You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Game speed...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Game speed...
Engiskhan
Mortal
posted 16 May 2002 11:30 PM EDT (US)         
What do you guys think? Are battles going to last longer than before? In the movies I've seen, it appears that units attack alot slower than they did in AOK. Maybe this is a misconception on my part, but it's definitely an impression that I got.
AuthorReplies:
kyleofthegermans
Mortal
posted 16 May 2002 11:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
The games are supposed to last one hour instead of the usual two hour AOK games. They say there will be plently of action in all 3 ages instead of just waiting untill Imperial and attacking with a paladin rush. About the speed of the movie you saw, it could have been slowed down to show action better. 3d is usually alot faster and more fluid than 2d so I would assume it's slowed.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 01:13 AM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
Promotional videos would be a little boring if each unit died after three swipes...

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
kyleofthegermans
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 01:19 AM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
Its also very unrealistic in RTS games when units get hit by 30+ archer arrows and manage to survive.
Engiskhan
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 01:39 AM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
Speaking of units dying, anyone notice any MU's dying in any of the movies?
Gluteus Maximus
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 03:04 AM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
The speed increase of the game, in my opinion, will come a little from units' attack rates, and will come a lot from resource gathering rates. I'd bet $5 US dollars on this one .

- Maximus

jefflam
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 05:12 AM EDT (US)     6 / 18       

Quoted from Engiskhan:

Speaking of units dying, anyone notice any MU's dying in any of the movies?

Well, I don't think so. But I did saw a giant turn to stone by a medusa arrow in a old movie which I think everyone have seen before.

Joking leads to anger.
Anger leads to hate.
Hate leads to suffering.
I'm Joking.
l3litZer0

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 06:59 AM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
also a dragon(forgot it's name) and Mountain Giants died in the removed GameSpot movie 8.

[This message has been edited by Imperialarc (edited 05-17-2002 @ 07:00 AM).]

petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 08:39 AM EDT (US)     8 / 18       

Quote:

The games are supposed to last one hour instead of the usual two hour AOK games. They say there will be plently of action in all 3 ages instead of just waiting untill Imperial and attacking with a paladin rush. About the speed of the movie you saw, it could have been slowed down to show action better. 3d is usually alot faster and more fluid than 2d so I would assume it's slowed.

1. Most AOK:TC games do not last 2 hours, mmine average 30 minutes for a 1v1, maybe 1 hour for team games

2.There are 4 ages in AOM, not 3 (unless you are not including archaic as an age in which battle can be fought, which i think it *might* be)

3. 3d is NOT more fluid than 2d, for the same resolution it causes a huge decrease in FPS.

TO get back on topic, i think the game speed will be a little faster than AOK, if they make it too much faster than many people will get mad. (EE tried to make the game faster than AOK, and look what happened, people can win games in under 5 minutes with only 2 units!) A click fest like that is definitely not my idea of strategy. I prefer to position my armies where they can do the most damage, and micro my economy, i never micro battles themselves.

ES_DeathShrimp
Immortal
posted 17 May 2002 11:00 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
The part we want to make faster is that long, slow ending where you know you've won, but it takes 20 minutes to mop up. We'd also like to speed up the early part where you essentially queue up Villagers and then go get something to drink for the first 5 minutes.

We think that dynamic games where you fall behind only to come back to victory are some of the most fun. That's not the part we're trying to shorten. We just want someone who has clearly won to be able to close down the game so everyone can play another one. (And I'm not just talking about 1v1 multiplayer games.)

We think more people might play a game of AOM over lunch or after dinner if they knew it didn't have to be a 2 hour commitment.

Yamato
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 02:21 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
DeathShrimp, that is good to hear. I like that approach, and while it's easier said than done to shorten only particular parts of the game, it's definitely the right way to approach it. While on the one hand I LIKE going to get some food during early villi production since I have probably already been playing for 3 hours... a lot of people like you said cringe at the idea of 2 hour games and that makes it hard for me to play the game with my real-life friends instead of just on the zone.

H, C, C, H, C, C, H, C, C, H, C, C
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 04:48 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
this is what i have to say

Who cares about realism???

How does realism make it fun????

I doubt anyone of you can answer this question.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
Lewk73
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 05:18 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18       

Quote:

The speed increase of the game, in my opinion, will come a little from units' attack rates, and will come a lot from resource gathering rates.

A lot of game time will be cut off by the settlements. Capture them all and you win (without going after every last unit which can take forever).

If two wrongs don't make a right, try three!
-Unknown
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 05:29 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
THere wasn't really a problem with dieing slowly in AOK either.

I have seen people come back from some pretty poor positions and win.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
vladimir87
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 08:11 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18       

Quote:

Its also very unrealistic in RTS games when units get hit by 30+ archer arrows and manage to survive

It represents archers missing the mark etc. And when people are hacking with swords… that represents the parry thrust I would imagine…

Quote:

AOK games only took about 30 minutes

Where are you getting this from? The minimum is around 30 minutes, the maximum about 6 hours… It takes what, 9 minutes to feudal in AOK (8-10 range about). You usually don’t get to castle, at least for me, until about 17-20 minutes at the least, because I rush hard and long, and it takes awhile to get gold. Imperial age isn’t really researched til later, because knights and castles are available in the third age. Saying that, it might be half an hour before one is in imperial. And, for black forest, it takes a whole lot longer than that to finish the guy off. Likewise you can generally conquer someone (to the point that they know you are going to win) in 15 minutes, and many cases much after that. Then it takes about half an hour to find the running villies. Annoying, which is why settlements are now a factor… Don’t forget flying scouts and GPs

Quote:

We think more people might play a game of AOM over lunch or after dinner if they knew it didn't have to be a 2 hour commitment

YES! THANK YOU DS! Lots of times I had to settle for some lame dm game because I knew a random map would take ages. This game shortening is great…

-Vladimir87

petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 17 May 2002 11:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 18       

Quote:

Where are you getting this from? The minimum is around 30 minutes, the maximum about 6 hours… It takes what, 9 minutes to feudal in AOK (8-10 range about). You usually don’t get to castle, at least for me, until about 17-20 minutes at the least, because I rush hard and long, and it takes awhile to get gold. Imperial age isn’t really researched til later, because knights and castles are available in the third age. Saying that, it might be half an hour before one is in imperial.

Well, most games i play involve either a FLUSH or a fast castle. I have seen people die to a FLUSH in under 15 minutes, although most games take about 30. Knight rushes also take about 30 since you don't attack till later, but you are using better units. Of course this is assuming that the players are not exactly matched, and the loser resigns when it is obvious he has lost.

Your numbers seem a little of though since you talk about going Imperial in under 30 minutes, and in most FLUSH wars i'm barely castle by then But most games end in the castle age. (At least most 1v1s, team games last considerably longer, but i am talkign about 1v1 here since that is what i often play)

[This message has been edited by petard_rusher (edited 05-18-2002 @ 08:21 PM).]

Paulcool_me1
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 08:31 AM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
I think the settlements are great. I was playing a 1vs1 with this guy one time and was taking him out when he moved just a few villagers to the other side of the map and managed to build a big army and avoid and almost beat me before I subdued him completely with my War Elephants. The point I'm trying to make is, settelments can take off hours from gameplay cause that little villager you escape with has to find a clear settelment to put his TC on. Plus flying MU scouts will be able to find him a lot faster than making a whole bunch of horsemen and sending them off in different directions.

Proud Supporter of AoE, AoK, and AoM.
"Anything that hurts gameplay will be blindfolded and shot." - Greg "DeathShrimp" Street
The alpha's have arrived, congrats to all.
AoMC Staff
AoM alpha VIP
TheBlackKnight
vladimir87
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 10:12 AM EDT (US)     17 / 18       

Quote:

loser resigns when it is obvious he has lost

Not always the case, which is what DS is assuring us of

Quote:

Your numbers seem a little of though since you talk about going Imperial in under 30 minutes

Your right it takes a bit longer. I, in probably most cases, either kill or am killed before imperial... It would be longer than half an hour definately...

Quote:

and in most FLUSH wars i'm barely feudal by then

Your barely in the feudal by 30 minutes? Maybe you meant castle? Because you have to advance quick in order to flush...

That definately sounds like a boom when the minimum advance time I have found for flushing is like 11-12 minutes... You probably meant castle...

Quote:

I have seen people die to a FLUSH in under 15 minutes

So have I. So I suppose that you feuda in under thirty minutes?

-Vladimir87

petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 08:21 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
yes, i edited the post, i meant castle.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames