You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » would this work for the game?
Bottom
Topic Subject:would this work for the game?
CrazyKnight
Mortal
posted 12 November 2002 08:59 PM EDT (US)         
Hey everyone. I have a question about the minimum req. for AOM. I really want this game and it says that you need 128 MB of RAM to play it (like most modern games) but I only have 126 MB :-( instead of spending $45 on more RAM, does anyone know if AOM will work with 126 MB? Please answer only if you know the answer. I don't want to buy the game because and have it not work because some person thought he/she was trying to be funny. Thanks.
AuthorReplies:
Enraged Orange
Mortal
(id: RoboPaul88)
posted 12 November 2002 09:03 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
Try downloading the demo. I think they have the same system requirements.
Erchamion
Mortal
posted 12 November 2002 09:08 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
Actually, I saw a 128 meg SDRAM chip for 5 $ (w/ rebate) at compUSA. and a 256 mg chip would cost you like 25$. ram is very, very cheap right now. im waiting for the prices for 512 chips to go down . DDR (double-density) ram is better than SDRAM (something something something RAM). in fact, its double as good .
CrazyKnight
Mortal
posted 12 November 2002 09:09 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
I was going to do that if I didn't find out if 126 MB would work or not, but it will take at least 15 hours on my 56K modem and I only have ONE phone line, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I would rather not have to buy any RAM if I can help it, though. Thanks for responding.

[This message has been edited by CrazyKnight (edited 11-12-2002 @ 09:10 PM).]

AzN
Forumer
(id: AznKnightmare)
posted 12 November 2002 09:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20       
Not possible to have 126 RAM... it says 126 but you have 128.
RAM only comes in 64, 128, 256, 512 (new RAM at least..)

Also, 128 is good enough to play. Even if you some how got 126 RAM, that 2MBs would not matter too much.
Depending on how fast your processor is and how good your video card is, you should.

If you can tell what you have exactly, use:
SiSoftware Sandra

Angel AzN | News Editor Lead EH, HeavenGames LLC
"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" -Admiral Farragut, Civil War Battle of Mobile Bay
HeavenGames Empires Heaven | 3DMark05 Score 3DMark03 Score | WearYELLOW
CrazyKnight
Mortal
posted 12 November 2002 09:12 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
Well, my computer says that it has 126.26 MB. Other games (like the Iron Storm demo and America's Army) also do not work on my computer, although I am not sure it is because of RAM though. When you say --RAM only comes in 64, 128, 256, 512 (new RAM at least..)--how do you define new RAM? My computer is from 2000 built by Dell with SDRAM.

[This message has been edited by CrazyKnight (edited 11-12-2002 @ 09:17 PM).]

Sahnai
Mortal
posted 12 November 2002 09:21 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20       
Dude, spend the money and get yourself up to 512, or it will run poorly.

-Cross (a 512 chip of DDR costs about $100)

optikal
Mortal
posted 12 November 2002 10:21 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
I don't know what he means by new ram, but for as long as I know, RAM has been like 64, 128 etc. I am sure you have 128MB of RAM.

Do you have an intergrated graphics card?? Looks like there goes your 2MB..

Nightwolf2k
Mortal
posted 13 November 2002 01:16 AM EDT (US)     8 / 20       
New RAM as in ram that has been recently made.

NiGhTwOlF leader of the SWP (Shadow wolf pack)
Winner of most deadly forumer award.
Soon to be AOM champion ofAucklandWORLD.
Lkysammy
Mortal
posted 13 November 2002 01:20 AM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
I have 128 ddr and can do 2v2 ok.
CrazyKnight
Mortal
posted 13 November 2002 05:08 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20       
What are your system specs? If they are like mine, then I can probably play
the_necromancer
Mortal
posted 13 November 2002 06:07 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
that just means your firmware (think thats it) (no im not mixing anything up with hardware or software) has discovered a fault in your chip and has excludedthose bytes from use.

i say go to comp usa and buy some more, add it on and youl get up to 360 somthin.

go for it

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."-Winston Churchill
Liquidtruth
Mortal
posted 13 November 2002 07:19 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20       
Most likely, the reason you have 126 MB's of RAM instead of 128, is because you have onboard video. I think the cause of those others games not working has nothing to do with your RAM and everything to do with the onboard video. I would, as someone else already has, suggest that you download the demo to see if it will run. You may only be on dial-up with one phone line, but try installing a program like GetRight,http://www.getright.com.

You can then download the demo using GetRight, disconnect, and when you connect again it will start downloading. It may take you a bit of time, but this way you won't have to go out and buy more RAM, or the game, to find out it won't help.

Though if I were you, I would look into getting a new video card while upgrading your RAM. It was mentioned before that the price of RAM now is rather cheap, and you can get a decent video card for about $100... Or less, depending on where you live. http://www.nvidia.com

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear you bought a Dell. And just to clear some things up.. SDRAM stands for Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory and DDR stands for Double Data Rate.

..." What was the start of all this? When did the cogs of fate begin to turn? Perhaps it is impossible to grasp that answer now, from deep within the flow of time. But, for a certainty, back then, we loved so many, yet hated so much, we hurt others and were hurt ourselves.... Yet even then we ran like the wind, whilst out laughter echoed, under cerulean skies. "...
nbrettell
Mortal
posted 13 November 2002 09:12 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20       

Quote:

I have 128 ddr and can do 2v2 ok.

Yeah, but thats ddr... it should cope fine.

Quote:

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear you bought a Dell.

Why? Whats wrong with a Dell?

Sterling_Boo
Mortal
posted 13 November 2002 10:16 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
Simple answer to this is your RAM won't be the problem, it will be your video card.

3 of my roomates could not play this game cause their video cards were not up to speed. 2 of them bought new computers.

I doubt that even 512 will make a difference unless you get a new video card.

Liquidtruth
Mortal
posted 13 November 2002 11:59 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20       

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear you bought a Dell.

Why? Whats wrong with a Dell?

Dell, HP, IBM, Compaq... All of them seem to love to cut certain, in my mind, important corners to deliver a cheap price. No one who wants a gaming computer should buy one. Now, if you're looking for a workstation, want to write some e-mail, surf the net, or make word documents all day long then getting a Dell should be fine. But if you want to do something serious with your computer... Get a Clone.

Of course, all of this is just opinion. You may feel different, others might agree with me, in the end it hardly matters.

[This message has been edited by Liquidtruth (edited 11-14-2002 @ 00:05 AM).]

HalfAwake
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 00:35 AM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
The question then becomes: why does Dell NEED such great tech support? Ouch.

But 16 MB video is incredible. I remember that ES had initially wanted to make the game compatible w/most computers. Seems that the idea got scrapped in the recent trend of games that tax the most advanced systems at their launch date... Stupid video card-the one that came w/my computer didn't even support 3D acceleration!! Maybe it's a conspiracy! Nah...

Funky_Chicken
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 00:45 AM EDT (US)     17 / 20       
What he probably means by old RAM is less than 64mb's, about, 4mb's used to be loads etc.

I don't think the games system requirements are too taxing, unreal tournament 2003's are massive (like 1ghz processor)

petero
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 05:20 AM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
who in his right head buys a packard hell or complaq???
they put it full of software that makes your puter WAY slower
you don't even get a normal bootscreen where you can tweak, cause it's made for blondes :-|
i know...cause i reinstall puters a lot
i once took a compag and formatted it...then downloaded all the drivers and did a reinstall WITHOUT the backupdisks
the poor thing ran almost twice as fast after that
ALWAYS buy a clone
and your problem isn't RAM, though it'd make the game run better and more stable
must be your vid card, if it's an onboard one i'm not surprised you have trouble (cutting corners as liquid said)
do yourself a favor and get a nice 32Mb at least, and your troubles will be over

CrazyKnight
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 05:31 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20       
Thanks for the help. I have Getright and I am 75% done downloading the demo. I can't wait!
CC_Straight_Og
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 07:05 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20       

Quote:

Dell, HP, IBM, Compaq... All of them seem to love to cut certain, in my mind, important corners to deliver a cheap price. No one who wants a gaming computer should buy one.

I don't know if you're aware that you can customize a computer on Dell's website. You pick every piece of hardware in the system before you buy it. So, if you get a crappy computer from Dell than you don't know much about computers.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames