You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Random Map vs Static Map
Bottom
Topic Subject:Random Map vs Static Map
jdp311
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 11:17 AM EDT (US)         
What problems would you have with static maps for Age of Mythology? I've found that the random map generator tends to do things a little strange like put more gold or more wood or the majority of the town centers on one side of the map which gives one player an unfair edge.

I like the WC3 way of having pre-made maps which you KNOW are fair however I can see how some things would be a bit screwed in AOM.

For instance always knowing where the closest herd of deer is, where the best place for a castle is, etc.

Do you think it could work? or no?

Obviously, I'm thinking of this for rated games.

AuthorReplies:
Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 11:33 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
Static maps should not be in modern RTS games because it makes the games much more predictable and shortens the lifespan of the game. While anything random will never be perfectly fair it's nothing one can blame a loss on really. Good scouting spots special cases and the first to recognise the situation is usually the one that can draw from it, even if a little bit farther away.
jdp311
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 12:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
What about semi-random maps? Like maybe having the town centers static but everything else changes?

I think they make a big difference. Played a game the other day where I had my original TC, one behind my town, one right next to me and one in the center. My enemy only had one in his area. So I expanded to the one in the center AFAP and he complained about the settlement placement.

And I think he had a real beef.

Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 12:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
That might work and could perhaps even be possible already through the random map scripting. Settlements does not vary as much as resources anyway, so perhaps it's possible to tie them down to a bit more specific geographical locations. However such a map might work well only for 1on1, but I guess for tournament use that would be fine.

I will need to play this game a lot more to say, but so far I haven't seen that much weighting in favor of one player when it comes to their placement.

WK_WOLF
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 03:42 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Warcraft 3 lacks random maps, and this is one of the major problems. Random maps are a great feature in an RTS game. They are essential for the games long life span. WAr3 and starcraft suck, they are dumb games.

-eX_WOLF
Blotter
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 04:40 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
There's a rather lengthy discussion about the pros and cons of randomness in maps here: http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,7327,,all, particularly around post 38 or so.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames