You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.33 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Gamespot comes through! (21 new screenies)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Gamespot comes through! (21 new screenies)
theferret
A girl dammit!
posted 22 May 2002 12:29 PM EDT (US)         
From E3, obviously.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/screenindex/0,10866,2867198,00.html

I'm liking those elephants...

Official OD Fantasy Football Champion
Official OD Rock-Paper-Scissors Champion
Official Champion of Gender-Confused Forumers Everywhere
"ferret has a well-known reputation for trickery and deception"
AuthorReplies:
theferret
A girl dammit!
posted 22 May 2002 12:31 PM EDT (US)     1 / 33       
Eh, they aren't all new, but some of them are.

I count 15 different animals in one of the pictures...

Zakthegreat
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 12:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 33       
thx for telling us, they are the sub for weekly ss.

0 0 0
1st place in Norse Mythology Quiz (BrandNewCar's)(the hardest one of the 3)
Owner of 3D Studio Max
Loyal to Ensemble Studios
I am Loki
U.S.A., AOM, ES, HG RULE!!!!
Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 12:34 PM EDT (US)     3 / 33       
Actually there are plenty of good stuff there...*drools* All I can say now is wow...

[This message has been edited by Imperialarc (edited 05-22-2002 @ 12:35 PM).]

Yamato
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 12:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 33       
That is some serious gaia! Cattle?, walruses, hyenas, a hippo, oxen, a polar bear... sweet it looks like they will have different gaia depending on the terrain this time, and check out the lion mauling the zebra! I don't remember gaia animals ever fighting gaia animals in AoK.
[urlhttp://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/screens/0,10865,2867198,00.html?page=5[/url]

H, C, C, H, C, C, H, C, C, H, C, C

[This message has been edited by Yamato (edited 05-22-2002 @ 12:37 PM).]

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 12:37 PM EDT (US)     5 / 33       
I see new shields never seen before for Greeks. The art looks better IMO. http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/screens/0,10865,2867198,00.html?page=12 <--this is my favorite. Very nice battle screns. Oh and frames of structures being built.

[This message has been edited by Imperialarc (edited 05-22-2002 @ 12:39 PM).]

theferret
A girl dammit!
posted 22 May 2002 12:41 PM EDT (US)     6 / 33       
This one: http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/screens/0,10865,2867198,00.html?page=15

makes me wonder if Egpyt's natural terrian is sand, Norse snow, Greek grass... and if buiding on a different terrian changes it to your civ's terrian color.

That 'uns my new desktop.

Yamato
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 12:42 PM EDT (US)     7 / 33       
Interesting point ferret, that would be a pretty cool feature IMO!

H, C, C, H, C, C, H, C, C, H, C, C
Real
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 12:43 PM EDT (US)     8 / 33       
Coool, just looking at them, great find, thX!

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
Hell
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 12:47 PM EDT (US)     9 / 33       
Nice SSs. I really love E3.

Set's statue is finally shown. First time, I think.

Hel, Lady of Darkenss
She's the Bottomless Pit,
The never-ending struggle to release that which is now denied.
She's the keeper of all that is hidden, secluded and forbidden,
The mistress of the locked door.
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 01:08 PM EDT (US)     10 / 33       
The game looks better than ever. I love the screenshot with the chariots.
*saved them all while they're free*

Quote:

makes me wonder if Egpyt's natural terrian is sand, Norse snow, Greek grass... and if buiding on a different terrian changes it to your civ's terrian color.

Yes and no. As it seems, when the Egyptian player builds a structure, the ground below is desert-road, the norse: gray road that fits to snow, the Greeks- road that fits to grassland.
But I don't think it just makes the whole area grass/desert/snow, it'll be the scenario designers' nightmare.

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect
theferret
A girl dammit!
posted 22 May 2002 01:12 PM EDT (US)     11 / 33       

Quote:

But I don't think it just makes the whole area grass/desert/snow, it'll be the scenario designers' nightmare.

True... my guess is that that picture was designed in the scenario editor.

David
HG Alumnus
posted 22 May 2002 01:21 PM EDT (US)     12 / 33       
Stone_Giant
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 01:37 PM EDT (US)     13 / 33       
Nice find, I suppose now I can forgive ES for missing this weeks weekly SS

Stone_Giant

vladimir87
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 01:52 PM EDT (US)     14 / 33       
Great shots!

Just wait for all the stuff from E3!!

-Vladimir87

Edit: Wait is tthis from E3? Or just something else?

I love that trade cart shot! Thats so awesome! There ar like, 50 of them! War elephants going through the shallows as well. that looks pretty nice, like a earlier shot before the "Son of Osiris" screenshot...

[This message has been edited by vladimir87 (edited 05-22-2002 @ 02:14 PM).]

Jus
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 01:57 PM EDT (US)     15 / 33       
The armies are huge!!!!!!!!

Speaking of screen shots, anyone saw the world of warcraft screens? Awesome!!

[This message has been edited by Jus (edited 05-22-2002 @ 02:07 PM).]

SoR_Anarchy
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 02:28 PM EDT (US)     16 / 33       
nice find ferret, ES ROCKS!

God Bless America.

I am the state.

Jus
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 02:43 PM EDT (US)     17 / 33       
You should also look at the impossible creatures screens. the units are absolutely hillarious. Spider-killer whales, zebra tigers, elephant turtles. Mind boggling.
XCrash_Fish
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 02:59 PM EDT (US)     18 / 33       

Quote:

ROTFL! Though I am not definite on the answer, I believe that it is just dramatic effect by our ES friends. LOL... If the Egyptians really did that, they could make a sandbox company!

This is something that TSD would point out, but in the top of this SS There are two donkeys.... I wonder what they do?

OMG in the bottom right of that link there is some sort of building in the trees! and it has a campfire in it! I predict a smokey the bear unit!

And what do we have here??? It looks like our illusive fish.... we need to give him a name! how about "Bob" or "Charlie" or...

To add on to that screenshot, look up at the top at the area to the left of the tornado and below the temple... what is all that brown mess?<*note* look at the SS before/if you comment.

Oh and look at this one Does anyone else find it amusing that the elephants probably cant breathe in water that deep... *brain clicks* why they can use their snouts as snorkels of course! Elephants can be like a heavy amphibious unit!

Oh no! the monkeys are going to be attacked by that alligator-crocodile thing! I hope that pharoh will save them!

I think I understand those Greek heroes now, maybe they give a boost to all the similar unit types in their area... like the heroes in EE, but a bit more complex.

Thats all I can see for now.... Ill check back later for more mindless points

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 03:51 PM EDT (US)     19 / 33       
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/screens/0,10865,2867198,00.html?page=5

The wolves in the bottom left are attacking the deer. Also a lion further to the right is standing over a dead Zebra. A feature that I know was debated earlier on as to its existence...

We also know now the Egyptians have a Leviathan naval unit.

Quote:

This is something that TSD would point out, but in the top of this SS There are two donkeys.... I wonder what they do?

I wondered that too...they don't quite have the look of just gaia animals placed there, but they could be...

Quote:

To add on to that screenshot, look up at the top at the area to the left of the tornado and below the temple... what is all that brown mess?<*note* look at the SS before/if you comment.

From what we've seen in clearer shots, it's a treestump.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 05-22-2002 @ 03:55 PM).]

AM_Alexander
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 05:27 PM EDT (US)     20 / 33       
Hammerships in action !!! (TSD will like this)

I love the sight of all those eggie chariots...

[This message has been edited by AM_Alexander (edited 05-22-2002 @ 05:30 PM).]

c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 22 May 2002 08:53 PM EDT (US)     21 / 33       
i love E3 r sum of those ss's old?

edit: i finally looked at them all...one word...WOAH!

[This message has been edited by Hairy Scary Man (edited 05-22-2002 @ 09:14 PM).]

Zlaz
Mortal
posted 22 May 2002 10:43 PM EDT (US)     22 / 33       
Vladimir, you might want to look again. Its a little more than trade carts. Thats about 30 chariots!
David
HG Alumnus
posted 23 May 2002 03:55 AM EDT (US)     23 / 33       
Perhaps the donkeys are unloaded tradecarts?
wrotong
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 05:02 AM EDT (US)     24 / 33       
With the animal one it looks as if you can now build watch towers in first age, that animal attracting stone thing is Posideons first age GP right? i forget a lot forgive me :P

The Gold piles look a lot different as well from AOK

Is this one http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/screens/0,10865,2867198,00.html?page=10 a fortress???

And its this one http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/screens/0,10865,2867198,00.html?page=13
which shows a few trade carts

the greatest n00b of them all
theferret
A girl dammit!
posted 23 May 2002 09:52 AM EDT (US)     25 / 33       
Meh, Gamespy posted about new AoM shots, but no... they are the same ones Gamespot put up.

gamespy had RCTII screenies up...

Real
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 10:18 AM EDT (US)     26 / 33       
Wow, the ss with the animals attacking each other is cool, I think I`m gonna make a Safari scenario.

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
lief ericson
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 11:21 AM EDT (US)     27 / 33       
Awesome! wow! I looooooooooooooove E3. I can't wait till I'm 18.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 12:26 PM EDT (US)     28 / 33       
I just noticed those images are all on the MS public FTP... ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/deskapps/games/public/e3/pc/age of mythology/age of mythology screenshots/

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
RF_Gandalf
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 01:40 PM EDT (US)     29 / 33       
After looking at these 21 screenshots (not all new), I have some general and specific notes:

General - the stony hills in these are probably Scen Ed effects, & are really awesome. Not likely these will be in random maps though. Lots of beutiful posed and action scenes.

There seem to be 2 different Norse cav units - raiding cavalry are darker, and "valkyries"(for want of a certain name) are light in color - in SS# 14 and SS# 7. I am not sure that these units are valkyries or some other cav unit.

There are 2 'lighthouses' in at least 2 of the SS, right next to each other. Is the lighthouse a separate structure you place for increased LOS on your coast, or is it a tech to research to put a LOS-increasing structure on your dock(i.e. change the dock graphic)?

SS# 16 Interesting view of a Greek amphitheater

SS# 13 There looks to be some spider like creature under the water surface, looks different than the Scylla we saw earlier. Ideas? And love that group of Centaurs!

SS# 12 Nice view of Norse battering rams - look like we all know from movies in the past The Eggys in this view have a mess of priests - they cannot be too uncommon! And what is that red unit beside the smoking (damaged) Eggy building? Looks like the Human torch of comic book fame.

SS# 11 Note the use of farm terrain (not real farms) and pretty little fences, all Scen Ed effects, I am sure. Who is that a Greek hero (rear view) at the edge of the hill?

SS# 18 The buildings and walls under construction look better in appearance than those under construction in AOK, but it is not very historically accurate- that modern type of framing construction was not in practice then and certainly was not used for stone walls and stone buildings!

SS# 21 Agree that the stone ovals in the upper right corner are likely graves, but could have some other significance

SS# 01 Can't see the glow against the snow on the pharaoh and priest units? Is this a problem? Did I misidentify the units? And I love being able to see thru the Phoenix!

SS# 02 Note the 'force' coming out of the Nemian Lion's mouths on this SS. And what is the Greek unit on the 'red' team in the lower center, just to the right of the lower left 3 lions?

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 01:46 PM EDT (US)     30 / 33       

Quote:

And what is that red unit beside the smoking (damaged) Eggy building? Looks like the Human torch of comic book fame.

Fire Giant.

Quote:

There looks to be some spider like creature under the water surface, looks different than the Scylla we saw earlier.

It's a Kraken, Norse naval MU. Basically a giant squid with a special name.

Quote:

Can't see the glow against the snow on the pharaoh and priest units? Is this a problem? Did I misidentify the units? And I love being able to see thru the Phoenix!

We saw many screens earlier on that had no glow around the priest...I'm guessing that the glow on the priest is only a recently added feature. (This is a weekly screen from a while ago, I think.) I can see the glow on the pharoah, but it matches too well with the snow.

TheShdwDwn
FuTuRe_ViRuS
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 02:18 PM EDT (US)     31 / 33       
WOW!!!!
Lots of thanks theferret!!!!!

...nothing that i've wrote is true!!! All i write are lies!!! But wait a minute... ...how can you know if my sig isn't a lie??? HEHehehehehe.......
Proud Templar of the Flying Purple Hippos And that isn't a lie
shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 23 May 2002 02:19 PM EDT (US)     32 / 33       
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/screens/0,10865,2867198,00.html?page=20

anybody who can identify that blue striped thing in the corner um.. gets a cookie?

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 02:27 PM EDT (US)     33 / 33       
Tent, I bet. One sec, I've got a picture one one somewhere...

[Edit]: Ya, here, from a previous ES site design: http://www.someplacesomewhere.com/uploaded/TheShadowDawn/index_pic_x7.jpg

TheShdwDwn

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 05-23-2002 @ 02:30 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames