You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.52 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » 2 things that i hate about this game:
Bottom
Topic Subject:2 things that i hate about this game:
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Huggles
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:04 PM EDT (US)         
Music: the music is bland, it doesn't pump you up. For example the music in WC3 is andrenaline pumping, action, its more vibrant and powerful. However the music in this game is very boring.

Unit graphics: I find the models of different units to be very small. I prefer the model sizes of WC3. Also the unique units like Kraken, cyclops etc..etc are very small in scale. I mean the Kraken should be a huge, but in this game its size of a peanut. WTF??

AuthorReplies:
MarkPD
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:08 PM EDT (US)     1 / 52       
Uhh, you're judging the game by the unit scale? Ok... Doesn't that sound kind of dumb to you? Or the sound? Did you even play the game, did you have an opinion, let's say, GAMEPLAY?

MarkPD
ZN: LKS_Deutsch_2
AIM: Wraith 2 MPD
E-Mail:
wetwilly_33__@hotmail.com
"Take back for answer, that we are not here to sue for peace, but are ready to fight for the freedom of our country!"-William Wallace
I AM CANADIAN
Zalpacuiztli
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:09 PM EDT (US)     2 / 52       
Music: I agree, but it's not too bad

Unit graphics: Are better than WC3's and they're small because everything is big, and the kraken and cyclops aren't as big as they should because that way you will have the game screen full of huge monsters

"I HATE THE WORLD AND IT HATES ME TOO"
Loser of Mithrandir_88's Non-Award for Losing the "Whoever Gets the Last Post Loses" Thread
Winner of the "Craziest Forummer Award" AoMH Semi-Annual Awards '03
Co-Author of the Aztec Civilization Outline for AOM

[This message has been edited by Zalpacuiztli (edited 10-30-2002 @ 09:10 PM).]

Jazzman
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 52       
Demo or full version? Demo music is always crap, usually it's a midi file in place of mp3 or wav, which is completely and 100% crap. I can't speak about anything else, but you should never judge music based on a demo.

War doesn't decide who's right. It only decides who's left.
Huggles
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:11 PM EDT (US)     4 / 52       
MarkPD: gameplay, graphics, everything else in this is game is *excellent* except for the above 2 faults.

I do think the unit scales in this game are abit too small. That doesn't make the game bad, it just mean i have to use a magnifier glass to see my units. :P

I'm still dissapointed with the music in this game.

edit. i'm using the full version.

[This message has been edited by Huggles (edited 10-30-2002 @ 09:14 PM).]

sidgu
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 52       
The music IS disappointing. Its by no means 'battle music'. At best its average. (And thats what the music of all the AGE games was to me - Average, non-pumpy, un-battle-like music.. hey, thats just me).

For sounds, im playing the DEMO, so maybe with a BETA (or a full version may comment) .. arent the Units supposed to 'squel' or 'scream' when they get Head-Butted by the Minotaur?

Huggles
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:24 PM EDT (US)     6 / 52       

Quote:

For sounds, im playing the DEMO, so maybe with a BETA (or a full version may comment) .. arent the Units supposed to 'squel' or 'scream' when they get Head-Butted by the Minotaur?

I'm not talking about sounds the units make, those are fine.

i'm talking about the background music. It doesn't seem vibrant enough for me, it just seems mellow.

Chaos_Gi
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:25 PM EDT (US)     7 / 52       
yes, it will be better if the unit scale up by 15~20%, (i know it can zoom). IMHO AOE1's unit size is perfect
Belrick
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:30 PM EDT (US)     8 / 52       
In regards to AOM vs WC3 graphics and unit sizes.

First of all understand this.
A: Polygons in 3d models, the more u have the lower your frame rate.

B: Textures ie: the paint on the model, hardly slows down pc's at all, 1024 by 1024 textures are easily handled by todays pc's.

So what WC3 did was increase unit size or camera zoom in order to have fewer polys on screen at once and made up for it by having highly detailed textures.

AOM is zoomed out allowing u to have more units on screen which is great for those that like large battle stratagy but really limits how detailed the models can be as the number of polys would rise dramatically if the models were highly detailed. Because of the zoom it also prevents highly detailed textures as u obviously cant go smaller in details than physical pixels.

horses for courses. 12 unit armies vs 70 unit armies.

Zlaz
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:37 PM EDT (US)     9 / 52       
If you want bigger units zoom in (+) key. And i belive there are only two of the total songs in this demo. And i dont know whether you've noticed but the music does get a bit better during large battles.
Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:40 PM EDT (US)     10 / 52       
No need to bother with Huggles, he's a smurf. Proof? Joined today and posted two threads about the same thing right away. Besides, using words like hates and sucks pretty much qualifies for being ignored by themselves.
Intrepid
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:43 PM EDT (US)     11 / 52       
I don't know what you are all talking about. I found the music to be incredibly impressive, possibly the second best score in a game that I have encountered in my gaming life. The first is Chrono Trigger of course.
The Viking Lord
Banned
posted 30 October 2002 09:45 PM EDT (US)     12 / 52       

Quoted from Kaziglu Bey
:

No need to bother with Huggles, he's a smurf. Proof?

True, it is an old trick every good forummer has learned. They create a smurf to express their opinions without making their main name look stupid. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, that is, if they can express it without sounding like a complete moron as a few people have managed to do so far.

[This message has been edited by The Viking Lord (edited 10-30-2002 @ 09:46 PM).]

Huggles
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 09:52 PM EDT (US)     13 / 52       

Quote:

True, it is an old trick every good forummer has learned. They create a smurf to express their opinions without making their main name look stupid.

Your so wrong. First of all i just got this game today, and i just registered today. I have no clue what smurf, whatever your talking about. ::confused::

Quote:

I found the music to be incredibly impressive, possibly the second best score in a game that I have encountered in my gaming life.

Your being sarcastic right? Music in a game is suppose to match the theme of the game. Do you have UT or any fps game, the music matches the atmosphere and the fighting scenes.IT brings you closer to the game, and its uplifting and enjoyable to play with.

I find the music in this game very dull, its doesn't do the game justice. I guess they devs had to cuts some corners so thats why the music is soo lame.

The Viking Lord
Banned
posted 30 October 2002 09:59 PM EDT (US)     14 / 52       

Quoted from Huggles:

I have no clue what smurf, whatever your talking about.

I have no idea how a bue person with a silly white hat became a symbol for a person using another name to post. Quite frankly you can say whatever you wish, I don't care either way whether you are smurf or not.

Quoted from Huggles:

find the music in this game very dull, its doesn't do the game justice.

In AoK, I was really unimpressed with the music and found myself playing other music of my choice in the background. If you enjoy the gameplay and the fellowship in playing the game, don't let something really simple ruin your game. Just turn the game music to mute and play something of your choice in the background. Question though, are you playing the demo or the full game?
Huggles
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 10:02 PM EDT (US)     15 / 52       

Quote:

Question though, are you playing the demo or the full game?

I'm playing the full version.

Intrepid
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 10:14 PM EDT (US)     16 / 52       
No, I am not being sarcastic. I do in fact actually enjoy the music in AoM. I find it fits the game nicely, not every game needs "Hell March" in its score to be superb. Not to say that "Hell March" isn't a good track, I like that piece of music as well; it jars the senses nicely. It is also clear from listening to the music that the employees at ES actually did some research as some of the tracks have a very distinct flavor to them that corresponds to the various civilizations.

Quote:

Do you have UT or any fps game, the music matches the atmosphere and the fighting scenes. IT brings you closer to the game, and its uplifting and enjoyable to play with.

The last time I played Unreal Tournament I feel asleep at the keyboard, so it is safe to say I did not find the tracks in that game heart pounding. Although my falling asleep while playing that particular game was not due to its score, but rather its dismal gameplay.

polaris_crd
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 10:14 PM EDT (US)     17 / 52       
The music in AoM is a slight variant of AoK plus an "epic" feel that fits each of the 3 Cultures. The music isn't bad, but it isn't that great. I actually kind of like the Egyptian music, but I do agree the music doesn't move me like some scores do. Unreal Tournament music does fit the theme very well. A++. In Starcraft the Music for the intro and the Protoss Race was amazing the first time I heard it. I like the epic feel of the music for the Orcs in WCIII. Music is like icing on the cake, but a game has to have good gameplay too. AoM more then makes up for the lack of music with Gameplay.

My hobby is playing video games, and my dream is to someday get paid to do it.
Thaddeus Rein
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 10:39 PM EDT (US)     18 / 52       
i've only played the demo, and i know it's only a demo, but

MAN THE MUSIC IS HORRIBLE!

i say this not because it is really bad, only that as compared to the rest of the game, it is a tremendous letdown. i don't notice a huge evolution from one age game to the next. in addition, if this is, as es contends, not AOE III, then why is the music so similar? i was hoping for more of a 'clash of the titans' vs. 'sword and the sorcerer' feel streaming through the music

Daveguy_700
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 10:46 PM EDT (US)     19 / 52       
Okay, don't you think you can settle for just a little bit of mellow music for a change??

I mean, do you really want some super-hard-rock-die-hard music playing in the background when all there is on the screen is a town center and some villagers?

It just depends on the setting.

***Daveguy_700***
The Sword of Archon | Post your best jokes here! | Daveguy_700@hotmail.com | Proud member of the PW clan!
"If you choose a job you like, you do not have to work a day in your life" -umm...some...guy....
"Not all who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

STUFF
BigSmashedHat
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 10:49 PM EDT (US)     20 / 52       
I dont know bout the rest of u but usually my first step in RTS is to turn the music off anyway.
Usually i put my own music on in the background.
AOK music wasnt good anyway.
Chaos_Gi
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 10:56 PM EDT (US)     21 / 52       
when i playing AOM online, i am too busy to care about the music.
Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 11:04 PM EDT (US)     22 / 52       

Quote:

I dont know bout the rest of u but usually my first step in RTS is to turn the music off anyway.

Same here. That goes for most other games too. Certainly with action games where there is a thick adrenaline pumping score because it gets in the way of the critical sounds that helps you play. Those scores I turn off without even listening to them in multiplayer games.

Wich is why I like the AoM score. It adds a lot to atmosphere without getting in the way. And when a major battle occurs it steps up and works to make sure my attention is brought to it. If there had been that type of battle music all the time I would have turned it off the first game I played and never turned it back on again. Sometimes nowadays I get the feeling that a lot of people just want things to be cool and exciting, even if it works against the game itself.

Huggles
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 11:19 PM EDT (US)     23 / 52       

wtf, i can't believe some of you are defending the crap music in this game. Now i've seen it all, if your defending the lame music, then your a *fanboy*

Or you need a better sound card, because i've played alot of games, i can recognize great music from average. And this game doesn't have it, the music is awful.

[This message has been edited by Huggles (edited 10-30-2002 @ 11:19 PM).]

Daveguy_700
Mortal
posted 30 October 2002 11:56 PM EDT (US)     24 / 52       
Why is is awful? because its not some super-hard-rock-die-hard-heavy-metal-song-thing? I for one can concentrate better if there is calm music in the background.

But, everyone is entitled to their opinion...

***Daveguy_700***
The Sword of Archon | Post your best jokes here! | Daveguy_700@hotmail.com | Proud member of the PW clan!
"If you choose a job you like, you do not have to work a day in your life" -umm...some...guy....
"Not all who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

STUFF
Kumar Shah
Mortal
posted 31 October 2002 00:07 AM EDT (US)     25 / 52       

another hate music thread, hate graphics scale thread..wasnt the unit sizes visible in Screenshot

IMO the game music is quite nice.

Music back than wouldnt have been rock and pop

also, the unit sizes and zoom allowed better micro...coz WC3 was a hero-oriented game...this is not. U need to micro, and micro well...

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
Age_of_Monkies
Mortal
posted 31 October 2002 00:21 AM EDT (US)     26 / 52       
Has anyone play the Total War series? I have a pretty decent high end system and I can't run the Medieval one at maximum settings. The game generates hundres/thousands of units using lots of polygons during a battle and it lags like a B@$#%! My point is if you want to have a fun game you have to give up a little graphic quality or else it will lag a lot. My two cents
MythoGod
Mortal
posted 31 October 2002 00:29 AM EDT (US)     27 / 52       
Its not that you have to tone down the graphics in a game in order to make it fun, they do that so more people will buy the game because they have a system that can run it. I am sure they would love to utilize all the graphic abilities available right now, but then the game would be very expensive in order to supplement less people buying it.

Quote:

Unit graphics: I find the models of different units to be very small. I prefer the model sizes of WC3. Also the unique units like Kraken, cyclops etc..etc are very small in scale. I mean the Kraken should be a huge, but in this game its size of a peanut. WTF??

I do like the bigger units in WC3, i zoom in on the screen so everything is bigger. i remember though when i first saw WC3, i was like, wtf is up with this. I was use to playing AOK all the time and I am sure i will get use to the graphics of AOM.

Huggles
Mortal
posted 31 October 2002 00:30 AM EDT (US)     28 / 52       

Quote:

Why is is awful? because its not some super-hard-rock-die-hard-heavy-metal-song-thing?

You've obviously misunderstood me. Have you played warcraft3?

Well i suggest you play WC3 and choose the elves. The music soundtracks for the elves is friggin awesome.

Or better yet, play as the undead, the music is just as great and spooky. They're times that i got the goosebumps just listening to the soundtracks.

Thats the type of music i want to listen to, not some looped 2minute hackjob that is currently in the game.

[This message has been edited by Huggles (edited 10-31-2002 @ 00:35 AM).]

Socrates
Mortal
posted 31 October 2002 00:35 AM EDT (US)     29 / 52       
Someone's probably mentioned this, but the music reacts to what the player is doing. If you sit waiting for battle music, you'll get peace music. Send a few dudes to attack if you want some more dramatic music.
MythoGod
Mortal
posted 31 October 2002 00:39 AM EDT (US)     30 / 52       
I don't really ever recognize music in games, i am sure if i am in deep combat with an opponent, i will stop a minute so i can listen to the music and reflect on it.... I just play the game, not to much time to listen to the music really, i would rather them concentrate on balancing the game and having good graphic than having good music.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames