You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.17 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Something does not look right to me
Bottom
Topic Subject:Something does not look right to me
Lord Anatoly
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 03:44 PM EDT (US)         
Well, I dont really know if its just me or what. But when I was reading the list of units of all cultures, again, I noticed that the Greeks and Egyptians can build even the most basic regular units in the 2nd age, but in the Norse section I noticed that the Norse can build their Ulfsarks in the very first age or, to be honest, it doesnt say that they can it doesnt say in what age they can be built so I am assuming that the Ulfsarks can be built in the very 1st age. Well, assuming that it is true a player then can create a horde of Ulfsarks and over run the Greek and Egyptian players in the very first age because they dont have any units to defend them selves with. Well, maybe, just maybe the Egyptians can stand their ground because of the Pharaoh and because they are a defensive civilization, but the Greeks, I see no way for the Greeks to defend them selves against the Norse if the Norse can build Ulfsarks in the 1st age. I may just not thought it through but correct me if I am wrong about Norse being able over run Egyptian and Greek villages in the very 1st age.

ESO- Whitecrow
Rusky wave attacks ftw!
AuthorReplies:
Psychic Ostrich
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 03:49 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17       
1)Ulfsarks needed for building, not just fighting.

2)Norse have a wobbly economy at start, very ulfsark dependant.

3)Do you think ES will not have thought of this?

SNIPPETS OF A CAFE CHAT:
Hey hi, damn, where is my... ...fridge, y'now, its been playing... ...with his nailclippers! I didnt know what to... ...weed, cos' i'm not a gardner, unlike Old... ...cushion, now it was... ...a bit soggy, with all his diarrhoea... ...experience with the theoretical side of... ...cats, oh they are doing... ...dancing with his best friend! now I would like to... ...grasp by the hilt you see? Anyway better be... ...going to lose his socks, silly... ...frog. Cya'...
Lord Anatoly
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 03:51 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17       
1) Well, ok 5 Ulfsarks for building and defending...
2) It doesnt take many Ulfsarks to build things.
3) Yes they have probably though of this but I am just curious.

ESO- Whitecrow
Rusky wave attacks ftw!
Dwarven_Smithy
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 03:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17       
Ulfs are built in the TC(I think.) This means any rush would comepletely ruin your econ.
Psychic Ostrich
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 04:01 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17       
Providing villies are still made at the TC....

no, dont go over the top...

SNIPPETS OF A CAFE CHAT:
Hey hi, damn, where is my... ...fridge, y'now, its been playing... ...with his nailclippers! I didnt know what to... ...weed, cos' i'm not a gardner, unlike Old... ...cushion, now it was... ...a bit soggy, with all his diarrhoea... ...experience with the theoretical side of... ...cats, oh they are doing... ...dancing with his best friend! now I would like to... ...grasp by the hilt you see? Anyway better be... ...going to lose his socks, silly... ...frog. Cya'...
tga
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 05:22 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17       
How often are militia produced during the dark age in aok:tc ? Would one civilization that can't build militia before feudal be disadvantaged much because everyone else can get military units earlier ?
I don't think so.
Jaydub
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 09:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17       
If the Norse player did ulfsark rush, the other players could lure them into TC/relocate gather sites. Yes it would hurt the other players economy some, but it would hurt the Norse economy MUCH more, and the greek/eggy will get to classical and crush the norse.

"A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn"
"People who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either one being made" - The Sausage Principle
When you are not looking at it, this signature says something else.
Winner of P_R2s "Best ASCII Minotaur Yet Award"

polaris_crd
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 09:39 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17       
From what I've heard the first age doesn't last very long. The TC in AoM could more then handle a couple of ulsarks if they were to rush.
Socrates
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 09:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 17       
But then you haven't played the game. ES have been busy testing and ballancing for some time. I'm sure everything is in order.
petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 10:42 PM EDT (US)     9 / 17       
"How often are militia produced during the dark age in aok:tc ? Would one civilization that can't build militia before feudal be disadvantaged much because everyone else can get military units earlier ?
I don't think so."

Someone stole my thunder here . I've heard in multiple places that first age rushing only messes up the Norse, it's like a drush, you can do it, but it ain't worth it (actually it's prolly worse than a drush since you have to waste tc time for them right?).

Stone Minotaur
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 10:48 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17       
yes, one of my strong (OK, HUGE! faults) in aok was going slowly, but now, it's not so much age dependant, so I think this will not matter, and Ulfs can't have more than like 5 attack and light armour if u get them in the first age, and i dought you could afford enough to do much damage.

"In the centre was Phobos (Fear) worked in adamant, unspeakable, staring backwards with eyes that glowed with fire. His mouth was full of teeth in a white row, fearful and daunting, and upon his grim brow hovered frightful Eris (Strife) who arrays the throng of men ...
petard_rusher
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 10:54 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17       
"but now, it's not so much age dependant"

The fact still remains that in the first age you cannot build military units *sorta*. The Greeks have their hero which could prolly easily stop a weak early rush and the Norse *can* get Ulfies which should be able to do the same... so all in all you might be right, not sure how it would work for Eggys other than that they are supposed to have strong buildings and good defenses.

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 00:04 AM EDT (US)     12 / 17       
1) Ulfsarks in the first age can only be built from the TC. Even with no foreknowledge of AOM, it's easy to tell that trying to mass a non villager unit from the TC would be disastrous unless the tactic totally destroyed the enemy, because your economy would take so much damage.

2) The Egyptians have Mercenaries in the first age for repelling attacks. The Greeks can train a hero from the TC who perhaps while one soldier is not ordinarily a match for 5, can perhaps be enough to discourage the enemy to leave the player long enough to get to the next age.

3) The first age has been described in several places as *very* short compared to AoK. By the time you gear to attack with ulfsarks, the enemy might be in the second age.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
The_Long_Knight
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 00:31 AM EDT (US)     13 / 17       
who says Eygpt are defencive??!!
Matei
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 08:34 AM EDT (US)     14 / 17       
Also, Eggys can make watch towers in the first age and Hades has Sentinels. I think even villies would be able to kill a few ulfsarks.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
Ras uncle
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 10:34 AM EDT (US)     15 / 17       
A TC and a hero in its range could hold off the Norse, and the Ulfsarks will probably be the weakest unit in the game (exept for the spearman maybe)

Big, slow, heavy , boring... Chevy (Like a ROCK)

I'm not insane everyone else is insane and you're all trying to steal my magic bag

Unckle66
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 02:50 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17       
Ulfsarks may not be strong enough or fast enough or even cheap enough.
I think i heard ES_Deathshrimp said that norse have expensive builders(ulfsarks) or something like that.

After all It would be very risky since if you fail to destroy your enemy or to kake a veeeery large damage to his econ you are basically dead.

One Day i'll be famous.
ESO: Unckle6
Wh1te_Kn1ght
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 03:25 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17       
Ulfsarks can be upgraded as you go along, much like the Militia line in AOK. A Militia rush is a rarely seen, expensive strategy. It'd be better to get your economy going first, then rush with a larger number of upgraded Ulfsarks, than to just rush with a few weak ones right away.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames