You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » X-Pack wish list for Ensemble
Bottom
Topic Subject:X-Pack wish list for Ensemble
IDCAMS
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 01:26 PM EDT (US)         
What about an X-Pack Wish list for da Boyz at Ensemble:

Features I'd Like to See (Limit to 3)
New Civ I'd like to see (limit to 1)
New God Powers I'd Like to See (Limit to 4)
Fixes I'd like to See (Limit to 3)

Here's Mine

Features:

1.) More Towers (Myth Towers, like lightning, Fireball, Ice towers), Bombard Towers. And towers looking more unique based on each civ. So Egyptian towers look MUCH different than say a Greek tower etc.

2.) New Units. Ok check this out:

a> You play eggies You can choose a heroic God who opens a gate to the Underworld and you can make Undead units and buildings. Like Graveyards, Spirit Towers, (Think that movie they made: THE MUMMY)

b> Norse can follow a heroic god that allows a portal to Asgard and allows for new Asgardian Units and Buildings. (Think hammer tower, Lightning tower, Dwarven Warriors etc etc)

Same type of things for all civs but another Heroic thing they opponant could do that could completely change how you were playing.

3.) More God choices when you age. (Maybe 4 choices each time you age) I feel this would really mix up multiplayer and allow for alot of unpredictable opponants

New Civ: Arabians or Asian (Think alladin, genies, efreets, scimitars etc.) (If Asian then Cho Ko Nos, Dragons, Ninjas etc)

New GPs: (In order of Age. Age is represented by the preceding number)
2.) Cease (Cancels any ongoing god power, i.e. a God power with a timer)
2.) Whispering Winds (Allows you 'hear' everything your enemy types)
3.) Aqueducts (Increases each town hall Pop Limit by 3)
4.) Strike Blind (Target opponants screen goes BLACK for a 30 Second Count. This is something most game designers don't mess with, the person playing. Like Strike Dumb where a players mouse just moves randomly for 30 seconds etc etc)

Fixes
1.) I shouldn't be able to see trees falling down inside the fog of war. (Currently you can)
2.) I think Walls/Fortresses should have more pierce/crush/hack armor
3.) Burning old needs to get heated up and gain the ability to do Area Damage.

AuthorReplies:
The Fenris Wolf
Banned
posted 14 November 2002 02:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
Why didn't oyu post that in the other thread.........
WhoAskedU
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 02:09 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       

Quote:

More God choices when you age. (Maybe 4 choices each time you age) I feel this would really mix up multiplayer and allow for alot of unpredictable opponants

Im think 3 choices each age would be adequate enough, there is only 3 gods (as of now) per age (except 4th age, which has Unique gods) and they would only have to make an extra god. example...

Major Diety 1: Minor god A & B
Major Diety 2: Minor god A & C
Major Diety 3: Minor god B & C

now with the expansion...

Major Diety 1: Minor god A B & D
Major Diety 2: Minor god A B & C
Major Diety 3: Minor god B C & D

Quote:

> You play eggies You can choose a heroic God who opens a gate to the Underworld and you can make Undead units and buildings. Like Graveyards, Spirit Towers, (Think that movie they made: THE MUMMY)

Movies aren't always very historically (or "mythically") accurate... This isn't WarCraft 3...we dont need Spirit Towers or Graveuards.

Quote:

New Civ: Arabians or Asian (Think alladin, genies, efreets, scimitars etc.) (If Asian then Cho Ko Nos, Dragons, Ninjas etc)

/ disable Xpack civs
// Civilization = Babylonians / hide from player
// Civilization = Sumerians / hide from player
// Civilization = Lorciferans / hide from player
// Unlock date = 12OCT2003

That hints not only when the Xpack will be shipped (October 12, 2003), but also the Cultures in the XPack... Babylonians, Sumerians, and Lorciferans.

Quote:

New GPs: (In order of Age. Age is represented by the preceding number)
2.) Cease (Cancels any ongoing god power, i.e. a God power with a timer)
2.) Whispering Winds (Allows you 'hear' everything your enemy types)
3.) Aqueducts (Increases each town hall Pop Limit by 3)
4.) Strike Blind (Target opponants screen goes BLACK for a 30 Second Count. This is something most game designers don't mess with, the person playing. Like Strike Dumb where a players mouse just moves randomly for 30 seconds etc etc)

Nice ideas, but those GPs have to match up with gods. like "Zues" couldnt have Cease...thats why he has "Lightening bolt"

At my signal unleash HELL.
God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
•••winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"•••
•••••••Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!•••••••
People just complain about other people's Signatures because
they aren't smart enough to make their own.
TheSmurfster
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 02:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       

Quote:

Whispering Winds (Allows you 'hear' everything your enemy types)

That's actually one of the coolest ideas I have ever heard for a GP. It would have to be like spy, where the enemy doesn't know when you cast it (or else they just won't chat). It would also have to be timed, probably.

Bouncer Says:

"Have A Nice Day!"

TheSmurfster
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 02:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       

Quoted from WhoAskedU:

Movies aren't always very historically (or "mythically") accurate... This isn't WarCraft 3...we dont need Spirit Towers or Graveuards.

Umm, I hate to break it to you, but Anubites were not mythological creatures to the Egyptians. ES pretty much borrowed that from "The Mummy Returns." Mummies were also not mythological creatures - to the Egyptians, they were just embalmed dead guys. They didn't go walking around spitting bugs at people and turning them into minions. There are other examples as well...

ES has remained somewhat accurate with the game, but they are also very liberal in their MUs and GPs.

Quoted from WhoAskedU:

/ disable Xpack civs
// Civilization = Babylonians / hide from player
// Civilization = Sumerians / hide from player
// Civilization = Lorciferans / hide from player
// Unlock date = 12OCT2003

That hints not only when the Xpack will be shipped (October 12, 2003), but also the Cultures in the XPack... Babylonians, Sumerians, and Lorciferans.

Haha, no. This has been explicitly said by ES to be a joke - they put this in just for kicks, to see if anyone would take it seriously. Firstly, the Sumerians and the Babylonians are just too similar to be different civs. Secondly, the Lorciferans are a type of sea organism I think - a little tribute to Dr. Street's experience in, erm, whatever it is he did that had to do with sea organisms. Thirdly, this would be adding 3 new CULTURES into the Xpack - doubling the amount we have now! That would take forever to balance and is just not realistic for an Xpack. Fourthly and finally, I believe Swinger has said on ESO that they put that in just for kicks.

Bouncer Says:

"Have A Nice Day!"

[This message has been edited by TheSmurfster (edited 11-14-2002 @ 02:20 PM).]

WhoAskedU
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 02:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       

Quote:

Umm, I hate to break it to you, but Anubites were not mythological creatures to the Egyptians. ES pretty much borrowed that from "The Mummy Returns." Mummies were also not mythological creatures - to the Egyptians, they were just embalmed dead guys. They didn't go walking around spitting bugs at people and turning them into minions. There are other examples as well...

Umm, I hate to break it to you, but I already knew this. And ES didn’t borrow it from "The Mummy Returns", what they did was say that all the mythological units were children of the actual Monster... Because what would be the fun if you could only have one Myth unit of that type at a time?

And they weren't just embalmed dead guys. Most of the time they were high priests, pharaohs, ECT. Poor laborers didn’t usually have enough money to get there loved ones embalmed.

At my signal unleash HELL.
God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
•••winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"•••
•••••••Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!•••••••
People just complain about other people's Signatures because
they aren't smart enough to make their own.
TheSmurfster
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 02:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       

Quoted from WhoAskedU:

high priests, pharaohs,

You know what I mean. a high priest, by the way, is a "guy," regardless of his priesthood. I just meant to say that, as opposed to the reputation that mummies have gotten only recently as cursed undead coming to life and walking around, the Egyptians had a different idea of them.

Quoted from WhoAskedU:

And ES didn’t borrow it from "The Mummy Returns", what they did was say that all the mythological units were children of the actual Monster

That's a little hard to swallow, considering that the anubites in AoM are practically miniature replicas of the ones in The Mummy Returns, and since there were countless inevitable references and comparisons between the two here on these very forums ("oohh I can't wait for the scen. editor, to recreate the mummy returns final battle" and whatnot). There is nothing wrong with borrowing - ES borrowed everything they did from this game from mythology and history, didn't they? Every game developer borrows, because if they didn't, then there would be no more games, period. Warcraft 3 also borrowed many things, such as Griffon Riders and Orcs.

Bouncer Says:

"Have A Nice Day!"

[This message has been edited by TheSmurfster (edited 11-14-2002 @ 02:29 PM).]

krysar
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 03:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18       

Quote:

You play eggies You can choose a heroic God who opens a gate to the Underworld and you can make Undead units and buildings. Like Graveyards, Spirit Towers, (Think that movie they made: THE MUMMY)

Hey what are you trying to make of this game a horror movie? Those thinks maybe can take part in WC3 but not in mythology orientated rts game. This is not a fantasy game . Some of your other ideas are good but sorry thisone is STUPID.

ESO: MysticR_Talos or sometimes: TTH_Talos_krysar Rating: 1710 +/-
~~§AoM is No.1§~~
Proud member of the Mystic clan.

IDCAMS
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 03:11 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
Anyone else have any wishlist items?

I would thrilled if ES used Fan Based ideas in their next x-pack. (Since it doesn't look like there will be a StarCraft 2 anytime soon....)

Arilou_skiff
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 03:31 PM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
1. Recharging god powers. it would take a lot of time (I'm thinking one hour or so) to recharge, but it would be a good idea.

2. New civs: Aztecs or chinese would probably work, arabian mythology would not (Islam wouldn't work and we don't know much about pre-islamic arabian religion) Would've been cool though. (in fact christianity would work better than islam... islam is *much* more strictly monotheistic than even the most strict form of christianity) Catholicism *could* work though Instead of chosing gods you chose saints. Would be cool but the almighty Church would probably slap ES if they tried... and slap them HARD.

Some sort of african mythology maybe? Or, let's say, a nomadic civ (there are tons of nomadic cultures, pick one) that can move their buildings (in effect ALL their buildings are like Ox-Carts, they gain manueverability but their buildings are also *very* fragile)

3. More options (size of maps, starting age, starting resources) I was surprised a lot of those things were missing.

"This post was brought to you by: FRUNGY! The sport of Kings!"
IDCAMS
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 04:24 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
Map size REALLY surprised me. Normal, Slightly larger than normal are two basic options. What about Huge, Gigantic, Larger then Most, Way beyond Normally Large and Oh My god your arm is going to be sore from scrolling the map.
XCrash_Fish
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 05:14 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18       

Quote:

New civs: Aztecs or chinese would probably work, arabian mythology would not (Islam wouldn't work and we don't know much about pre-islamic arabian religion) Would've been cool though. (in fact christianity would work better than islam... islam is *much* more strictly monotheistic than even the most strict form of christianity) Catholicism *could* work though Instead of chosing gods you chose saints. Would be cool but the almighty Church would probably slap ES if they tried... and slap them HARD.

grrrrr... We dont know anything about pre-islamic religions or YOU dont? I know a lot about them. If you need some pre-Islamic inspiration on the idea, I suggest The Epic of Gilgamesh, first novel ever written. You can also look at any Babylonian or Assyrian document.

Christianity= NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!!!!!

If there isnt a massive AoM burning by Christians, Microsoft would do it for them. so NO!

And further more on that Catholic statement, that would just further the distance between other Christian denominations and Catholics by giving off the idea that Catholics worship saints. And that is wrong. Some people have that idea in their head and making a game about it would just make it 10X worse. so... NO!

sorry for coming off harsh, im just tired of the topic coming up.

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.
Zalpacuiztli
Mortal
posted 14 November 2002 05:22 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
AZTECS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I HATE THE WORLD AND IT HATES ME TOO"
Loser of Mithrandir_88's Non-Award for Losing the "Whoever Gets the Last Post Loses" Thread
Winner of the "Craziest Forummer Award" AoMH Semi-Annual Awards '03
Co-Author of the Aztec Civilization Outline for AOM
hidur666
Banned
posted 14 November 2002 05:43 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
people should stop brining in crappy radical ideas that mislead gamers from the true mythological feeling. I'm not saying it should be orthodox just no corny add-on civs or gps like in the EE expansion.

lol why were people even starting a debate (before es explained) wether or not the civs were true? it had the //lines which mean comment

either i made a mistake or all of those people made moronic mistakes in ommiting the "//" lol sumerians and babylonians r same thing!

Tyrannosaurus
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 08:42 AM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
I have some ideas:

CIVS
Aztecs/Mayans, Native Americans, East Asians, Polynesians (I want to say Hebrews, but there would be too many boycotts.)

ANIMALS
Bison, rhinos, moose, mammoths, leopards/jaguars, poisonous snakes, pythons/anacondas, pirahnas, pterosaurs, saber-toothed cats, wooly rhinos, tree sloths, giant ground sloths, giant armadilloes, Triceratops, long-necked dinosaurs, Stegosaurus, Allosaurus, Velociraptors, gorillas, tigers, Tyrannosaurus Rex, penguins, Australopithecus

FIXES
You get to edit units in the Map Editor
You get to make campaigns
You get to alter game speed

Well, what do you think? (Don't flame, though, as I have already been flamed too much for my tolerance back in the AOKH Forums...)

Tyrannosaurus Rex (meaning "tyrant lizard king" in Latin)
Size: 44-50 ft long, 6-8 tons
Diet: Meat
Also known as: T-Rex

They never said tyrannosaurs couldn't join HG forums...so here I am! (HROOAAARRGGHH!)

[This message has been edited by Tyrannosaurus (edited 11-15-2002 @ 08:29 PM).]

thurdl01
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 09:08 AM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
Mayan. Gain favor through sacrifice. Temples can train high priests who can be sent to sacrifice herding animals for very slight favor (1 or 2), or a villager for a much bigger boost (5-10). I just keep thinking that if they add a new civ, it will have an entirely new way to gain favor. We have favor through prayer, building, and fighting. Sacrifice to the gods seems the next logical step, and one of the Mesoamerican civs seems the best known. Course, that means an oddity of them fighting civs that they had no contact with, but hey, not like there was much interaction between the Norse and Egyptians either

I'd love to have a flying feathered serpant as a myth unit.

It'd be fun to sit down and come up with all the gods, but I'm at work, and probably shouldn't spend times on such thing. Though a list I found does suggest several good dieties and potential powers (I have one idea that's called Second Creation, which would cause five trees in the affected area to become villagers).

- .... ..- .-. -.. .-.. ----- .----
.... --. / -.-. .... . .-. ..- -...
.. ..-. / - .... . / --. . .-. -... .. .-.. / . ... -.-. .- .--. . ... --..-- / .-- . / .- .-. . / .- .-.. .-.. / -.. --- --- -- . -..

[This message has been edited by thurdl01 (edited 11-15-2002 @ 09:20 AM).]

Corbie
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 09:13 AM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
a topic was started on this..THIS MORNING..by a CHERUB ..which means(at least by my logic) that ES is more likely to read THAT ONE.. so why dont you all go over there (it is still on this page) and post your ideas THERE to increase the chances of ES seeing them eh?

and btw.. ES did borrow anubites from the mummy returns. Actually..they said that they just imagined it up..and having them in the mummy returns just gave it a basis in reality. Same with the scorpion man. I could go into a big philisophical cluster fark about how the idea got in there head in the first place..but that would be boring and pointless to most everyone here...so i wont. Suffice to say..Anubites did not come from a historical source..and their appearence in the game can be tied to "The Mummy Returns"

IDCAMS
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 09:21 AM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
I like the sacrifice idea. That could be cool.
Arilou_skiff
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 12:02 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
Actually we DON'T Know much abou pre-islamic arabic mytholgy. We knew they worshipped three goddesses (the "daughters of Allah" but that's basically all. Assyria does NOT lie in Arabia, it is in the mesopotamian region. (Turkey/Iraq/Syria area I think)

I didn't say using catholicism would be a GOOD idea (chinese and/or aztec would be the best IMHO) HOWEVER I said that if they *would* use one of the JCI religions or one of their denominations then a catholic set-up would be the only one that could work. I know as well as you do that catholicism does not worship saints. However, catholics (and orthodox christians) are the christian (and jewish, and islamic) denominations that most resemble the polyethistic cultures in this regard and could use that set-up. (the fact that several gods and their rituals mysteriously was turned into saints don't help matters either...)

"This post was brought to you by: FRUNGY! The sport of Kings!"
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames