Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Mummies
Bottom
Topic Subject:Mummies
redcoat219
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 01:33 AM EDT (US)         
Another unit rambling by redcoat : ) Ok i remember reading somewhere when people complained that mummies were pure hollywood and were never a egyption myth unit besides being a wrapped up dead guy in a grave..... ES came back and said no no mummies were really part of egyption mythology.... i would have to strongly disagree with that... im a huge fan of egyption mythology (anubis is my fav) and there is no book/website/person i know that has ever heard of or seen a mythology story about the dead getting up in their rappings and walking around terrorising things.... after people were mummified in egypt they were said to either get ready for another life or go into a nother world sorta like the underworld in greek mythology.... so really there is no mythology of mummies getting up and freakin people out... it is hollywood and folk tales (after the fall of egypt)
AuthorReplies:
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 02:56 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
But then again egypt had no myths about snakes spitting venom on soldiers or Horus's offspring carrying two swords and slicing people in battlefields. Gameplay over realism.
The_Avenger772
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 04:49 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
precisely. There WERE no mummies in egyptian mythology, as I recall (but then I might recall wrong ), but then what fun is egyptian mythology without mummies? I like those ones that strangle themselves trying to walk *snicker*
Questionaire
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 06:20 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
No undead in eggy myth?
That's a new one...

Im' Here & there & everywhere...

[This message has been edited by Captain_Aneurism (edited 13-13-1645 @ 00:88 RZ)]
[This message has been edited by No one in particular (edited 19-19-3152@ 25:61 MP)]
[This message has been edited by a bored invidual (edited 00-00-566 BC @ 11:11 LX)]
The_Avenger772
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 07:21 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
undead, just no mummies.

none of those zombies covered in smelly paper with stiff legs and arms.

Matei
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 08:20 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
Didn't they say though that whoever disturbs a ruler's tomb is cursed? That could be what ES is picking up on. Also, there was a god (Osiris?) who was mummified.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
Nero
Mortal
(id: Richard the God)
posted 15 July 2002 11:39 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
anubites our straight from the film the mummy returns.

NERO
"Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season. One word and one word only: Super Bowl."
- Bill Peterson, football coach

BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 01:09 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13       

Quote:

Didn't they say though that whoever disturbs a ruler's tomb is cursed?

Hollywood did, egyptian mythology didn't.

InsaneCow
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 01:14 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,503,0,all
I just used the simple search... redcoat you could have found DS's explanation in that thread...

I lost in the AOE3H FRR
Support Gay Pride!
Michael Jackson is innocent!
G-Dubs is the greatest president evah!
rutamrane
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 01:55 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
I am of the opinion that a big conspiracy is underway at ES. The mummies must have requested a role in AOM....the rest, left for wild imgaination.

Actually, Gameplay dominates over reality...even if one hates the fact that ES is using characters off their own imagination and not evident myths, still one would like playing the game with the same characters. Mere eyecandy is great enough a reason to include extras.

Specifically for mummies, the hype created is what ES may be using for their own advantage. When you think of undead, we associate it with Egypt. So a good strategy followed by ES according to me.

E.A.T Webmaster ::.::.:
Webmaster :: The Allied Forces Networks
http://commandos2.gamerspulse.com
And an Alpha Tester for Age of Mythology
Jus
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 02:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
Egypt has no mummies? Then what are all those embalmed pharoahs called?

The mummies may all be dead but they do exists. And as ES did with the anubite, 'poetic license'.

Besides, I think even if the mummy may not make an appearance in the game, they need to create a mummy model or something for the campaign.

Socvazius
CEO
(id: Angel Socrateius)
posted 15 July 2002 02:34 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Well...if the game was actually totally realistic...it wouldn't have any mythology in it at all...

Angel Socvazius | Chief Executive Officer, HeavenGames LLC
"As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!"
HeavenGames | Join the Facebook Group | The HG Blog
Soccy's Periodic Obsession: ROFLCon
Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 03:09 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       

Quote:

anubites our straight from the film the mummy returns.

Yeah, and they're cool! They're among my list of favorite units. I wish they could jump walls by themselves, though. That would be awesome .

CC_Straight_Og
Mortal
posted 15 July 2002 04:25 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
I'll argue that the average, uneducated Egyptian was probably scared of mummies.

The walls of tombs were covered in all kinds of magic spells, the tombs were dark and dangerous, and most people have a natural fear of dead bodies.

This would be enough to give the average person the creeps. I can also image parents telling their children scary stories about mummies rising from their graves if the kids didn't eat all their chick peas.

So, if you were an Egyptian farmer and came across a shriveled corpse while plowing your field you'd probably be scared at first. I mean you'd eventually throw it into the river and give the femur to your dog, but there would be that moment of hesitation. That's enough to start a myth.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames