You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » greek fodder...
Bottom
Topic Subject:greek fodder...
Juice2552
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 07:08 PM EDT (US)         
hello all. i'm kinda new to the forums but i've had this game since the day of release and i've been lovin' it(figuratively of course). well so far i've played about 15 games or so(wish it was more but i don't seem to have the time lately) and it seems that no matter what i do, i always get raped by the damn greeks. i don't really have any probs with any other civ. i can't seem to find any counter unit to the hoplites and toxotes kill everything. i've tried different gods and unit combos. maybe i just suck but i'd think that 10 champion elephants+15 champ chariot archers should wipe up on some toxites and hoplites. i guess i just need more practice.

ps what's up PW_DarkKnight? are you in some sort of pittsburgh clan or something?

AuthorReplies:
DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 15 November 2002 07:21 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Nope, I've just had my clan for a while..so for some dumb reason I have it ebfore my HG name

Where are you from anyways?

Anyways, try being the Norse and using a throwing axemen against hoplites, and raiding cavalry against toxotes.

DK
Wagamuffin
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 07:22 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
Hmmm i think he uses a few peltasts as well as toxotes to get bonus damage on your chariot archers .

Actually you could beat that type of army fairly easily by spamming a few hundred axemen and slingers. they come out real fast and really do murder their counter units.

PS: that is why you cant beat hoplites with elephants they are their in-game counter so hoplites get a damage bonus against both elephants and chariot archers (they are both archers and cavalry).

Also mix in 1 or two myth units like the psetutchos or wadjet inot the mix then u shouldnt have much problem anymore.

Just keep an eye out cos if your enemy is smart they will keep altering counters in order to have a leg up over your army (eg: you will start using axemen and slingers, u will own his army, but he will then get some cavalry and own your army in turn), so try to play fast and keep changing your strategies or u will be predictable

Sorry i assume a bit too much from u saying "i would think elephants and chariot archers would stop them"; if you do use many different types of units, then you should try to build more offensively to aid combat (eg: make migdols and towers if you can to keep the ennemy at bay)

In a race between a rock and a pig, never forget your yellow umbrella
Juice2552
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 07:51 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
i've actually tried just about everything i can think of. oh well i'm sure i'll figure it out soon enough. i'd imagine that half of my problem, at least, is that i haven't had enough time to play since i got the game. i work in a hospital and we've had some very time consuming brain surgeries goin' on lately.(i work in neurodiagnostics). and darkknight i live in carnegie right now. where you from??
Adrastos
Mortal
(id: Battles4Glory)
posted 15 November 2002 08:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
PS: that is why you cant beat hoplites with elephants they are their in-game counter so hoplites get a damage bonus against both elephants and chariot archers (they are both archers and cavalry).

Hoplites don't have a bonus against elephants, but they are EFFECTIVE against elephants. Also, chariot archers aren't considered cavalry and archer, only archer, so don't try using anti-cavalry units against them, they'll get chewed up.

|||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||| Now, always be the best, my boy, the bravest, and hold your head up high above the others.
||||||||||||||||||||||| O ksein', anggellein Lakedaimoniois 'oti tede keimetha, tois keinon rhemasi peithamenoi |||||||||||||||||||||||
DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 15 November 2002 08:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Keep practicing, you'll find counters eventually. The best thing is to attempt to pressure his base before he can pump out enough units. Keep making units and try to apply constant atatcks, it works well.

BTW, I live in a township near Aliquippa.

DK
BlumenKohl
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 08:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
/\

Hmmmm, that works usually, but most of the time, if the enemy is good, he'll be the one with all the pushing pressure.

The Genetically Enhanced Cauliflower
Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
Click Here to visit my website.

Erchamion
Mortal
posted 15 November 2002 08:34 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Actually, battles4glory, chariot archers and centaurs count as archers, not cavalry or cavalry archers. I'd assume thats because they are the only 2 units that use horses and are archers, so they simply lumped them into the archers group. just a little nit.

[edit] and blumenkohl, thats not cool. Sure, you thought you were cool the 1st time but now its just annoying... actually it really was never cool. you're just making ppl annoyed. so SHUTUP!

"Skydiving. Good to the last drop."

[This message has been edited by Erchamion (edited 11-15-2002 @ 08:36 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames