You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.22 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » An idea for a new advanced command for AoM.
Bottom
Topic Subject:An idea for a new advanced command for AoM.
polaris_crd
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 05:08 PM EDT (US)         
My new command is called "Fortify". Here is how it works; You click on the units you want to issue the command to, then click on the fortify button, then click on a building that allows units to garrison millitary units inside. The units will garrison inside like normal, but when enemy units come within the Line of sight of your Fortress or tower, the units will automaticly ungarrison and engage the enemy units. Once the battle is over your units will then garrion inside the target building once more.

This command would be useful to gaurd a key location and to keep units healed after battles. It would also be good for ambushing the enemy because he never really knows how many units are fortified in your buildings.

[This message has been edited by polaris_crd (edited 07-14-2002 @ 05:11 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
BMTP_TiRiTi
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 05:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 22       
sorry but i donīt like that
PunkOffspring_UK
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 05:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 22       
WTF?...hooow annoying would that be??

# You may push me around
But you cannot win
You may throw me down
But I'll rise again
The more you say
The more I defy you, so get out of my face # ~ The Offspring - Defy You
MichaelJDranyar
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 05:30 PM EDT (US)     3 / 22       
thats cool if the building heals the units that are garrisoned like the castles in AOK. otherwise, i dont really see a point except for keeping a tidy base without units scattered all over the place...

also, what if that building is in the middle of your base, and that buildings LOS is not clearly determinable to the user, who gets ****** off when the units dont ungarrison automatically when an enemy attacks buildings that are outside the specific building's LOS, but in the overall base's.

Zlaz
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 07:02 PM EDT (US)     4 / 22       
So then you ungarrison them. I actually think it would be kind of useful. Good idea.
Socvazius
CEO
(id: Angel Socrateius)
posted 14 July 2002 07:35 PM EDT (US)     5 / 22       
I rather like it, it would take one less thing for people to micromanage. The one "problem" in that idea is if your garrisoned building is being attacked by a unit with a greater range. Then, you'd have to manually do everything. I suppose you could make it so that if the building is attacked, the units would pursue the attacker in the same manner than if they were the ones being attacked.

Though it may not be used frequently, the idea(in trying to decrease micromanaging and as a good defensive ability) is pretty good, methinks. Is it worth the time to put in the game? Perhaps.

lief ericson
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 07:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 22       
I like it. *sig test*

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
alexanderTGII
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 07:59 PM EDT (US)     7 / 22       
of course, u could always lead the ungarrisoned troops into an ambush. after all, they aren't supposed to re-garrision until the battle's over.
Matei
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 08:37 PM EDT (US)     8 / 22       
I like it! It's very useful and realistic. And it saves a lot of microing, since you would garison back anyway if you were watching.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
polaris_crd
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 08:54 PM EDT (US)     9 / 22       
@PunkOffspring_UK---I don't see how this command would be annoying. Maybe you just don't understand what it does or how it would be used? Like all commands you would turn it on to use it. It's not going to be good in all places or situations just like the existing commands are not good in all situations.

If the building gets attacked the units will ungarrison also.

Let me give an example to give a better idea of how and why this command would be useful.

Lets say you have an entrance to your base with several towers gaurding the passage. You give the fortify command and your units go into your towers.

The fortify command would stop the enemy from just bypassing your towers and storming your base. It would also protect your choke point.

Hope that helped understand the command...

[This message has been edited by polaris_crd (edited 07-14-2002 @ 09:01 PM).]

polaris_crd
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 08:59 PM EDT (US)     10 / 22       
@alexanderTGII

Units under the fortify command would have a defensive stance, so they would not follow enemies very far before they turned around and head back to their base.

[This message has been edited by polaris_crd (edited 07-14-2002 @ 08:59 PM).]

vladimir87
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 09:28 PM EDT (US)     11 / 22       
Good idea, one problem...

Think about it. You could do it if you wanted, but would it bean advantage... I personally wouldnt want my troops sacraficing themselves against their cost-effective counter when I am not looking... I mean, you have the equivalent of the Teutonic Knight garrisonned in the fortress. You are beset by masses of archers... I dont want my troops falling on the spot when I am not looking... If anything, I want to use these units to lure the archers into the range of the fortress. Or more likely I want to retreat them so I can save them for another time!

It could seriously get out of hand is what I am thinking.., in some cases...

-Vladimir87

alexanderTGII
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 09:56 PM EDT (US)     12 / 22       
yup, if u knew the enemy had them fortified, it'd be easy to build up mass archers and take them out quickly before the guy even had a chance to react.

plus, i'd rather just keep them in the tower to add to the attack, without having them hurt.

Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 10:17 PM EDT (US)     13 / 22       
This idea isn't bad. It could probably use refinements though.

Unless...

=KK-Kong=

Nothing exists except atoms and empty space - all else is just opinion.
"The only thing uncomprehensible about the universe is that it's comprehensible." - Albert Einstein

EE Talon
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 10:30 PM EDT (US)     14 / 22       
I don't like it... It would really get enemies mad, and as vladimir said, it could get your units killed.

Quote:

Wanna see a cool trick?
Hold down CTRL and ALT on your keyboard. Now tap DELETE twice.

I did that, and it came up with this big picture where there is all this text like "Lock Computer", "Log Off", "Shut Down", "Change Password", "Task Manager", and "Cancel". What's so cool about that, other than you found a hidden picture?

Cloud_11
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 10:34 PM EDT (US)     15 / 22       

Quote:

I did that, and it came up with this big picture where there is all this text like "Lock Computer", "Log Off", "Shut Down", "Change Password", "Task Manager", and "Cancel". What's so cool about that, other than you found a hidden picture?

well, u see, not all of us have win 2000

FPH Templar
FPH Clan
God does not play dice. -Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Cloud_11 (edited 07-14-2002 @ 10:36 PM).]

Stone Minotaur
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 10:35 PM EDT (US)     16 / 22       
lol, i do that all the time, lazy non-microers, you always need a button instead of a few clicks!

"In the centre was Phobos (Fear) worked in adamant, unspeakable, staring backwards with eyes that glowed with fire. His mouth was full of teeth in a white row, fearful and daunting, and upon his grim brow hovered frightful Eris (Strife) who arrays the throng of men ...
Moony
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 10:38 PM EDT (US)     17 / 22       

*Has Windows 2000*

My sig version 2.3!
Recipient of the Age of Mythology Multiplayer Test
Templar of FPH Clan
Devotee to the Norse
Uber-atheist
Obsessive compulsive perfectionist

lief ericson
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 10:47 PM EDT (US)     18 / 22       

Quote:

I didn't know it didn't work on W2000. It restarts your computer and you lose everything you were doing at the time.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
rocky_923
Mortal
posted 14 July 2002 11:08 PM EDT (US)     19 / 22       
I think it's a great idea. Although it does have some down points, why not put it in the game? What harm would it do? Those who don't like the command can just choose not to use it!
alexanderTGII
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 00:20 AM EDT (US)     20 / 22       
i have no problem with the command, since i think it would be an advantage if my enemy used it and was busy working on something else.
polaris_crd
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 00:30 AM EDT (US)     21 / 22       
The alternative is having your units stand around blocking the path to your base. They still die if archers or counter units come, right? The problem with your idea is you can't see what the units are when they are fortrified in the building, so how can you make counter units? The other thing is most "Good" players do not make only one type of units to be easily countered. They make mixed units.

[This message has been edited by polaris_crd (edited 07-15-2002 @ 00:36 AM).]

The_Avenger772
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 05:06 AM EDT (US)     22 / 22       
*sob* i have W2000.. i tried out your trick... *sob* i didn't see anything k00l... so i started pressing all the buttons... *sob* then.. then... *UNCONTROLLABLE SOB*
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames