You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » I fear a whole lot of " expert players "...
Bottom
Topic Subject:I fear a whole lot of " expert players "...
JackalRat
HG Alumnus
(id: BrandNewCar)
posted 18 May 2002 08:37 AM EDT (US)         
In AoM the general consensus is that there will be a lot less importance on economy... the less time microing it, the less villager boom.. more focus on military.. if this happens military will become important and so there will be a whole lot more military competition in the rated rooms..

Let me explain further, if there is more focus on military then there is less on economy. The top rated players in AoK can managed both an economy and military very well.. if this balance was to change with AoM then you'd see the people who over invest in military with by aok standards a week economy succeed in AoM... Thoughts/Opinions? .

AuthorReplies:
LongSiege
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 09:46 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9       

Quote:

The top rated players in AoK can managed both an economy and military very well.. if this balance was to change with AoM then you'd see the people who over invest in military with by aok standards a week economy succeed in AoM... Thoughts/Opinions

I have to disagree with you when you say there will be a lot less importance on economy. Sure ES has taken out the "boring" parts like queueing farms but, economy still needs as much attention as AoK. Greek especially will have to monitor the number of villagers praying... Egypt will have to keep monitering that pharaoh.

I think people who were experts in AoK will still be experts in AoM because their skills of a fast mouse hand as well as their creativity to make up strategies and "out think" their opponent will carry over.

http://aom.rtsgamer.com
AoM VIP Alpha Tester
vladimir87
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 09:58 AM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Well, the militaristic side of battle did need to be livened up... Basically, even though I still think it is very possible to overcome a larger force if you know what your doing, generally the stronger economy won.

I think the importance of economy should be maintained, because I think that's one of the main reasons AOE and AOK were different from other games, like RA2 and TA and stuff. Economy is important, but tactics... they are important too...

And in many cases the only time tactics can be a factor is micromanagement. Hit and run... Partian tactics. Retreat to arms. Even concentrating archer fire...

That is truly what differentiates one general from another I would think. I hope that GPs, myth units, and even regular units will add another side to combat in AOM...

Think about it: You see a norse player coming in with mountain giants, and you do not have anything available taht can pack enough punch to actually tear them down... So, after seeing their are no valkerie defending them, you build 3 medusas... There go the mountain giants and you are safe...

-Vladimir87

Cloudchaser_Eagle
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 11:29 AM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
Well, my Achilles heel (any pun unintended ) in deathmatch play is that often I will be swept up in my military campaigns and spend waaaaay too much time micro-ing my troops than paying attention to my econ back home. Because of this (and because I play Goths the most), I would run out of food before I ran out of gold, and it would seriously limit my war-making capabilities.

So I hope that economy in AoM will require less micro (having to build and queue farms is finally gone, woohoo! ), but still be just as important. That way, the econ won't be any less important, and players will now have more time to devote to military campaigns, thus making the military more important.

29th Greatest AoMH Forumer ever, former (and proud) FPH Templar
Winner of CC_Straight_Og's "Most Humorous Reply" award (though I still have no idea why ).
Winner of AgeofMe's "The Site Jerk" title (and I do have an idea why )
"Character is destiny." -Heraclitus
Official Mascot of the Age of Mythology Heaven forums!
Stone Minotaur
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 11:50 AM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
Ahh yes, the all poweful campaign in your head I qwas once Teutons on that ice lake map, and I sent an army up to my first enemy (having basically destroyed another in my way ) But I kept getting tons of those *you are being attacked by: * signals. Well I was fighting a war, so i ignored them, going duh, of course i'm being attacked without looking at my base.... I marched the remainder of my men back to base and there I find...half my farms gone, my gold miners sitting doing nothing, and 2 of my 3 castles either on fire or in a pile of rubble, caused by the enemy I thought I had gotten rid of, who sent in 4 rams and a whole lotta Champions. I think I won in the ned, but I was a big mess Darn campaigns, u ignore everything else

"In the centre was Phobos (Fear) worked in adamant, unspeakable, staring backwards with eyes that glowed with fire. His mouth was full of teeth in a white row, fearful and daunting, and upon his grim brow hovered frightful Eris (Strife) who arrays the throng of men ...
JackalRat
HG Alumnus
(id: BrandNewCar)
posted 18 May 2002 12:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
DeathShrimp has already stated that buildings are weaker, and that earlier age units are easier to counter next age units with as well. Which can only help contribute,

Vladimir87

But what about all the time it takes to make 3 medusas? by the time they made you've lost a settlement or two if nearby and 20 villagers are dead .

Quote:

I have to disagree with you when you say there will be a lot less importance on economy. Sure ES has taken out the "boring" parts like queueing farms but, economy still needs as much attention as AoK. Greek especially will have to monitor the number of villagers praying... Egypt will have to keep monitering that pharaoh.

I think people who were experts in AoK will still be experts in AoM because their skills of a fast mouse hand as well as their creativity to make up strategies and "out think" their opponent will carry over.

Build orders.. most people rated will copy successful strategies and not really take it into their own hands after the initial few weeks/months of experimentation.

If anyone plays rated here the creative side is no longer there, I personally find the zone rated tedious.. why? because the first 30minutes are the same units over and over again.. I sure hope the 3rd age rush comes into it again, aah well.

LongSiege
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 01:16 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9       

Quote:

If anyone plays rated here the creative side is no longer there, I personally find the zone rated tedious.. why? because the first 30minutes are the same units over and over again.. I sure hope the 3rd age rush comes into it again, aah well.

Thats for sure

http://aom.rtsgamer.com
AoM VIP Alpha Tester
Stone Minotaur
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 01:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
I hate strategys like knight rushes, and skirm rushes. It's more fun, at east for me, to mix it up and throw say, some teutonic knights in with cav archers, they make up for each others weaknesses. I think that is what adds a little more of the fun of AOK at least

"In the centre was Phobos (Fear) worked in adamant, unspeakable, staring backwards with eyes that glowed with fire. His mouth was full of teeth in a white row, fearful and daunting, and upon his grim brow hovered frightful Eris (Strife) who arrays the throng of men ...
petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 07:43 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
"The top rated players in AoK can managed both an economy and military very well.. "

I remember a Koven game where he won with 1/2 of resources of enemy, due to 1337 micro and bugs, he basically ignored econ and had very few vils most of which was in his tc, and he still won.

vladimir87
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 09:10 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9       

Quote:

But what about all the time it takes to make 3 medusas? by the time they made you've lost a settlement or two if nearby and 20 villagers are dead .

Heh, just an example lol. Those mountain giants loook slooooooooow!

-Vladimir87

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames