You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Snow storms and weather effects and the Fire Giant.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Snow storms and weather effects and the Fire Giant.
Dionysos
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 11:54 AM EDT (US)         
What would happen if the Fire Giant walked through snow or rain poured down on him, well according to ES's "Norse-Fly over" nothing, and he'd even scorch a path through the snow.
It is for reasons like this that Ensemble needs us to help them make the game, not let the PC games magazines (and other media sources) spot all the faults. ES should make the fire giant die in rain very quickly and fairly slowly shrink on snow/ice. He should grow when walking though (wooden) buildings.
AuthorReplies:
Dionysos
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 11:57 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Also Mountain Giants should be taller, and the unit hair colour and faces for animals, monsters and people should differ.
who_da_man12
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 12:00 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
yah, i think u make a valid point man..plus also i dunno how off or on topic this is, but the sphinx Eggy MU looks very weird, its head looks bare skinned!like it got burnt@

Da Man is BACK!!!
I have my own little world, they know me there
Its not that im Anti-Social... i just dont like YOU!
I SEE DUMB PEOPLE!!!!!!
Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 12:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
Different faces? Not really needed if they are going to die anyway...you are probably not going to watch their face the whole time you play the game anyway(especially if you are in the same isometric view as previous age games)

Mountain giants look fine to me, don't really see why they need to be much taller...but they could have changed the art by now as we speak. As for the fire giant "realism"...no. I want my fire giant in good condition when not in battle. Also weather effects don't happen during a game, during a GP yes but not as a regular component of a game. If what you say were implemented, fire giants will be useless on snow maps, island maps (If they were put on transports they would burn the ship down), and the frost giant should be able to defeat the fire giant every time and such. So ask yourself, would that be fun?

[This message has been edited by Imperialarc (edited 05-18-2002 @ 12:12 PM).]

Dionysos
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 12:22 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
You are quite right Imperial Arc, the Fire Giant unit would not suit the Norse very well at all. Since all their structures are wooden and the place is covered in snow.
But is realism better? What are the Fire Giant's abilities? I think something extra should be researched in order to get the Fire Giant, like protection from the cold.
I really think it looks boring having lots of Mountain Giants looking like clones. (They are the most obvious when together, because of their size and hair colour, surely some could have dark brown or grey hair?) on the topic of Mountain Giants, some could have giant hammers and axes.
It would be great if the Giants and the Cyclops could pick up and eat close mortal units and bite animals (and ships in two, if the Giants/Cyclops were made bigger)

[This message has been edited by Dionysos (edited 05-18-2002 @ 12:28 PM).]

Confused_Templar
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 12:35 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
Yes, all Mountain Giants look alike, and no, I don't have a problem with it.

The red hair and beard is used mostly to make them immediately recognizable. Yeah, all of AoK's woadies wore clown pants, but you always knew right away that they were woad raiders.

As for fire giants: let's avoid unneeded complications. I don't want a GP to ruin a fire giant-centric strategy, nor do I think a tech needed to gain access to FG's should be necessary. BTW: I'm not sure, but I think the FG's special attack is throwing fireballs that act like scorpion bolts.

As as far as different faces for units: do you want the game released on time or not?

Dionysos
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 01:30 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
"Do you want the game released on time or not?"

We ALL want the game released as soon as possible, if that bug has been corrected now and there definately are n't any others. Then Ensemble, release it NOW!!!!!!!! (or at least for July,(my predicted month.))

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 01:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Yes, fire giant's attack is throwing fireballs, looks pretty good. But I won't bet that AoM will be released July, if it is, I would be mighty suprised.

[This message has been edited by Imperialarc (edited 05-18-2002 @ 01:38 PM).]

Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 01:43 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
In Heroes of Might&Magic, some units have special resistance to certain spells (e.g. fire elemental and fire spells), while others receive extra-damage from a certain spell (eg fire elemental and cold spells).
I think in AoM we should adupt that system with the GPs.
On the other hand, snow/rain shouldn't immediately kill the fire giants.
Let's think "realistically": it ain't easy extinguishing an enormous eternal fire like the fire giant's one. And beside, there are the ballance & complication issues...

Quote:

surely some could have dark brown or grey hair?

how many mountain giants will an average Norse player have in a game? probably few of them (unless he's playing against Thunder ). I don't think ES should spend their time on something almost no-one will notice.

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect
Hell
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 01:46 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
I don't think Snow Storms affect units, only buildings.

However ... Frost against a Fire Giant won't be effective, I think. After all, the flames of Muspelheim melted down ice from Niflheim in the beginning of the world. The ice of Niflheim didn't extinguish the flames of Muspelheim. Maybe the ice on a Fire Giant/Phoenix/Chimera won't last as long as on another unit.

Hel, Lady of Darkenss
She's the Bottomless Pit,
The never-ending struggle to release that which is now denied.
She's the keeper of all that is hidden, secluded and forbidden,
The mistress of the locked door.
Stone Minotaur
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 01:59 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
God, now fire giants destroyed earth in Ragnorak! They would not have been able to hold such power, well, if it rained and they all died. Their power is supposed to be so great, their fire isn't affected by water. You can't talk about realism in a game called Age of Mythology with god powers and mythical units

"In the centre was Phobos (Fear) worked in adamant, unspeakable, staring backwards with eyes that glowed with fire. His mouth was full of teeth in a white row, fearful and daunting, and upon his grim brow hovered frightful Eris (Strife) who arrays the throng of men ...
Dionysos
Mortal
posted 18 May 2002 05:01 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
I am not so sure about whether its best or not for the fire giant to get extinguished by a water-based God-power. If an enemy spent all his resources on Fire Giants, building up an army over hours preparing for a final assualt, then the heavens open, (with the Snow Storm God-power) and all his forces are history!!
Sounds like a brilliant idea!!
However, since most people insist that it's best the normal snow effect do nothing to the Fire Giants then perhaps only God-powers can do the damage to the Fire-Giants making the God-powers seem even more effective!
c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 18 May 2002 07:39 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
one thing...gameplay over realism

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames