You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » What Are the Wonders of AOM?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What Are the Wonders of AOM?
Atlantean Relic
Mortal
posted 13 December 2002 09:13 AM EDT (US)         
What Real-life/Mythical Buildings(things) are they based on ?
AuthorReplies:
The Fenris Wolf
Banned
posted 13 December 2002 09:22 AM EDT (US)     1 / 23       
hades is some tomb, i'll see if i can find a pic

Poseidon is an colluseum

Zeus is the giant Zeus statue from Olymp (city of the games)

Set i believe is the temple of karnak

Ra is a pyramid

Isis is the sfinx

Thor is Yggrasil (giant tree)

Loki is a Dragon Ship (Important vikings were burried in such ships)

Odin is some tower with ravens, although i think it should represent castle asgaard.

all IMO

shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 13 December 2002 09:24 AM EDT (US)     2 / 23       
zeus's wonder, as far as i can tell, just a big statue of zeus.
Poseidon. the collisium? somebody help me out here..
Hades. some big tower, somebody else can surely know the mythological meaning behind it.

Ra. a pyramid, self-explainatory
Set. its an um... yeah..
Isis. um....

Loki, i think this is the ship made of warriors fingernails, somebody back me up?
Odin. no idea really...
Thor. the tree Yggrasil (sp?)

The Fenris Wolf
Banned
posted 13 December 2002 10:13 AM EDT (US)     3 / 23       
Look above shelper

I'm pretty sure the hades one is a tomb and one of the ancient wonders of the world.....*google searches*

The Fenris Wolf
Banned
posted 13 December 2002 10:15 AM EDT (US)     4 / 23       
http://www.crystalinks.com/mausoleumh.jpg

Found!

THE MAUSOLEUM AT HALICARNASSUS

Quoted from crystalinks:

The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus (353 BC) was a monumental marble tomb, decorated by the leading sculptor of the age, for King Mausolus of Caria in Asia Minor; only fragments remain. It was located in the city of Bodrum (f.k.a. Halicarnassus) on the Aegean Sea, in south-west Turkey.

When the Persians expanded their ancient kingdom to include Mesopotamia, Northern India, Syria, Egypt, and Asia Minor, the king could not control his vast empire without the help of local governors or rulers -- the Satraps. Like many other provinces, the kingdom of Caria in the western part of Asia Minor (Turkey) was so far from the Persian capital that it was practically autonomous. From 377 to 353 BC, king Mausollos of Caria reigned and moved his capital to Halicarnassus. Nothing is exciting about Maussollos life except the construction of his tomb. The project was conceived by his wife and sister Artemisia, and the construction might have started during the king's lifetime. The Mausoleum was completed around 350 BC, three years after Maussollos death, and one year after Artemisia's.

For 16 centuries, the Mausoleum remained in good condition until an earthquake caused some damage to the roof and colonnade. In the early fifteenth century, the Knights of St John of Malta invaded the region and built a massive crusader castle. When they decided to fortify it in 1494, they used the stones of the Mausoleum. By 1522, almost every block of the Mausoleum had been disassembled and used for construction

CC_Straight_Og
Mortal
posted 13 December 2002 10:34 AM EDT (US)     5 / 23       
Zeus and Ra's wonders in the game also happen to be included in the RL 7 wonders of the world.
Hel
Mortal
posted 13 December 2002 11:18 AM EDT (US)     6 / 23       
I think it is like this:

Zeus - Statue of Olympia (Olympia, Greece)
Poseidon - Theater of Dionysus in Athens (?) or the one in Delphi (Athens/Delphi, Greece)
Hades - Mausoleum of Halicarnassos (Bodrum, Turkey)

Ra - Pyramid of Gizeh (Cairo, Egypt)
Isis - the Sphinx of Gizeh (Cairo, Egypt)
Set - Abu Simbel (there's another wonder for Set in the game than the one that is on the pic) (Aswan, Egypt)

Odin - Valhalla / Valaskjalf, one of his halls in Asgard (Asgard)
Thor - Yggrdasil, the world tree (universe)
Loki - Naglfari, the "fingernail" ship (now in Niflheim/Helheim)

[This message has been edited by Hel (edited 12-13-2002 @ 11:25 AM).]

Zalpacuiztli
Mortal
posted 13 December 2002 11:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 23       
Poseidon's wonder is the Athens Amphitheater

"I HATE THE WORLD AND IT HATES ME TOO"
Loser of Mithrandir_88's Non-Award for Losing the "Whoever Gets the Last Post Loses" Thread
Winner of the "Craziest Forummer Award" AoMH Semi-Annual Awards '03
Co-Author of the Aztec Civilization Outline for AOM
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 13 December 2002 10:39 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23       
Ra's pyramid doesn't look like one of the pyramids of Giza. It looks more like the (nubian?) ones further south.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
Jamesthetiger
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 01:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23       
Hel...

May I use your research within my FAQ? I will give full credit to you for the work done...

Thanks
James

DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 19 January 2003 02:01 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23       
Zeus's is called The Temple of Zeus I believe, it was built in honor of the Olympics.

DK
Bossman
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 02:15 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23       
The Mausoleum is one of the Real-life Wonders too
SeanIRL
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 02:53 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23       
Wait, is Loki's ship the one that humans were the nails in it?

on the site there was something about that. Like people WERE nails in the ship.

Shusky
Mortal
(id: Silver Husky)
posted 19 January 2003 03:15 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23       

Statue of Zeus in Olympia.

DeaconDragoone
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 04:45 PM EDT (US)     14 / 23       
Okay in Norse Mythology there was a Ship made of human finger nails that Hel built and when Ragnork came Hel would take the dead souls, on this fingernail ship and they will join the gaints and fight against the Asgard. The Norse are the only gods with wounders that are based on Mythology, were the others are based on Real Buildings. Plus Poseidon's Wonder is the Arcoplosies (SP?) But whats funny is me and my friend had the same disscuion yesterday. LOL

[This message has been edited by DeaconDragoone (edited 01-19-2003 @ 04:48 PM).]

Midnight
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 05:45 PM EDT (US)     15 / 23       
This has puzzled me for a long time.

Thor has Yggdrasil - why? It is the World Tree, a magical symbol, and yet it belongs to Thor? Surely Odin, god of (among other things) magic, should have this? He drank from a spring (the Spring of Mimir) near its roots, and he hanged himself by his foot from one of its branches to attain wisdom.

Or I could have missed some extremely important connection between Thor and the tree.

Midnight

Cardak
Mortal
posted 19 January 2003 06:25 PM EDT (US)     16 / 23       
Nice thread. Great posts.

Midnight
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 04:35 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23       
Could someone please explain why Thor gets Yggdrasil? It's not big thing, but it is bugging me (I can't seem to find a connection between the two)

Midnight

tHe fReAk
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 04:56 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23       
Isn't the haft of his hammer made from the tree?

tHe fReAk

"It would be very irresponsible of me to give you my thoughts as you are clearly incapable of handling the ones you already have." - Wulfhere
"There's too many people in this thread who should have been shot in the face a long time ago." - The Outlaw Torn
Midnight
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 05:18 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23       
Hmm, could be. I do find it odd though that all the connections between Yggdrasil and Odin are forgotten (in addition to the hanging and the drinking, the old magical symbolism runs deep). It seems that Thor's connection, through Mjollnir, is weak in comparison.

Any further thoughts?

Midnight

DeaconDragoone
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 05:29 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23       
What would you suggest for Thor's wonder then? A gaint hammer? Or would you switch Thor's and Odin's wonders? Just a simple question, and I don't mean to be rude to anybody.
Midnight
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 06:02 PM EDT (US)     21 / 23       
I'm honestly not sure what I'd suggest for Thor's wonder. Since it has to connect with him, perhaps something symbolically connected? Fire, his Hammer, and the Swastika were all his symbols. Fire could be tricky, a giant Hammer could look silly, and the Swastika is out for obvious reasons. However, he was also known as the 'Defender of Asgard'. Perhaps then, if Odin's Wonder is meant to represent castle Asgard, Odin's and Thor's Wonders could be switched.

Not that it really matters - it's fine as it is!

Midnight

thegreathal
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 07:43 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23       
Ok, i am smart I kno this...

Egyptian--Great Sphinx

Greek-Some giant palace or something, like parthenon. similar to many greek temples

Norse-i think ES couldn't think of anything lol...giant mythical ship? who knows...

--thegreathal
thegreathal@aol.com
Leader of Porpoise Panglobal Productions.
Terrans and Isis rule!!! w00t.
"If you could be either God's worst enemy, or nothing, which would you choose? We're the middle children of history. We have no purpose or place, and unless we get God's attention, we have no hope of damnation OR redemption. Burn the museums. Wipe your *** with the Mona Lisa. This way, at least God'll know your name."--Fight Club, Best Movie of All Time(1999)
The Wrong Guy
Mortal
posted 20 January 2003 07:47 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23       
Ummm...
Was that a joke? Or did you not read any of this thread?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames