You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » ES: we need stance setting for new units
Bottom
Topic Subject:ES: we need stance setting for new units
thewesson
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 07:52 PM EDT (US)         

Dunno if this has come up yet (a search on 'stance' doesn't reveal it), but ...

I was just reminded reading the AoK Heaven forum that almost all units always come out of the barracks/range/stables on 'aggressive' stance.

Well, it would be great if we could set the stance for units that emerge. I like 'defensive' stance in general, so my troops don't get scattered and wander into castle/TC fire while campaigning, and right now I have to band-select all new units and set their stance by hand every time.

As I recall you could do this in Starcraft, and I used it a lot.

Anyhow, can we have a button that sets stance-of-new-units on the controls for a unit producing building?

Maybe ES hasn't done this already because it might be slightly confusing if the building itself could have a attack stance (like a castle.)

But the usefulness is very great.

I want to be able to ask for a bunch of new units, set the gathering point, and then come back five minutes later to find that they are still waiting for me at the gathering point where I told them to assemble.

Maybe all new units should just be 'defensive'. But sometimes you'll just want to set a barracks to pump aggressive swordsmen into a crumbling enemy town.

Anyhow, stance on buildings sounds like an easy change that will just make life a little better for players.

Matt

AuthorReplies:
Brown_Rice_
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 08:40 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
YES! This was bothering me when I was playing the other day and I forgot to post about it. I would like to be able to see units come out in defensive stance. I would also love to be able to specify that they should Guard a unit or building upon being produced. Heck, even Follow could be an enormously useful rally point setting... it would be a way to have a mobile rally point which reacts to what you are doing!
Dagobert
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 08:59 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
I agree. One should be able do decide the stance of the new units he(she) is creating.

There is at least one situation where it might be done actually : we know that we have the option to set a rally point for new units to an existing group that can be located anywhere on the map and can be in any given stance (agressive, defensive, stand ground, new stances ??, ...).

I suppse that the new unit is taking the stance of it's group. Make sense, right?

À la guerre comme à la guerre

[This message has been edited by Dagobert (edited 05-23-2002 @ 09:01 PM).]

Gluteus Maximus
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 09:03 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
Very good idea, thewesson! Let's hope ES reads this.

- Maximus

“In the middle of a difficulty lies opportunity” - Albert Einstein
“One must learn to fail in order to succeed” - Michael Jordan

V = TC2 . . . The Gluteus Maximus Equation
{where V is villager, and TC is town center}

c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 23 May 2002 09:14 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
cant u just put them in stance after they r made?

Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 09:28 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
Yes this is a very good idea. I suggested this awhile back too and I'm sure others have too.

Quoted from Hairy Scary Man:

cant u just put them in stance after they r made?

No. I have other things to attend to than to be baby sitting my newly spawned units wandering across the map following a scout or something.

Unless...

=KK-Kong=

Nothing exists except atoms and empty space - all else is just opinion.
"The only thing uncomprehensible about the universe is that it's comprehensible." - Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Kong_KK (edited 05-23-2002 @ 09:32 PM).]

c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 23 May 2002 11:45 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
i wouldnt mind havin it in makes u able to do other things

Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 24 May 2002 01:08 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8       

Quote:

Dunno if this has come up yet (a search on 'stance' doesn't reveal it)

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,2170,0,all
http://aom.eden-games.net/archives.php?mois=11&an=2001
http://aok.heavengames.com/archives/archive.shtml?../newarchives/arc10-2001

"It may come as a shock to you . . . You can have fun and be serious all at the same time."
thewesson
Mortal
posted 24 May 2002 01:48 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8       

Quite so, Clarissimus.

I believe this forums search capability only searches titles of posts. If one can do better, I'd be happy to learn how.

Well, no harm in nagging ES about things like this, that are so obviously beneficial.

I agree it would be cool to have a rally point object (that maybe looked like a miniature semitransparent replica of the building it was a rally point for) that you could click on and set the properties for (like aggressive / defensive / passive stance.)

Matt

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames