Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Map Sizes
Bottom
Topic Subject:Map Sizes
KatanaSwordfish
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 00:35 AM EDT (US)         
Ok... many things have been said about a possible sixteen players,deformable terrian, etc...

but, i have not heard one thing about the sizes of maps in AoM... are the maps going to be huge, with a bunch of settlements and relics and differences in terrain (such as a boarder of snow, sand, and grass all at once.).

If ES largly increased the map sizes, (IMO) that would be f***ing awsome...

But... i suppose there isn't much more that AoM could have without blowing up your comp...

Anyone heard anything about map sizes??

AuthorReplies:
Brown_Rice_
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 00:42 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
Good question! I too would like to know. It is possible to have ginormous maps without the games taking too long... just set the resources to be scarcer. I agree that it would be f***ing awesome to see maps bigger than AoK's Giant for big games. While Giant is more than sufficient for games up to about 6 players even if you like a lot of space, if you have 8 players (let alone more than 8), it would be nice to have the option to go bigger.
wrotong
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 06:13 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
If there is more than 8 players i am guessing there will have to be larger map options.
On AOK large = 8 so giant will most likely be suggested for 10 players, something else for 12 and then a super gigantic one like giant is on AOK

of course this is just specualtion

the greatest n00b of them all
Dagobert
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 08:30 AM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
On a french site where Sandyman regularly answers questions, he spoke about "collossal maps" although he was unable to say precisely how big exactly is colossal. (He said something like a unit would take twice as long to cross such a map than a unit takes to cross AoK huge maps)

He also said something that most good players are expecting : games are more fun on smaller maps.

Now, a few questions remain concerning settlements (already asked elsewhere, but this thread seems a good place to speak about that) :

1) Is the number of settlements a function of the map size? (Bigger maps, more settlements ??)

2) Is the number of settlements a function of the number of players? (More players, more settlements??)

3) Is the number of settlements a function of the max pop (Higher pop, more settlements??)

4) Yes to all three of the above??

5) Yes to all of the above in default settings, but possibility to customize??

If you go there
http://www.jeux-strategie.com/aom/article.asp?numero_article=829
you will find info from Sandy concerning the maps on the text from May 6th and May 13th (just scrool down, it is in chronological order, and it is in both langages, english and french so that Heaven's forumers should be able to read it). By the way, read the whole stuff, it is directly from ES...

la guerre comme la guerre

[This message has been edited by Dagobert (edited 05-23-2002 @ 08:39 AM).]

c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 23 May 2002 09:48 AM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
on number 3...

mayb u dont set a pop limit (or have we learned u do?) and u just set how many settlements u can build...the houses r limited so thatll go so far and then how many settlements u have will get u farther...just my thoughts

KatanaSwordfish
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 11:06 AM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
I think a really huge map might be more fun than a small map... because it gives the enemy more area to ride... and with a really big size you could make a scn. where there could be a mix or a few mapes, have a few islands, a black foresty type area, and maybe a small highland area...
Brown_Rice_
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 12:54 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
One of the interesting ramifications of having collosal maps is that if it takes the enemy a long time to cross the map, you can have a higher percentage of your population invested in villagers. This may not appeal to everyone but I for one think it would be great once in awhile... you would have a choice of either walling off a small/medium area, quickly mining out one section of the map at a time, and knowing that you are relatively safe and only need to fight someone off if they start building new offensive buildings in your area; or trying to expand to big chunks of the map and daring people to stop you, meanwhile ensuring yourself a lot of resources for the long run if successful.
Small maps are exciting but sometimes it's nice to be that USA-type country where if somebody wants to come and get you they have to really bring it! Rather than just being able to suddenly send a few waves of armies built from their own base. (And vice-versa... it puts the pressure on you to generate devastating offensive attacks against your opponents.)

[This message has been edited by Brown_Rice_ (edited 05-23-2002 @ 12:56 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames