

One man's opinion, true.

TheShdwDwn

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 05-16-2002 @ 08:44 AM).]

Dagobert
Mortal
posted 16 May 2002 09:47 AM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
I also think that Egypt has a first age scouting MU (might not be the Phoenix though, but I do think it is) as well as the norses (Raven is not confirmed but highly expected) and the greeks (Pegasus).

But, because of favor, early exploration will never (except for Zeus may be) be done by high cost MUs, therefore only the greeks will be good early explorators with their Kataskapos.

Back to egyptians : it is possible that they have no scouting MU, but this is compensated by an early strong economy (empowered production buildings) and the priest that has nothing to do in the early game but exploration.(Except Ra priests that are like little pharaohs, Ra players will have to choose how to use their priests in the early game, for Set and Isis players, it will probably be obvious : their priests will explore. I suppose that although slow, they have a nice line of sight).

pdwxyz
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 00:00 AM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
Perhaps a better way to say what I said is that I think that phoenixes have an attack unlike my beliefs regarding the pegasus and ravens. However, perhaps that is an upgrade in a later age (an interesting twist on the whole idea)
ES_DeathShrimp
Immortal
posted 17 May 2002 11:09 AM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
The 3 cultures (and even some of their major gods) scout in very different ways.
Jus
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 02:20 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
The greeks start with a horse scout so i don't think people will rush for a pegasus so early.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames