You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » ESO still needs work
Bottom
Topic Subject:ESO still needs work
YodaTravis
Mortal
posted 19 December 2002 11:41 AM EDT (US)         
ESO is great in many respects, however I think it is seriously lacking in a couple of areas.

1. Passwords-- I have yet to figure out how to change my password. Surely Microsoft thought of this. What possible reason could there be for not including a way to change passwords. My suggestion would be to add a user maintainence screen to the www.eso.com site.

2. Multiple Accounts -- People having multiple accounts is really annoying. I see no reason why anyone should need multiple accounts. It really bothers me when i go to play and instead of going up against an equally skilled oppenent I lose to a much higher rated player who is posing as a 1600 player with his new account name elitefox37 or whatever. (No offense to elitefox personally, cause everyone is doing it.) Then I get knocked back down to 1600 and I destroy some noob who I shouldn't be playing because I should be rated 1700. That is very annoying. I would tie user Accounts to CD Keys so that if you want a new user Account you have to buy another copy of the game. I guess if you want an account that bad then there is nothing MS can do about it.

3. Winning Percentage -- I would remove this stat entirely. It is meaningless. The point to the stats on ESO should be to see how good a player is relative to other players. Over the long haul everyone should be somewhere between 40-60 percent and so it is fairly irrelevant.

Let me know if you disagree or if you would like to see additional changes. Or, if you work for ES then let me know why things are the way they are and if they will be changed in the near future.

AuthorReplies:
dragons89
Mortal
posted 19 December 2002 11:51 AM EDT (US)     1 / 23       
I agree with #1, but not the other two. At the very least there should be an option of being able to change your screen name, but keep the ratings.

Give me money, and I might feel generous enough to say something kind.
--My The Ultimate AOK Guide--
--My The Ultimate AOM Guide
Barcalounger
Mortal
posted 19 December 2002 11:51 AM EDT (US)     2 / 23       
You should also be able to see your own and everybody elses stats on eso.com. It's annoying to have to start up the game see what your rating is, or research what the top players are doing, especially when you're at work and have to look busy.
fhertlein
Mortal
posted 19 December 2002 11:59 AM EDT (US)     3 / 23       
I actually have two accounts. The first is for playing with some buddies of mine, the second for rated.
bigboss
Mortal
posted 19 December 2002 12:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23       
After thinking about it, you are right. The winning percentage stat is totally meaningless. It is especially worthless for comparisions because one person could be playing only one major god (like fox_elitex, elitex1, elitex2, brasilianboy... being Ra in almost every match ), and someone else could be several gods. I feel that a person with a slightly lower rating and winning percentage that plays a variety of gods has more skill than someone who only plays as one god.

Multiple accounts also makes the ratings in general a lot less meaningful. I was reading the readme for the latest Empire Earth patch (I have never played the game), and they have an ability to ignore people by CD key. ESO should switch to a system like that where ratings are tied to a certain CD key. It would also be great because then you could ignore or add friends based on CD key instead of a username that can be changed at will. It still amazes me that ES seems to place a lot of importance on ratings, yet makes them nearly worthless by allowing people to essentially reset their rating at any time.

DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 19 December 2002 02:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23       
I like seeing the winning %

DK
SlakTheEldar
Mortal
posted 19 December 2002 03:02 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23       
As has been mentioned elsewhere, limiting CD-Keys to 1 account is not a viable option, given that an entire family can legitimately play the game.

I agree that winning percentage is useless, and actually causes many smurf accounts. I'm sure a lot of smurf accounts are created "so that I can get 1800+ with 100%". Many people do not understand that the purpose of the rating system is to give them games that they can expect to win 50% of the time. Or maybe they do understand that and their frail ego crumbles each time they lose.

I really don't know what the solution is, particularly given the frail egos that can't take a loss. Perhaps ratings can slowly revert to 1600 given a certain period of inactivity. This would prevent 1 person from having the Top 50 names.

Anyone that has an account for "testing new strats" or "one for each civ" falls under this frail ego category. Have some fun, don't get your ego tied to some meaningless rating.

As for the frail egos, perhaps ES could limit CD-Keys (I know I'm going back on what I said initially) to something like 20 accounts. Probably twice as many as needed by a legit family, but enough to make life difficult for smurfs. Not sure what impact this would have on Internet Cafes, but if their CD-Keys have a different format, then exceptions could be made.

One last thing, to make AoM "clan-friendly" (personally, the day I join a clan is the day I die), perhaps Accounts could consist of two parts: ClanName and UserName. The UserName would have the rating associated to it, and the ClanName would simply be used for display (and whatever else clans do).

Cheers,
Slak

proq
Mortal
posted 19 December 2002 03:17 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23       
Let's just agree that ES could have spent more time planning ESO... the only good thing they have is the advanced rating system which consists of a large equation. Just look at the zsl file... It looks like they give you points by how fast you kill, how many units you killed, how many units you didn't let die, and a poopload of more stuff like that.

I personally wouldn't mind if ES would have putoff the release to work on ESO.

Proud member of Tsunami Studios
as a
scripter of some sort
ESO: Zeusthor
c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 19 December 2002 07:56 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23       
I agree with #1, disagree with #2, and don't care about #2.

People can have multiple accounts if they have other family members playing. Also, you can do advanced setup to avoid getting matched against good people with a new account.

Maximus_
Mortal
posted 19 December 2002 07:59 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23       

Quote:

Let's just agree that ES could have spent more time planning ESO

Mabey, but would you have wanted to wait longer for the game?

Yeah, there are things wrong here and there, but its their first one,k give them a break.

\\ Maximus //
0=]============[=0
Amazing Persón Extróidinare
Msn/Email:Mrnobody010@hotmail.com
.°*˜Phantom Warriors˜*°.
˜*°.°*˜˜*°.°*˜
Flammifer
Hero
posted 19 December 2002 08:08 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23       
1. yeah, I find this odd too. Just one of those things you expect to be there.

2. I don't want to go to rediculous extremes if I do what to change my name. Yet I do don't like seeing people with several names in the top slots. I really doubt it's the kind of image es wants about quick setup.

3. I agree completely. I would like to see a win percentage by major god. This could provide some very useful and interesting information.

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 19 December 2002 08:52 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23       
ESO went through a drastic change after the alpha.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
Lord_Igor
Mortal
posted 20 December 2002 06:38 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23       
i played a game today wel i played alot but one of them i played 2v2 and they all were noobs and i owned them all ....and then i thought ah that wasnt funny poor noobs but anyways ah il atleast get some points for the bothering and then when my stats are showen I LIKE WTF!! i lost 30points!!! why the hell is that?? couse i played with noobs? but it wasnt my fault its ESo who choose them! but i got thoose 30points fast though but anyway! have this happened to anyone else?
Matei
Mortal
posted 20 December 2002 07:27 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23       
I agree with 1. However, mutliple accounts are indispensable when people want (a) to have several children in a family play the game online, (b) to change their nickname, and (c) to play again after losing their password or nickname. Winning percent is a kinda useless stat but it's harmless to have it there.

I would suggest setting a lower cap for ratings at 1600 to prevent people from making too many accounts.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
duM
Mortal
posted 20 December 2002 07:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 23       
winning stat aint that bad, its fun to see how many games you win.

and alot of people wouldn't paly this gmae if they were restricted to 1 username. My younger brother, older brother and dad all play this game. You think i would like it if my dad went on my name in rated?????

c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 20 December 2002 07:51 PM EDT (US)     15 / 23       
What if he could own everyone?

YodaTravis
Mortal
posted 21 December 2002 11:23 AM EDT (US)     16 / 23       
Basically, what I am saying is that people should be willing to pay 35.oo for a "Rated Account"; and your brother, father, uncle, cousin, whoever can play all they want under non-rated advanced setup. Thus one account per CD should be sufficient.
proq
Mortal
posted 21 December 2002 11:44 AM EDT (US)     17 / 23       
oh yes... not everyone is a the only child in a family like u seem to be (or your one very bossy brother). Siblings do play rated together in seperate names... why would one sibling have to play nonrated and the other can do what he wants just cuz u say it should be that way?

Proud member of Tsunami Studios
as a
scripter of some sort
ESO: Zeusthor
YodaTravis
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 04:24 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23       
If you are serious about playing rated AOM then drop 35.oo for a CD. If you aren't serious, then you dont need to play rated games. That is my argument in a nutshell.
Ferrari_Warrior
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 04:42 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23       
my primary beef with ESO continues to be mulitplayer (advanced setup) which is just horrible.

considering how many people are online now (I usually see like 1700 + when I play) no one is using it either...

you only see like 18 open games at any one time....I realize the one's in process are no loger listed but still...

having to refresh the screen manually all the time is pathetic too...

DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 23 December 2002 04:48 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23       

Quote:

having to refresh the screen manually all the time is pathetic too...

I think most games requires a manual refresh, except maybe the zone.

I really haven't had problems finding a game...if you can't find one...host one

DK
petero
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 05:01 PM EDT (US)     21 / 23       
My main complaint with eso is this:
I played 4 rated games today and it was fine
5th wouldn't start
went to advanced...same story
and this is not the first time

VisualRoute Report for www.eso.com produced at 22:53 on 23 december 2002. www.eso.com is not accepting ICMP packets. Roundtrip time to 216.142.240.26 average = 420ms min = 380ms max = 468ms

and i have cable for gods sake
WHEN it runs it runs fine
but sometimes like now i just get kicked

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 08:26 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23       
Hmmm...while we're discussing our share of quirks...

Today I started a quick match. It said match found. Game starting. The map is anatolia...but the player list wasn't quite right.

TheShadowDawn (17whatever it was at the time)
Player 2 (0)

It generated a map with just me on it. The game ended 5 seconds later.

Go figure.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
Nobull
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 09:15 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23       
Why are you arguing about it though? If they make a new username, their score will go back down to 1600, and by the time theyve played the same amount of games, their score will be almost exactly as they left it when they ditched the other one. It would be a waste of time to make a new one!

i never really liked playing AOM multiplayer on the internet, I dont see much point in trying to get a good score(except to show that you suck or rule the game).

I like playing with freinds over network, its much more fun and you can annoy them when you win!

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames